Author Topic: Colin Powell OFFICIALLY Endorses Barack Obama  (Read 7612 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Re: Colin Powell OFFICIALLY Endorses Barack Obama
« Reply #50 on: October 19, 2008, 07:35:12 PM »

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #51 on: October 19, 2008, 07:50:17 PM »

Yawn.  Keep searching.   ::)

you posted this garbage, not me:

"BECK: OK. The thing that I do find about Barack Obama is that I think America is starting to catch on to this: this guy really is a Marxist. He believes in the redistribution of wealth. He believes in the global government and everything else. "

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #52 on: October 19, 2008, 07:52:44 PM »
you posted this garbage, not me:

"BECK: OK. The thing that I do find about Barack Obama is that I think America is starting to catch on to this: this guy really is a Marxist. He believes in the redistribution of wealth. He believes in the global government and everything else. "

So what.  It doesn't prove whatever nonsensical point you were trying to make.   

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #53 on: October 19, 2008, 07:54:03 PM »
So what.  It doesn't prove whatever nonsensical point you were trying to make.   
actually it was a question ;D

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #54 on: October 19, 2008, 08:10:00 PM »
actually it was a question ;D

It was actually just a dumb comment, followed by a couple of rambling posts.   :)

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #55 on: October 19, 2008, 08:12:53 PM »
It was actually just a dumb comment, followed by a couple of rambling posts.   :)
really, then you just called quite a few rightwingers here dumb because that's what they've been posting...  You aided in posting the beck corsi interview...  Now that's Dumb!!! ;)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #56 on: October 19, 2008, 08:24:24 PM »
really, then you just called quite a few rightwingers here dumb because that's what they've been posting...  You aided in posting the beck corsi interview...  Now that's Dumb!!! ;)

O.K.  ::)

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #57 on: October 19, 2008, 08:37:37 PM »

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #58 on: October 19, 2008, 08:40:10 PM »
BOOOOOOOOOM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SHOCK AND AWE ;D

wow, that's an amazing endorsement too. what he had to say was very powerful.

Given the state of affairs, it would be impossible for Powell to do otherwise.
What's said is that he had to explain his decision making process for the imbeciles out there.
Clearly there could have been no other choice.

w

24KT

• Getbig V
Re: VERY GOOD Article. A VERY SPECIAL ANNOUNCEMENT.
« Reply #59 on: October 19, 2008, 09:13:23 PM »
This was completely predictable.

RACE trumps everything, including common sense.

In your case, ...that appears to be the case.  :-\
w

garebear

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Never question my instincts.
Re: VERY GOOD Article. A VERY SPECIAL ANNOUNCEMENT.
« Reply #60 on: October 19, 2008, 10:16:18 PM »
didn't you hear that radio show? where they when to brooklyn or the bronx and asked who the local black population would be voting? desite mixing up policys, the all said obama  ::)

Will you leave the US if Obama is elected?

Please!!!!!!!!!!!!!
G

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #61 on: October 20, 2008, 02:11:21 AM »
Halperin: How the Powell Endorsement Boosts Obama
By Mark Halperin
Sunday, Oct. 19, 2008

In one of the most important symbolic moments of the general election, former Secretary of State Colin Powell announced today that he is endorsing Barack Obama for president. Making his decision public on NBC News' "Meet the Press," the long-time fixture in Republican administrations effectively reinforced the sense of momentum Obama has been building, declaring the Senator from Illinois as a "transformational figure." "I think that Senator Obama brings a fresh set of eyes, a fresh set of ideas to the table," said Powell. "I think we need a generational change, and I think Senator Obama has captured the feelings of the young people of America, and is reaching out in a more diverse, inclusive way across our society."

Sources say Obama courted Powell's support for well over a year, with private discussions that have largely involved policy consultations, but also some explicit pleas for support. Powell's neutrality up until now had worried some Republicans, and a possible nod for Obama has been rumored and discussed for months. Whenever he has been asked in public about Obama, Powell has had nothing but kind words but, before his appearnace on Meet the Press, always stopped short of a full endorsement.

The decision is not only symbolic but, in terms of timing, one of great tactical importance. Powell is a brand unto himself in American politics, and clearly transcends the media's tendency to hype endorsements more than their actual importance to voters. However, the indisputable benefit that Powell brings Obama is that the former Secretary of State and general is sure to block out any chance McCain has of winning the next two or three days of news coverage, as the media swoons over the implications of the choice. It is simple political math: McCain has 15 days to close a substantial gap, and he will now lose at least one fifth of his total remaining time.

Powell's decision brings other clear benefits as well. He is so trusted for his judgment on national security (even in the wake of his role in the current Iraq War) that his confidence in Obama to become commander-in-chief will resonate with many elites and voters. The Democrats' ability to play the Powell card for the next two weeks makes it much harder, even if there is an unexpected international crisis, for Republicans to suggest Obama simply isn't qualified to protect the country. Powell reinforced Obama's qualifications on "Meet the Press": "Senator Obama has demonstrated the kind of calm, patient, intellectual, steady approach to problem-solving that I think we need in this country."

If some voters still see Obama as a nebulous, unknown figure with questionable associations and liberal tendencies that makes them wary of voting for an African-American, Powell's decision may ease their minds. In some ways his image is the perfect complement to Obama's. Unlike the newly arrived Obama, Powell has been an establishment figure of vast experience in the national spotlight for well over a decade on military and international affairs, first as a career Army man, then in a variety of national security roles, culminating in his service as Secretary of State.

When Powell considered his own run for president in 1995, his political advisers found that there was an extraordinarily wide and deep well of support for the retired general as a political figure. In fact, by some standards, before Obama, Powell was the most successful African-American politician of the last two decades, without ever actually seeking elective office. Even after being tied to the Bush administration and its widely disliked foreign policy decisions, Powell has maintained extraordinary popularity, with nearly three quarters of Americans continuing to view him favorably, in part because he is perceived as a non-partisan figure, almost above politics.

Finally, Powell long ago cast his lot with the Republican Party, even though he is known to have disagreements with the GOP on some social issues. He has been a powerful speaker at party events, and one of the truly powerful symbols the party has had to deploy. His crossover endorsement is Obama's biggest yet from a Republican and fuels many of the Democrat's regular themes: Obama is the future and McCain the past; Obama — and his party — can be trusted on national security, Bush mishandled the Iraq conflict; and other Republicans (and independents) should be comfortable supporting the man from Illinois.

Powell will not become a full-throated partisan on Obama's behalf, but the two are now joined symbolically. It is most similar to Senator Edward Kennedy's endorsement of Obama over Hillary Clinton in February, which garnered extraordinary news coverage at a critical moment and broke the spirits of the opposition. Like Kennedy, Powell is a larger than life figure who commands a wide following. Powell says he will not campaign actively for Obama , but he does not need to. His words on Sunday were more than enough.
w

CQ

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • TGT
« Reply #62 on: October 20, 2008, 04:17:38 AM »
but its not only blacks that will be voting for obama, there are white too, who are educated on what he stands for, agree with his policies and feel he's the 2nd coming of jesus christ.

people should vote because they like the policies, not because they are the same colour. On seeing countless interviews it seems they ARE voting purely on the colour of his skin.  :-\

You are obviously hung up on skin colour.

I assume then you are horrified by all the racists voting for McCain, whites as he is white. Disgusting >:(

And damn those 18 million, most whom are white, who voted for Hillary, whites voting for whites >:(

Damn the last 432613 years when whites voted for whites >:(

It all amuses the living daylights out of me. People seem to have no understanding that the USA is in tremendous debt, highest in the world. The economy is crashing. Almost 1 million jobs lost this year. Car and house sales down. Record foreclosures. Ever looked where the US stands on rates of preventable death, child mortality, education performance, murder rates etc compared to the rest of the 1st world?

But people still care about skin colour haha, I love it ;D

PS: Thanks BB.

Fatpanda

• Getbig V
  • One getbigger to rule them all.
« Reply #63 on: October 20, 2008, 06:22:58 AM »
You are obviously hung up on skin colour.

I assume then you are horrified by all the racists voting for McCain, whites as he is white. Disgusting >:(

And damn those 18 million, most whom are white, who voted for Hillary, whites voting for whites >:(

Damn the last 432613 years when whites voted for whites >:(

It all amuses the living daylights out of me. People seem to have no understanding that the USA is in tremendous debt, highest in the world. The economy is crashing. Almost 1 million jobs lost this year. Car and house sales down. Record foreclosures. Ever looked where the US stands on rates of preventable death, child mortality, education performance, murder rates etc compared to the rest of the 1st world?

But people still care about skin colour haha, I love it ;D

PS: Thanks BB.

hahahahaha calm down princess - i'm not hung up on skin colour in the slightest, but you seem to think its ok to vote based on skin colour rather than on policies - ok  ::) That is disgusting.

When he fails to deliver on his promise of world peace, free money for all, blah blah blah  - that all the idiots have been taken in by, and is voted out, will you claim its racism  ::)

tell me do you honestly believe that obama will sort the economy, the unemployement,  car and house sales, stop foreclosures, improve rates of preventable death, child mortality, education, and murder.  ::)

outstanding brain washing if ever i have saw it.

He is NOT the 2nd coming of Jesus, he will NOT perform miracles.

He is a smooth talker who has gotten lucky that he's up against an old man who picked an idiot running mate.

keep taking those obama happy drugs and living in delusion.
175lbs by 31st July

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
« Reply #64 on: October 20, 2008, 11:53:23 AM »
As Beach said last week, this endorsement definitely puts the proverbial nail in Sen. McCain's coffin.  It's really going to be tough to overcome such an endorsement, especially with only 2 weeks left to go.  The 507's or conservative PAC's are really going to have push hard in order to overcome these odds. 

You never know what can happen though.  You just never know.   

George Whorewell

• Getbig V
  • TND
« Reply #65 on: October 20, 2008, 03:43:17 PM »
Am I the only person with half a brain cell here? Obama is going to give Powell a position in his cabinet, hence he is supporting him for office. If anyone buys Powells nonsense about being upset over some on the right attacking Obama's Muslim background or any of the other sentimental slop coming out of his mouth you really need your head examined.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #66 on: October 20, 2008, 04:50:07 PM »
Am I the only person with half a brain cell here? Obama is going to give Powell a position in his cabinet, hence he is supporting him for office. If anyone buys Powells nonsense about being upset over some on the right attacking Obama's Muslim background or any of the other sentimental slop coming out of his mouth you really need your head examined.

I doubt that was the reason.  You don't think McCain made the same offer? 

Besides, Powell has already served three presidents.  He has made money writing a book.  He doesn't need the job or the money. 

George Whorewell

• Getbig V
  • TND
« Reply #67 on: October 20, 2008, 05:01:15 PM »
McCain wanted to make him VP which he rejected. Also,theres no way a republican president was going to have Powell serve in a military capacity based on the way his relationship with this administration uncerminously ended, especially with the problems between him and Cheney. Dont you think it would bolster Obama's questionable creditbility in the foreign policy/ military arena to have someone like Powell on staff? It makes perfect sense. I mean dude, unless Powell is just endorsing Obama because hes black, why wait until less than two weeks before the election to go all over national TV and say what he said?  Maybe its because he feels betrayed by the republican party and wants pay back. But regardless, he has to have an angle here.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #68 on: October 20, 2008, 05:16:22 PM »
McCain wanted to make him VP which he rejected. Also,theres no way a republican president was going to have Powell serve in a military capacity based on the way his relationship with this administration uncerminously ended, especially with the problems between him and Cheney. Dont you think it would bolster Obama's questionable creditbility in the foreign policy/ military arena to have someone like Powell on staff? It makes perfect sense. I mean dude, unless Powell is just endorsing Obama because hes black, why wait until less than two weeks before the election to go all over national TV and say what he said?  Maybe its because he feels betrayed by the republican party and wants pay back. But regardless, he has to have an angle here.

I take him at his word.  He waited till after the debates.  I do think race played a role (see my earlier comments), but I don't think that was the primary reason. 

Yes Powell gives Obama a great deal of credibility.  I think that's a good thing (if Obama wins).  I'd feel far more comfortable with Powell serving in an Obama administration. 

Powell really had nothing to gain by endorsing Obama.  I think if he wanted a cabinet post, or needed the money, then we could make a reasonable argument that he had a vested interested in endorsing Obama.  But I'm sure McCain offered to give him a spot in his administration. 

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #69 on: October 20, 2008, 08:13:00 PM »
The last thing I would believe is that Powell is motivated by an advisory posistion in Obama's admin...  If you think that, you don't much about Powell.  Powell did not do this for personal gain.

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #70 on: October 20, 2008, 08:16:35 PM »
I take him at his word.  He waited till after the debates.  I do think race played a role (see my earlier comments), but I don't think that was the primary reason. 

Yes Powell gives Obama a great deal of credibility.  I think that's a good thing (if Obama wins).  I'd feel far more comfortable with Powell serving in an Obama administration. 

Powell really had nothing to gain by endorsing Obama.  I think if he wanted a cabinet post, or needed the money, then we could make a reasonable argument that he had a vested interested in endorsing Obama.  But I'm sure McCain offered to give him a spot in his administration. 
agree with most of your post. If race played a role in Powell's decision it was exactly what he noted about the direction of the republican party, he spoke directly on this.  If supporting his race was that important over the years, he wouldn't have been a republican all this time. 

George Whorewell

• Getbig V
  • TND
« Reply #71 on: October 21, 2008, 06:21:34 AM »
Powell did this for one of three reasons-- (A) For personal gain (B) Because hes black (c) Because he wants to kick the current administration in the balls right before the election

Take your pick. It might be all three. As former sec. of state Engleberger said on MSNBC this morning, he agrees with A and C. I also didn't know that by the end of Bush's first term he and Powell were barely on speaking terms.

IFBBwannaB

• Getbig V
  • BAN stick!
« Reply #72 on: October 21, 2008, 06:43:33 AM »
Powell did this for one of three reasons-- (A) For personal gain (B) Because hes black (c) Because he wants to kick the current administration in the balls right before the election

Take your pick. It might be all three. As former sec. of state Engleberger said on MSNBC this morning, he agrees with A and C. I also didn't know that by the end of Bush's first term he and Powell were barely on speaking terms.

Its amazing how all the former secretaries , generals and other high officials that support McCain are considered nothing but Powel is the best thing since sliced bread  ::)

Talk about good propaganda....I gotta say one thing...the powers behind Hussein camp do a great job, massive media control and "donation" gathering....I think the people in the background should run instead of the lacking puppet they chose , seriously they show some great skills but a poor choice.

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
« Reply #73 on: October 21, 2008, 06:53:20 AM »
i would say there are more blacks voting for obama because he's black, than there are whites voting for mccain because he's white.

And I would say that there are more  voting for McCain because he is white, than anthing else.  White people endorse and vote for one another alot, but if somehow a black person votes for a black person, it is assumed, that it is only for the reason he is black. Now for some, yes, let's say if it was Jesse Jackson or Al Sharpton, those blacks who vote for them would be because, they are black, and because they believe in the "victim" rhetoric that they have perfected. Most black people know the game, and know that black politician will lie just as good as a white one, did you see Foxy Brown? ;D

Obama clearly outclasses McCain, and McCain picking Palin, who seems to have a knack for divisive speeches, at a time when we need to pull together. She is trying to pit Small Town vs. Big City, and that the Small Town people are more patriotic, when 911 happened to NYC, not Hickville, USA, when Katina happened to New Orleans, Louisiana, one of the oldest cities in the US, not Hazard County, with Beau and Luke Duke. 

mogulgangi

• Getbig IV
  • fitness celebrity
« Reply #74 on: October 21, 2008, 06:53:59 AM »
I told you suckas Powell was voting for Obama. He's just making it public.  ;)

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21134540/vp/27265490#27265490

YES..he endorses obama..BUT is still a republican .........HAHAHA...LOL... ..

its called ...marketing.....

FOOLS..
when someone says "they are still a republican" then its just a fabrication to the masses.....