Author Topic: Tyson replaces Labor Day with Muslim Eid al-Fitr  (Read 3804 times)

youandme

• Getbig V
Tyson replaces Labor Day with Muslim Eid al-Fitr
« on: August 05, 2008, 03:24:13 PM »
Boycott tyson, I hope Muslims make up for the lost American dollars.

Tyson replaces Labor Day with Muslim Eid al-Fitr
Chicken company: Workers wanted Islamic religious event recognized

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Posted: August 02, 2008
12:10 am Eastern

By Bob Unruh
© 2008 WorldNetDaily

A Labor Day parade from the early 1900s

Food workers at the Shelbyville, Tenn., plant for Tyson Foods, which boasts on its corporate website that it strives "to honor God," will have time off for Eid al-Fitr, the Muslim holiday closing the month of Ramadan, instead of the American tradition Labor Day.

Officials with the company told WND the labor union representing the 1,200 plant workers, including about 700 immigrants from Somalia who largely are Muslim, sought the holiday change in the new five-year contract, and the company agreed.

Officials with the Retail, Wholesale and Department Store Union issued a press statement about the new "contract [that] creates an additional paid holiday, [Eid al-Fitr,] a Muslim holiday that occurs toward the end of Ramadan."

A spokeswoman at the union's office told WND no one was in the office today who could comment on the request.

To the Shelbyville Times-Gazette, Gary Mickelson, Tyson's media chief, said there is no new holiday, but at the union's request the company agreed to discontinue the Labor Day holiday and implement Eid al-Fitr.

(Story continues below)

"Union leadership did request and receive Eid al-Fitr ... as a paid holiday in place of Labor Day," Mickelson told the newspaper.

"Since all Team Members will still have eight paid holidays, the change will not affect production," Mickelson said.

On the paper's forum page, readers were outraged.

"If this holiday is that important to them, make them take it off instead of Christmas Day and allow ALL workers to be off Labor Day. Most AMERICAN families have some type of function on Labor Day," wrote one participant.

"It says union leadership made this request, makes you wonder who runs the union. I guess they are already working on a plan to replace Memorial Day, that means nothing to the Muslims so why should we have the right to celebrate it. Labor Day commemorates the plight of workers and the struggle of labor unions to improve working conditions for American workers. The Muslims will not stop until all of our rights and laws are changed to accommodate their beliefs. This will be a new America but it will be their America," said another.

The union boasts on its website, "Diversity is one of the strengths of our union. … We may come from different countries and speak different languages. But what unites us is the belief that by standing together we can better advance our interests."

The holiday comes at the conclusion of the month-long Ramadan for Muslims, but it is not on the same day each year. Officials with Tyson said they were working out how best to address what apparently now will be a floating holiday for the company.

Mickelson said other days off for the company workers include birthdays, New Year's Day, Martin Luther King Jr. Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Thanksgiving Day and Christmas Day.

Union spokesman Randy Hadley told the newspaper, "The negotiating committee felt this was extremely crucial, since this holiday is as important to Muslims as Christmas is to Christians."

The union also reported "two prayer rooms have been created to allow Muslim workers to pray twice a day and return to work without leaving the plant."

Ironically, the company on its website also promotes a variety of traditional and customary Christian and secular blessings for food – its primary product.

Another forum participant said immigrants should adjust to American culture, not the other way around.

"This is America, founded by the blood of our forefathers and should not be challenged by Somalians, Hispanics, or any other immigrants. If they come to America, they need to learn our language and our ways. They can practice their culture in private if they so please, but not shove it down our throats. Would they let us go there and change there country? I have banned Tyson's products from my home for years because of the illegals they were hiring. I am sorry for the producers that are supplying them, but Tyson's has once again crossed the line with the American people. Labor Day was here long before Tyson's. What holiday will be next to be taken away and replaced to accommodate an immigrant. This stinks worse than the plant," the forum participant said.

"Disgusting ... appalling ... horrifying ... there just aren't enough words to describe this situation. There will never be another Tyson product in my home EVER!! Bedford County and the rest of the nation needs to take notice. Is this what we are coming to?" said another.

A Muslim website says the holiday is a "joyous three-day celebration" that concludes Ramadan, during which Muslims fast during the day.

According to the U.S. Department of Labor, the Labor Day national holiday dates from Sept. 5, 1882, and is "dedicated to the social and economic achievements of American workers. It constitutes a yearly national tribute to the contributions workers have made to the strength, prosperity, and well-being of our country."

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
Re: Tyson replaces Labor Day with Muslim Eid al-Fitr
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2008, 04:14:38 PM »
This is classic.

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2008, 04:31:11 PM »

"Since all Team Members will still have eight paid holidays, the change will not affect production," Mickelson said.

Mickelson said other days off for the company workers include birthdays, New Year's Day, Martin Luther King Jr. Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Thanksgiving Day and Christmas Day.

OK, so with the addition of Eid, ...that makes 7 holidays.
What is the 8th religious holiday Tyson's also recognizes, but was omitted from that article? (for whatever reason)   ::)

Here is the company's statements regarding their Core Principles:

We are a company of people engaged in the production of food, seeking to pursue truth and integrity, and committed to creating value for our shareholders, our customers, and our people in the process.

Who we are:
  • We strive to be a company of diverse people working together to produce food.
  • We strive to be honorable people.
  • We strive to be a faith-friendly company.

What we do:
  • We feed our families, the nation, and the world with trusted food products.
  • We serve as stewards of the animals, land, and environment entrusted to us.
  • We strive to provide a safe work environment for our Team Members.

How we do it:
  • We strive to earn consistent and satisfactory profits for our shareholders and to invest in our people, products, and processes.
  • We strive to operate with integrity and trust in all we do.
  • We strive to honor God and be respectful of each other, our customers, and other stakeholders.

How are their stated "Core Principles" in anyway violated by granting their workers something they requested.

It would be rather hypocritical for a self professed 'faith friendly company that strives to honour God' and be respectful of each other to deny it's workers a paid religious holiday wouldn't it? Especially one they requested?

If they took a religious holiday away from one group of workers to give a religious holiday to a different group, then you'd have a reason to bitch, ...but they instead took 'Labour Day' ...a decidely "Liberal" non religious holiday, so they could be consistent and honour a religious holiday celebrated by close to 60% of it's work force?

What is your problem youandme?

Obviously the workers at Tyson's don't have a problem with it?
Your big grievance is that Labour made a request of mgmt, ...and mgmt honoured that request?  ::)

This is a total non-issue, and simply nothing more than an attempt to stir up hatred towards Muslims.

You go ahead and boycott Tyson's if you want, ...but know this, Tyson's is on the forefront of providing renewable fuels from feedstock. Put them out of business, ...and the price you pay atthe pump, ...not to mention for all your goods & services will continue to escalate.

You should pick your battles wisely, ...and this one isn't it.
w

2ND COMING

• Getbig V
  • Might is right.
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2008, 04:36:06 PM »
where the fuck do you dig up this un-irrelevant shit?

as long as whites are in majority, your in good hands  ::)

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2008, 04:40:20 PM »
where the fuck do you dig up this un-irrelevant shit?

as long as whites are in majority, your in good hands  ::)

Is that a triple negative? What on earth is un-irrelevant?
 I've never encountered that word before. are you saying this is relevant
w

2ND COMING

• Getbig V
  • Might is right.
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2008, 04:52:19 PM »
 yes. yes i am.

youandme

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2008, 04:52:19 PM »
but at the union's request the company agreed to discontinue the Labor Day holiday and implement Eid al-Fitr.

1,200 plant workers, including about 700 immigrants from Somalia who largely are Muslim, sought the holiday change in the new five-year contract, and the company agreed.

Clearly a case of majority of the tyranny, American's are speaking out though.

Seeing as how it's based on principle, it's not irrelevent, alot of people care not to take away American Holidays in place of Muslim holidays, paid or not.

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2008, 04:55:01 PM »
but at the union's request the company agreed to discontinue the Labor Day holiday and implement Eid al-Fitr.

1,200 plant workers, including about 700 immigrants from Somalia who largely are Muslim, sought the holiday change in the new five-year contract, and the company agreed.

Seeing as how it's based on principle, it's not irrelevent, alot of people care not to take away American Holidays in place of Muslim holidays, paid or not.

What difference does it make to tyson?   

youandme

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2008, 04:59:03 PM »
What difference does it make to tyson?   

No difference, still a blank "holiday" that requires pay to the executives. But to American's they replaced an American Holiday with a religious holiday, a Muslim Holiday.

What would happen if we replaced Labour Day with another Christian Holiday, the ACLU would be all over it.

It many not matter to you, but that is your opinion.

Fury

• Getbig V
  • All aboard the USS Leverage
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2008, 04:59:31 PM »
Hope all of you fags have been conditioning your knees for kneeling on a carpet five times a day. Hahahaha, all hail the Islamic States of America. Allah Akbar. Praise Allah. GOD IS GREAT. GOD IS GREAT. ALLAH AKBARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR RRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2008, 05:01:03 PM »

I believe what you're trying to say is tyranny of the majority. why is it called democracy when you agree with it, and tyranny of the majority when you do not.

Labour day is not an "American holiday. it is celebrated throughout many countries. it is a Liberal holiday in the sense that it commemorates the left's fight to win worker rights. But just the same if it is celebrated by 60% of it's workforce, what's your problem?

I think you bolded the wrong parts in that sentence. here's the relevant parts.

What's your problem?  Do you work in a Tyson's chicken plant?
w

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2008, 05:05:23 PM »
No difference, still a blank "holiday" that requires pay to the executives. But to American's they replaced an American Holiday with a religious holiday, a Muslim Holiday.

What would happen if we replaced Labour Day with another Christian Holiday, the ACLU would be all over it.

It many not matter to you, but that is your opinion.

I wonder if that's true?   Because it's a company replacing what day they give a paid holiday for to cater to the majority of their employees.   It's not a state or the US government doing it.  That would be an entirely different thing.

I don't think the ACLU wold be all over it NOT because they appear anti-religious in your eyes, but because it's a company making a decision based on a union's request.  If it was a state agency, you can bet they would be involved if there was an opposition to it by christian state employees.

I see it from a business stand point, mainly because i'  mself employed.   And i see the difference between a private enterprise and a state or government agency and not let my political bias cloud my objectivity here. 

youandme

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2008, 05:08:37 PM »
I believe what you're trying to say is tyranny of the majority. why is it called democracy when you agree with it, and tyranny of the majority when you do not.

What's your problem?  Do you work in a Tyson's chicken plant?

Thanks Einstein the 160 IQ comes in handy.  ;)

No I have a problem, with replacing an American Holiday with a Muslim Holiday.

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2008, 05:10:03 PM »
Thanks Einstein the 160 IQ comes in handy.  ;)

No I have a problem, with replacing an American Holiday with a Muslim Holiday.

It's really no different when a person requests a paid day off and then works on a holiday. 

I agree, it's not exactly encouraging news, but tyson hired these people, not you or i.

youandme

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2008, 05:19:32 PM »
It's really no different when a person requests a paid day off and then works on a holiday. 

I agree, it's not exactly encouraging news, but tyson hired these people, not you or i.

True, but like I said it was the principle. I thought Tyson stood for the working family, that wanted to buy tyson chicken and have a grill on Labour Day? Not rice pilaf a curry on a Muslim Holiday...

I would say it is discouraging, 1200 people in the union 700 Muslim, how many actually got to vote against it, how many for it?

The company should have more respect for the country they do business in, rather than the people they employee.

My family employees a Mexican IT guy, that does not mean they are going to have a fiesta everyday, even if they hire another and they both agree they should have fiestas, get to work, this is America and you go by American holidays not your own!

You don't speak English leave.
You want to change an American holiday for your Muslim holiday leave.

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2008, 05:25:20 PM »
True, but like I said it was the principle. I thought Tyson stood for the working family, that wanted to buy tyson chicken and have a grill on Labour Day? Not rice pilaf a curry on a Muslim Holiday...

I would say it is discouraging, 1200 people in the union 700 Muslim, how many actually got to vote against it, how many for it?

The company should have more respect for the country they do business in, rather than the people they employee.

My family employees a Mexican IT guy, that does not mean they are going to have a fiesta everyday, even if they hire another and they both agree they should have fiestas, get to work, this is America and you go by American holidays not your own!

You don't speak English leave.
You want to change an American holiday for your Muslim holiday leave.

I hear ya.  And i agree it's not exactly right for anyone who is not muslim.   

However, no one is changing the holiday.  they are only changing what holiday they pay for.

youandme

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2008, 06:02:07 PM »

I hear ya.  And i agree it's not exactly right for anyone who is not muslim.   

However, no one is changing the holiday.  they are only changing what holiday they pay for.

Sure. But it's like that sory Alex23 told, where he went in to the break room, and the guy was praying with the lights on, haha Alex flipped the light on and went about his business, only to have the HR dept breathe down his neck.

When do people say enough with things that are not American, assimilate into our culture and our holidays. If I worked for Tyson, and I was not Muslim I would rather be paid, for an American Holiday,,,,not a Muslim holiday.

TerminalPower

• Getbig III
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2008, 06:45:24 PM »
Here is how I am going to handle this dumb fucking company Tyson...I will starve myself and family to death before I buy anything these terrorist sympathizers make until they change their policy.

Nordic Superman

• Getbig V
  • Hesitation doesn't come easily in this blood...
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2008, 08:05:20 AM »
Jag la moslem quickly to the aid of the islamist agenda.
الاسلام هو شيطانية

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2008, 09:44:15 AM »
I think I can beat Mike Tyson.

Fury

• Getbig V
  • All aboard the USS Leverage
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2008, 09:45:43 AM »
Jag la moslem quickly to the aid of the islamist agenda.

Death to America. All hail the Islamic States of America and Britainistan!

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2008, 09:47:04 AM »
Here is how I am going to handle this dumb fucking company Tyson...I will starve myself and family to death before I buy anything these terrorist sympathizers make until they change their policy.

I'm willing to bet that if you need chicken breasts and Foster farms is out of them at your grocery store that you'll by tyson.   ;D

Hustle Man

• Getbig IV
  • What is the most common form of stupidity?
« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2008, 09:54:20 AM »
I think I can beat Mike Tyson.

Best post of the thread lol!
W

shootfighter1

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Competitor- NABBA Nationals Overall Champ
« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2008, 11:16:44 AM »
In the name of policital correctness, our country is slowly changing for the worse...just like some of Europe did.  There is no question that many muslims come to a country not to integrate and contribute, but to force their ways, ideas and customs on that country.  Not acceptible IMO and we have to draw boundries of acceptibility or our country's traditions will continue to erode.

I don't have the details, but a study of British Muslim college students found that 1/3rd felt killing in the name of religion was acceptible and that men and women are not viewed equally by God.  How do u far left liberals like that one...defending people who don't see women as equals...unbelieveable.

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2008, 01:12:04 PM »
In the name of policital correctness, our country is slowly changing for the worse...just like some of Europe did.  There is no question that many muslims come to a country not to integrate and contribute, but to force their ways, ideas and customs on that country.  Not acceptible IMO and we have to draw boundries of acceptibility or our country's traditions will continue to erode.

I don't have the details, but a study of British Muslim college students found that 1/3rd felt killing in the name of religion was acceptible and that men and women are not viewed equally by God.  How do u far left liberals like that one...defending people who don't see women as equals...unbelieveable.

This is how the right wing muddies the waters and confuses those incapable of critical thinking.

What is being defended in this thread, ...at least by me, is not Muslims, but rather a mutual agreement made between Tysons and the labour union that represent's Tyson's workers.

This is a defense of Tysons and the collective bargaining process.
w