Author Topic: Best Bi's exercise ?  (Read 7571 times)

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
Re: Best Bi's exercise ?
« Reply #50 on: September 18, 2008, 09:44:14 AM »
How would the preachers hit the brachialis moreso than a standard biceps curl?

Whatever the theory, clearly you can do the same exercises to hit the brachialis on a preacher as on others forms of curls, but more intensely-wrist supination, zottman curls, hammer curls, reverse curls. The effect can be further modified by using different angles on the bench.

concentration curls have the lowest measured EM activity, preachers have the highest, and they also hit the brachialis very hard. So overall the best exercise is preachers
No doubt in my mind that preachers are far ahead of isolation curls, which are a so-so attempt at creating the same effect as preachers. Preachers and standing cheat weight/cable curls are the best.

Chins are also great, but i like them as a supplement/post-exhaust to these rather than as the starting point, because they're a compound exercise in which other related muscles such as lats can fatigue before the biceps do. Just as strict standing free weight curls can mean too much front delt fatigue before the biceps are hit effectively. The best way to isolate bis during chins is the use a partial ROM. Don't lower yourself all the way down, stay in the upper 1/2-2/3s of the range.

GoneAway

• Getbig V
« Reply #51 on: September 19, 2008, 11:41:54 PM »
This is interesting.

"In a pronated position during an arm curl, the brachialis shows the highest EMG activity, when compared to the brachioradialis and biceps brachii. It is not that the brachialis' EMG activity changes because of various arm positions, but instead, the EMG activity of the biceps and brachioradialis decreases because of this mechanically, disadvantageous position of these two muscles. (Kendall, et. al, 1993, pg 268.)" Quoted from 'Effective Strength Trainining' by Douglas Brooks

ozman

• Getbig IV
« Reply #52 on: September 20, 2008, 01:36:54 PM »
I did standing barbell curls yesterday , with less weight than usual

holding the bar high with my elbows around chest height

reps around 10 with a hard squeeze for each rep

i never get much doms after a bi workout but today is different

ahh.. fk

• Getbig III
  • Greed is good
« Reply #53 on: September 30, 2008, 08:34:15 AM »
First exercise 4 sets of heavy preachers to full extension. At lest 8 reps per set. You will be sore.

GetYolked

• Getbig I
« Reply #54 on: October 28, 2008, 01:01:57 AM »
Try using a 45-plate and curling that against your body for a 2nd or 3rd bicep lift during your workout. You'll most likely be able to do high reps even though your biceps are already burning (12-15), but really get full movement from completely straight arms to fully peaked and nice contraction. They are great.

Hammer Rope Curls, E-Z bar standing curls, and 21s are my other favorites. Just mix it up, your biceps are a muscle that are stimulated and grow best through surprising them with different lifts. Stimulate them with different lifts and you'll see better results

johnbeau

• Getbig I
« Reply #55 on: October 28, 2008, 10:08:17 AM »
It's a bit old fashioned but Bicep 21s have always worked for me. J

NaturalWonder83

• Getbig V
« Reply #56 on: October 28, 2008, 06:50:47 PM »
ive found seated barbell curls to be a good exercise but im a big fan of the 1 arm dumbell preacher curl...i can focus really well on the movement
w

Get Rowdy

• Getbig IV
« Reply #57 on: October 29, 2008, 02:55:39 AM »
ive found seated barbell curls to be a good exercise but im a big fan of the 1 arm dumbell preacher curl...i can focus really well on the movement

Same here, just started doing seated barbell curls and loving them.