Author Topic: Dogs in Southern Afghanistan  (Read 1172 times)

Ex Coelis

• Getbig V
Dogs in Southern Afghanistan
« on: April 17, 2009, 07:50:51 PM »
One of the things that disturbed me most about my tour was how Afghans abuse dogs. They throw rocks at the poor pups, choke and beat them. Even the kids are savage about it. Not once did I see a person pet a dog over there. (To be fair, the nomads weren't quite as bad. I swear some of their dogs were the size of a small donkey and right fearless, vicious beasts)

I was amazed at how many wild/stray dogs there were. We saw all types including some big mean looking fuckers. The funny part was how afraid they were of people, though given how Afghans treat them it's not all surprising. Unlike our 'hosts', we loved the dogs. We would always feed them beef jerky and rations. The second we did, the dogs became our fierce friends.

Up at one of the police sub stations we lived in for over a month we had about 8 stray dogs that made our camp their home. Also, when we went out on dismounted patrols  one or two of them would march with us. On one patrol, we had set up a defensive position and one of the two dogs with us would run up and down the line or lie beside my c6 looking out; ever vigilant. haha the other was less energetic. He'd just lie next to the guys in the center and snuggle up when shots started going off and the artillery came in.

Back at camp,  whenever locals would get too close the dogs would go ballistic. Towards the end, I think they had become a little racist  ;D