Author Topic: Best Bi's exercise ?  (Read 7574 times)

ozman

• Getbig IV
Best Bi's exercise ?
« on: September 04, 2008, 01:00:42 PM »
I've hit the wall with my Bi's

what are some exercises to change things up ?

Overload

• Getbig V
  • KO Artist
Re: Best Bi's exercise ?
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2008, 01:49:01 PM »
What do you do right now for biceps?

8)

nodeal

• Getbig III
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2008, 01:52:12 PM »
best exercise? good old fashioned curls, of course! barbell is the most intense in my opinion.

hit a wall? try doing pull downs with palms facing up on a lat pulldown machine. try doing them strict and continuously, until failure. that really burns up my biceps and forearms. also seated incline curls are good...

QuakerOats

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • bring amberlamps!!!
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2008, 01:55:52 PM »
straight bar curls with the 7 foot Olympic bar, you can use the most weight and your palms are facing up the whole time, best thing for maximum stress on the biceps, i think db curls twisting the arm through the ROM is the most worthless biceps movement, may as well do cleans.

dantelis

• Getbig IV
  • Mesmerizing, isn't it.
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2008, 02:11:16 PM »
Try Incline Dumbell Curls with the bench back at 45 degrees or less.  It acts as an isolation movement at that angle since it is harder to swing up the weights with your arms at at that angle to your body.  Steve Reeves was a proponent of this exercise.

Another possible change is to try Point of Flexion (POF) training, where you do three exercises all hitting the muscle at a different angle.  (See http://www.musclenet.com/positionsofflexion.htm for a basic rundown of POF training.)  If you do, Incline Dumbbell Curls, Standing Barbell Curls and then Concentration Curls, for example, your arms are at three different angles to your body and each works the muscle a bit differently. 

Arms angled behind body

Arms inline with body

Arms angled in front of body

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2008, 05:00:12 PM »
Take one or two weeks off from any direct bicep exercise. Returning, you can do just about any bicep movement you choose. They all work (might be a big surprise for some people) to one degree or another. The trick is is to find out which works best for you and not everyone else. Must be two dozen direct bicep exercise I can think of at the moment; lying, sitting, kneeling, standing and even hanging. The system you use with them, and how they are placed in a workout, can be just as important also.

Keep the sets down to no more than 3 to 6, at the most, for the whole bicep workout. Reps between 6-10 with the progressive system. May want to include one BB and one DB version in the mix.

The exercises offered by Dantelis are excellent for most folks. Might  want to pick one or two of these in a bicep workout.Three different direct exercises are really not needed. For the majority of people the BB curl (EZ bar if wrist/forearms are bothered) can be a mass producer. Try a little cheating on this one if you wish.. And not just of the last few reps. If doing 8 reps, all are in the cheating style.  Heavy incline and concentration DB curls are excellent. Try having the  arms near the body, and not out wide, when doing  inclines. Good Luck

Side Bar: the original version of Concentration curls was with a slow, full ROM, up and down rep. The DB was usually light...maybe 15- 20 lbs or so. As you curl the weight concentrate on the action of the bicep. Seeing it in you mind becoming bigger than ever before and pumped with blood to it's extreme. Think of the peak of your bicep (even if you have genetic flat biceps) becoming like mountains. Arnold, and some of the old timers way before him, used this method at times. Original mind-body connection in pure BB'ing I guess. Usually done with higher reps and sets. And the last bicep exercise done for that workout. Pump paradise I know. But it did seem to help build some exceptional high peaked biceps back in the day, for some men.
F

webcake

• Getbig V
  • Not now chief...
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2008, 06:18:56 PM »
Try Incline Dumbell Curls with the bench back at 45 degrees or less.  It acts as an isolation movement at that angle since it is harder to swing up the weights with your arms at at that angle to your body.  Steve Reeves was a proponent of this exercise.

These can be good, but you really gotta be careful when doing them. I made the mistake of going just a bit too heavy on them and my bi's were killing me ("bad sore", not "good sore") for over a week. I wouldn't go any lower then 10 reps with this exercise.
No doubt about it...

flexingtonsteele

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • The new age pussy Punisher!
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2008, 07:00:27 PM »
Ez bar Preacher Curls are awesome.

DK II

• Getbig V
  • Call me 4 steroids: 571-332-2588 or 571-249-4163
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2008, 02:12:49 AM »
barbell curls and cable curls work the best for me.

I love the constant strain that you can achieve with cable curls. However, they have to be paired with other curls.

LatsMcGee

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2008, 02:58:42 AM »
Spider Curls.

Grenade

• Getbig III
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2008, 03:30:09 AM »
incline dumbell curls

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2008, 04:17:17 AM »
Hammers.
Z

GoneAway

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2008, 04:31:57 AM »
If you have a training partner or a friend at the gym, they can be of assistance in maximising the amount of muscle fibres used by the biceps during each rep, which can help stimulate more overall growth.

During barbell biceps curls (for example), have your workout parnter stand infront of you. When the bar reaches the top of the movement, ask them to pull the bar down to the floor (in the arc that your arm normally follows though.) What you do here, is you try and pull the bar back up, resisting his pull to the floor, yet eventually allowing a full extension of the arm at the bottom so you can begin the next rep. This type of training is called Forced Negatives, and is great for having the biceps do double the work that they would do in a normal biceps curl.

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2008, 05:52:45 AM »
straight bar curls with the 7 foot Olympic bar, you can use the most weight and your palms are facing up the whole time, best thing for maximum stress on the biceps, i think db curls twisting the arm through the ROM is the most worthless biceps movement, may as well do cleans.

I know everybody is different but for me this is by far the best exercise for my bi's.
I also try to keep the bar close to my chest on the way up and it's a big difference maker for me.

ozman

• Getbig IV
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2008, 12:54:34 PM »
thanx guys

onya

Meso_z

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2008, 12:58:10 PM »
heavy bb curls.  8)

triple_pickle

• Getbig IV
  • Pull Hard, Move Fast
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2008, 01:44:15 PM »
weighted chin ups

Get Rowdy

• Getbig IV
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2008, 04:11:33 AM »
My favourite is shoulder width chin ups.  Pretty much the only one I use, with some concentration curls sometimes.

I'm not a big fan of barbell curls, they tend to make my biceps look thicker but kinda flatter and shapeless.  Probably just me.

Bobby

• Getbig V
  • is da lordes plan
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2008, 06:15:53 AM »
preacher curls and 21s
tank u jesus

QuakerOats

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • bring amberlamps!!!
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2008, 08:02:49 AM »
My favourite is shoulder width chin ups.  Pretty much the only one I use, with some concentration curls sometimes.

I'm not a big fan of barbell curls, they tend to make my biceps look thicker but kinda flatter and shapeless.  Probably just me.

it has nothing to do with the exercise and everything to do with your genetic biceps shape.

powerpack

• Getbig IV
  • Time to get Buck wild!
« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2008, 08:06:53 AM »
heavy bb curls.  8)
This and EZ bar preachers work for me.
If I hit a wall I change the weight and rep range

El_Pajero

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2008, 10:57:47 AM »
bicep extensions.

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2008, 02:21:29 PM »

PANDAEMONIUM

• Getbig V
  • Scourge of the Northern Gods
« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2008, 03:10:33 PM »

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2008, 04:06:17 PM »
lmao!

heavy hammers.. therapeutic and hit both heads of the biceps as well as the brachialis AND aren't hell on your wrists if you have wrist problems.

that and heavy back work is all i've ever needed it seems.