Author Topic: Anybody buying The Wrestler on DVD?(possible spoilers)  (Read 4093 times)

paulsed1

• Getbig II
Anybody buying The Wrestler on DVD?(possible spoilers)
« on: April 22, 2009, 08:18:13 AM »
I thought the movie was great, but that whole heart attack thing really bugged me.  I myself had been having cardiac issues, although everything seems to be in the clear now, it was apparently because of just taking too many supplements, especially high doses of the arginine/caffiene variety.  But man, that whole scenario hit home, bothered me more than most horror films!

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
  • I can spot crazy pussy....
Re: Anybody buying The Wrestler on DVD?
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2009, 05:53:28 PM »
great movie but the DVD commercial is confusing. The adverstisement looks cartoonish like it's just about a washed up pro wrestler having a good time. Complete with upbeat, feel good music.

The movie is fucking depressing, but a great flick. There so much more about that movie other than the wrestling. I was really thrown off about the DVD release commercial. Very strange, given the somber mood to the movie.

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2009, 06:47:59 PM »
I thought the movie was great, but that whole heart attack thing really bugged me.  I myself had been having cardiac issues, although everything seems to be in the clear now, it was apparently because of just taking too many supplements, especially high doses of the arginine/caffiene variety.  But man, that whole scenario hit home, bothered me more than most horror films!

what was wrong with your heart dude??

paulsed1

• Getbig II
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2009, 08:20:54 PM »
I am pretty sure it was just from years of supplement usage of stuff like NO-Explode and Endorush in too great of an amount.  I have scaled back quite a bit on that stuff and it seems okay now.  The catalyst seemed to be using NO-explode and Arimatest at the same time, that drove the heart rate up.  All things in moderation, as usual.  Thanks for asking  :).

gcb

• Getbig IV
  • you suffer, why?
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2009, 10:40:23 PM »
Supplements are a scam (except for a good protein powder). They can contain loads of extra sugar and sodium and they cost a bucket load of money and the side effects are unknown.

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2009, 07:06:39 AM »
I had some heart problems as well.....doctor says my heart is really really muscular and it was part genetic and also partly due to the heavy weightlifting...but I also wonder if the creatine use had something to do with it as well.....have some chest pain every now and then but doesn't affect me otherwise.....interestin g that you think the NO explode and other stuff contributed to it...what did the doctor say about that?

paulsed1

• Getbig II
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2009, 01:34:15 PM »
They are pretty much in agreement, but then again, doctors are pretty much anti-anything when it comes to supplements.  I now pretty much just use protein, MRP, vitamins, EFAs, experia (good health product)creatine (size on) and i'll have maybe about a 1/3 of a bottle of endorush before training.  I used to drink a whole bottle a couple years ago.

This is turning into a conversation more for the supplement board, but I posted a link in another post from another website that mentions studies that say people had experienced side effects from arginine and/or arginine alpha ketogluterate.  I was actually taking straight arginine powder for a while because I thought my blood pressure was high and that it might help with that.  At the same time though, I was getting heart pain.  Cut the arginine out, no more heart pain.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2009, 01:34:42 PM »
I had some heart problems as well.....doctor says my heart is really really muscular and it was part genetic and also partly due to the heavy weightlifting...but I also wonder if the creatine use had something to do with it as well.....have some chest pain every now and then but doesn't affect me otherwise.....interestin g that you think the NO explode and other stuff contributed to it...what did the doctor say about that?

Creatine leading to a heart issue?  Never heard it linked to anything pertaining to the heart.

I already have the DVD.  Great movie.

paulsed1

• Getbig II
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2009, 02:29:13 PM »
Creatine leading to a heart issue?  Never heard it linked to anything pertaining to the heart.

How are the extras?  Anything interesting pertaining to real-life wrestlers?

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2009, 07:26:19 PM »
I actually thought the Wrestler was an awesome movie and I thought it was realistic in showing how wrestlers have to abuse themselves because it's what the crowd demands....Mickey Rourke was awesome and by the end of the movie I actually believed he was a wrestler, thats how good he was.....I would have had no problem with him winning the academy award..

gcb

• Getbig IV
  • you suffer, why?
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2009, 11:30:55 PM »

Doesn't Creatine make you hold extra water? That would probably bump up your blood pressure.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2009, 09:38:17 AM »
How are the extras?  Anything interesting pertaining to real-life wrestlers?

I don't have the official DVD.  It's a copy a friend of mine "acquired" a few months ago.  I think I'm going to buy the real one eventually.

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2009, 09:43:49 AM »

In my mind. He didnt die. He Slam Jammed the black/iranian guy and he got up and banged the stripper

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2009, 12:26:22 PM »
Who buys DVDs?  Not me.

I rent from Nextflix.  If I really like it, I'll rip the movie to my hard drive.  If I really really like it I could just copy the disk with a click of my mouse. I have a stash of blank DVDs ready and waiting, but in all honesty I have never used them. There is no DVD I have liked or wanted badly enough to copy it.

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2009, 04:29:32 PM »

Too bad you weren't around 4 years ago when I was posting about the dangers of Arginine on the Nutrition board.
...although, given the quantity and volume of haters that existed there then, ...you might not have recognized the validity of the information provided. Glad you were able to figure it out before something really bad happened.

BTW Dude, {slap} if you're going to post a spoiler, ...please indicate it in the subject line. Sheesh!  ::)

I'm glad I waited until after seeing this movie to click on the thread.
w

Migs

• Getbig V
  • THERE WAS A FIRE FIGHT!!!!
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2009, 07:35:48 PM »
damnit, i haven't seen it yet.

paulsed1

• Getbig II
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2009, 08:54:43 PM »
Too bad you weren't around 4 years ago when I was posting about the dangers of Arginine on the Nutrition board.
...although, given the quantity and volume of haters that existed there then, ...you might not have recognized the validity of the information provided. Glad you were able to figure it out before something really bad happened.

BTW Dude, {slap} if you're going to post a spoiler, ...please indicate it in the subject line. Sheesh!  ::)

I'm glad I waited until after seeing this movie to click on the thread.

Well, I don't know if you would call it a spoiler because it happens well before the end.  I knew about it before I saw it and it didn't take anything away from the film, at least for me.

There is not a whole lot about negative stuff associated with arginine out there, mostly on it's benefits, other than those studies i mentioned.  Could you share some of the information you had posted before please?

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2009, 09:51:46 PM »

Well, I don't know if you would call it a spoiler because it happens well before the end.  I knew about it before I saw it and it didn't take anything away from the film, at least for me.

How do you know that? You yourself said it hit you hard. How do you know it wouldn't have had an even greater impact, had it been revealed as it was meant to? It's still a spoiler, because it reveals information that should be revealed only in the movie.

I didn't know about it, until I actually watched the film, ...and it was a very suspenseful moment. Gee Whiz Dude, film makers work hard to build up to these moments, and take people by surprise. Don't rob them of all their hard work. I didn't know what had happened to him until it was revealed in the movie, ...that's how it was intended to be. Just because someone spoiled it for you, ...doesn't mean you have the right to spoil it for others.  >:(

There is not a whole lot about negative stuff associated with arginine out there, mostly on it's benefits, other than those studies i mentioned.  Could you share some of the information you had posted before please?

I'm sorry. I'm a bit burned out from single-handedly fighting that battle against an army of very vocal ignorance.
You're going to have to do a search through the Nutrition board. Why would you want to even know more about it anyway. Isn't it enough to know that it's a potentially very dangerous product for people to take, ...especially for someone like you?
w

paulsed1

• Getbig II
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2009, 10:36:06 PM »

I didn't know about it, until I actually watched the film, ...and it was a very suspenseful moment. Gee Whiz Dude, film makers work hard to build up to these moments, and take people by surprise. Don't rob them of all their hard work. I didn't know what had happened to him until it was revealed in the movie, ...that's how it was intended to be. Just because someone spoiled it for you, ...doesn't mean you have the right to spoil it for others.  >:(
Alright, alright, chill, we're all friends here.  Point well taken, I will keep that spoiler label for any future references to movies, it was certainly not my intention to spoil it for anyone.
I'm sorry. I'm a bit burned out from single-handedly fighting that battle against an army of very vocal ignorance.
You're going to have to do a search through the Nutrition board. Why would you want to even know more about it anyway. Isn't it enough to know that it's a potentially very dangerous product for people to take, ...especially for someone like you?

Yes, it is enough to know, sometimes it just satisfies the mind a bit more to understand the reason behind something.  I can understand what you mean by burn out though.  It seems the best bet is to lay off all the arginine/NO products out there.  They are still pretty popular, but they are doing who knows what kind of damage to people..

Migs

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2009, 12:45:33 PM »
I freebase it, makes me stronger.   :D

Just saw the movie, depressing as hell but good.  Marisa Tomei still looks good.

ATHEIST

• Getbig IV
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2009, 01:14:48 PM »
bought the movie last night with plans to watch it tonight..i had no idea he died in the movie, thanks a lot. Im still going to watch it but you took an element from the movie that i didnt know existed.

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2009, 02:29:06 PM »
bought the movie last night with plans to watch it tonight..i had no idea he died in the movie, thanks a lot. Im still going to watch it but you took an element from the movie that i didnt know existed.

Damn, man...
How about a SPOILER ALERT next time! >:(

Migs

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2009, 08:13:48 PM »
maybe he didn't die...

ATHEIST

• Getbig IV
« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2009, 03:50:36 AM »