Author Topic: The truth about knife fighting  (Read 5301 times)

Zaphod

• Getbig IV
  • IFBB Mr Canada 1970
The truth about knife fighting
« on: August 01, 2008, 02:42:39 PM »
I was thinking of getting a switchblade for self defese but then I came across this:

http://www.nononsenseselfdefense.com/knifelies.html

Lie #3 "But what if I'm cornered?"
Common sense tells us that knife fighting is dangerous. And yet, like a dog circling a bear's den -- where a smarter part of it knows not to wake that sleeping bear,  yet another, more instinctive part is urging it on  -- many people who train in knife fight have the same torn desires. One of the biggest issues goading these people is Do they have what it takes?".

Unlike dogs, however, human beings have the ability for self-deception and rationalization. And one of the ways that we human fool ourselves is that we fantasize about situations where we would be able to give ourselves permission to find out if we "have  it."   Such people strongly resist the idea that knife fighting is a bad place to go. It is literally as though they are seeking to find an excuse.

One of the strongest indicator of this fantasy mindset is the reaction when they are told to flee instead of fighting with a knife, literally the next words out of their mouths will be "But what if I am cornered and can't run?" There are many such similar excuses that they can use and they all start with the word but: "but what if I am with old people or children and can't run?", "But what if I am out of shape (or infirm) and can't run?" In all cases, of the millions of possible options  available they always seem to focus on the one that requires them to engage in a knife fight.

The truth is, it is incredibly difficult to "corner" someone who is determined to leave. Basically because he will use your face as traction or squirt through the smallest of holes.  However, if the person's desire not to engage in physical violence is stronger than his desire to leave, it is very easy to corner someone. If you ask any experienced  LEO, corrections officer or mental ward orderly which they would rather face, a person who wants to fight them, or someone who will climb over them to escape, to a man they will tell you the former. They know the latter will hurt them more and be harder to defeat. That's because that person is fully committed to a course of action. Whereas a person who has allowed themselves to be "cornered" will still be of a divided heart and therefore not able to fight at full capacity. And that is exactly what it will take in order to survive such a "no win" situation that they have put themselves into.

That is the true danger of this kind of thinking. Because part of you does want to know if you have what it takes and "can do it," you can unconsciously trick yourself into not taking appropriate precautions and ignoring danger signals.  Your pride and ego will blind you about what you are doing until it is too late.  Once there however, your life -- if it continues past that moment -- will be utterly destroyed.

Don't fantasize about being in a situation where you have to use your knife fighting skills, because you can end up tricking yourself into just such a situation by blinding yourself to possible escape routes.

Ex Coelis

• Getbig V
Re: The truth about knife fighting
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2008, 02:46:24 PM »
the first thing the army taught me about knife fighting was this:

"if you get into a knife fight, expect to get cut. once you get over that you'll do fine"

true story

Zaphod

• Getbig IV
  • IFBB Mr Canada 1970
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2008, 02:46:24 PM »
Lie #17 You can successfully fight an armed attacker

This entire page has been dedicated to disproving this lie. The main reason it is a lie is that you cannot "fight" an armed opponent. You can survive against one and you might even be able to successfully put him down before he causes you any major damage...but, whatever you do, it must be fast, effective and brutal. If it isn't, then you will not stop him before he causes you major damage.

You cannot stand there and engage in a long, drawn out contest with an armed opponent. If you try to do so, you will lose. It is not a matter of if, but of when.

Simply stated, every time he touches you with the knife he will cause serious damage. How can you hope to launch a long drawn out retaliation against him when every time he touches you he causes "biomechanical cutting" on you? You are going to bleed out and cease to function long before your strategy comes to fruition.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2008, 02:55:24 PM »
Once the attacker is inside 21 feet with that knife, you can be killed very quickly.

So it's a good idea to be ready to cap him as he approaches that inivisible line.

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2008, 02:57:17 PM »
Once the attacker is inside 21 feet with that knife, you can be killed very quickly.

So it's a good idea to be ready to cap him as he approaches that inivisible line.

is this leading up to you posting a picture of yourself with a gun?
Z

calfzilla

• Getbig V
  • YUMAN FILTH!
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2008, 02:58:14 PM »
Get the knife so if a gang of unarmed hooligans attack you, you will be able to slice and dice.  

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2008, 03:03:50 PM »
Z

20inch calves

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2008, 03:07:30 PM »

this idea is what they teach police..they actually change it to 30ft. if someone gets in that range it is possible for him to cut you before you can get your weapon out..
irongearco.com

emn1964

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2008, 03:08:03 PM »

bingo!  so true.  you'd be surprised how fast that shit goes down too.

20inch calves

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2008, 03:09:34 PM »
bingo!  so true.  you'd be surprised how fast that shit goes down too.

like i said in my above post its now 30ft.
irongearco.com

T-Bag

• Getbig II
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2008, 03:11:10 PM »

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2008, 03:12:34 PM »

like i said in my above post its now 30ft.

never get closer than 30ft to anyone, ever.

if the guy on the bus had followed that rule he would live today.

this tip also works wonders when it comes to sexually transmitted diseases.
Z

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2008, 05:01:13 PM »
Matt C carries a knife.

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2008, 05:06:52 PM »
Matt C carries a knife.
True, but Ron easily disarmed him with a timeout.  :-\

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2008, 05:07:47 PM »
Touche` !!  :)

shiftedShapes

• Getbig IV
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2008, 05:11:45 PM »
never get closer than 30ft to anyone, ever.

if the guy on the bus had followed that rule he would live today.

this tip also works wonders when it comes to sexually transmitted diseases.

LOL

gordiano

• Getbig V
  • TEAM "CUTE PENIS", TEAM TRIFLIN' RONNIE COLEMAN
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2008, 05:30:06 PM »
Matt C carries a knife.

Are you sure? I thought it was a Spork?

HAHA, RON.....

burn2live

• Getbig IV
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2008, 05:57:31 PM »
Are you sure? I thought it was a Spork?

lol

Stark

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2008, 02:18:18 AM »
I got stabbed not once but twice I mean on two occasions, first time had the guy in a headlook hitting him as hard as I can in his kidneys and back (think of having his head in a lock but the other way around) I couldn't see his hands and he had a small knife and was hacking away at my legs and ass.
Didn't feel much apart from the warm stuff that was running down my leg, when I took my jeans off I knew I was in trouble.
When they gave me stitches in the Hospital I tried to impress the good looking nurse by requesting to be stitched up without anesthetics ::) course they didn't do it.

Second time another fight and the guy is raising the stakes by going after me with a knife swinging not stabbing, got badly cut on the upper arm (when you see past the yellow fat you know you got it good :D ) and got cut a couple of times on the other leg as well.

Thing is you always bleed a lot of course but you KNOW when you have been cut at a part that is life threatning, when the heart pushes the blood out and you can see the heart beet you are in deep shit.

marcus

• Getbig IV
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2008, 02:35:41 AM »
Knife beats gun  :D

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2008, 02:37:05 AM »
I got stabbed not once but twice I mean on two occasions, first time had the guy in a headlook hitting him as hard as I can in his kidneys and back (think of having his head in a lock but the other way around) I couldn't see his hands and he had a small knife and was hacking away at my legs and ass.
Didn't feel much apart from the warm stuff that was running down my leg, when I took my jeans off I knew I was in trouble.
When they gave me stitches in the Hospital I tried to impress the good looking nurse by requesting to be stitched up without anesthetics ::) course they didn't do it.

Second time another fight and the guy is raising the stakes by going after me with a knife swinging not stabbing, got badly cut on the upper arm (when you see past the yellow fat you know you got it good :D ) and got cut a couple of times on the other leg as well.

Thing is you always bleed a lot of course but you KNOW when you have been cut at a part that is life threatning, when the heart pushes the blood out and you can see the heart beet you are in deep shit.

what was the names of those video games?
Z

Monster81

• Getbig IV
« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2008, 02:40:27 AM »
Matt C carries a knife.

it was a butter knife

Stark

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2008, 03:00:16 AM »
what was the names of those video games?

they were called real life, awesome game give it a shot :D

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2008, 03:12:31 AM »
they were called real life, awesome game give it a shot :D

oh brother another getbig tough guy
Z

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2008, 04:12:32 AM »
it was a butter knife

;D

I would love to pull that out in a real bad situation.  The laughter would diffuse all tension immediately.