Author Topic: Triceps  (Read 2848 times)

mesmorph78

• Getbig V
  • there can only be one...
Triceps
« on: November 08, 2008, 07:17:46 PM »
My tri's have always been good but not as good as my bis...
but recently ive found that not locking out on tri movements better target the belly of he muscle making it more full
anybody else found this

choice is an illusion

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
Re: Triceps
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2008, 07:30:11 PM »
FUCK YOU!

Hey buddy take a chill pill then get back on here with somethin useful.

mesmorph78

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2008, 07:37:57 PM »
i found over time locking out kills the elbow joints
choice is an illusion

upjacked

• Time Out
  • Getbig II
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2008, 08:25:07 PM »
I lock out, it's kind of hard not to, I use alot of weight  :-\

Jeffro

• Getbig IV
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2008, 08:48:51 PM »
I lock out, it's kind of hard not to, I use alot of weight  :-\
My God, you must be huge!!!!!!!! :o

upjacked

• Time Out
  • Getbig II
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2008, 08:52:14 PM »

webcake

• Getbig V
  • Not now chief...
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2008, 01:12:50 AM »
I generally do close grip benches with a fairly short ROM. Just feels better than going to lockout on each rep.
No doubt about it...

io856

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2008, 03:26:24 AM »
Milos recommends locking out on tricep exercises.

I find its good to squeeze the triceps with a good lockout on triceps movements. I think a pushdown movement would almost feel useless without it. Seems to stress the medial head further if you do this. I do not have world class triceps so take my opinion with a grain of salt and also obviously don't exacerbate joint pain.

Meso_z

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2008, 03:33:16 AM »
but recently ive found that not locking out on tri movements better target the belly of he muscle making it more full
anybody else found this

I was wondering that too...i personally lock on tri movements...

mesmorph78

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2008, 07:11:26 AM »
I was wondering that too...i personally lock on tri movements...
I used to lock out too and i think that give defined tri's ive found not locking out is harder because you get to rest when you lock out...
not locking out for me builds more size
choice is an illusion

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2008, 08:25:10 AM »
anybody else found this

Mes, i agree with you that sometimes this is better-by avoiding lockout you're increasing TUT (time under tension), which is one of the intensity techniques considered effective in stressing the muscle to beyond what it's used to and forcing adaptation thru growth.

As you probably know, everyone should try different variations on each exercse, because each case is different and also because even for the same exercise different variations will be effective. For example on pushdowns, another good approach is to lockout while doing partials but then only do the bottom 1/2 or 2/3s of the ROM, with elbows wide-very effective yet different from what you're doing, which is yet another way that obviously works.

Besides TUT, one of the big reasons avoiding lockout works is that partials are a big fave of mine as one of the keys-try avoiding lockout AND then at other times try avoiding the other end of the ROM, which is sometimes another area that isn't as effective on the muscle. You can avoid the other end entirely OR cheat thru the first few inches of the other end. For example cheat curls or lying extensions. Another example of this is preacher curls-avoiding the bottom and the top of the ROM is more effective both because it stresses the bis better. In all of these cases, removing parts of the ROM and making it a partial thru the sweet spot of the remaining ROM does several things: it makes the movement more effective, it increases TUT AND it reduces it reduces injury potential by taking away the most stressful parts of the movement in terms of connective tissues and joints.

Hacks are another example, i never bother with the bottom of the ROM both because the sweet spot's the upper part and because it's hard on the knees. Same thing on squats, i've always found box squats AKA partial squats more effective. In both cases we're talking about locking out but avoiding the bottom of the ROM. That works for me, for others it might be the opposite, removing the lockout and/or the bottom, to increase TUT and focus on the sweet spot, which is what partials do better.

Meso_z

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2008, 08:27:51 AM »
I used to lock out too and i think that give defined tri's ive found not locking out is harder because you get to rest when you lock out...
not locking out for me builds more size

You do the same on skullcrushers for example?

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2008, 08:32:26 AM »
You do the same on skullcrushers for example?

Mezo, try what i said above in terms of eliminating one part of the ROM; which part to remove depends on the exercise. On lying extensions try the same as cheat curls, removing the beginning of the motion in effect by slightly cheating to get the weight moving. That does two things, it focuses the exercise on the more effective portion of ROM AND it removes the biggest problem portion of the exercise the beginning, in terms of excess stress on the tendons, ligaments, etc. I find that when using heavy weight on extenions, if i do the first part of the ROM in strict fashion it can be harsh on the joints.

mesmorph78

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2008, 08:34:22 AM »
usually i would but i started not locking out.. absolutley kills the tris... i do take it behind the head for a full stretch though. i just dont completely straighten my arms when i come up on the top which keep my tris under pressure
choice is an illusion

mesmorph78

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2008, 08:40:22 AM »
i will definitely try that pumpster...
so your sayin is on pressdowns atarat from the lockout position and dont come full way up? elbows flared wide?
choice is an illusion

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2008, 08:44:10 AM »
i will definitely try that pumpster...
so your sayin is on pressdowns atarat from the lockout position and dont come full way up? elbows flared wide?

Ya, i first saw that with a guy i was lucky enough to train beside in the 70s who placed 2nd in the Universe a couple of times. Great arms; never did the upper part of the ROM on pushdowns, and after trying that i have to agree it's better, as is having flared elbows and making it more of a compound/CGBP type of move.

Standard full ROM pushdowns are one of the most over-rated exercises ever, they're really not that effective. Something like doing skulls down to your face.

mesmorph78

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2008, 09:01:04 AM »
cool so in essense its like a negative kind of
i will try it
choice is an illusion

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2008, 11:52:10 AM »
At the end of the triceps work, you could try doing a few light sets of partial french rope extensions, just working 'deepest' part of the ROM.
It's hard to work that part with usual 'power' excersises, eg cgbp or dips.
But go with a light weight.
JMO. 
As empty as paradise

mesmorph78

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2008, 12:30:18 PM »
wsup hedge.. long time ..
do you mean the portion when the triceps is stretched back?
choice is an illusion

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2008, 01:37:26 PM »
wsup hedge.. long time ..
do you mean the portion when the triceps is stretched back?
sup bro..
Yep.
The idea is basically to  work the range you normally don't hit with big excersises, but go light to prevent problems with elbows plus you're not all that strong down there.
As empty as paradise

mesmorph78

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2008, 11:18:02 AM »
tried...
both pumpster and hedges recommedations...
left with a deep burn "inside" the triceps..
choice is an illusion

bigdarksnake

• Getbig II
« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2008, 10:57:27 AM »
Thanks for the tips, what is cgbp?

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2008, 11:05:44 AM »
What would be a better form of skull crushers then, since skulls to the head are overrated? Thanks!
In addition to what's here, a search on this forum will show alot already written.

what is cgbp

Close-grip bench.

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2008, 11:47:50 AM »
to change things up ive started using the seated tricep extension machine, sort of like reverse machine prechaer curls, but with the triceps a a "hammer" type of grip. this are working good to bring out my inner under arm (the part of the tricep which shows in the front double bi)

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2008, 12:00:14 PM »
to change things up ive started using the seated tricep extension machine, sort of like reverse machine prechaer curls, but with the triceps a a "hammer" type of grip. this are working good to bring out my inner under arm (the part of the tricep which shows in the front double bi)

Most of them don't get it right. It sounds you're using something like this, which is pretty good.