Author Topic: parallel squats vs ass to the calves squats, which is better  (Read 12791 times)

J Grey

parallel squats vs ass to the calves squats, which is better
« on: December 11, 2008, 08:07:05 PM »
for developing massive quads, I don't want a round ass though; is it just as good or even better if I go parallel?

windsor88

• Getbig IV
  • Victim of the Drug War
Re: parallel squats vs ass to the calves squats, which is better
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2008, 09:10:08 PM »
who would want a flat ass?  Chicks don't like that shit unless the difference is made up with a fat ass wallet.

leonp1981

• Getbig IV
  • mmmmm....
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2008, 08:20:27 PM »
I've always been wary of damaging my knees by going too low, so I start low and get higher as I increase the weight, so that my final set is at parallel.  It seems to work OK, and I never have any knee problems.

Zach Trowbridge

• Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2008, 12:25:04 PM »
There's some evidence that stopping at parallel is harder on the knees than going all the way down - once you pass parallel your glutes and hamstrings can help share some of the load, whereas at parallel your quads and knees have to stop the downward momentum and reverse it back up.  Something to consider.

jon cole

• Getbig IV
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2008, 02:01:48 PM »
There's some evidence that stopping at parallel is harder on the knees than going all the way down - once you pass parallel your glutes and hamstrings can help share some of the load, whereas at parallel your quads and knees have to stop the downward momentum and reverse it back up.  Something to consider.

that's true, partial is harder for knees, cos in the full squat the hams protect your knees.
asstropin

dan18

• Getbig V
  • I DID WHAT I DID BECAUSE I DO WHAT I WANT.
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2008, 02:32:57 PM »
Thats what knee wraps are for ;D
p

claymore

• Getbig IV
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2008, 12:49:24 PM »
Sink it

Griffith

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2008, 02:15:06 PM »
I've found going right to the bottom to be less stressful on my knees...and my whole body just feels better too.
Bearing in mind I've had a knee arthroscopy as well.
I think going to just parallel all the time would just create muscle imbalances and tug at the tendons causing more problems...going all the way down, I get a great stretch and like I said it makes my knee feel better. But I stay with lighter weights though focusing more on form and just feeling the muscles more, if you know what I mean.

I put a plate under each heal though....I've only been squatting the last few months (instead of leg press) so it's helped with my form. Don't even think I need them anymore but I feel more stable with them and they helped get my stance to a narrow one.

#1 Klaus fan

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2008, 03:19:12 PM »
You get a good stretch reflex just before the bottom, that is a good depth.

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2008, 03:31:31 PM »
Squats were good, box squats were even better in terms of both development and in training a little harder, because there was more safety knowing that if i couldn't make it up i could just sit back down until helped up by spotters.

ripitupbaby

• Pros
  • Getbig V
  • 2010 Olympia Pro Powerlifting Champ
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2008, 05:07:58 AM »
Ass to calves, all the way.  Best compound movement to develop your lower body...it hits everything.  There is almost no need to do anything else.

I used to be scared to death of going all the way down, I thought I would hurt something.  I'm a total convert now.
It takes your joints, hips, and knees some time to get used to, so ease into it...back off the weight and get used to the exercise first, and get comfortable with your stance and proper form.  Once you are there, you'll see the results and never go back to parallel squatting again.   8)

:)

DK II

• Getbig V
  • Call me 4 steroids: 571-332-2588 or 571-249-4163
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2008, 05:30:16 AM »

100% spot on.

Parallel sqats = worst for knees.

KSA

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2008, 07:59:32 AM »
100% spot on.

Parallel sqats = worst for knees.

Why it's worst for knees ?

J Grey

« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2008, 08:02:56 AM »
Ass to calves, all the way.  Best compound movement to develop your lower body...it hits everything.  There is almost no need to do anything else.

I used to be scared to death of going all the way down, I thought I would hurt something.  I'm a total convert now.
It takes your joints, hips, and knees some time to get used to, so ease into it...back off the weight and get used to the exercise first, and get comfortable with your stance and proper form.  Once you are there, you'll see the results and never go back to parallel squatting again.   8)

big round ass here I come  :D ... :'(

DK II

• Getbig V
  • Call me 4 steroids: 571-332-2588 or 571-249-4163
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2008, 08:06:21 AM »
Why it's worst for knees ?

Because the hamstrings work heavily on the deep part of the squat and pull the knee back.
This way, the quadriceps protects the knee in the upper part and the hamstring in the deeper part.

On the 90 degree angle, the pressure for the knee is the highest, when the power shifts from quads to hams.

KSA

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2008, 08:09:51 AM »
Ok next leg workout i will try it.

Thx.

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2008, 08:12:44 AM »
I'd say they can both be problems for knees in different ways. I didn't have problems with box squats for many years.

Zach Trowbridge

• Getbig IV
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2008, 08:14:32 AM »
I'd say they can both be problems for knees in different ways. I didn't have problems with box squats for many years.

How do you box squat?  Touch-and-go?  Westside?  Straight up and down with a pause?

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2008, 08:20:28 AM »
Straight up and down, barely touching. Pause for a few seconds at the top later in the set. I found bench squats to be more effective and safer than full squats. Using a 2" block under the heels on any type of squat improves balance and removes some of the pressure from the knees.

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
  • And now, what joy will I have left to live for?
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2008, 09:32:39 AM »
just as a note, it's not a box squat if you don't actually sit on the box. if you're barely touching, you're just using the box to help you gauge your depth. it's a completely different exercise.

for me, box squats are a little rougher on the knees because i use more weight. parallel squats are in the same boat. the best way to save your knees is basically make sure your knees don't go over your toes, but if you do things WSB style you aren't going to be building your thighs much at all.

just do front squats. save time.

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2008, 09:50:29 AM »
I use the term box squat as a general term, because that's the popular term that people know. I always used a bench, one that wasn't too high, and we called them bench squats.

I don't think front squats are the same, myself i didn't do them.

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
  • And now, what joy will I have left to live for?
« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2008, 10:31:34 AM »
okay, i'm just saying that using the term "box squat" is going to confuse people ("people" meaning "me" in this case, haha). i tend to do them with a bench as well because we have some hilariously strong ones and i can use 5 plates without the thing even bending.

i said front squats not because they're even remotely similar to a box squat, sorry if it seemed that way. what i was saying was that if the question is "what depth should i go to in order to hit my quads the best", it might be a good idea just to front squat and not have to worry about if you're doing it for maximum quad activation or whatever.

i'm horrible at them, largely because i don't do them and partly because my squat training for the past few years has left my quads pretty behind the times while my posterior chain started to take over. but i think they're fantastic for the thighs, especially if you have a shoe with a heel (or alternately a flat shoe with a 2.5 plate under your heels).

Bossa

• Getbig IV
  • Is that Bossa it must be, I heard he husky
« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2008, 06:42:24 PM »
This is about as perfect as you can get:

kimura

• Getbig III
« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2008, 07:44:39 PM »
ass to calves all the way.  I usually do 405 and less down to the ground.  Any more than that and I go to this depth (pic from a few weeks ago)...

flexingtonsteele

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • The new age pussy Punisher!
« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2008, 07:50:06 PM »
go as far down as u comfortably can, then come back up! its all about doing this as part of your lifestyle. Your no good if your squatting ass to grass, get injured and can never squat again.

its much better to squat with perfect form ( however that might be for your body ) then trying to do something u cant physically do just because someone on an internet message board told u to.