Author Topic: An Alternative To Traditional Front Squats  (Read 5331 times)

www.BrinkZone.com

• Getbig III
  • This Thing On?
An Alternative To Traditional Front Squats
« on: September 29, 2008, 02:25:36 PM »
The alternative grip I developed to the traditional grips used in the front squat* came from my own frustrations with this movement. Some people – including yours truly – could never get comfortable with the traditional grips used in the front squat no matter how hard they try, and thus simply don’t make progress in this exercise or simply avoid it altogether. Over the years I put serious effort into the front squat, only to get frustrated with it and drop it from my leg routines. No matter what I did, I simply could not get comfortable with the traditional grips. I came up with something that worked for me. I call it the Brink Front Squat. Teaching it to others who had similar issues with the traditional front squat, feedback on the grip I developed was very positive, so I decided to make a vid to demonstrate the Brink Front Squat.

Now, some people seem to excel using the traditional front squat grip, and I envy them! For example, John Sully, the guy I used in my first video on the front squat (see URL below),  has perfect form doing front squats using traditional grips. That’s why I used him for the vid…If you are one of those people, I recommend you stick to what works best for you. You might want to try the Brink Front Squat, but you don’t need to.

For the rest of us, if you are one of those people who has tried many times to use the traditional grip for the front squat and were unable to have productive legs workouts, try The Brink Front Squat and see if it does not solve the issues you had in the past. It’s been very helpful to me and others I have worked with who were never able to get a “grove” going with the traditional front squat variations.

• = see my vid on the traditional front squat At:

QuakerOats

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • bring amberlamps!!!
Re: An Alternative To Traditional Front Squats
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2008, 03:55:13 PM »
interesting but seems like it would be pretty tough with anything over 225, i kind of think front squats are overrated and a little too much trouble, very hard on the front delts no matter which position you use, i think you can achieve the same benefits using regular back squats and just working on your form, keeping your back straighter, working on depth and then maybe adding hacks or lunges as an extra quad movement more focused on outside sweep, just my 2 cents. thanks for the vid though, always cool to see different ideas.

www.BrinkZone.com

• Getbig III
  • This Thing On?
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2008, 04:13:15 PM »
interesting but seems like it would be pretty tough with anything over 225,

225 x 6 is as high as I go on front squats these days regardless of grip, so I can't comment there. "Back in the day" when I was able to use more weight on front squats, I didn't have that grip figure out, so I can't compare. As I find it more comfortable then the traditional grips, there's no reason that would not translate into more weight being used. For people who have no problems with the traditional grips, I doubt this one would make a big difference to them, but I don't know.

i kind of think front squats are overrated and a little too much trouble, very hard on the front delts no matter which position you use, i think you can achieve the same benefits using regular back squats and just working on your form, keeping your back straighter, working on depth and then maybe adding hacks or lunges as an extra quad movement more focused on outside sweep, just my 2 cents.

The value of front squats vs back squats is a whole other can of worms/topic, so I won't comment there.  :o

thanks for the vid though, always cool to see different ideas.

People that find the traditional front squat grips don't work well for them, may find this group superior. Worth a try at least.... :)

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2008, 08:11:02 AM »
I first saw that curl/alternate grip back in 1990 (when I was 18 years old) at a gym in Orange county,Ca. Probably around the 300lb mark for higher reps. If I remember correctly, that is what the guy had on the bar. Made good sense for some people who may have trouble with the regular grip. People who do this style curl grip (the ones I have seen anyway) usually have a little wider hand spacing and elbows held higher than what is shown in the video. Kind of helping for a more stable position for the bar while resting/locking in on the anterior delts. Though the upper chest also comes into play for support. Some who have trouble with the regular grip will use wrist straps around the bar and hold the ends up high. If you have enough padding (thick delts) or wear an extra heavy sweat shirt, there should be less or no discomfort with which ever grip you settle upon.

Front squats are great for hitting the lower quads when going for the tear drop affect. Some will even place the heels under a 2X4 or BB plates to increase the focus on the quad area. Olympic lifters  have special shoes, with the heels built up a bit, to help with balance. Watching 400-500lbs cleaned to the front squat position, by them, is always very impressive.

The more practice reps you do (with the bar only or a lighter weight at first) the better. Other than having very short forearms, might try for more flexibility/stretch in the tricep and shoulder girdle area when attempting front squats. Good Luck.
F

triple_pickle

• Getbig IV
  • Pull Hard, Move Fast
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2008, 08:28:06 AM »
why not use the traditional palms up grip?  it requires some flexibility which you can achieve in several weeks of training.

www.BrinkZone.com

• Getbig III
  • This Thing On?
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2008, 08:31:05 AM »
I first saw that curl/alternate grip back in 1990 (when I was 18 years old) at a gym in Orange county,Ca. Probably around the 300lb mark for higher reps. If I remember correctly, that is what the guy had on the bar. Made good sense for some people who may have trouble with the regular grip.

It makes sense someone place somewhere, must have tried it, but I have never seen it done in my 20 plus years in the gyms, and I asked around other well read people such as various coaches, etc, etc I know, and none had ever seen it. Thus, I made it an officially recognized  grip from yours truly and filmed it.

www.BrinkZone.com

• Getbig III
  • This Thing On?
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2008, 08:35:31 AM »
why not use the traditional palms up grip?

Because I don't like it and it has never been comfortable or productive for me, as mentioned in the write up. Why not use something more comfortable? I did. Just 'cause everyone else does a thing only one of 2 ways, does not mean we can't invent/use a third way for those people that simply don't do well with the others. Some people also find the strap method works well for them (i guess that would be a 4th variation) but again, I found that very unstable and uncomfortable myself.

triple_pickle

• Getbig IV
  • Pull Hard, Move Fast
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2008, 08:55:09 AM »
yeah, straps suck, i had to use them for a couple of weeks after i had a wrist injury, not the most comfortable

Overload

• Getbig V
  • KO Artist
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2008, 09:22:37 AM »
That looks uncomfortable to me...but i will try it before i pass judgement.

I never had issues using the "crossed arms" grip.

It might hurt your delts but it isn't that big of a deal. Everything in bodybuilding hurts to a degree.

I'll give it a try.

8)

www.BrinkZone.com

• Getbig III
  • This Thing On?
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2008, 09:29:14 AM »
That looks uncomfortable to me...but i will try it before i pass judgement.

I never had issues using the "crossed arms" grip.

It might hurt your delts but it isn't that big of a deal. Everything in bodybuilding hurts to a degree.

I'll give it a try.

8)

Sounds good. As I said, if you have no problems with the traditional grips, I don't know if this grip is going to add any improvements per se. I make no promises there.  ;)

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2008, 09:54:41 AM »
Correction: I first saw the curl/reverse front squat grip at a gym in The Valley in 1990.. And one of the guy's was just touching the bar with his fingers, not really having a firm grip on the bar. As said before, if the triceps/shoulder girdle is flexible enough and the front delts thick enough, there should be no problem with what ever grip you use. All the attention should be on the legs, not to worry about how the bar feels on the shoulders and if it's set right anyway. (suggestion: try military presses/push presses for extra front delt thickness)

The given is is that some where in space and time someone has used that version of the grip over and over again. And in any year and any place in the world. I doubt that there is any new form (to us today) of exercise that has not been done before. A lot of the exercises used in the 40/50's are forgotten or used very little today. True Roman Chair squats for example. Excellent leg and ab workout equipment.

Brinks front squats can be a good enough handle for this version of the exercise. Like the Bradford press or the Scott curl, somethings just has to have a name attached. Good Luck.
F

www.BrinkZone.com

• Getbig III
  • This Thing On?
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2008, 10:09:29 AM »
Correction: I first saw the curl/reverse front squat grip at a gym in The Valley in 1990.. And one of the guy's was just touching the bar with his fingers, not really having a firm grip on the bar.

OK, then not the same thing as what I am doing in the vid.

As said before, if the triceps/shoulder girdle is flexible enough and the front delts thick enough, there should be no problem with what ever grip you use. All the attention should be on the legs, not to worry about how the bar feels on the shoulders and if it's set right anyway. (suggestion: try military presses/push presses for extra front delt thickness)

And I am telling you due to structural differences, etc, some exercises simply don't work for all people, and something else equally effective for that person is perfectly OK to try/experiment with if they find form X has not proven to be productive in the past. I don't recommend someone who has not done front squats try the traditional grips and decide they are no for them in 2 weeks. However, if you have been at it long enough, you also come to know what works well with your specific structure and what does not. I'm clearly in the latter category as are others.

The given is is that some where in space and time someone has used that version of the grip over and over again.

20 plus years long enough? I think it is... ;D

And in any year and any place in the world. I doubt that there is any new form (to us today) of exercise that has not been done before. A lot of the exercises used in the 40/50's are forgotten or used very little today. True Roman Chair squats for example. Excellent leg and ab workout equipment.

Agreed, as mentioned above. Chances are, someone some place has tried exactly what I am doing. However, as stated, I have never seen it an neither has some very knowledge people I asked. Thus, I claim the right to name it.  8)

Brinks front squats can be a good enough handle for this version of the exercise. Like the Bradford press or the Scott curl, somethings just has to have a name attached. Good Luck.

Yup, I am sure someone some place did a Scott Curl before he did, but so what? ;D

Rimbaud

• Getbig V
  • There can be only one.
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2008, 10:30:55 AM »
Because of a back injury I can't do regular squats anymore. A couple years ago I decided to try out front squats. I liked them but struggled with the traditional grip. So over time I modified my grip - it's very similiar to yours.

www.BrinkZone.com

• Getbig III
  • This Thing On?
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2008, 10:37:36 AM »
Because of a back injury I can't do regular squats anymore. A couple years ago I decided to try out front squats. I liked them but struggled with the traditional grip. So over time I modified my grip - it's very similiar to yours.

Good deal. ;)

Rimbaud

• Getbig V
  • There can be only one.
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2008, 10:44:00 AM »
Good deal. ;)

Works great. I still can't go too heavy but it's a great alternative to leg presses & such.

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2008, 11:35:32 AM »
I related that one of the guy's was just touching the bar. The other two were using the curl style grip.  It was the same exercise in the video of your discovery. Also seen some hold their arms out in front of their bodies, the elbows held higher that shoulder level and do front squats that way. Have done that myself. Sort of the "look Ma no hands" approach.

The mechanics/leverage/muscle inserts/ bone length of each of us is not geared for every exercise. DL's for example. But for some who may have a problem with either grips, when doing the front squat, a little wider hand spacing could help. And than again there are a few who just can not do that exercise and overcome the pain, discomfort & balance (for them) of the exercise.

The honor is all yours if you wish to apply "Brinks" to the exercise. No one is disagreeing with you about it. If it smooths out you Ego, than help your self. No patten pending, copyright infractions or laws broken. Can even make Tee shirts, if you wish, with "My Very Own Brinks Front Squat Discovery" printed on it. Good Luck.
F

www.BrinkZone.com

• Getbig III
  • This Thing On?
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2008, 11:47:41 AM »

No one is disagreeing with you about it. If it smooths out you Ego, than help your self. No patten pending, copyright infractions or laws broken. Can even make Tee shirts, if you wish, with "My Very Own Brinks Front Squat Discovery" printed on it. Good Luck.

Fine wise guy.  :o As I said, I did my due diligence.  :P

QuakerOats

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • bring amberlamps!!!
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2008, 12:46:19 PM »
Ronnie Rockel has kind of an interesting method of holding the bar for front squats in this clip.

www.BrinkZone.com

• Getbig III
  • This Thing On?
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2008, 12:50:38 PM »
Ronnie Rockel has kind of an interesting method of holding the bar for front squats in this clip.

Not exactly a secure 'locked in' method, but with that much meat on his delts, I guess he can get away with it! Strong dude.

linden

• Getbig II
  • THe Legend
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2008, 08:57:37 AM »
i do the same thing but i cross myarms learned it in high school from my football coach