Author Topic: Jesus' brothers and sisters  (Read 952 times)

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
Jesus' brothers and sisters
« on: October 24, 2008, 01:07:28 AM »
Last night (thurs) I flipped on a PBS special on Jesus' brothers and sisters, and how the editors of the bible tried to write them out. He had about 4 brothers and 2-3 sisters. His older brother was James the Just, and he was his half brother, Joseph was his father...but you don't see him in the Manger Scene do you?

Also in this show they were saying how the church and people have made Jesus and Mary so Supernatural and Romanticized that they have stop becoming actual people, real mortals, but some sort of  superbeings.

The show noted how various popes have made decrees on Mary, how, she not only was Virgin, but she was born of a virgin mother herself, it goes on and on...Right now, I working midnight shift (4 am) so I kinda don't remember the details. If anybody can find the show it would be nice.

Nordic Superman

• Getbig V
  • Hesitation doesn't come easily in this blood...
Re: Jesus' brothers and sisters
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2008, 01:46:04 AM »
OK, I'm an atheist but here goes...

Jesus wasn't "supernatural", this is irrelevant. Jesus is God, so it's only natural he is a super-human. Mary was a vessel, so genetically speaking Jesus would not have had any shared DNA with Mary or any children she might go on to have.

Not only Christianity subscribes to Jesus being born of a virgin, the koran also states this.
الاسلام هو شيطانية

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: Jesus' brothers and sisters
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2008, 01:21:13 PM »
Last night (thurs) I flipped on a PBS special on Jesus' brothers and sisters, and how the editors of the bible tried to write them out. He had about 4 brothers and 2-3 sisters. His older brother was James the Just, and he was his half brother, Joseph was his father...but you don't see him in the Manger Scene do you?

I don't know where this source is, but it sounds rather wacky to me. How did the "editors" try to wirte out the siblings of Jesus, when the Bible mentions that Jesus had brothers and sisters? Though the quantity of his sisters (as far as I know) is not given, the Gospels state that He had four brothers.

Matthew 13:55, 56: Is not this the carpenter's son? is not his mother called Mary? and his brethren, James, and Joses, and Simon, and Judas?  And his sisters, are they not all with us? Whence then hath this man all these things?

Mark 3:31,32: There came then his brethren and his mother, and, standing without, sent unto him, calling him. And the multitude sat about him, and they said unto him, Behold, thy mother and thy brethren without seek for thee.

However, Jesus was Mary's FIRSTBORN son, the oldest; therefore there would be no James or any other sibling at a Nativity scene.

Also in this show they were saying how the church and people have made Jesus and Mary so Supernatural and Romanticized that they have stop becoming actual people, real mortals, but some sort of  superbeings.

The show noted how various popes have made decrees on Mary, how, she not only was Virgin, but she was born of a virgin mother herself, it goes on and on...Right now, I working midnight shift (4 am) so I kinda don't remember the details. If anybody can find the show it would be nice.

That's one thing I don't dig about the Roman Catholic Church. Mary was only a virgin, when she conceived Jesus. Since He had brothers and sisters, none of which were of supernatural origin, that would mean that they were gleaned the old-fashioned way. Nowhere in Scripture is there any instruction to pay any homage to Mary. She had no supernatrual power, can't save anyone, forgive anyone, or intercede on someone else's behalf.

The popes can make all the decrees they want. They're dead wrong, because what they write DOES NOT MATCH with Scripture.