Author Topic: Now that its proven boxers are superior to MMA guys will MMA die a death?  (Read 6289 times)

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
second tier boxers make more money than the top MMA fighters.

I wasn't even saying second tier talent wise, but in their ability to draw money.

Trust me if Vladimir Klitchsko could come to MMA and knock-out Lesnar, Mir, and Congo in fast spectacular fashion like those G&O morons seem to think....he would make significantly more money than he is currently doing (not even HBO is picking up his fight this Saturday!!!)

This was my point.

MB_722

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith
I thought that fight was canceled?? ... nvm, shame hbo isn't broadcasting it.

klitschko's used to do kickboxing

big L dawg

• Getbig V
  • i always tell the truth even when i lie...
I wasn't even saying second tier talent wise, but in their ability to draw money.

Trust me if Vladimir Klitchsko could come to MMA and knock-out Lesnar, Mir, and Congo in fast spectacular fashion like those G&O morons seem to think....he would make significantly more money than he is currently doing (not even HBO is picking up his fight this Saturday!!!)

This was my point.

well your point is wrong.theres not an MMA fighter out there that makes over a million $ per fight.Klitchsko's average pay day per fight over his career is between 4-5 million per fight.do your research and you will see your logic is flawed.
DAWG

MindSpin

• Getbig V
  • MMA > Boxing
well your point is wrong.theres not an MMA fighter out there that makes over a million $ per fight.Klitchsko's average pay day per fight over his career is between 4-5 million per fight.do your research and you will see your logic is flawed.

Actually, you're wrong.  Several fighters have exceeded $1 million when you factor in PPV $$.  Arlovski got $1.5 against Fedor.  Had he won, it would have been close to $2 million  That said, top boxers are making more than the top MMA guys.  But, that's slowly changing.  Boxers are making less and less.  MMA fighters are making more and more.
w

Pecs

• Getbig IV
A 48 year old Ray Mercer KOs one of the greatest UFC HW champs of all time in 9 secs....boxers rule. Peak tyson v peak fedor no holds barred? Tyson in 5 seconds,,,easy

stop exaggerating.... tim sliva one of the greatest???? Come on......... royce gracie schooled a boxer in UFC 1 and Kimbo whipped mercer.
I love both sports... but they are very different

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
stop exaggerating.... tim sliva one of the greatest???? Come on......... royce gracie schooled a boxer in UFC 1 and Kimbo whipped mercer.
I love both sports... but they are very different

haha!

Yeah I remember that boxer came into the cage with only one glove on.  :)

big L dawg

• Getbig V
Actually, you're wrong.  Several fighters have exceeded $1 million when you factor in PPV $$.  Arlovski got $1.5 against Fedor.  Had he won, it would have been close to $2 million  That said, top boxers are making more than the top MMA guys.  But, that's slowly changing.  Boxers are making less and less.  MMA fighters are making more and more.

read my post Average payday per fight.yea Arvloski got 1.5 for that don't mean his average payday is over a million that is the rare exception.And is still chump change to a comperable boxer.the Tyson's,holyfields,de la hoya's have all made more in one fight than any MMA fighter has made in there intire career.that being said.....yea MMA fighter are starting to make a little more $.However I believe the fighters need to have a union or they will never actually make what there worth.And Dana & company will always be screwing over fighters.
DAWG

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
read my post Average payday per fight.yea Arvloski got 1.5 for that don't mean his average payday is over a million that is the rare exception.And is still chump change to a comperable boxer.the Tyson's,holyfields,de la hoya's have all made more in one fight than any MMA fighter has made in there intire career.that being said.....yea MMA fighter are starting to make a little more $.However I believe the fighters need to have a union or they will never actually make what there worth.And Dana & company will always be screwing over fighters.

You need to re-read my above post.

I am not talking about the Creme de la Creme PPV earners,which I made clear, and which you conveniently overlook.

The claim made when this thread was in the G&O was that any decent pro boxer would come into MMA and knockout everyone's asses within seconds. Ray Mercer was never even considered a top tier boxer and they used HIM as an example!!

If this were the case, you would see MANY more boxers coming to MMA for easy money, 20 second fights rather than 12 rounds of getting punched in the face hundreds of times.

big L dawg

• Getbig V
You need to re-read my above post.

I am not talking about the Creme de la Creme PPV earners,which I made clear, and which you conveniently overlook.

The claim made when this thread was in the G&O was that any decent pro boxer would come into MMA and knockout everyone's asses within seconds. Ray Mercer was never even considered a top tier boxer and they used HIM as an example!!

If this were the case, you would see MANY more boxers coming to MMA for easy money, 20 second fights rather than 12 rounds of getting punched in the face hundreds of times.

I didn't overlook your post.I referred to second tier fighters(Talent wise or Money draw wise).like I said try doing your homework and actually look up some paydays.an (AVERAGE) boxer brings in more $ then the Creme de la creme MMA fighter does.....and besides by your logic why can't it go the other way around and MMA guys go into boxing for some big paydays...I'll tell you why 99% of them would be KO'd within 3 Rd's.
DAWG

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
I didn't overlook your post.I referred to second tier fighters(Talent wise or Money draw wise).like I said try doing your homework and actually look up some paydays.an (AVERAGE) boxer brings in more $ then the Creme de la creme MMA fighter does.....and besides by your logic why can't it go the other way around and MMA guys go into boxing for some big paydays...I'll tell you why 99% of them would be KO'd within 3 Rd's.

Money is just is not in it in boxing like it was, except for a very select few. Mayweather had to back out of his fight with Marquez because the sales were slow(I believe the back injury claim is totall bullsh*t). If a boxer came in and was kayoing MMA fighters left and right like the G&O posters were saying they would make more money in MMA....except for maybe Manny Pacquiao and 7 or 8 other boxers who make a killing in boxing.

This is the best way I can sum it up. We can either agree, or agree to disagree....and probably the latter.

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
I'll tell you why 99% of them would be KO'd within 3 Rd's.

Agreed, btw....  :)

Boxing > MMA, IMO.

CARTEL

• Getbig V
  • Have a good time, all the time.
Why argue this point?

Boxing is still great it just doesn't have a good HW division kinda like the UFC's heavyweights.

A true fight fan could appreciate both.

americanbulldog

• Getbig IV
If there are no rules, MMA still wins.  All boxers know how to do is box.  A well rounded MMA guy understands boxing, wrestling, BJJ, Mui Thai and with guys like Machida, how to work angles and avoid damage.  This is a stupid argument...

A nicely executed Osoto Gari, or Uchimata on the street would be deadly.  Getting doubled by Brock and driven through the concrete aint fun either.  Take the skillset of an elite MMA fighter, put them in a street fighting scenario and you have bad news for the opposition.  Being in a dominant position raining down strikes where your head has no where to go.......

local hero

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • mma finance warrior of peace
If there are no rules, MMA still wins.  All boxers know how to do is box.  A well rounded MMA guy understands boxing, wrestling, BJJ, Mui Thai and with guys like Machida, how to work angles and avoid damage.  This is a stupid argument...

no its not, and tell that to the guys tyson knocked out in prison... your missing my point, the guys ive mentioned, arent boxers, there fighters and there is a difference....   

SinCitysmallGUY

• Getbig V
  • FIST-ta-CUFF Radio
no its not, and tell that to the guys tyson knocked out in prison... your missing my point, the guys ive mentioned, arent boxers, there fighters and there is a difference....   

This topic always brings in Tyson and in my opinion a guy like Lennox Lewis would be much more deadly with his heights, size, and pure technique. Boxers are great but a Muay Thai guy vs. a boxer, my money is on the guy who uses elbows, knees, fists, feet, hands, headbutts,etc! Boxing you bunch mitts, other guys, and bags. Muah Thai you kick trees, Tree vs Bag, I take guy who breaks tree!

Journeyman

• Getbig II
  • BIGGER STRONGER FASTER!

boxers Getting paid 10-20 million per fight thats a huge gap for mma to make up still quite a ways off!!!
Journeyman

Pecs

• Getbig IV
boxers Getting paid 10-20 million per fight thats a huge gap for mma to make up still quite a ways off!!!

not many boxers earn more than 5 million a match.
The boxer who is boxing mayweather in sept (mayweather "injured") gets less than 5 million from what i read....

polychronopolous

• Getbig V

to say "boxers" is totally misleading!!!

You are talking about an EXTREMELY small group of people....and those aren't necessarily even the most talented boxers.

Take de la Hoya for example; the dudes been washed up for years yet he could always get big PPV draws because of his popularity.

Meanwhile a guy like Paul Williams would destroy Oscar and only can only make a fraction of the money fighting someone else.

Pecs

• Getbig IV
SInce you guys mention about silva losing to mercer meaning a thing, have a look at this clip. An LIGHTWEIGHT MMA champ vs a SUPERHEAVY WEIGHT boxing champ....

In mma, the fighters must worry about take downs, kicks, elbows, knees, punches, subs etc. Their stance and defences will surely not be as "SWEET SCIENCE LIKE" compared to boxers as they worry more than just the body and the head.

Boxing is part of MMA. And yes, one punch can end a fight, boxing or MMA. But there are the take downs, knees, subs, ground and pound.. etc. which is major in any fight.
By the way, do you know how much heavier butterbean is than Geki????

CARTEL

• Getbig V
  • Have a good time, all the time.
SInce you guys mention about silva losing to mercer meaning a thing, have a look at this clip. An LIGHTWEIGHT MMA champ vs a SUPERHEAVY WEIGHT boxing champ....

In mma, the fighters must worry about take downs, kicks, elbows, knees, punches, subs etc. Their stance and defences will surely not be as "SWEET SCIENCE LIKE" compared to boxers as they worry more than just the body and the head.

Boxing is part of MMA. And yes, one punch can end a fight, boxing or MMA. But there are the take downs, knees, subs, ground and pound.. etc. which is major in any fight.
By the way, do you know how much heavier butterbean is than Geki????

Yeah. Butterbean getting owned does not help this argument one way or the other.

mame09

• Getbig III
  • its simple if it jiggles its fat
1.mma fighters will never ever ever make anything close to boxing. unless you see lots of black mma fighters like there is alot of black and mexican boxers. this is fact 

2. in a street fight it depends who you make the fight between. put any heavyweight mma fighter against tyson or george foreman and they would get not only mauled but they will need face reconstruction.

i am a fighting fan first i dont care about what martial arts you do but when it comes down to it who do you honestly think is going to win a liddell or randy or foreman or tyson. 

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
1.mma fighters will never ever ever make anything close to boxing. 

it's not black and white like that, dumbass

There's a lot of MMA fighters who earn more per fight than boxers.

Journeyman

• Getbig II
  • BIGGER STRONGER FASTER!
not many boxers earn more than 5 million a match.
The boxer who is boxing mayweather in sept (mayweather "injured") gets less than 5 million from what i read....

my point! Still quite a bit more than the top mma guy!
Journeyman

gracie bjj

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
this thread is still around ???
R

Pecs

• Getbig IV
MMA vs boxing... never gets stale....... this topic is dicussed to death in boxing forums
They discuss every single thing there is between these two sports, winning a fight, money (boxing wins) etc...... up to the type of Fans the sport has. Hardcore Boxing Fans always say that MMA fans are all rednecks wearing tapouts... blah blah blah