Author Topic: At the Arnold  (Read 1904 times)

The BEAST

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
  • She-Beast
At the Arnold
« on: February 24, 2009, 11:19:47 AM »
So being really new to pl when I am at the Arnold are their any booths I should make it a point to stop by or any people I should try to introduce myself to.  If I have the chance I am going to try to watch some of the competition but I won't be able to spend all day out there.  I buy most of my pl stuff from Niko Hulslander so I am making it a point to find him but give me some idea who else I should look for.

Also I don't know a thing about possible sponsorships in pl.  In bodybuilding it seems pretty straightforward, if you are a hot figure model you have the best chance of getting sponsors.  Now I haven't competed yet so I have nothing to show for pl at this time but it may be good to lay the groundwork and get some contacts.  Any help or ideas would be great.  I plan on sticking with this for a long time.
Jennifer

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
Re: At the Arnold
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2009, 03:33:43 PM »
You are going to have to compete and most likely get to the ELITE total level in your division (or get close to it) unless you know someone.   I can't think of any female lifter I know whos sponsered who hasn't totaled ELITE or who isn't holding records for the federation they compete in. 

Stubborn

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Who wants a mustache ride?
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2009, 08:16:20 PM »
Vet speaks the truth about sponsorships. As far as people to talk to in PL at the Arnold....everyone. The more people who know what you do, and how much you love it, the better. With your numbers I would go talk to the Strongman people. I think you could make a serious mark in the Strongwoman world while at the same time getting your numbers up in PL. You will never find friendlier people either.

The Wall

• Getbig II
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2009, 11:33:33 AM »
 8)

The BEAST

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
  • She-Beast
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2009, 11:02:45 AM »
I have seen some powerlifting magazine...what is that about??  Are they real publications or only like federation literature...

ALSO  are any of you guys going out there?  I need to deadlift on Friday after the expo and am looking for a workout partner.  Anyone in??
Jennifer

The Wall

• Getbig II
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2009, 08:31:21 PM »
 ;) im not competing but ill be there anyways so if you need someone for moral support Im in

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2009, 10:10:22 PM »
I have seen some powerlifting magazine...what is that about??  Are they real publications or only like federation literature...

ALSO  are any of you guys going out there?  I need to deadlift on Friday after the expo and am looking for a workout partner.  Anyone in??

Powerlifting magazines are few and far between.   PowerliftingUSA has some good articles most of the time and alot of meet reports.  It really depends on the issue, I thinkt he last issue was kind of lame with way too many pages on one particular federation, but it did cover their big meet of the year.  Previous issues have had some very good training articles.     Monster Muscle used to be online, but I'm not sure what happened to it. 

I think there is one other, but I dont' subscribe to it. 

Please don't get discouraged by my previous post either.  There is sponsership out there, its just that with powerlifting you have to have some numbers under your belt in order to earn it.   I've been trying to get sponsership for my wife the last year (she has a top 20 bench and a top 10 deadlift on Powerlifting Watch) and have struck out several times.  I was told it was because she only had two big meets under her belt and she doesn't have an ELITE total (her best meet was push/pull).