Author Topic: Announcers....  (Read 6129 times)

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
Announcers....
« on: May 28, 2009, 08:52:43 AM »
Favorites?
I'm talking more about regional guys that some of us might not know about.  I know Solie is head and shoulders above everybody, but one guy I NEVER see mentioned is Bob Caudle from the mid-atlantic.  Going back on the youtube vids, he was pretty decent.  This was the days before the "Goooood Laaaarrds !!! " of good ole JR and an announcer called the matches much like a play-by-play guy in other sports.

Playboy

• Getbig V
  • If the bar ain't bending, you're just pretending
Re: Announcers....
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2009, 10:37:02 AM »
Favorites?
I'm talking more about regional guys that some of us might not know about.  I know Solie is head and shoulders above everybody, but one guy I NEVER see mentioned is Bob Caudle from the mid-atlantic.  Going back on the youtube vids, he was pretty decent.  This was the days before the "Goooood Laaaarrds !!! " of good ole JR and an announcer called the matches much like a play-by-play guy in other sports.

Jesse Ventura took the cake with the one liners.

Also gorilla monsoon & bobby heenan together wre great.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2009, 09:26:17 AM »
Bobby worked great with everyone. I truly think Jess and the Gorilla worked the best together. Vince and Mr. P were great as well. I don't understand how everyone always comments on JR being the best of the best? Best "bright side of things" announcer was easily The Gorilla. Cannot compare The Brain to Jess but these their both genius. How many times has King and JR made you seriously laugh? Besides that toss Larry the Living Legend. I think the King is the worst announcer ever. He says the stoopidest things constantly with that feminine high pitched voice.
i'll never forget in 1993 when shawn had just started his heartbreak kid gimmick and Perfect says, "look at him McMahon, Madonna...eat your heart out".

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2009, 09:41:34 AM »
I agree with you guys that think JR is over-rated....he was decent a long, long time ago, but has been awful for the last decade.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2009, 10:50:39 AM »
I agree with you guys that think JR is over-rated....he was decent a long, long time ago, but has been awful for the last decade.
I honestly don't mind JR. You also have to remember that Vince doen't want his announcers calling play by play and wants them to soley focus on the storylines only. He is constantly yelling in their ear pieces and telling them what to say so its a catch 22.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2009, 12:42:32 PM »
I never ever thought of that. But then anyone can do it then? Why the King? There cannot be one person in the World that enjoys this guy?
I hear you. The King is also grossly overpaid.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2009, 12:54:37 PM »
I honestly don't mind JR. You also have to remember that Vince doen't want his announcers calling play by play and wants them to soley focus on the storylines only. He is constantly yelling in their ear pieces and telling them what to say so its a catch 22.

I really can't stand his hyperbole and "GOOD LAAAARRRRDDDSSSS !!!!!"  I'm sure Vince wants it that way, but since JR has a lot of input, I'll blame them equally.  8)

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2009, 01:27:52 PM »
I really can't stand his hyperbole and "GOOD LAAAARRRRDDDSSSS !!!!!"  I'm sure Vince wants it that way, but since JR has a lot of input, I'll blame them equally.  8)
Can't be any worse than Joey Styles' "Oh my God!"

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2009, 01:43:16 PM »
Can't be any worse than Joey Styles' "Oh my God!"

haha, put them in the same boat.

I am so thankful that Solie wasn't around during this era to have to lower himself to their garbage "commentary."

Andy Griffin

• Getbig V
  • I know my own name, bitch.
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2009, 04:14:02 PM »
Favorites?

I loved Bob Caudle.  He was also a weatherman on a Raleigh TV station and worked in Senator Jesse Helms' office for many years.  Tony Schiavone (sp) was good too.  I remember way back on Mid Atlantic Wrestling (1 pm Sat) and World Wide Wrestling (11:15 pm Sat), Tony would announce upcoming shows and try his best not to look too long at the cue cards. 

Jim Crockett would sometimes announce along with Bob but Jim was always a second too late, or else at a loss for words.  Bob had to carry his ass through the broadcast.

In the words of Bob Caudle...  "So long, wrestling fans!"
~

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2009, 09:07:36 PM »
Heenan and Monsoon worked well together on Prime Time Wrestling. They had phenomenal timing and chemistry.

The complete opposite would have to be Mark Madden, who replaced Heenan on WCW Nitro. I never rated him as an announcer.
I don’t know if he’d been told to say this or what, but one night he was calling a Rick Steiner match. This was during a time in which Rick was having some differences with management and being difficult. Anyway, he wasn’t giving his opponent anything in the ring. Madden made the comment, “Look at Steiner. He’s not selling any of those shots.”

I don’t care if everyone watching does know it’s a work. When you’re one of the performers and the cameras are rolling, you maintain Kayfabe. It’s called upholding the suspension of disbelief for the enjoyment of the show.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2009, 09:10:27 PM »
While on the topic of announcers and Kayfabe...

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2009, 10:04:11 PM »
Not nearly as interesting as John and Kate +8......... ;D
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2009, 04:29:14 AM »

Hey!
Do I come on your board and start shit?

Your mod powers are meaningless here, jabroni.
 :D

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2009, 04:32:07 AM »

A quick scan of responses has indicated that you are a passive follower of the girly board, but a follower nonetheless.

Come over to the darkside, my son.
 :)

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2009, 08:30:27 AM »
I loved Bob Caudle.  He was also a weatherman on a Raleigh TV station and worked in Senator Jesse Helms' office for many years.  Tony Schiavone (sp) was good too.  I remember way back on Mid Atlantic Wrestling (1 pm Sat) and World Wide Wrestling (11:15 pm Sat), Tony would announce upcoming shows and try his best not to look too long at the cue cards. 

Jim Crockett would sometimes announce along with Bob but Jim was always a second too late, or else at a loss for words.  Bob had to carry his ass through the broadcast.

In the words of Bob Caudle...  "So long, wrestling fans!"

Andy, I swear we are "twin brothers from different mothers" as Cornette used to say.  I remember all of that, and I agree on Shiavone too.  He is remembered for the WCW and "that'll put asses in the seats" comment, but at one time he was an excellent announcer.  Remember when poor David Crockett was announcing...it was like the world's biggest mark talking to his TV....so bad that sometimes it was entertaining.

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2009, 09:37:21 AM »
Hey!
Do I come on your board and start shit?

Your mod powers are meaningless here, jabroni.
 :D

Don't make me whoop that Rudy-poo candy-ass of yours! >:(

I am an approved poster of the girly board. ;)

And I have always liked JR's announcing, Bobby Heenan, Jesse Ventura....lot's of good announcers over the years.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2009, 10:34:12 AM »
I liked announcer Vince.

Baaaaaaack body drop
What a maneuver
unbeeeeeelievable

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2009, 04:13:05 PM »
I liked announcer Vince.

Baaaaaaack body drop
What a maneuver
unbeeeeeelievable

ANYTHING can happen in the World Wrestling Federation.
 ;)

Andy Griffin

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2009, 04:55:09 PM »
Andy, I swear we are "twin brothers from different mothers" as Cornette used to say.  I remember all of that, and I agree on Shiavone too.  He is remembered for the WCW and "that'll put asses in the seats" comment, but at one time he was an excellent announcer.  Remember when poor David Crockett was announcing...it was like the world's biggest mark talking to his TV....so bad that sometimes it was entertaining.

Very strong possibility...if I remember correctly, you are from NC but live in VA now, right?  Because I remember laughing about being the opposite (born in VA but live in NC). 

~

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2009, 06:35:41 PM »
VKM called the shots for how many years? The guy was great! Wish he'd get back announcing for a Mania or something. He and Mr. P were great. Also Savage and Hot Rod. Besides Jess, Gorilla, and the Brain. VKM was really close to being the best ever. The MSG channel shows old matches from the Garden. Saw one the other night between George The Animal and Peter Miavia. Vince was calling the shots with the Brain. There was barely any wrestling. Just the animal playing the crowd. The announcing was really spectacular.

Vince was good - always sounded like he had a megaphone implanted in his larynx.
I remember for a period of a year or two (I think around WMX) one of his favorite phrases was -
“Anything can happen in the World Wrestling Federation.”

I think he used it an average of once in every match.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2009, 04:04:22 AM »
VKM called the shots for how many years? The guy was great! Wish he'd get back announcing for a Mania or something. He and Mr. P were great. Also Savage and Hot Rod. Besides Jess, Gorilla, and the Brain. VKM was really close to being the best ever. The MSG channel shows old matches from the Garden. Saw one the other night between George The Animal and Peter Miavia. Vince was calling the shots with the Brain. There was barely any wrestling. Just the animal playing the crowd. The announcing was really spectacular.
Vince and Jesse Ventura were a great combo together. I loved saturday nights main event when they announced. It was priceless.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2009, 07:34:41 AM »
Very strong possibility...if I remember correctly, you are from NC but live in VA now, right?  Because I remember laughing about being the opposite (born in VA but live in NC). 

I live in NC also.  Born and raised, although I don't live near where I grew up.

Andy Griffin

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2009, 12:53:35 PM »
I live in NC also.  Born and raised, although I don't live near where I grew up.

Oh, okay.  For some reason I was thinking you were near Martinsville, VA

Glad to be a Tar Heel
~

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2009, 08:29:49 AM »
gorilla,,,its a miscarriage of justice,"lou albano"he's the walking advertisment for birth control.cm'on ref gimme a break.and then ventura would say GORILLA i can't believe what i'm seeing.or gorilla other favorite was backlund with a suplex and a "beauty " when it was executed.