Author Topic: A good Arm Workout  (Read 14014 times)

mesmorph78

• Getbig V
  • there can only be one...
A good Arm Workout
« on: February 09, 2009, 01:14:32 PM »
Here is a good arm workout I did today
Just thought Id share

cable Press downs 4 sets
cable curls  4 sets

skull crushers 4 sets
dumbell double curls 3 sets * curl one arm twice that counts as one rep (palms facing fowards)

seated french presses 4 sets
dumbell preacher curls 4 sets

decline skull crushers 4 sets
hammer curls seated heavy
superset with cross body hammer curls 3 sets

then knuckle facing pressdows with the pulley row handle 4 sets  * for the outer tri head
rope pressdowns 6 sets

great arm workout totally blew those tris and bis out

choice is an illusion

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
Re: A good Arm Workout
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2009, 02:33:20 PM »
I used to do workouts like this, so I speak from experience. The exercises are fine but redundant, includes way too many similar overlapping exercises and far too many sets, *IF* serious work and intensity is applied to each set excluding warmups. In which case the muscles are burnt out and blown up with a third of that volume.

Like it or not, there is NO way to be working hard through all of that, there's some coasting involved to do an endurance workout like that. Endurance is not the name of the game though.
The redundant exercises can be rotated in an out of workouts on different days instead of doing them all at once.

The only real value to that workout is pre-contest. It's good for refinement because as i said there's definitely a big-time endurance component in there that would help with leaness and calories expenditure to some extent.

mesmorph78

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2009, 02:47:51 PM »
wsup pimp trust me i work out hard thing is over the years... inve always used loads of volumn.... so my arms in particularare conditined for it....
i went heavy on all those movements....
never under 6 reps..
... im an anomaly when it comes to endurance for arms... last week i did a harder workout than that.. and still did close grip presses with 315 at the end...
ok what would be a typical mass building workout for you
choice is an illusion

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2009, 03:39:47 PM »
I believe you work hard meso, so did I. By that i mean you should be going to positive failure on at least one set per exercise if not more. But after doing that for years i've concluded that it wasn't necessary and in fact doesn't make sense.

It's not possible to work to maximum intensity AND to do that much volume. They're mutually exclusive and go in opposite directions. I get the same benefit now by making each set count for more, which equates to far less sets.

mesmorph78

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2009, 03:47:17 PM »
i went to failure on two out of three excerses i did
ok take skulls....
my max ever on that is 2 plates per side... but i find it pointless to go that heavy it just realllly hurts my elbows...
so i will do a 45 plate and a 25 each side for 8 reps as the last set that takes me to failure...
can you post up your tri routine.. and i will follow it for a month
im always open to learn
choice is an illusion

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2009, 03:48:42 PM »
supersetting like that i bet you can go on and on and on...   like you said... but IMO i think its better to go one then the other... the super set i normally save for the transition...like my last set with tris ill superset with my first set for bi's..

Bobby

• Getbig V
  • is da lordes plan
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2009, 03:53:14 PM »
I believe you work hard meso, so did I. By that i mean you should be going to positive failure on at least one set per exercise if not more. But after doing that for years i've concluded that it wasn't necessary and in fact doesn't make sense.

It's not possible to work to maximum intensity AND to do that much volume. They're mutually exclusive and go in opposite directions. I get the same benefit now by making each set count for more, which equates to far less sets.

you don't go to failure? i pretty much always go to failure
tank u jesus

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2009, 03:58:01 PM »
i went to failure on two out of three excerses i did
ok take skulls....
my max ever on that is 2 plates per side... but i find it pointless to go that heavy it just realllly hurts my elbows...
so i will do a 45 plate and a 25 each side for 8 reps as the last set that takes me to failure...
can you post up your tri routine.. and i will follow it for a month
im always open to learn

Ya forget about going heavy, it's about applying intensity in the medium rep range you don't need to go that heavy.

This is my favorite arm routine. Don't laugh - it works. What you want to do here is simply focus on getting more reps/weight over time, that's the focus. That's the bottom line for adding size. Add enough extra protein to allow some weight gain while training hard, for best gains.

In each case you can substitute on exercise for another, as long as they hit the same approximate area-for example seated extensions instead of lying, close-grip bench, bench dips or pushdowns instead of dip machine. Each exercise emphasizes different parts of the triceps. These are the sets AFTER warmups. Go to positive failure on each set, then if you can, get someone's help to go into negative failure at least one set using any of the following: partials after you can do any more full reps, cheats, negatives, etc.

Tris:

-Lying triceps extensions 3-4 sets 8-15 reps - your choice of rep ranges within that.

-Dip machine 3 sets 8-15 reps - use any rep range within this range.

That's it - you want to focus on increasing the reps/weight, no matter what.

Once in a while change this by supersetting the two exercises.

Bis:

-3-4 sets of cable or BB curls. 8-15 reps. Go to positive failure on each, go to negative failure on one using cheat curls, partials, etc.

-3 sets preacher curls using cable (better), BB or machine (as long as the machine you're using is felt in the bis).

Once in a while change this up by supersetting one set of each then resting then repeat.

mesmorph78

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2009, 04:01:55 PM »
supersetting like that i bet you can go on and on and on...   like you said... but IMO i think its better to go one then the other... the super set i normally save for the transition...like my last set with tris ill superset with my first set for bi's..
good point i used to work them seperate on arm day... but i got more gains when i started hiting them in a superset fashion... however i do hit them twice a week...
biceps after back
and then tri after shoulders...
not as hard as on a monday but just as a touch up
choice is an illusion

QuakerOats

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • bring amberlamps!!!
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2009, 04:02:26 PM »
very good program right there Pump, cable curls are very underrated, never believed in brutally heavy weights on arm work either with the exception of close grips.

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2009, 04:05:09 PM »
You can do supersets twice a week, and you can hit a muscle hard twice a week. Today it's in vogue to under-rate our recovery period and make the assumption that long recovery is needed.

You can generally recover from a workout in 2-3 days, which means that twice weekly is no problem as long as the workouts aren't long endurance marathons that won't work anyway. Most of the best BBs of the 60s till now did twice weekly for size in the offseason, shorter but intense workouts without worrying about making one of the workouts easier.

mesmorph78

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2009, 04:06:27 PM »

Ya forget about going heavy, it's about applying intensity in the medium rep range you don't need to go that heavy.

This is my favorite arm routine. Don't laugh - it works. What you want to do here is simply focus on getting more reps/weight over time, that's the focus. That's the bottom line for adding size. Add enough extra protein to allow some weight gain while training hard, for best gains.

In each case you can substitute on exercise for another, as long as they hit the same approximate area-for example seated extensions instead of lying, close-grip bench, bench dips or pushdowns instead of dip machine. Each exercise emphasizes different parts of the triceps. These are the sets AFTER warmups. Go to positive failure on each set, then if you can, get someone's help to go into negative failure at least one set using any of the following: partials after you can do any more full reps, cheats, negatives, etc.

Tris:

-Lying triceps extensions 3-4 sets 8-15 reps - your choice of rep ranges within that.

-Dip machine 3 sets 8-15 reps - use any rep range within this range.

That's it - you want to focus on increasing the reps/weight, no matter what.

Once in a while change this by supersetting one exercise of each done consecutively, then rest and repeat.

Bis:

-3-4 sets of cable or BB curls. 8-15 reps. Go to positive failure on each, go to negative failure on one using cheat curls, partials, etc.

-3 sets preacher curls using cable (better), BB or machine (as long as the machine you're using is felt in the bis).

Once in a while change this up by supersetting one set of each then resting then repeat.

wow thats very low volumn
i never do dip machine does absolutley nothing for me....
hmmmmm
i dunno man pump.. that seems like verrry low volumn
i'll give it a try though maybe pressdowns with skull crushers
i'll do that as a touchup on friday for tris...
choice is an illusion

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2009, 04:07:58 PM »
wow thats very low volumn
i never do dip machine does absolutley nothing for me....
hmmmmm
i dunno man pump.. that seems like verrry low volumn
i'll give it a try though maybe pressdowns with skull crushers
i'll do that as a touchup on friday for tris...

Especially when doing high volume it seems like nothing, but keep in mind the idea is to go to positive failure on each set, and to negative failure on one set. If every set is good,the muscles are quickly burnt out, there's nothing else to do. You'll have nothing left if you're serious. The focus always has to be increasing reps and weight. Rest time 1 minute, 1.5 minutes tops.

As far as bench dips as i said just substitute something else that focuses on the medial and lateral heads, like decline close grips, wide-elbow pushdowns, etc.

Do not think of it as a "touchup" day, that's a waste of a day. Each workout can be just as intense as the last one, except for those off days when you don't have much energy.

mesmorph78

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2009, 04:13:16 PM »
oh i am serious....
here's the thing though  for tris
its funny ok lying extensions...
i can probably rep out a lot of reps with a 45 per side on the ez bar
im talkin 20 reps  reps
if i go to say a 45 and a 25 on each side... (I still do it though) after rep 6 it starts to kill my elbows...
so... should i be repping out with the 45's then 20 reps...
is that still productive for mass?
choice is an illusion

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2009, 04:19:35 PM »
Coleman uses 15 reps/set on most of his arm work, which i think is getting close to the limit. The higher you go after that it can still work but you're starting to skew it a little towards endurance and cuts and less about increasing size.What matters the most is eventually increasing the reps/weights-if you do that on any rep range you'll improve size.

Why not somewhere in between, 45 and a 10 or 10 +15-weight that allows 12-15 reps..will that hurt? Right now i'll have to do same, go to higher reps to avoid pain. Still works well. You can also either superset or reduce rest times as alternative ways of increasing intensity without upping the weight and hurting the joints.

On other thing: to minimimze elbow probs on extensions:

-Do the other exercise first-close-grips, dips, pushdowns - will warm up the elbows.

-Keep the reps higher.

-Try variations such as decline extensions, they hurt the elbows the least.

-Try alternate grips like hammer triceps bar or super e-z curl bar, which is different from an e-z curl bar.

QuakerOats

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • bring amberlamps!!!
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2009, 04:24:54 PM »
Coleman uses 15 reps/set on most of his arm work, which i think is getting close to the limit. The higher you go after that it can still work but you're starting to skew it a little towards endurance and maintaining rather than increasing size.What matters the most is eventually increasing the reps/weights-if you do that on any rep range you'll improve size.

Why not somewhere in between, 45 and a 10 or 10 +15-weight that allows 12-15 reps..will that hurt? Right now i'll have to do same, go to higher reps to avoid pain. Still works well. You can also either superset or reduce rest times as an alternative.

-Do the other exercise first-close-grips, dips, pushdowns - will warm up the elbows.

-Keep the reps higher.

EVERY extension movement for triceps gives me elbow pian EVENTUALLY, they always start out fine but after a month or so the elbows start talking, what i do then is switch up the movement to another extension exercise and then come back to the other one.

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2009, 04:26:48 PM »
EVERY extension movement for triceps gives me elbow pian EVENTUALLY, they always start out fine but after a month or so the elbows start talking, what i do then is switch up the movement to another extension exercise and then come back to the other one.

Ya i'm starting to get that, and i hate the idea of excluding them. If nothing else works, what has worked to get around that is doing sets of 20-30. Even though it skews it more towards definition, if you do increase the weight used eventually you'll still see size improvements.

mesmorph78

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2009, 04:27:14 PM »
Coleman uses 15 reps/set on most of his arm work, which i think is getting close to the limit. The higher you go after that it can still work but you're starting to skew it a little towards endurance and cuts and less about increasing size.What matters the most is eventually increasing the reps/weights-if you do that on any rep range you'll improve size.

Why not somewhere in between, 45 and a 10 or 10 +15-weight that allows 12-15 reps..will that hurt? Right now i'll have to do same, go to higher reps to avoid pain. Still works well. You can also either superset or reduce rest times as alternative ways of increasing intensity without upping the weight and hurting the joints.

-Keep the reps higher.

-Try alternate grips like hammer triceps bar or super e-z curl bar, which is different from an e-z curl bar.

I hear you i always do pressdowns first though to warm up the elbow....
i jst feel like if i dont do skulls i havent killed my tris good and proper.. but i will try what you say though.. I ALWAYS open to learn training wise..
choice is an illusion

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2009, 04:27:55 PM »
I agree, you have to do some kind of extension unless you've tried everything above and injuries still happen. I'm starting to get more injuries now but one of those combinations above should always allow something even if it means higher reps.

QuakerOats

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • bring amberlamps!!!
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2009, 04:36:04 PM »
I agree, you have to do some kind of extension unless you've tried everything above and injuries still happen. I'm starting to get more injuries now but one of those combinations above should always allow something even if it means higher reps.
crazy thing about extesions is that there's a million variations, db, bb, machine, overhead, incline, flat, decline, elbows in, elbows out, lowering to different places, etc.

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2009, 05:13:07 PM »
crazy thing about extesions is that there's a million variations, db, bb, machine, overhead, incline, flat, decline, elbows in, elbows out, lowering to different places, etc.

Ya, hopefully you've been able to find something that won't hurt. Some kind of cable extensions with a rope seem easier on the elbows. If you can't, fuggedaboudit the elbows are done.

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2009, 05:37:51 PM »
Seen some good results when doing the heavy-light quad set system. Usually 60-90 seconds between sets. Reps vary.

Example:
Heavy...5 to 7 reps
1) Close (very) grip tricep push down, Bertil Fox way.
2) Slight cheat BB curl

Moderate...8 to 10 reps
3) Lying bench BB tricep press...lower the bar a little beyond half way of the head. Can do this on a incline bench also.
4) Preacher curls..upper chest resting on the top part of the bench...looking for a full extension of the arms on the bench.

Those 4 exercises complete one quad set, going from heavy to moderate, with the 60 to 90 second break between sets. Usually 2 or 3 Quad sets are preformed for the arms, twice a week. Excellent pump for those who chase the pump in a workout. Does not have to be those exact movements, whichever heavy-moderate exercise you can think of. Good Luck.

3) Preacher curl
F

QuakerOats

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • bring amberlamps!!!
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2009, 07:23:15 AM »
Seen some good results when doing the heavy-light quad set system. Usually 60-90 seconds between sets. Reps vary.

Example:
Heavy...5 to 7 reps
1) Close (very) grip tricep push down, Bertil Fox way.
2) Slight cheat BB curl

Moderate...8 to 10 reps
3) Lying bench BB tricep press...lower the bar a little beyond half way of the head. Can do this on a incline bench also.
4) Preacher curls..upper chest resting on the top part of the bench...looking for a full extension of the arms on the bench.

Those 4 exercises complete one quad set, going from heavy to moderate, with the 60 to 90 second break between sets. Usually 2 or 3 Quad sets are preformed for the arms, twice a week. Excellent pump for those who chase the pump in a workout. Does not have to be those exact movements, whichever heavy-moderate exercise you can think of. Good Luck.

3) Preacher curl

that looks like a great workout.

coltrane

• Getbig IV
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2009, 12:15:12 PM »
I think supersetting bis/tris isn't good.

Hit tris, then move to biceps.. 

mesmorph78

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2009, 12:19:07 PM »
dunno i got better gains super setting them....
choice is an illusion