Author Topic: What should she wear?  (Read 5889 times)

BayGBM

• Getbig V
What should she wear?
« on: December 04, 2008, 06:06:29 PM »
There is a big competition going on right now among American designers, all of whom want to be chosen to design Mrs. O's dress for the inauguration.

See the full slideshow of designs here http://www.wwd.com/fashion-news/dressing-the-first-lady-1875632?module=today#/slideshow/article/1875632/1876331

Migs

• Getbig V
  • THERE WAS A FIRE FIGHT!!!!
Re: What should she wear?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2008, 06:21:43 PM »
omg so many of them were hideous.

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2008, 11:31:11 PM »
omg so many of them were hideous.

I have to agree. I found that Betsey Johnson design 5/40 just absolutely hideous.  :o

Personally, I think the Isaac Mizrahi design 1/40 that BayGBM shows above would be apprpriate for her.
I think she'd be stunning in deep raspberry or in the solid blue Michael Kors design 14/40.
I'm personally not fond of prints, but the First Lady seems to have a passion for them though.

For me personally, ...I like the chartreuse Caroline Herrara design 3/40

Nicole Miller's 26/40 suit is nice, but not appropriate for an Inaugural Ball.

While Christian Lacroix's designs are elegant (minus the garish flag purses & pins) they strike me as being way too frou-frou for Michelle Obama. She strikes me as a no-nonsense woman who prefers simpler designs
w

powerpack

• Getbig IV
  • Time to get Buck wild!
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2008, 02:24:11 AM »
Anything where you can see her G string outline is good  ;D

garebear

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Never question my instincts.
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2008, 02:26:42 AM »
a strap on. nothing big mind you, but still something that says "i'm a woman with a strap on and, damn it, America respects me"
G

Laura Lee

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2008, 08:37:24 AM »
There is a big competition going on right now among American designers, all of whom want to be chosen to design Mrs. O's dress for the inauguration.

See the full slideshow of designs here http://www.wwd.com/fashion-news/dressing-the-first-lady-1875632?module=today#/slideshow/article/1875632/1876331
Geesh...I didn't realize this was all about her.   ::)
:D Weee

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2008, 05:03:37 PM »
I tried to post the one I liked but it didn't work :-\

Geesh...I didn't realize this was all about her.   ::)
People do seem strangely enamoured by the Obamas' fashion sense.  Maybe it's because they are so young and she dresses a little cuter in comparison to the last first ladies.
R

Migs

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2008, 07:35:35 PM »
or maybe people have too much free time and care what they wear more than what they can acutally or will actually do for the country.  America's value system is so screwed up.  Why care if she/he wears a dress that costs more than what the average american will make in a year.  Sure that is so much more important than say, i don't know um fixing the education system, or getting back social security. 

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2008, 11:45:03 PM »
or maybe people have too much free time and care what they wear more than what they can acutally or will actually do for the country.  America's value system is so screwed up.  Why care if she/he wears a dress that costs more than what the average american will make in a year.  Sure that is so much more important than say, i don't know um fixing the education system, or getting back social security. 

Fashion is an industry, like any other: it employs millions of workers and generates billions of dollars in the economy.  The artists at the top whom design clothes for the rich and famous have their fans and there is nothing wrong with recognizing them or patronizing their products.  Their work is certainly no less meaningful than, say, bodybuilding.

Indeed, it is amusing that someone with an interest in something as vainglorious and superfluous as bodybuilding would find fault with how anyone else would choose to spend their free time.  ::)

Migs

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2008, 07:05:32 PM »
Fashion is an industry, like any other: it employs millions of workers and generates billions of dollars in the economy.  The artists at the top whom design clothes for the rich and famous have their fans and there is nothing wrong with recognizing them or patronizing their products.  Their work is certainly no less meaningful than, say, bodybuilding.

Indeed, it is amusing that someone with an interest in something as vainglorious and superfluous as bodybuilding would find fault with how anyone else would choose to spend their free time.  ::)

Well for one, i don't go to any bb shows, don't keep up with the Mr. O's or any of that.  I actually joined this a while back more for just getting healthy, not huge.  The reason i stick around is because of people like Stella, Jag, and several others, including you, which i like and respect.  I just think that there are some things we just get carried away with.  One of those is caring about what she is going to wear.  Sure the fashion industry employs a lot of people.  But seriously how many regualr people could afford the dress she is going to wear?  Or even most of the lines those designers put out?  Not many.  Only the hoity toity rich.  The average woman can't afford a real vera wang dress, or um some other designer. 

Alex23

« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2008, 07:30:08 PM »

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2008, 10:25:10 PM »
Well for one, i don't go to any bb shows, don't keep up with the Mr. O's or any of that.  I actually joined this a while back more for just getting healthy, not huge.  The reason i stick around is because of people like Stella, Jag, and several others, including you, which i like and respect.  I just think that there are some things we just get carried away with.  One of those is caring about what she is going to wear.  Sure the fashion industry employs a lot of people.  But seriously how many regualr people could afford the dress she is going to wear?  Or even most of the lines those designers put out?  Not many.  Only the hoity toity rich.  The average woman can't afford a real vera wang dress, or um some other designer. 

How many people are going to look like Mr. Olympia?  Not many. 

Mr. O--like the designers sketching for Mrs. Obama--represents an extreme, one that trickles down (like designs) to the little people who go to the gym (and buy designer inspired clothes off the rack at local stores).  The parallels here are so obvious and striking, I’m surprised you wouldn’t be quicker to connect the dots: virtually all of the styles we value today are descended from some overpriced designs created by the top designers.

The average guy at the gym is never going to look like he belongs on the Olympia stage, but by going to extremes and showing what is possible, extreme bodybuilders inspire many gymrats.  The same thing happens in fashion.  When you think about it “getting carried away” with fashion makes a lot more sense than getting carried away with bodybuilding.  Certainly it is more healthy. ;)

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2008, 10:28:51 PM »
btw, I don't know much about fashion, but I think women at formal occasions look best in simple designs with classic lines.  Some of those sketches look like something out of a Halloween costume and not at all suited for an inaugural ball.  :-\

Original Sin

• Getbig IV
  • You fucking disappoint me!
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2008, 06:40:51 PM »
Fashion isn't about what looks good

Is all about what you have you been told looks good.

Seriously can anybody think of anywhere Eau de Couture fashion would even fit?

Unfortunately I am a sheep in this matter.

Versace = Baa
Jimmy Choo = Baa

$500/hr = Baa  ;D ;)
Just Bad Bad Blood!

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2008, 07:00:55 PM »
This... 'stuff'? Oh... ok. I see, you think this has nothing to do with you. You go to your closet and you select out, oh I don't know, that lumpy blue sweater, for instance, because you're trying to tell the world that you take yourself too seriously to care about what you put on your back. But what you don't know is that that sweater is not just blue, it's not turquoise, it's not lapis, it's actually cerulean. You're also blithely unaware of the fact that in 2002, Oscar De La Renta did a collection of cerulean gowns. And then, I think it was, Yves St Laurent, wasn't it, who showed cerulean military jackets? I think we need a jacket here. And then cerulean quickly showed up in the collections of 8 different designers. Then it filtered down through the department stores and then trickled on down into some tragic casual corner where you, no doubt, fished it out of some clearance bin. However, that blue represents millions of dollars and countless jobs and it's sort of comical how you think that you've made a choice that exempts you from the fashion industry when, in fact, you're wearing the sweater that was selected for you by the people in this room. From a pile of stuff.

--Miranda Priestly

Alex23

« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2008, 06:13:14 PM »
This... 'stuff'? Oh... ok. I see, you think this has nothing to do with you. You go to your closet and you select out, oh I don't know, that lumpy blue sweater, for instance, because you're trying to tell the world that you take yourself too seriously to care about what you put on your back. But what you don't know is that that sweater is not just blue, it's not turquoise, it's not lapis, it's actually cerulean. You're also blithely unaware of the fact that in 2002, Oscar De La Renta did a collection of cerulean gowns. And then, I think it was, Yves St Laurent, wasn't it, who showed cerulean military jackets? I think we need a jacket here. And then cerulean quickly showed up in the collections of 8 different designers. Then it filtered down through the department stores and then trickled on down into some tragic casual corner where you, no doubt, fished it out of some clearance bin. However, that blue represents millions of dollars and countless jobs and it's sort of comical how you think that you've made a choice that exempts you from the fashion industry when, in fact, you're wearing the sweater that was selected for you by the people in this room. From a pile of stuff.

--Miranda Priestly

ur gay ;D

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2008, 06:19:37 PM »

ur gay ;D

Why don't you let me prove it to you!  :P

Alex23

« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2008, 06:23:01 PM »
Why don't you let me prove it to you!  :P

HAHAHAHA I believe it!!!!!!!!!! (running away naked)

;D

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2008, 06:26:49 PM »
HAHAHAHA I believe it!!!!!!!!!! (running away naked)

;D

Hmm!  Look at that muscled booty!  :P  Tease!  >:(

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2008, 07:44:45 PM »

ROTFLMAO @ Bay & Alex.

bTW - Meryl Streep was simply amazing in that movie! Should have won an Oscar for the portrayal.
w

Alex23

« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2008, 09:08:36 PM »

ROTFLMAO @ Bay & Alex.

bTW - Meryl Streep was simply amazing in that movie! Should have won an Oscar for the portrayal.

Obviously you haven't read the book ::) ...

her performance = mediocre.

Migs

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2008, 08:53:34 AM »
she should stay at home with the kids wearing a moomoo

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2010, 11:21:49 PM »

Butterbean