Author Topic: When should Abs fall into a workout?  (Read 1451 times)

Idavoll

• Getbig I
  • SUAL
When should Abs fall into a workout?
« on: May 19, 2009, 12:42:57 AM »
Been following a decent workout routine for years now ( mixing it up as I go) but I've never really touched upon abs and have always received weird looks from the few guys I train with from time to time when I say I don't train em.

What I would like to know, is what effects can Ab training have in the overall scope of things. I'm not interested in appearance but gains. Does strengthening the core improve gains in other lifts?

Also where should ab training fall into a work out? Is it ok to add them anywhere or just give em there own day?

calfzilla

• Getbig V
  • YUMAN FILTH!
Re: When should Abs fall into a workout?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2009, 12:46:27 AM »
I do them on back day. 

Meso_z

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2009, 06:55:15 AM »
I do them on back day. 

me too.

once a week when im offseason...

come contest time, 2 times a week.

In the end of a workout always

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2009, 08:19:37 AM »
As suggested by Calfzilla & Meso-z, after the back is a good time. Because the ab wall is a counter balance for the lower and upper back. The ratio of strength should be on par with the back. In that case might treat the ab's as any other muscle group, like BB'ing rep's of 8 to 12 for example. Or even 3 to 5 reps. All with added weight of course. The ab wall is a powerful unit when trained that way.

With that core (really do not like using that over worked word) strength of ab's and lower back, the squat, DL, all push/pull movement/overhead lifts should improve very well. Good Luck.
F

Idavoll

• Getbig I
  • SUAL
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2009, 02:00:26 PM »
Thanks for all your input. Well add em to back day ( which is today by chance )

buffbong

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2009, 07:47:33 AM »
I like to train the abs in the morning so i can give them more attention. Also it does not tack on extra time to my training sessions.

leonp1981

• Getbig IV
  • mmmmm....
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2009, 06:25:13 AM »
I do them twice a week, after leg and back workouts.  One day is just using bodyweight doing 20-25 reps, the other day is using resistance for 6-10 reps.

Redwingenator

• Getbig II
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2009, 01:01:42 PM »
I do them with arms as a circuit.  triceps, biceps, abs.. rinse and repeat.

dashriprock

• Getbig I
  • Getbig!
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2009, 07:57:39 PM »
lately i have been doing them on a sunday arvo as part of a core stablise/ cardio circuit. as i sit at a desk all week i have been concentrating on posture/stretching etc. found it gets all the kinks out so i can concentrate on the weights during the week. doing alot of MMA style fitball, pilates style. crunches bore me to death... to each there own i guess. good luck ;)