Author Topic: Powell: 'I am still a Republican'  (Read 4857 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Powell: 'I am still a Republican'
« on: May 24, 2009, 11:48:17 AM »
Is he? 

Powell: 'I am still a Republican'
From CNN's Steve Brusk

WASHINGTON (CNN) – Former Secretary of State Colin Powell struck back Sunday at critics of his decision to support Barack Obama's presidential candidacy last year.

Calling for his divided party to widen its ranks, Powell declared, "I am still a Republican."

In an appearance on CBS' Face the Nation, Powell responded to attacks from former Vice President Dick Cheney and talk show host Rush Limbaugh, saying they are "not members of the membership committee of the Republican Party."

"Rush will not get his wish, and Mr. Cheney was misinformed. I am still a Republican", he said. "I would like to point out that in the course of my 50 years of voting for presidents, I have voted for the person I thought was best qualified at that time to lead the nation. Last year, I thought it was President Barack Obama. For the previous 20 years, I voted solidly for Republican candidates."

Earlier this month on the same program, Cheney was asked about a dispute between Limbaugh and Powell over the role each plays in the GOP. "My take on it was Colin had already left the party. I didn't know he was still a Republican," Cheney responded.

Powell said Sunday that he didn't want to trade insults with Limbaugh, but that he thought it was "unfortunate" Limbaugh framed his support of Obama along racial lines.

Limbaugh, on his radio program, argued that Powell supported Obama "solely based on race."

Discussing divisions over the direction of the party in the wake of its losses in the 2006 midterm elections and 2008 presidential election, Powell said Sunday the party should expand its base.

"I have always felt that the Republican Party should be more inclusive than it generally has been over the years and I believe that we need a strong Republican Party that is not just anchored in the base but has built on the base to include more individuals. And if we don't do that, if we don't reach out more, the party is going to be sitting on a very, very narrow base," he told "Face the Nation."

Powell added, "Let's debate the future of the party and let all segments in… What we have to do is debate and define who we are and what we are, and not just listen to dictates that come down from the right wing of the party."

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2009/05/24/powell-i-am-still-a-republican/

Mr. Magoo

• Getbig V
  • THE most mistaken identity on getbig
Re: Powell: 'I am still a Republican'
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2009, 11:50:04 AM »
I don't think half of the republicans know what the republican party stands for. This is why theres so many conflicts and bickering back and forth. When I think of what is a republican, I think Ron Paul.

the_steevo_uk

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2009, 01:07:50 PM »
Republican party is stretched over so many bases i think its pretty much impossible to continue in its current guise, whether that means creation of a third party for the moderate right wing, or a defection of more arlen specters i think we've yet to see.

But I cant see how the rich episcopalian wasps in the North East can be in league with a bunch of Evangelical working class folks from down south, the difference on social issues is too great for them to keep together just based on low tax rates and laissez faire economy.

Personally I think a centre right party would be a great idea, since its probably reflective of most people's points of view, and stops this polarisation between an ever right moving republican party and an ever left moving democrat party

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2009, 02:27:38 PM »
Conservatives  = vote ron paul flavor of republican

neoconservatives = vote for the bush flavor of republican

Busted

• Getbig IV
  • PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM MOWER
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2009, 04:15:20 PM »
Anyone can be a republican... all you gotta do is say "im a republican" so who ever argues hes not, its a IDIOT. Next Case.

Mr. Magoo

• Getbig V
  • THE most mistaken identity on getbig
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2009, 06:16:55 PM »
Conservatives  = vote ron paul flavor of republican

neoconservatives = vote for the bush flavor of republican

Good to be a conservative.

SAMSON123

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2009, 06:44:00 PM »
He is still a FOOL also... someone put Powell in a nursing home...
C

George Whorewell

• Getbig V
  • TND
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2009, 07:46:17 PM »
Busted= A braindead waste of space that should have been swallowed by his dog of a mother.  :'(

NEXT CASE!

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2009, 08:23:20 PM »
Is he? 

Do you say he is not?  Please list your reasons...

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2009, 08:46:10 PM »
Republican party is stretched over so many bases i think its pretty much impossible to continue in its current guise, whether that means creation of a third party for the moderate right wing, or a defection of more arlen specters i think we've yet to see.

But I cant see how the rich episcopalian wasps in the North East can be in league with a bunch of Evangelical working class folks from down south, the difference on social issues is too great for them to keep together just based on low tax rates and laissez faire economy.

Personally I think a centre right party would be a great idea, since its probably reflective of most people's points of view, and stops this polarisation between an ever right moving republican party and an ever left moving democrat party

I somewhat agree with you here, ...but I disagree with your assessment that the democrats are moving more to the left. I think quite the opposite has occured. I think the democrats along with the republicans have moved to the right. It is this rightward motion of the dems imo, that has allowed many republicans to throw their support to Obama. I think that the republicans have moved sooo far to the right that they've alienated many within their own party, and with such extreme right wing policies over the past 8 years, any approach by the democrats will appear a move to the left.
w

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2009, 08:55:52 PM »
Do you say he is not?  Please list your reasons...

I don't know.  Starting to have my doubts.  Doesn't change my opinion of him.  But I will say that if he's going to start doing nothing but throw darts at his party then he should leave and become a Democrat or an independent. 

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2009, 09:53:21 PM »
I don't know.  Starting to have my doubts.  Doesn't change my opinion of him.  But I will say that if he's going to start doing nothing but throw darts at his party then he should leave and become a Democrat or an independent. 
according to most accounts the party is in disarray. Is it not expected at this time for differeing voices to be heard in the party? Ron Paul refused to leave the party even though he has  disagreed with the direction for a long time.  He constantly launches criticism not only at everything going on but also within his party.  Perhaps these men are just trying to affect changes they see as critically needed.  I also don't remember anybody saying Chuck Hagel was no longer a republican and for several years he bucked what was happening in the party all the way to the president.  Perhaps Powell is getting different treatment for failing to support McCain?  Perhaps Rush is the leader in that he's been the leading voice denouncing Powell :D

shootfighter1

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Competitor- NABBA Nationals Overall Champ
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2009, 06:38:21 AM »
I was with Powell until he said "Americans do want to pay more taxes for more services".  That is as democratic as you can get.  He cannot be a real republican if he believes this.  It is a core democratic principle.

There is no doubt that the middle of the democratic party has moved left.  The fringe is always further left, but in general, the working class democrats of the 50s-80s (the majority of the party) would be moderates compared to the Barack/Pelosi/Reid democrats of today.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2009, 06:49:32 AM »
I was with Powell until he said "Americans do want to pay more taxes for more services".  That is as democratic as you can get.  He cannot be a real republican if he believes this.  It is a core democratic principle.

There is no doubt that the middle of the democratic party has moved left.  The fringe is always further left, but in general, the working class democrats of the 50s-80s (the majority of the party) would be moderates compared to the Barack/Pelosi/Reid democrats of today.

wasn't it something like 46%/46% last year in a poll asking if you want the govt to do more or less?

Americans are split pretty evenly, unfortunately. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2009, 11:03:43 PM »
according to most accounts the party is in disarray. Is it not expected at this time for differeing voices to be heard in the party? Ron Paul refused to leave the party even though he has  disagreed with the direction for a long time.  He constantly launches criticism not only at everything going on but also within his party.  Perhaps these men are just trying to affect changes they see as critically needed.  I also don't remember anybody saying Chuck Hagel was no longer a republican and for several years he bucked what was happening in the party all the way to the president.  Perhaps Powell is getting different treatment for failing to support McCain?  Perhaps Rush is the leader in that he's been the leading voice denouncing Powell :D

Both parties are in disarray. 

I don't know what Powell's motivation is, but supporting a Democrat for president, followed by public criticism of the party doesn't sound very good.  If his goal is to make changes, he should work with party leaders. 

Paul had the same problem.

BM OUT

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2009, 06:59:03 AM »
Anyone can be a republican... all you gotta do is say "im a republican" so who ever argues hes not, its a IDIOT. Next Case.

ok,then Im a democrat.Im against abortion,affirmative action,want less government,lower taxes,hate Obama,dont like queers,like states rights,think judges should follow the constitution,want to end ALL welfare oif ALL kind,want to see unions get destroyed,and I vote republican.Those are a few of my beliefs,but Im a democrat.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2009, 09:10:01 AM »
Both parties are in disarray. 

I don't know what Powell's motivation is, but supporting a Democrat for president, followed by public criticism of the party doesn't sound very good.  If his goal is to make changes, he should work with party leaders. 

Paul had the same problem.

The Dems are hardly in dissarray

Powell explained on Meet the Press exactly why he picked Obama - no mystery

Unlike the Repubs who seem to operate with a  hive mind and gang-like mentality there is no conflict with voting for a Dem and also criticizing the party or individual members.

Heck, I think Harry Reid is a completely useless tool and I'd like to see him gone in the next election

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
  • Dumb people think Trump is smart.
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2009, 09:36:25 AM »
Powell represents the future of the GOP.  So does Crist.  Without them, there is no future for the GOP.

Because without Repubs like them, there is no appeal to the moderates and independents.  But hey...  go ahead and revert back to a shrinking base with a minority that is only dying out over time anyway.   ;D

BM OUT

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2009, 10:20:40 AM »
Powell represents the future of the GOP.  So does Crist.  Without them, there is no future for the GOP.

Because without Repubs like them, there is no appeal to the moderates and independents.  But hey...  go ahead and revert back to a shrinking base with a minority that is only dying out over time anyway.   ;D

McCain and Crist agree on almost EVERY issue.how did that work out?Powell and McCain agree on almost every issue.How did that work out.They are the death of the party.Evertime that philosophy runs,it looses.

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2009, 10:24:51 AM »
Palin was the death of McCain.  That's how he worked out. 

McCain, Crist and Powell could draw more voters than Cheney, Rush or Palin. 

shootfighter1

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Competitor- NABBA Nationals Overall Champ
« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2009, 10:30:16 AM »
I like Powell, I just don't understand the "Americans are ok with more taxes for services comment".  That is not conservative or republican.  Most true conservatives, like Ron Paul, believe there's too much overall taxation and too much waste in government.  One of the problems the repubs have/had is that they had a big government republican in office the last 8 yrs.

240, I saw a similar poll that favored people wanting less government but by a relatively small margin.  Interesting that way more than half of people polled consider themselves democrat. 
Repubs need a wider umbrella and need to focus on smaller gov.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2009, 10:44:34 AM »
 Republicans who come across as moderates don't do so well in presidential elections, like Dole and McCain.  Republicans who run as conservatives on fiscal and social issues win, like Reagan, Bush Sr., and Dubya. 

I'd vote for Colin Powell if he ran tomorrow, but the contention that conservatives need to be moderates to win is inconsistent with history.

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2009, 10:48:16 AM »
If that is the case, why did no right wing conservative do well in the primaries?  That was voting from within the own party and it was pretty much establised the majority of the party isn't down with conservative outlook anymore.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2009, 10:58:13 AM »
If that is the case, why did no right wing conservative do well in the primaries?  That was voting from within the own party and it was pretty much establised the majority of the party isn't down with conservative outlook anymore.

Bad candidates.  What you should be asking is why fiscal and social liberals consistently lose presidential elections to fiscal and social conservatives.  Those are the historical facts.   

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2009, 11:01:21 AM »
Bad candidates.  What you should be asking is why fiscal and social liberals consistently lose presidential elections to fiscal and social conservatives.  Those are the historical facts.   

I thought Obama was supposed to be the most liberal Senator according to some conservative think tank (or something similar)