Author Topic: Transcript of today's MMAjunkie.com Chat with WEC Executive Reed Harris  (Read 631 times)

SinCitysmallGUY

• Getbig V
  • FIST-ta-CUFF Radio
MMAjunkie.com today hosted an online chat with Reed Harris, World Extreme Cagefighting's co-founder and current general manager.

A transcript of the chat is now available.

In addition to discussing the upcoming June 7 "WEC 41: Brown vs. Faber II" event, Mr. Harris also discussed women's MMA in the WEC, Dana White, the possibility of pay-per-view events, WEC events on DVD, when we'll see the new 125-pound division, the possibility of signing Norifumi "Kid" Yamamoto and countless other topics.

Below is the full transcript of the chat, which was hosted by MMAjunkie.com's George Garcia and Dann Stupp and the WEC's Dave Scholler.

Thank you to all MMAjunkie.com readers and MMAjunkie.com Radio listeners who joined us for the event. Stay tuned for future chats with some of the sport's top fighters and executives.

(And for the latest on WEC 41, check out the MMA Rumors section of MMAjunkie.com.)

Host Dann Stupp says: Looks like the man of the hour has joined us. We'll let him get situated, and we'll fire off the first question in about 5 minutes.

Host Dann Stupp says: This will be really easy, everyone. If you have a question, go ahead and submit it now or anytime once we've started. We'll choose the best ones for Mr. Harris to answer.

WEC Reed Harris says: Hey MMAJunkie readers! I'm here and excited to answer questions. We really think Brown-Faber II is one of the biggest fights ever held in the lighter weight classes.

Host Dann Stupp: Also, a big thanks to George Garcia, our director of radio operations and radio host. He's on site with Reed and assuring everything runs smoothly. All righty, guys. Let's go ahead and get started. Here comes the first question.

dru says: if jens loosses again,will he be cut

WEC Reed Harris says: Jens will always have a home with Zuffa. He's a great ambassador for the sport.. We love Jens...as a fighter...as a commentator...as a human being. Great guy.

msaavy says: Will the WEC let women fight in their orgainization?

WEC Reed Harris says: We're always looking to put on the fights that fans want to see. If that means adding a women's division, we are absolutey open to it

WEC Reed Harris says: To talk a little bit about Brown-Faber, i think this is going to be explosive. Mike Brown is heading into Sacramento. He wants to prove once and for all that he is the best featherweight in the world

Haulport says: where are the WEC DVDs'??!?!

WEC Reed Harris says: We are working on a DVD deal now. Sit tight on that :) Hopefully before the years out. Great holiday presents

^_^ says: with the success that mizugaki had against torres do you expect more japanese fighters joining the WEC in the future

WEC Reed Harris says: As for the Japanese fighters, we are always looking for the best talent across the world. The thing that has shifted is that we get calls from Japan saying that their fighters want to fight the best in the world. So we are always looking for fighters from all over. Whether it's mizugaki from japan or aldo from brazil, we want the best in the world

vipete says: Dear Reed, first I apologize if someone asked this question previously. But when will the WEC formally implement the 125 division? Also can we expect to see Kid Yamamoto fight for WEC in the future (wishful thinking)

WEC Reed Harris says: Kid....we've talked to him, but hes currently under contract. If that changes, we'd like to have him here. Great fighter and we'd love to see him in the WEC cage

GuidaClayAllDay says: Over the last couple years it seems that the WEC has put most of their shows in Las Vegas and in California locations. Any plans for an event on the East Coast? (maybe Atlantic City?)

WEC Reed Harris says: We are looking to do a show on the east coast soon, possibly late 2009.

Spunky Jim says: When will we see the new Flyweight 125lbs dvision? And what fighters are you looking at signing for it?

WEC Reed Harris says: We have not determined our actual date, but we hope to have the 125ers launched by the end of the year. We have been in talks with a number of the top flyweights in the world and our goal is to launch a division that is equal to our 35 and 45 pound division

sxjohnson says: Mr. Harris, there have been numerous reports lately of a PPV (possibly in Mexico). The Faber-Brown II went ot VS because they wanted it. Can you elaborate on the PPV that we might see by the end of the year?

WEC Reed Harris says: Our goal is to eventually promote a ppv fans want to see. We know that fans want to see compelling fights. Our goal is to put together cards you the fans want to see. Thats always been our objective

Aidan says: How do you rate former WEC fighter Johny Hendricks chances against Amir Sadollah

WEC Reed Harris says: Johnny-Amir....going to be a great fight, johnny has a great chance. He is a world class wrestler and has what it takes to be an awesome fighter

overthere says: Can you tell us about your own jiu jitsu training? what belt do you have, and do you really grapple with some of the wec's fighters?

WEC Reed Harris says: I have always been a fan of the sport, so I love training. I'm a second degree black belt in TaeKwon Do and have done submission wrestling for seven years. I cant get enough of this sport and all of the disciplines involved.

vipete says: Reed, what are your thoughts on Ariel Helwani's recent article about having a WEC PPV in Mexico City?

WEC Reed Harris says: We think Mexico is a great market and we have a great TV partner in Cadena Tres. It is a logical destination for us. It's a great step for expansion and some of our stars, notably Miguel, are HUGE there.

kisujede says: If Torres does decide to hop up to 155 to get to the UFC as has been rumored, are the terms of his contract specific to the WEC (and will he be expected to fulfill them first) or is it some kind of general zuffa contract that will allow an immediate jump?

WEC Reed Harris says: Our 135 division is so deep, Miguel is going to be busy for the next few years. If he wins his next bout, he's going to have three or four challenges waiting in the wings. And for the record, Miguel loves the WEC and its his home.

sxjohnson says: A lot of us are expecting to see a new Manny Gamburyan at 145#. 2-2 in the octagon, what are your thoughts of his fight?

WEC Reed Harris says: We cannot wait for Manny! 145 is his natural fighting weight. We think hes going to do very well. He was a handfull for many lightweights...can u imagine him at featherweight?

Lewie says: If Urijah loses to Brown again, could you see him dropping down to '35?

WEC Reed Harris says: Urijah is so focused on June 7, we haven't discussed anything other than mike brown. This is our biggest fight...ever. Urijah wants his belt back. He wants to win it back in SAC. This is going to be a fight that fans remember for years to come.

larry says: how are sales for wec 41? any chance this could the big record event like the ufc had with Montreal?

WEC Reed Harris says: Sales for the upcoming show are strong. Great tix are still available. We are expecting another full house. But honestly, don't wait to get tix. Every day, sales pick up. Ppl want to see this fight. If you can't be there, check us out on VERSUS

PeteDropick says: What would you suggest to those of us that want to become WEC fighters one day but for now just have to stand on the sidelines and hope?

WEC Reed Harris says: To become a world-class fighter, you have to train hard. That's the bottom line. Find good guys to roll and spar with and constantly push yourself. We look for fighters that have those intangible assets. Heart, grit, determination, and obviously, talent. Thanks Pete!

bigt2099 says: Do you feel the UFC will keep growing with Dana White as the face of the organization? Do you think he needs to tone down his personality?

WEC Reed Harris says: I have known Dana White for 10 years and he has led this company to become the biggest MMA organization in the world. Dana is our leader and Im proud to be associated with him. His passion, his energy for the sport, his work ethic...it's contagious.

overthere says: Besides Faber vs. Brown, what do you think is the best fight at WEC 41? Anyone we should watch out for??

WEC Reed Harris says: Truthfully, this card is stacked. Aldo-Swanson is going to be a lot of fun, and then you have Grispi-Pulver, Cerrone-Krause. Does it get any deeper? LOL. We are excited.

sxjohnson says: You are widely viewed as one of the most accessible, internet savvy GMs of any sports league. Do you feel that helps build the fan base just that much more?

WEC Reed Harris says: We love our fans at the WEC. They are our backbone. Without them, there is no WEC. We understand that. That's why I make myself so accessible. I want to hear what the fans have to say. And hey...follow me on twitter reedharriswec

hank says: Is Jose Aldo in line for a title shot if he beats Cub Swanson? I think he's a potential massive star.

WEC Reed Harris says: We agree that Aldo has that star power. Let's wait to see what happens against Swanson.

Bergofin says: Are there any plans for WEC to leave Versus network in the near future?

WEC Reed Harris says: No, we plan on being partners with VERSUS for a long time. We have a great relationship.

vipete says: Reed, let's say all the stars are aligned and everything is going your way.... what is your dream fight to host at a WEC?

WEC Reed Harris says: It's hard to say which dream match I'd pick. As a promoter, I have to live in reality, haha. I, honestly, dont think about matches like that.

UCFwrestler says: How do you plan to compete with the other big organizations out there like Strikeforce, Dream, etc...?

WEC Reed Harris says: WEC Has the best light weight fighters in the world. We've cemented ourselves as the number two organization. You should ask them how they plan to compete with us.

dru says: not sure if my question went through,is there someone we should look out for,maybe some one we havent heard of just yet.

WEC Reed Harris says: James Krause...he is fighting donald cerrone on June 7. He's 10-0, with one fight going out of the first round. 18-1 as an amateur. 6'2", 155, a real force to look out for

WEC Reed Harris says: WEC WrekCage - new episodes will air in June. New series, some great fights too

Araz says: when is Manny Tapia fighting again? and does WEC plan to keep him?

WEC Reed Harris says: Tapia had a good fight with Tamura in Chicago. We like Manny and are working with his managers right now

kisujede says: Speaking of WEC on Versus, how have ratings been? And how big has the difference been between live ratings and digital recorded viewings (tivo, etc)?

WEC Reed Harris says: Ratings have been strong. We are one of the most watched shows on VERSUS and we're gaining great steam. WEC is blowing up.

UCFwrestler says: Some people might argue that the WEC just picks up the released UFC fighters, whats your feelings on that?

WEC Reed Harris says: Name one that has been cut from the UFC roster? Jens, Manny, these guys all came to 45 because that is their natural weight class. We have three weight classes the UFC doesnt have.

WEC Reed Harris says: 125 - a lot of questions about that division. With the fans support, we think that division will be huge. There are some great fighters at flyweight from across the world....some bantams that will drop too...we're really excited

WEC Reed Harris says: Let me add some thoughts here: I'm seeing a ton of questions about Brown-Faber II. That fight is going to be a lot of fun. Brown trains at ATT and has one of the best right hands in the business. And Faber, what an athlete. This is a CANT MISS fight

stevo says: What are some of the markets the WEC is looking to break into? Any places the WEC has in mind for future shows?

WEC Reed Harris says: Future cities....we are constantly looking for markets to take the WEC. We expect three new markets in 2009...and venues contact us on a weekly basis asking for us to bring events to their towns

whatheheck says: Who do you think will win at ufc 98?

WEC Reed Harris says: Machida-Evans: going to be a big, big fight. And how about the serra-hughes grudge match. I can't predict either fight. It's going to be a lot of fun at 98.

larry says: If Faber beats Brown, do you want to do an immediatele 'trilogy' fight? i think brown vs. faber 3 would be HUGE!

WEC Reed Harris says: Let's see how Brown-Faber II plays out first.

Host Dann Stupp says: Mr. Harris will be with us just a few minutes more. We'll get a few more questions in before he has to get back to work. :)

DG7682 says: When will be see Jaime Varner fight Cerrone again?

WEC Reed Harris says: Cerrone has a big fight with Krause first. He cannot overlook James. If he wins, we'd like to see him fight Varner again. But again, I can't say this enough, Krause cannot be overlooked.

Host Dann Stupp says: Thanks everyone. Here some our final question.

overthere says: We need what they're like in the cage. But what are Faber and Mike Brown like in real life?

WEC Reed Harris says: One of the best things about being involved in this sport is getting to know the fighters the way I do. Both guys are excellent fighters, but better human beings. They are a credit to the sport and WEC is grateful to have Brown and Faber.

WEC Reed Harris says: I really appreciate the participation today. You fans are the best! At the end of the day, it's about you! Check us out on June 7 and I look forward to doing this again. Special thanks to MMA Junkie - George and Dann. Two classy guys who love MMA!