Author Topic: Mike Mentzer - 1980 Mr Olympia loss - Schwarzenegger wins!  (Read 63718 times)

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
Alternate History - Arnold LOSES 1980 Olympia, Mentzer wins
« Reply #50 on: October 22, 2013, 06:43:34 PM »
I'm getting ready to watch this Armageddon 1962 Alternate history show about WW3 and JFK on Military channel at 10pm. 

It made me wonder... what would have happened if Arnold had LOST the 1980 Olympia, and Mentzer would have won it? 

Would Arnold have experienced a downward spiral, despair?  Would Mentzer have gone on to win a few Olympias, become a Hollywood star or world class guru? 

Alternate history stories are so cool.

BDsauce

• Getbig IV
Re: Alternate History - Arnold LOSES 1980 Olympia, Mentzer wins
« Reply #51 on: October 22, 2013, 07:02:26 PM »

beakdoctor

• Getbig V
  • Royalty is a schmoe-cel.
« Reply #52 on: October 22, 2013, 07:39:51 PM »
Well.....That means Franco would not have competed in 81 and Platz, Padilla, Dickerson and Callendar all would have wiped the floor with Mentzer and Mentzer would have placed 5th in 81 and gone on to meltdown anyway....

Or he would've won from 80 through 83, been happy with being a 4 time Mr O and lose to Haney with dignity.... Unlikely since he was falling out of favor with Weider...but still a nice thought.

Then there is Arnold, who would have internalized the loss, then tap into his obsession with winning  and came back in 81 with his biggest most shredded physique yet and won easily. Which would've stalled his hollywood career and possibly been worse for the bodybuilding and fitness industry.

TheShape

• Getbig III
« Reply #53 on: October 22, 2013, 07:49:01 PM »
Even though he wasn't nearly as big, he was still the best on stage that day. Mentzer had a great physique but he had a bitter vibe to his personality.

Frank Clairmonte

• Getbig IV
  • TEAM KAI GREENE #BELIEVE
« Reply #54 on: October 22, 2013, 08:00:33 PM »
i am gonna meltdown now

MENTZER FINISHED 5TH IN THAT SHOW. FOOLS ARE TALKING ABOUT HIM LIKE HE WAS SECOND BEHIND ARNOLD AND GOT ROBBED.

FUCK OFF. MENTZER GOT 5TH AND DESERVED IT.

Pray_4_War

• Getbig V
  • Thot Expert
« Reply #55 on: October 23, 2013, 12:41:37 AM »
In this alternate history does Mentzer still have a small chest and a protruding stomach?  Is he still a bitter, pseudointellectual douche?

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #56 on: October 23, 2013, 12:44:44 AM »
I heard he started to lose his mind after that show, eventually went bonkers. Poor bastard.

Teutonic Knight

• Getbig V
« Reply #57 on: October 23, 2013, 12:46:03 AM »
REMINDER: Chris Dickerson was recipient of Vince Basil's plastic Mr.Olympia 1980 trophy  ;D

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #58 on: October 23, 2013, 12:50:44 AM »
REMINDER: Chris Dickerson was recipient of Vince Basil's plastic Mr.Olympia 1980 trophy  ;D

No he wasn't, Arnold won in '80.

BB

• Getbig V
  • I hope I'm not boring you.
« Reply #59 on: October 23, 2013, 01:17:13 AM »
I'm getting ready to watch this Armageddon 1962 Alternate history show about WW3 and JFK on Military channel at 10pm. 

It made me wonder... what would have happened if Arnold had LOST the 1980 Olympia, and Mentzer would have won it? 

Would Arnold have experienced a downward spiral, despair?  Would Mentzer have gone on to win a few Olympias, become a Hollywood star or world class guru? 

Would've done nothing to Arnold. It might of hurt his pride, but he already had other things going on.

Now Mentzer is interesting. I honesty think it would've slowed the decline. It would've been validation of all his theories, and it would've brought in more money for the courses, personal training, etc.... You wouldn't have this giant blank space in the 1980's like you have now.

I do think he would've still wound up wacky, but it would've been moderated by the Olympia win. I think he would've retired after 1980, fell deeper into Ryndian philosophy mixed with a little drugs, and became just another one of bodybuilding eccentrics.

NotMrAverage

• Getbig IV
  • SCHPORT
« Reply #60 on: October 23, 2013, 01:21:23 AM »
yeah mentzer might have kept his mind if it was for a win at this show... no 5 years in asylum, no running naked on the street etc... but he was 5th as stated
MIRAGETROPIN

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #61 on: October 23, 2013, 04:03:28 AM »
Mentzer wasn't stable prior to the 1980 Olympia. He was using amphetamines along with his bodybuilding drugs. He did come in 5th not second in his best ever shape. When I look at still pictures I had Dickerson winning. Zane was the most ripped ever but the smallest he ever was due to his accident prior.

Everything for me changed when I saw the film.  Arnold at 80 % clearly won. When ever anyone stood next to him he clearly was better. I wish Arnold would have shown up in 75 condition. Every contestant would have been in agreement it's a contest for second place.

Viking11

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #62 on: October 23, 2013, 04:50:56 AM »
If that scenario had played out, Mentzer would have had more mainstream exposure- like when he won the Universe and had an agent, a 3 book deal and multiple TV appearences. Bodybuilding would have been a bit different in the 80s, not as much celebrity glitz,  but with more intellectual appeal.

Ronnie Rep

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #63 on: October 23, 2013, 05:04:31 AM »
If Mentzer would have won, he probably would not have gone into that downward spiral which soured him towards Bodybuilding. He would probably still be alive today!

Mr Anabolic

• Getbig V
  • Better to die on your feet than on your knees.
« Reply #64 on: October 23, 2013, 06:21:32 AM »
i am gonna meltdown now

MENTZER FINISHED 5TH IN THAT SHOW. FOOLS ARE TALKING ABOUT HIM LIKE HE WAS SECOND BEHIND ARNOLD AND GOT ROBBED.

FUCK OFF. MENTZER GOT 5TH AND DESERVED IT.

Agreed.  Mentzer was totally hyped and overrated.  Even in his best shape he still could not beat a 210lb Arnold.   Mentzer's chest was flat as a pancake.  Even though Arnold's legs were smaller, they were still better and more detailed than Mentzer's.

Viking11

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #65 on: October 23, 2013, 06:42:16 AM »
Does anyone seriously think Boyer Coe was better than Mentzer at that show?

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #66 on: October 23, 2013, 06:57:42 AM »
Was Mentzer as intellectual as his fans say he was? I know Mike himself spoke often about his superior mind but academically all he did was a few semesters in pre med if I'm not mistaken.

I will say this no one in bodybuilding has influenced me more that Mike. I still to this day have every magazine article written by him. Toward the end he recommended training routines that he never used when he was competing. He also claimed to have train Yates when he only was in a gym with him for a few days. Yates said in effect he let it go because he had no problem with him using that to publicize his personal training business. Also guys like David Young trained in the same gym as Mike back in the day. He said he used a lot more sets than he talked about in magazines. Were these warm up sets? I don't know.

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
  • Falcon gives us new knowledge every single day.
« Reply #67 on: October 23, 2013, 06:58:27 AM »
Most anyone would have went crazy after placing 5th at the 80 Mr O when he thought he would win, lost his girlfriend, one of parents died, he also had a magazine that failed I think all of this was in one year.

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #68 on: October 23, 2013, 07:00:46 AM »
Arnold still becomes a big star and gov. of Cali.  nothing changes because of 1980

Heywood

• Getbig IV
« Reply #69 on: October 23, 2013, 07:15:20 AM »
Another "alternative history": how about if Arnold had showed up in 1980 with muscular legs and back?

He'd have won a little more convincingly.....

Pet shop boys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #70 on: October 23, 2013, 07:18:34 AM »

Would Arnold have experienced a downward spiral, despair?  Would Mentzer have gone on to win a few Olympias, become a Hollywood star or world class guru?  

I think  Dickerson was better than Mike that day.

But answering your question I could easily see Mike being more marketable after beating Arnold ... And lots of "heavy duty training secrets never before seen pics and pullout posters of the greatest Mentzer" up till this day.

Arnold would have done just fine in Hollywood  "losing size cause movie roles BS"

WoooSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH H

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #71 on: October 23, 2013, 07:56:19 AM »
Another "alternative history": how about if Arnold had showed up in 1980 with muscular legs and back?

He'd have won a little more convincingly.....

LOL!

doriancutlerman

• Getbig IV
« Reply #72 on: October 23, 2013, 01:59:04 PM »
Does anyone seriously think Boyer Coe was better than Mentzer at that show?

No, and I certainly don't think Arnold's legs were better than Mike's  ???  ::)

Mike was flat, but he should've probably placed second or third.  I really don't care for Dickerson's tiny, droopy pec, puny arm build.  And Zane was cut (hahaha ... get the reference?  He cut his member!  Haha ... ha  :-[ ), but nowhere thick enough to challenge Mike's density. 

I do agree with Arnold winning, though.  The only reason people piss on his victory is, well, actually two reasons:

*He was a late entry and made a stink about weight classes
*He wasn't as good as he was several years before

That's it.  Even at a lighter bodyweight, he was still dominant.

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
  • Go back to making jewelry and cakes with your girl
« Reply #73 on: October 23, 2013, 02:07:27 PM »

Arnold would have devoted the entire year to training properly and would have destroyed Mentzer in 81

Teutonic Knight

• Getbig V
« Reply #74 on: October 23, 2013, 02:29:08 PM »
No he wasn't, Arnold won in '80.

YES, he was  :o, Vince & his mob really presented that plastic trophy to Dickerson  ::)