Author Topic: A good Arm Workout  (Read 14016 times)

QuakerOats

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • bring amberlamps!!!
Re: A good Arm Workout
« Reply #50 on: February 12, 2009, 07:55:37 AM »
I don't think so the machines gives a different feel isolates the chest a little more than dumbells

i meant doing two db pressing movements and two machine pressing movements in the same workout, probably be better strength and recovery wise to do 1 db press and 1 machine press or just two of either one.

Palpatine Q

• Getbig V
  • Disdain/repugnance....Version 3: glare variation B
« Reply #51 on: February 12, 2009, 08:00:43 AM »
+1. Flex Leverage stuff in particlar for flat and incline press.

Yeah that's good stuff. My old gym had it and I used it a lot

My new gym ain't got it but they have more cable actuated devices than i have ever seen in my life, I don't even know what half of the shit does.

Meso_z

• Getbig V
« Reply #52 on: February 12, 2009, 08:07:17 AM »
meso! my opinion for chest is to drop at least one exercise, and see how it goes for a couple of weeks.

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #53 on: February 12, 2009, 08:26:49 AM »
i meant doing two db pressing movements and two machine pressing movements in the same workout, probably be better strength and recovery wise to do 1 db press and 1 machine press or just two of either one.

Meso you have too much overlap in your programs, even for someone who loves volume. Even when doing your usual program you should take out some of it and when you want to do those exercises substitute them for something already in there.

mesmorph78

• Getbig V
  • there can only be one...
« Reply #54 on: February 12, 2009, 01:12:45 PM »
i dont know pumpster... 4 pressing movenets for chest to me isnt a lot....
i think volumn is a relative term.. i train 5 days a week... lotta volumn still make gains good gains...
hmmmm im a lifter not a bber... i never know how many sets im gonna do before i go in the gym....
i just really genuinly love training..
choice is an illusion

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #55 on: February 12, 2009, 02:55:37 PM »
i dont know pumpster... 4 pressing movenets for chest to me isnt a lot....
i think volumn is a relative term.. i train 5 days a week... lotta volumn still make gains good gains...
hmmmm im a lifter not a bber... i never know how many sets im gonna do before i go in the gym....
i just really genuinly love training..

Knock yourself out, but what's already been said is entirely valid.

mesmorph78

• Getbig V
« Reply #56 on: February 15, 2009, 12:04:58 PM »
no doubt man i take all advice under consideration...
Im doing my arms like you suggested tomorrow
tris first then bis...
put a lil size on my ams recently ant wait to see what the result of doing it like you suggested... over a long period of time
mes  :)
choice is an illusion

mesmorph78

• Getbig V
« Reply #57 on: February 17, 2009, 04:55:13 PM »
just to let you know pumpsster..
i switched it up yesterday felt good did tris first then bi's
.. I think ima do bi's first from now on though... 3 excercises...
get them out the way so i can concentrate on tris..
choice is an illusion

nodeal

• Getbig III
« Reply #58 on: February 17, 2009, 11:24:22 PM »
I believe you work hard meso, so did I. By that i mean you should be going to positive failure on at least one set per exercise if not more. But after doing that for years i've concluded that it wasn't necessary and in fact doesn't make sense.

It's not possible to work to maximum intensity AND to do that much volume. They're mutually exclusive and go in opposite directions. I get the same benefit now by making each set count for more, which equates to far less sets.

i have the same opinion. you know where i learned this from? mike mentzer and his high intensity training. although i wouldnt recommend permanently sticking with HIT, its good to throw it in there for a cycle every now and then. it did taught me a lot, and completely changed the way i work out. i give every set my ALL really trying to do as many reps as my muscles possibly can with a given amount of weight. i only do 6 sets for biceps and 6 sets for triceps, either 3 sets of 2 diff exercises or 2 sets of three different exercises. it is plenty for biceps and triceps, they got sore almost every time, and i can feel the fatigue and success of a good workout every time.

mesmorph78

• Getbig V
« Reply #59 on: February 18, 2009, 12:54:23 PM »

choice is an illusion

QuakerOats

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • bring amberlamps!!!
« Reply #60 on: February 18, 2009, 12:57:45 PM »
good photos Meso but why do you have photos taken from 2 inches away? anyone's arms look big from that angle. :-\

mesmorph78

• Getbig V
« Reply #61 on: February 18, 2009, 01:01:56 PM »
thanks for the back handed compliment... ;)
i took them like that to show the detail  in my arm too them using my cell phone..
there are vids arnd of me measurin my arms a few yrs back ... but anyway i need to make my arms better
choice is an illusion

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #62 on: February 18, 2009, 03:05:28 PM »
i have the same opinion. you know where i learned this from? mike mentzer and his high intensity training. although i wouldnt recommend permanently sticking with HIT, its good to throw it in there for a cycle every now and then.

That's where it comes from; it can be appiled to any degree of volume though. Yates used modified HIT, adding a few sets. Or use moderate volume that is more sets than HIT but still not much volume, and apply higher intensity than what is used in volume, but not as much intensity per set as HIT. Essentially you have to cover more or less the same amount of work to fatigue the muscle, how much you want to spread the work out over multiple sets vs. getting right to it and wear the muscle down quickly rather than dickin around with massive numbers of sets..

True HIT means taking failure well beyond the normal definition, using a training partner and is hard to maintain for long periods of time because of the insane effort needed for each set.

coltrane

• Getbig IV
« Reply #63 on: February 19, 2009, 07:38:31 AM »
good photos Meso but why do you have photos taken from 2 inches away? anyone's arms look big from that angle. :-\

classis quacker jealously right there.

QuakerOats

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • bring amberlamps!!!
« Reply #64 on: February 19, 2009, 07:39:12 AM »
classis quacker jealously right there.
are you denying that the pictures are extreme close ups?

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #65 on: February 19, 2009, 07:57:18 AM »
Close up or from the top of a mountain, those gun's are impressive. Has that excellent balance (down the center) between the bicep and tricep. Something along the line of what Larry Scott had/has. Classic envy by my good bud QO's. Too bad, the less blessed just seem to criticize others the most on GB. Good Luck.
F

coltrane

• Getbig IV
« Reply #66 on: February 19, 2009, 08:34:32 AM »
are you denying that the pictures are extreme close ups?

Nope.  But this isn't Glammer Shots either.  And i don't think Meso is trying to be some huge jacked bb he's not.  He's got a great physique.

Maybe you'd like to set out some rule and regulations regarding the type of pictures allowed on Getbig?

coltrane

• Getbig IV
« Reply #67 on: February 19, 2009, 08:37:29 AM »
Great pic Mes~!

here's my extreme closeup:

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #68 on: February 19, 2009, 08:53:39 AM »
Maybe QO's would like to give us a pic of his gun's reflected in a sliding glass door about 10 feet away. To set the standard for photos, and how they should be presented, on GB...maybe? He might also want to put up a couple of ab's shots for inspiration for the rest of us. Good Luck.
F

coltrane

• Getbig IV
« Reply #69 on: February 19, 2009, 10:21:19 AM »
Maybe QO's would like to give us a pic of his gun's reflected in a sliding glass door about 10 feet away. To set the standard for photos, and how they should be presented, on GB...maybe? He might also want to put up a couple of ab's shots for inspiration for the rest of us. Good Luck.

Yes, i think one should be roughly 10 feet away from the sliding glass door.  That way the glass will give that slimming effect one would desire.   It also tends to lend itself to the best possible shadowing effect given by the sun.

Quacker?  Your thoughts?  We're waiting... ;D

mesmorph78

• Getbig V
« Reply #70 on: February 19, 2009, 12:29:14 PM »
Great pic Mes~!

here's my extreme closeup:

great arms man.... full and peaked.... and cut
quaker is critisizing my Close pic.. when he took a pic of his reflection in a sliding glass door
 :-\
choice is an illusion

QuakerOats

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • bring amberlamps!!!
« Reply #71 on: February 19, 2009, 12:36:10 PM »
great arms man.... full and peaked.... and cut
quaker is critisizing my Close pic.. when he took a pic of his reflection in a sliding glass door
 :-\

and yet my arm looks at least the same size if not bigger and that's from at least 15 feet away, i know, i know........"yeah but you're 652% bodyfat, if you dieted down to negative 46% like me you'd be 79 pounds with 3 inch arms". ;D

mesmorph78

• Getbig V
« Reply #72 on: February 19, 2009, 12:47:53 PM »
and yet my arm looks at least the same size if not bigger and that's from at least 15 feet away, i know, i know........"yeah but you're 652% bodyfat, if you dieted down to negative 46% like me you'd be 79 pounds with 3 inch arms". ;D

good  for you man  ;)

anyway...
coltrane you have big forearms do you work them directly?
choice is an illusion

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #73 on: February 19, 2009, 12:58:16 PM »
More trolling by "jpm" whose ADD prevents focus on training, and who hasn't yet produced any of his own pics.

QuakerOats

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • bring amberlamps!!!
« Reply #74 on: February 19, 2009, 12:59:53 PM »
More trolling by "jpm" whose ADD prevents focus on training, and who hasn't yet produced any of his own pics.
shit doesn't he claim to shoulder press a 175 pound dumbbell with one arm? with a lift like that you'd think there'd be a video of it somewhere. :D