Author Topic: AFFLICTION Comments....  (Read 1674 times)

bigbalddaddy

• Getbig IV
AFFLICTION Comments....
« on: July 21, 2008, 12:45:05 PM »
Open discussion about the Affliction card;

-Personally I bought it just to watch Fedor.  But I must say that the production was way better than UFC IMO.  Having Michael Buffer announce the "WORLD UNDISPUTED" Heavyweight Champion will undoubtedly salidfy in most peoples mind that Fedor is legit regardless if it's the first fight you've ever watched or not just by having Michael saying it.  That guy talks and people listen!  With all of the boxing fans crossing over they will see Big John, Michael Buffer and the type of show and jump on the wagon.  Personally I think Dana is in trouble.  Elite XC was a joke, it's done, no way can it compete with a real deal production like that.  Trigg, Glazer, McCarthy, Michael Buffer (not the wanna be brother) and a big cast....man, that organization is going to take off!  Tito was in the crowd hanging out so you know he's licking his chops.  Randy in the ring looking Fedor eye to eye...come on man, this thing could hurt the UFC and I don't give a rats ass what Dana thinks...Plus, Dana's big match between Tim and Fedor just happened...hahaha Tim lasted what?  A few seconds?  DESTROYED him!  People love the heavyweight division regardless of what it's in...they love the power of the K.O, not some 155lb technical crack head chess match.  "True" MMA fans don't pay the bills...it's the regular people who buy all the PPV's, T-shirts, etc that want to see the big knockout action!

Thoughts?

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
Re: AFFLICTION Comments....
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2008, 12:48:24 PM »
Agree 100% one of the greatest cards I have ever seen, and I have seen many of them! It was really good seeing Arvloski back in good form.

Geo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2008, 12:53:07 PM »
didn't see the PPV but I did get a chance to see Fedor/Sylvia....

as long as Affliction holds on to Fedor they definitely have a great chance of competing and even surpassing the UFC cards.....

and I absolutely love the fact that they're using a ring and not that Cage ..

now let's see what they can do with the lower weight class guys

chixlegs

• Getbig III
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2008, 01:17:01 PM »
I don't know yet.  I hope they do well, but they need to bring some guys in who can compete with Fedor.  Nobody is going to pay $40 to watch Fedor disembowel some UFC castoff in under a minute over and over.  That will get old real fast. 

Fedor is nasty, but he runs the risk of becoming irrelevant if he can't hook up with an organization that can promote themselves well, stay profitable, and give him a challenging matchup.

TheIronWarrior

• Getbig II
  • Do you know Meecho?
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2008, 01:19:23 PM »
Damn good topic man. Although I did not purchase the PPV, I wish I had. Based on all of the hype and comments on how good the show was has me anticipating the next event. I think Affliction will continue to get some of the 'big' names to fight, and that will definitely build a fan base. True, UFC fanboys need to recognize that this could be a very competitive organization. Too damn bad that there is no more Pride. The ring instead of the cage was a good move.

Geo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2008, 01:46:58 PM »

Fedor is nasty, but he runs the risk of becoming irrelevant if he can't hook up with an organization that can promote themselves

fedor will never become irrelevant....

when you break it down, every new MMA fan that really wants to become a REAL fan will have to trace back through history and learn how and why the sport has evolved to the point it's at now,and you can't do that without your path leading right through the pride days....

I think (or so it seems) Dana thinks he can bring new fans into the sport by dismissing what pride mean't to the sport....

on one hand he brings in Handerson and recognizes him as the pride heavy and light heavy champion,but when it come to fedor he completely dismiss's the fact that he was the champ there...

now with affliction making a title  (WAMMA heavywieght champ)to carry over,that's all gonna come to an end and  nogueras title won't mean shit to longtime fans

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2008, 03:57:10 PM »
from wht i understand it was an average card at best!
Z

chixlegs

• Getbig III
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2008, 05:58:01 AM »
when you break it down, every new MMA fan that really wants to become a REAL fan will have to trace back through history and learn how and why the sport has evolved to the point it's at now,and you can't do that without your path leading right through the pride days....

This is true to some degree but remember that the UFC existed before pride.  Guys like Frank Shamrock and Mark Kerr were big shots in the UFC, then they went to pride b/c the money was better and the UFC was in trouble.  None the less, Fedor will fade into the oblivion of becoming a historical figure if he doesn't fight interesting, current, challenging opponents.  Its like Tom Brady going to play football in Canada, just not the same level of competition.

Maybe Affliction will provide that competition, I hope they do, but I still think Fedor should have signed with the UFC.  I think it was a mistake for him to not sign with them.  He'd be fighting Couture right now, which is supposedly what he and everyone else wants.

Dball

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2008, 08:11:36 PM »
from wht i understand it was an average card at best!

Don't be stubborn, Bluto.  The card had amazing Depth on it.  I was afraid that they would come out WWE style and embarass the sport like EliteXC did, but I was pleasently surprised with the whole thing.

They need to go back and look ot the camera work on the old PRIDE tapes and learn a bit about fight lighting and filming, but that was my only complaint, and I was reaching for that one.

Geo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2008, 08:19:26 PM »
I think affliction should consider their next move to be gettin Gomi under contract for the lighter weights if they wanna compete with UFC

Filho would'nt be a bad idea either

Dreadlord

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2008, 12:46:54 AM »
I think the UFC has already begun the scramble to lock up the key fighters into contracts. I read somewhere that they were considering acquiring IFL. Maybe a rumor. The existing roster will probably do a wait and see game to gauge what Afflictions staying power is. No point in jumping ship if the new Dawg goes down after a couple of years and they have to crawl back to the UFC. Even when Tim left the UFC he made sure he left on good terms just in case.

Either way it will be an interesting year for fight fans. We now have a potentially good alternative to the UFC.
More fight cards for us to watch  :D

Logan32

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2008, 07:14:11 AM »
Great fight card. The only thing negative I can say the production value was a bit off but if you go back and watch the early UFC's their production value pretty much suck elephant sack.....

Dreadlord

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2008, 10:55:42 AM »
i thought the pointing out/naming all  (B/C level)celebrities in the audience was a bit corny.

Dball

« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2008, 12:30:09 PM »
i thought the pointing out/naming all  (B/C level)celebrities in the audience was a bit corny.

Very unlike having Mandy Moore or Laura Prepon pointed out at every UFC PPV.

Dreadlord

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2008, 08:40:02 PM »
Very unlike having Mandy Moore or Laura Prepon pointed out at every UFC PPV.

Yeah but at least that stuff is muted at the UFC now. Back then they would have people interviewing the celebrities, multiple shots of Shaq etc etc

Wait- let me correct myself - they still DO interviews whenever they are plugging new tv shows/movies