Author Topic: Which leg press style do you prefer between these two units? Gliding vs Pivotal  (Read 2914 times)

Royalty

• Getbig V
  • Mentzer is Alive

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
first one for me
Z

Jeffro

• Getbig IV
My gym has the first one.  Never used the second type.

vic86

• Getbig III
  • bring back the 80`s
intresting topic, we have a icarian leg press in our gym, the foot plate has a curve in between so the heals get good support, but the problem is on few ocassions im not able to touch my knees to my chest, feel back coming under pressure, i keep a narrow stance, is it the problem?or should i keep it toes pointed outward fashion???i think every leg press machines are designed different???
suggestions? thanks

io856

I can get a really good ROM and smooth movement with pivotal but gliding is fine too. Although the foot placement often feels like it is moving forward especially at lower resistance.

DK II

• Getbig V
  • Call me 4 steroids: 571-332-2588 or 571-249-4163
If anything, then No. 1.

I hate leg press though, it puts too much pressure on my knees somehow and the ROM is fucked up as well.

I prefer squats and leg extensions.

mass 04

• Getbig V
number one, never used the second one tbh.

Geo

• Getbig IV

this one has a pretty steep angle....

good way to hang your lower back out to dry if you're in the latter reps of something heavy

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
  • And now, what joy will I have left to live for?
the 2nd one is incredible for a PL, i think. the way it's made, it hits your hams and glutes way harder than your quads, so if your goal is bigger thighs that kind is just terrible. but if you want to build a big squat, sets of 12-15 on that bugger after all your heavy sets of squats is amazing.

Get Rowdy

• Getbig IV
1st one.  Last time I used it was doing 1RM training on it, felt perfect on my quads.

The place I train at has both, tho I've never used the second.  I'll give it a go next week.

The Freakshow

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Jeremiah 29:11-13

OR

Cybex Squat Press (#2) without question. It is biomechanically superior with the correct path of motion and direction of Resistance. In addition to putting more load on the lower extremities, it puts a lot less stress on the knee joint due to the mechanical design.

Most people choose the first one (traditional leg press) because that is what they came up on. Most OG trainers have probably never used the Cybex Squat Press.

triple_pickle

• Getbig IV
  • Pull Hard, Move Fast
i never used the 1st one, my gym has the 2nd one and it feels great

ironjoe

• Getbig III
If anything, then No. 1.

I hate leg press though, it puts too much pressure on my knees somehow and the ROM is fucked up as well.

I prefer squats and leg extensions.

x2

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
Either or, I hardly ever do LP anymore.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

webcake

• Getbig V
  • Not now chief...
Never used the 2nd type.
No doubt about it...

haider

• Getbig V
  • Team Batman Squats
Never used the 2nd type.
thanks for your contribution, couldn't have done anything without it
follow the arrows

webcake

• Getbig V
  • Not now chief...

No doubt about it...

haider

• Getbig V
  • Team Batman Squats

meltdown
follow the arrows

GetYolked

• Getbig I
My gym has both, it's just a matter of preference and what you want to hit harder. As someone mentioned above, the first one (Gliding) does in fact hit your quads harder, while the second one (Pivotal) hits your glutes and hams to shreds. I prefer the 2nd, simply because I find my other quad lifts (Explosion Lunges and Extensions) can easily hit take care of my quads for the workout

CAPTAIN INSANO

• Getbig IV
#1.

But I will try #2 next week :)

io856

Re: Which leg press style do you prefer between these two units? Gliding vs Piv
« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2008, 03:49:19 AM »
the 2nd one is incredible for a PL, i think. the way it's made, it hits your hams and glutes way harder than your quads, so if your goal is bigger thighs that kind is just terrible. but if you want to build a big squat, sets of 12-15 on that bugger after all your heavy sets of squats is amazing.
Have you really tried it?

Even if you pack it to the hilt with 20kg/45lb plates and do a full ROM it still feels like more resistance could be added.

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
You have to try each one to know, the feel will vary by manufacturer even with similar designs. Not only will the effect on the muscles be different, some will hit the knees much harder and should avoided like the plague.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
the second one for me, it seems easier on the knees for me and feels alot more natural of a motion then the sleds do.

elite_lifter

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
I am a big baby