Author Topic: are flies underratted ?  (Read 3376 times)

jon cole

• Getbig IV
are flies underratted ?
« on: April 02, 2009, 03:41:17 AM »
i'm on my 5 week cutting cycle and started flies at the beginning of the cycle, just to change the routine.
believe or not my pec gain a lot of mass, and appreciable strength on bench press although i'm cutting.
i gain strength on the "take off" phase of the bp, which was my weak point.

for the last 10 years i've heard that "flies are for sissy" etc etc...
they are not in fact.
asstropin

Meso_z

• Getbig V
Re: are flies underratted ?
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2009, 03:49:41 AM »
i'm on my 5 week cutting cycle and started flies at the beginning of the cycle, just to change the routine.
believe or not my pec gain a lot of mass, and appreciable strength on bench press although i'm cutting.
i gain strength on the "take off" phase of the bp, which was my weak point.

for the last 10 years i've heard that "flies are for sissy" etc etc...
they are not in fact.

Now who the fuck told you that???

Flies are one of the best exersices for chest, incline or flat.

webcake

• Getbig V
  • Not now chief...
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2009, 03:51:54 AM »

x2

Great exercise.
No doubt about it...

jon cole

• Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2009, 03:53:33 AM »

yes, now flies seems better for me than dumbell or barbell press, i've got big tri and delt but weak chest.
although i will continue bp and incline press for general mass.
i 've lost ten years.
asstropin

jon cole

• Getbig IV
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2009, 03:55:43 AM »
flies hurt the chest directly, without the help of tri and delt.
asstropin

webcake

• Getbig V
  • Not now chief...
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2009, 04:00:14 AM »
flies hurt the chest directly, without the help of tri and delt.

It is one of the few isolation exercises you can do for chest.

It will still work your delts a bit.....but not as much as pretty much any other chest exercise.
No doubt about it...

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2009, 08:34:17 AM »
DB fly's are a good exercise but there comes a time when it morf's into a semi wide DB press. Usually when 50lbs or more are used in the movement the elbows must be bent to adjust to the extra weight. This tends to bring in more delts. In any case, bent elbows or not, a very productive movement for the pec's; flat, incline or decline. Not a sissy exercise. Great as a preexhaustion movement right before BP's (BB/DB).

Most guy's can get a better bang for their buck when using a pec deck, with the elbows on the pads, not with the hands gripping the handles way out. Better direct focus/leverage on the pec's themselves. Good Luck.
F

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2009, 09:12:51 AM »
DB fly's are a good exercise but there comes a time when it morf's into a semi wide DB press. Usually when 50lbs or more are used in the movement the elbows must be bent to adjust to the extra weight. This tends to bring in more delts. In any case, bent elbows or not, a very productive movement for the pec's; flat, incline or decline. Not a sissy exercise. Great as a preexhaustion movement right before BP's (BB/DB).

Most guy's can get a better bang for their buck when using a pec deck, with the elbows on the pads, not with the hands gripping the handles way out. Better direct focus/leverage on the pec's themselves. Good Luck.

The elbows are not bent in order to accomodate the weight, they are bent to lessen the negative effect on the shoulder joints and do not involve more delts if done properly.

Pec deck can be good but what he neglected to mention is that they can because of their fixed ROM be very tough on the shoulders in many designs, and be less than ideal for the chest. Depends on the machine. The old ones from the 70s were the best.

I do believe that flys are under-rated and are arguably the best single chest exercise. The best of all of them are cable flys and 70s pec deck.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2009, 09:30:27 AM »
True that they are tougher on the shoulders but i think DB flys are a great exercise, i never did DB until a yr ago or so and i noticed a decent difference in shape and definition of my chest until i hurt my shoulder...LOL more then likely due to wear and tear and it was benching.

Bobby

• Getbig V
  • is da lordes plan
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2009, 10:08:23 AM »
i always do flies with cables.

flat bench, or incline, or standing...never with dumbells
tank u jesus

nodeal

• Getbig III
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2009, 04:22:39 PM »
i love flies, gets my chest noticeably more sore compared to when i do all presses.

mademan80

• Getbig II
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2009, 05:09:25 PM »
flies are "sissy" compared to what?  look at those who told u that and see what kind of bullshit movements they are doing to replace flies...you cant beat doing flies....one the best chest exercises

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2009, 05:13:23 PM »
flies work much better for me when i start with the dumbells down by my hips.

jon cole

• Getbig IV
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2009, 04:40:34 AM »
flies are "sissy" compared to what?  look at those who told u that and see what kind of bullshit movements they are doing to replace flies...you cant beat doing flies....one the best chest exercises

my classical train was bp/incline barbell/dumbell press etc etc ...and my bp stale for years, and my chest are still weak= OVERTRAINING.

no i do bp/flies/incline since only two weeks and my bp increase, my chest are in better shape.
asstropin

jon cole

• Getbig IV
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2009, 04:49:41 AM »
sometime it's so simple.
asstropin

JasonH

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2009, 02:38:56 PM »
Come to think of it I don't think I've ever done a chest workout in my life that hasn't included some form of flyes. Excellent exercise.

SuperMike3288

• Getbig III
  • Up, up, and away!
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2009, 10:35:20 AM »
Does anyone not do flat bench and just do flies? Or does anyone make their main exercise flies? ...I know when I do flat bench press it usually hurts my shoulder and I don't see a lot of good results from it so I was predominately doing incline, but should I switch to making flies my main movement? Thanks!
Intensity; the measure of man

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2009, 11:14:20 AM »
Does anyone not do flat bench and just do flies? Or does anyone make their main exercise flies? ...I know when I do flat bench press it usually hurts my shoulder and I don't see a lot of good results from it so I was predominately doing incline, but should I switch to making flies my main movement? Thanks!

I switched from presses to just flys decades ago, for both reasons you've mentioned-development or lack thereof, and shoulder probs from BB. Felt strange to leave them out, but only for a very short time, and was definitely better for me in terms of development and reduced/nonexistent shoulder stress.

Before giving up on presses it's worth trying alternatives that can be easier on the joints and arguably better on the muscle-machine or DB presses or even pushups. I make flys the main course but then sometimes include some of these after, or just leave it at flys only-flat, incline, decline. I believe Bob Chick also does something like this, for the same reasons.

And of course take the time to always ensure a good warmup including a couple of minutes of windmills coupled with light sets and no more than a minute between sets to keep the area warm.

wild willie

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2009, 12:23:01 PM »
Arnold loved db flyes and look at his chest.......

mademan80

• Getbig II
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2009, 07:10:03 PM »
Arnold loved db flyes and look at his chest.......

arnold was a genetic freak...

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2009, 10:25:37 PM »

That's not a compelling reason to think they're not great.

jon cole

• Getbig IV
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2009, 04:47:30 AM »
no polemic on my post. 8)
asstropin

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2009, 10:36:20 AM »
wheres the proof that he has better genetics than any other bodybuilder? you know what drugs he took in  what doseages for what lengths? you know what his diet was on a daily basis? you know whatevery other bodybuilder takes and for how long?

fact= arnold was on dbol since he was around 14-15 years old. fact= steroids were legal cheap and legit and easy access to arnold. fact= arnold had the goal of becoming the best bb'er in the world and set his mind to the fact he would do ANYTHING to attain that.

:P hink about it

mademan80

• Getbig II
« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2009, 02:55:18 PM »
That's not a compelling reason to think they're not great.

no not saying that at all...flies are a must when it comes to good chest development

NoCalBbEr

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2009, 03:02:20 PM »
your chest main job is to bring the arms in i.e. the same ROM  of a flye. I