Author Topic: Affliction: ‘Day of Reckoning’ October 11 Las Vegas show canceled  (Read 1019 times)

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
Scheduled for October 11, the follow up to Affliction’s debut “Banned” featured the main event between Josh Barnett and Andrei Arlovski with the winner to meet WAMMA heavyweight champion Fedor Emelianenko at a planned third event.

Could the UFC’s alleged involvement have hindered the T-shirt giant in its quest to promote a successful MMA event in Las Vegas — home of the UFC?

Affliction Vice President Tom Attencio courtesy of MMAWeekly.com:

“They’ve been messing with me every step of the way. There have been issues that I’ve been dealing with. So I can’t say it’s them, but there’s been things we’ve been dealing with that have never happened before, so I guess that’s why.”

Coincidence?

Sherdog.com reports that the show will still go on; however, it will be in Anaheim, Calif., sometime in January 2009.
Z

*ChuteBoxe*

• Getbig IV
Re: Affliction: ‘Day of Reckoning’ October 11 Las Vegas show canceled
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2008, 04:30:50 PM »
Michael D. Cohen: At this present moment, I can not give the reason but what I can tell you is that there is going to be a public announcement made and this announcement is truly going to change the world of mixed martial arts. Unlike other similar statements made, the press conference that will be had in the near future will have the affect as I described it.

AH: When will we find out more about this announcement?

MCD: Within two weeks. We are truly hoping that it will be within one week, but the reality is two weeks. MMA fans all around the world will understand the reason for the postponement of the event. And something I want to make clear to all the readers whether it's on MMARated.com or any other website out there: The event has not been cancelled, it's postponed, and the reasons will become very apparent to all.

AH: Is Affliction's next event going to be in January in Anaheim?

MCD: There is an event that we are currently preparing for which will be a January event in Anaheim.

AH: Any specific date?

MCD: Not yet.

AH: So, in other words, this is a great day for Affliction?

MCD: Yes it is. 

From Tom at MMAWeekly.com:

Quote:
Affliction vice president Tom Atencio spoke exclusively with MMAWeekly.com to clarify his company’s decision to postpone the event.

We not canceling it, we’re not postponing it, we’re rescheduling it completely,” he said. “It doesn’t make sense to do it where we wanted to do it, it’s a positive.”

Sources close to the venue had informed MMAWeekly.com that ticket says thus far have been “abysmal.” Atencio conceded that ticket sales for “Day of Reckoning” were weak.

“Of course,” he said. “It was a business decision. We came out strong, and we want to continue with that momentum and continue strong. We don’t want to come out and be weak and have to give tickets away. We want to continue to be a force in this industry.”

Atencio declined to comment whether Fedor Emelianenko would spearhead the show’s new Jan. 17 date, but promised an announcement about the company’s future at the Marquez/Casamayor fight in Las Vegas on Saturday.

“From a business standpoint, we don’t want to lose money,” he said. “We want to be here long term. It’s a wise choice. This is definitely a positive.” 

Predictions
 40/61

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2008, 05:35:46 PM »
I wonder if that date will be canceled as well, is this the beginning of the end for Affliction?
Z

bigbadwolfe

• Pros
  • Getbig IV
  • Bigger Stronger Fatter then you!!!!
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2008, 06:24:42 PM »
I wonder if that date will be canceled as well, is this the beginning of the end for Affliction?

God I hope not!!!!!

I'm just now getting my bodyweight down to where I would look as cool as everyone else wearing a Afflicition Shirt. That is what keeps my diet going, knowing someday I will be able to wear and Affliction shirt and look cool :)  Hahahahaha!!!!!

I do like their Skull Camo shorts though :)

Geo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2008, 09:15:54 PM »
affliction needs a TV deal if they're gonna compete with the UFC

LatsMcGee

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2008, 01:49:58 AM »
It got rescheduled for January.  Fedor is going to be on the card now.  They are going to be announcing a new business partner soon.

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2008, 02:18:46 AM »
affliction needs a TV deal if they're gonna compete with the UFC

Some are speculating that they will make a deal with HBO.
Z