Author Topic: Why do so many people have so much against protein powder?  (Read 17573 times)

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
Re: Why do so many people have so much against protein powder?
« Reply #75 on: March 30, 2009, 06:52:44 AM »
ok, that sounds good. However, what about artificial flavors, sweeteners, sugar or fat in that ones?
hey have tuna in tomato sauce in cans over here, but it tastes like shit.

Oh hell yes.

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #76 on: March 30, 2009, 06:54:14 AM »
ok, that sounds good. However, what about artificial flavors, sweeteners, sugar or fat in that ones?
hey have tuna in tomato sauce in cans over here, but it tastes like shit.

Of course there are tons of those in those kinds of tuna.
I hate the State.

YoungBlood

• Getbig V
  • Weee!
« Reply #77 on: March 30, 2009, 06:58:47 AM »
For me protein powder is for extreme convenience. I'll wake up at 2:30am for work at times, and the last thing I want to do is sit down to a can of tuna at that hour!!! So I'll have my shake in the shaker bottle ready to fill with water and drink that as I walk out the door. Also, I have around 60-70g of protein in that shake, so that would be 2.5 cans of tuna, making it even more unbearable to sit down to at that hour!

I like shakes, but I certainly PREFER having solid food as much as possible.

DK II

• Getbig V
  • Call me 4 steroids: 571-332-2588 or 571-249-4163
« Reply #78 on: March 30, 2009, 06:59:15 AM »
Oh hell yes.

See, that's one point. You buy the flavor with lots of unhealthy shit you don't want.

I buy plain non-flavored whey powder. No flavors, no sweeteners, nothing added. Then, i add a banana one day, some frozen berries the other day, instant coffee, cocoa powder, mix it with juice, yoghurt, milk.
The possibilities are endless, and all it does is add some protein to other ingredients.

I buy 2kg of plain whey for about 30 Euros. One liter of milk has about 35grams of protein, and costs me 1 Euro. So for 30 Euros, i get about 1kg of protein out of milk, plus the fat and carbs i would have to take with that.

Protein powder is convenient and makes a high protein diet less expensive. And it tastes better at times.

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #79 on: March 30, 2009, 07:06:51 AM »
See, that's one point. You buy the flavor with lots of unhealthy shit you don't want.

I buy plain non-flavored whey powder. No flavors, no sweeteners, nothing added. Then, i add a banana one day, some frozen berries the other day, instant coffee, cocoa powder, mix it with juice, yoghurt, milk.
The possibilities are endless, and all it does is add some protein to other ingredients.

I buy 2kg of plain whey for about 30 Euros. One liter of milk has about 35grams of protein, and costs me 1 Euro. So for 30 Euros, i get about 1kg of protein out of milk, plus the fat and carbs i would have to take with that.

Protein powder is convenient and makes a high protein diet less expensive. And it tastes better at times.

Non-flavoured whey? Why?
I hate the State.

DK II

• Getbig V
« Reply #80 on: March 30, 2009, 07:09:12 AM »
Non-flavoured whey? Why?

Did you read what i wrote?

Because you can make it any flavor you want without getting all the sweeteners and artificial flavors, plus you don't have to go through 2kg of the same boring flavor but you can make it a different flavor every day.

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #81 on: March 30, 2009, 07:11:31 AM »

You crazy gorilla.  I don't eat that tuna (hit it hard for a few weeks about 4 or 5 years ago).  You can't miss it in the shop tho.  Takes up like a 1/4 of the aisle on one side, bottom to top.  

Generally I'll have plain tuna with some home made mayonaisse (from olive oil), usually a sandwich.  My main fish is still salmon tho, at least once a week.

DK II

• Getbig V
« Reply #82 on: March 30, 2009, 07:16:56 AM »
You crazy gorilla.  I don't eat that tuna (hit it hard for a few weeks about 4 or 5 years ago).  You can't miss it in the shop tho.  Takes up like a 1/4 of the aisle on one side, bottom to top.  

Generally I'll have plain tuna with some home made mayonaisse (from olive oil), usually a sandwich.  My main fish is still salmon tho, at least once a week.

i try to switch to "fresh" fish, at least not canned. Here in Germany, you can only get deep frozen stuff in the supermarkets, or the canned garbage.

Kyomu had some great ideas about convenient food when we met up in Barcelona, like adding 400g of fresh tuna into Miso soup, that's fast and delicious. He is all about "live" food, and i have to agree that the less food is processed, the better it is. Even canned tuna goes a long way and isn't that much different from protein powder, if you think of it.

Fresh raw milk --- pasteurized milk --- protein powder --- amino acids
fresh tuna --- canned tuna

JasonH

• Getbig V
« Reply #83 on: March 30, 2009, 07:17:18 AM »
For me protein powder is for extreme convenience. I'll wake up at 2:30am for work at times, and the last thing I want to do is sit down to a can of tuna at that hour!!! So I'll have my shake in the shaker bottle ready to fill with water and drink that as I walk out the door. Also, I have around 60-70g of protein in that shake, so that would be 2.5 cans of tuna, making it even more unbearable to sit down to at that hour!

I like shakes, but I certainly PREFER having solid food as much as possible.

QFT

I'm the same - I'm in work for eight hours a day before I get to go and train and having solid food all the time is an inconvenience - I have my whey protein shakes purely as an insurance policy when I've got a spare two minutes rather than plow through chicken and rice. I still have two solid meals whilst at work though on top of that. On weekends however when I'm not working it all changes and the vast majority of my meals are solid - loads of red meat and chicken. It's all about having the time on your hands to do it.

wavelength

• Getbig V
  • ~~~
« Reply #84 on: March 30, 2009, 07:18:17 AM »
It's nasty but convenient.

Method101

• Getbig V
« Reply #85 on: March 30, 2009, 07:18:47 AM »
i take a drink containing 50g of whey protein and 50g of dextrose right after a workout.

I buy my stuff from www.myprotein.co.uk I advise all the members here from the UK do the same.

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #86 on: March 30, 2009, 07:20:47 AM »
i try to switch to "fresh" fish, at least not canned. Here in Germany, you can only get deep frozen stuff in the supermarkets, or the canned garbage.

Kyomu had some great ideas about convenient food when we met up in Barcelona, like adding 400g of fresh tuna into Miso soup, that's fast and delicious. He is all about "live" food, and i have to agree that the less food is processed, the better it is. Even canned tuna goes a long way and isn't that much different from protein powder, if you think of it.

Fresh raw milk --- pasteurized milk --- protein powder --- amino acids
fresh tuna --- canned tuna

But did he talk about it in Japanese using lots of -wa topic markers?
I hate the State.

DK II

• Getbig V
« Reply #87 on: March 30, 2009, 07:23:01 AM »
But did he talk about it in Japanese using lots of -wa topic markers?

lol, ha and ga and mo and some others as well....

::) ::)

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #88 on: March 30, 2009, 07:25:23 AM »
lol, ha and ga and mo and some others as well....

::) ::)

-wa=topic marker
-ha=? accusative
-mo=? dative
-ga=nominative

That right?

How many morphological markers are there in total?
I hate the State.

DK II

• Getbig V
« Reply #89 on: March 30, 2009, 07:29:12 AM »
-wa=topic marker
-ha=? accusative
-mo=? dative
-ga=nominative

That right?

How many morphological markers are there in total?

sorry, but you're totally wrong.

You're mixing up topic markers and particles.

wa = ha (written with the hiragana "ha", but pronounced "wa)
mo = as well
ga = equivalent to moninative (cannot say that 100%)

"accusative" = wo (o)
"dative" = ni

If you're really interested, read this:

http://www.amazon.de/Japanische-Morphosyntax-Jens-Rickmeyer/dp/3872767186

YoungBlood

• Getbig V
  • Weee!
« Reply #90 on: March 30, 2009, 07:38:08 AM »
QFT

I'm the same - I'm in work for eight hours a day before I get to go and train and having solid food all the time is an inconvenience - I have my whey protein shakes purely as an insurance policy when I've got a spare two minutes rather than plow through chicken and rice. I still have two solid meals whilst at work though on top of that. On weekends however when I'm not working it all changes and the vast majority of my meals are solid - loads of red meat and chicken. It's all about having the time on your hands to do it.

I've made it!!! After 4k posts, I've finally made it on GetBig and have been "QFT'd" !!!!

I'm also "one of those guys" that has the Milos style shakes pre-intra-post workout, though I'm not buying his shakes. I make them from Trueprotein.com.
To me, I have my preferences as to how I'd like to ingest all my food. Certainly SOLID food reigns supreme, in my book. But with my schedule, driving a Class A truck and going to bed/waking up at such odd times, it's hard to live out of Tupperware, buy every meal, and/or sucking down chicken breast all the time. So, shakes as nearly a necessity for me, and since I can afford it, as well as the results I am happy with, I will continue to drink shakes.
The bottom line, isn't so much what kind of protein powder or source you are getting your protein from...

...it's that you are getting protein!!! Be it from a steak, tuna, shake, chicken breast or eating rice and beans.

JasonH

• Getbig V
« Reply #91 on: March 30, 2009, 10:38:24 AM »
i take a drink containing 50g of whey protein and 50g of dextrose right after a workout.

I buy my stuff from www.myprotein.co.uk I advise all the members here from the UK do the same.

I've been ordering from them for about nine months now - excellent company - got some whey isolate and waxy maize on order right now.

Palpatine Q

• Getbig V
  • Disdain/repugnance....Version 3: glare variation B
« Reply #92 on: March 30, 2009, 10:43:24 AM »
Who cares about sweeteners and shit?

i just wolf it down and move on, taste is irrelevant

Eyeball Chambers

• Getbig V
  • Would you hold still? You're making me fuck up...
« Reply #93 on: March 30, 2009, 11:03:54 AM »
Hi Gene. 

lol

Wish I could take credit for the genius that is NW83.
S

tommywishbone

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Biscuit
« Reply #94 on: March 30, 2009, 11:04:18 AM »
Every single competitive amateur and professional bodybuilder I've ever known, and I've known 100's, has used protein supplements. No exceptions.
a

Eyeball Chambers

• Getbig V
« Reply #95 on: March 30, 2009, 11:08:22 AM »
Raw eggs bitchessssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssss sssss
S

benchthis

• Getbig V
  • operation deep throat
« Reply #96 on: March 30, 2009, 11:16:47 AM »
Every single competitive amateur and professional bodybuilder I've ever known, and I've known 100's, has used protein supplements. No exceptions.
HOW AND WHY DO YOU KNOW SO MANY COMPETITORS

Eyeball Chambers

• Getbig V
« Reply #97 on: March 30, 2009, 11:17:20 AM »
HOW AND WHY DO YOU KNOW SO MANY COMPETITORS

Don't be hatin a schmoe
S

kyomu

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • トホカミエミタメ ハラヒタマヒ キヨメタマフ
« Reply #98 on: March 30, 2009, 11:31:46 AM »
Yet, their basic protein source is chicken breast,Beef,eggs...etc.

evandatp

• Getbig IV
  • Haunted4Pay
« Reply #99 on: March 30, 2009, 01:00:33 PM »
You want to give me more money for 'real food'?

Fuck satisfying, in two shakes I can cover 100gr of protein in a few seconds.
And I bet you're still covering your toilet bowl with the resulting squirts in a few seconds.

It's not what you ingest it's what you digest. Protein needs fat & an acidic environment.

Try this: replace you protein shakes with 3 whole eggs beaten lightly into 1-2 tablespoons of cream & 1-2 tablespoons of vinegar.

Let me know how you are after a month of this.