Author Topic: Cheap, Effective and Novel Gym Equipment  (Read 3416 times)

burn2live

• Getbig IV
Cheap, Effective and Novel Gym Equipment
« on: March 13, 2009, 11:53:13 AM »
A friend of mine would like to open his own gym in the near future and is trying to think of some gym equipment that would be cheap and effective. I'm looking for sites that are particularly cheap, or for any good ideas on how to improvise equipment. For example, we have got a hold of a few kegs that we are going to fill for clean and press. Basic things like this.

Any ideas? One particular request is does anyone know where to source a cheap reverse hyper machine? Bearing in mind we are in the UK. Thanks in advance!

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
Re: Cheap, Effective and Novel Gym Equipment
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2009, 06:44:16 PM »
A friend of mine would like to open his own gym in the near future and is trying to think of some gym equipment that would be cheap and effective. I'm looking for sites that are particularly cheap, or for any good ideas on how to improvise equipment. For example, we have got a hold of a few kegs that we are going to fill for clean and press. Basic things like this.

Any ideas? One particular request is does anyone know where to source a cheap reverse hyper machine? Bearing in mind we are in the UK. Thanks in advance!

Get two set of chains to add to the barbell when benchpressing. Search Youtube for clips on "benchpress chains"

Get the chains from a scrapyard or similar.
As empty as paradise

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2009, 09:10:29 PM »
in the US, 1st chain supply has been the cheapest chain source if you can't drive to Columbus and get them from Toppers (no postage makes them cheaper).   

Chain has gotten stupid expensive lately. 

Stubborn

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Who wants a mustache ride?
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2009, 11:54:41 PM »
I have "improvised" every piece of equipment I needed. Want to make things unique, strong, and cheap? Get yourself a decent welding machine (mig or stick but stick is easier/cheaper to maintain and learn IMO) and go to the steel yard. You have one somewhere near you. Use scrap or stock, it doesnt matter, as long as its built strong and safe. You can make the strongest equipment for the lowest price. The machine will put you back around $1500-$2000 US and you can use it the rest of your life. Very solid investment, especially if you use it for side work. It could easily pay for itself in a few months of side work. If you need help, PM me or crownshep about welding.

Thats the best I can do for you as I have no clue where to get equipment in the UK.

Good luck!

burn2live

• Getbig IV
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2009, 08:25:52 AM »
I have "improvised" every piece of equipment I needed. Want to make things unique, strong, and cheap? Get yourself a decent welding machine (mig or stick but stick is easier/cheaper to maintain and learn IMO) and go to the steel yard. You have one somewhere near you. Use scrap or stock, it doesnt matter, as long as its built strong and safe. You can make the strongest equipment for the lowest price. The machine will put you back around $1500-$2000 US and you can use it the rest of your life. Very solid investment, especially if you use it for side work. It could easily pay for itself in a few months of side work. If you need help, PM me or crownshep about welding.

Thats the best I can do for you as I have no clue where to get equipment in the UK.

Good luck!

Thanks man. There is no way I could afford a welding machine right now. lol. I don't think I'd trust myself with it either!

We have chains in the gym, got them in a DIY store. Is there anything we could fill kegs with that would be less dense than water? We were thinking of filling one with water, one with sand and one with concrete. The only problem is if people couldn't start with the water one, they would need something to progress from.

Stubborn

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2009, 10:30:12 PM »
Thanks man. There is no way I could afford a welding machine right now. lol. I don't think I'd trust myself with it either!

We have chains in the gym, got them in a DIY store. Is there anything we could fill kegs with that would be less dense than water? We were thinking of filling one with water, one with sand and one with concrete. The only problem is if people couldn't start with the water one, they would need something to progress from.

Well keep the welder in mind. You can probably get one for as little as $300 if you look around long enough.

Fill the kegs with sand or concrete. You can just put in less sand in to make it lighter. It will be akward but thats what its about, stabilization. There are also expanding foams that are used in tractor tires that can be fairly heavy once set. They make the keg nearly indestructable too.

burn2live

• Getbig IV
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2009, 05:34:10 AM »
Well keep the welder in mind. You can probably get one for as little as $300 if you look around long enough.

Fill the kegs with sand or concrete. You can just put in less sand in to make it lighter. It will be akward but thats what its about, stabilization. There are also expanding foams that are used in tractor tires that can be fairly heavy once set. They make the keg nearly indestructable too.

Cool, I will look into the foam you mentioned. Will also keep that welder in mind. Have you got any pics of stuff you have rustled up?

crownshep

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2009, 05:44:13 AM »
I live in the UK as well and recently bought myself a welder from Aldi,it cost £39.99,then about a tenner for some packs of rods,and taught myself how to weld.I`ve made all my dumbells from scrap that i`ve found on building sites i`ve worked on and they go from 20lbs up to 110lbs in 5 pound jumps.I also made this 155lb one for rows and add extra plates for heavier sets.
This guy has made a homegym out of wood,it might give you some ideas,and you could replace the wood designs for steel if you do get a welder.

Stubborn

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2009, 04:16:50 PM »
That wooden gym is awesome! ;D Seriously old school.

I will have to look where I posted pics of a few of the things I made. I made a yoke (wood pillars & oly bar), rolling thunder (steel), adjustable stone platform (steel & wood), farmers (iron pipe), axle bar (steel), truck prowler (steel), and a bunch of other stuff like harnesses and carrying implements.

Its all very rewarding when you get to use something you made yourself. Not sure on what the publics take would be on a gym like that? Great idea for a PL/Strongman gym though!

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2009, 03:30:50 PM »
That wooden gym is awesome! ;D Seriously old school.

The first power rack I ever used was wooden.   Nothing like good old 4x4's to save your ass....  ;D

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2009, 04:43:43 PM »
hahahah that wooden gym is awesome man very midevil looking.

burn2live

• Getbig IV
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2009, 05:41:17 PM »
Wooden gym is quality alright