Author Topic: The Pats and Tom Brady  (Read 2569 times)

Doug_Steele

• Getbig V
  • I'm totally Brolic, bro!
The Pats and Tom Brady
« on: June 22, 2009, 09:58:43 AM »
Tom Brady is back under center in New England, even if his only action to date since blowing his knee out last opening day has come in non-contact OTAs and veteran minicamp.

That in and of itself -- Brady retaking the field with Randy Moss and Wes Welker -- is probably enough to cue up the comparisons between the potential the New England offense has in 2009 and what the unit produced back in 2007 when the dynamic trio last haunted opposing defenses.

That '07 incarnation of New England's aerial-based attack rewrote the record books. Brady became the first quarterback ever to toss 50 touchdown passes. Moss galloped past Jerry Rice's record with 23 touchdown receptions. The Patriots put up an NFL record 589 points on the way to the league's first 16-0 regular season.

It's a tall resume to try to live up to, even with a healthy and reunited Brady, Moss and Welker. But the trio isn't the only reason some are wondering if this Patriots' offense could be even better.

New England has added former Pro Bowl running back Fred Taylor, aging but still very speedy wide receiver Joey Galloway and experienced tight ends Chris Baker and Alex Smith. The former two bring additional big-play ability to the group while the latter pair adds both depth and insurance to a tight end spot that's been oft-injured and has underachieved in recent years.

Better at running back. Better at wide receiver. Solid at tight end. And Brady is back under center behind an offensive line that returns all five starters and key backups. All the pieces certainly seem to be in place for a show of firepower, even while acknowledging the loss of quarterbacks coach/offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels who is now running his own show in Denver. After all, McDaniels himself was an ill-prepared replacement for Charlie Weis at one point.

But Bill Belichick would never allow his players to look ahead to records -- not in the summer, not during the season, not ever. As such his offensive leader and captain isn't fueling the hype that's already building steam nearly three months before the team takes the field against the Bills in the Monday night opener.

"There's a lot of work that we need to do to get on the same page," Brady said of the group's potential. "I know the kind of effort we put in in 2007 and we need to match that, and in 2008 as well -- we worked hard that offseason. It didn't work out for us in the end, but I think this year is another bit of excitement, it's a new challenge and that's why we are out here practicing. I don't think you overlook anything out here. Every rep we are trying to complete is for a reason. There are signals (to learn). We're walking through the two-minute drill today. We're trying to all get on the same page and that's going to carry over into training camp and training camp carries over to the season. We have a lot of tough opponents this year. We have a challenging schedule and we are going to need the work that we have. I think the new guys -- they are a bit overwhelmed with the offense and the terminology and the speed of how I'm spitting things out in the huddle and how I'm changing things at the line. We are all trying to get used to that."

But not all players are ignoring the possibilities, or at least those that are being tossed around at this point by fans and the media.

"It's hard to get a sense now, but it is exciting," left tackle Matt Light said. "I mean we went to the (Patriots Charitable Foundation) Golf Tournament and a lot of the sponsors had a lot to say and they were pretty amped up about the guys that we have here and the guys that we brought in. So it's exciting as always. This is the start of a new season. The new guys and now getting a crack at installing the offense and seeing what these guys can do...I think it'll be a lot of fun, I'll put it that way."
D

jerseyhurricane

• Getbig IV
  • who's next ???
Re: The Pats and Tom Brady
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2009, 10:28:01 AM »
I think Brady will struggle at first because it takes time to come back from a serious knee injury. But  by mid to late season...watch out. Sucks for the rest of the league. Still, Eagles over the Patriots in the Super Bowl.
I Bleed PhillyEagle

Doug_Steele

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2009, 10:58:19 AM »
I think Brady will struggle at first because it takes time to come back from a serious knee injury. But  by mid to late season...watch out. Sucks for the rest of the league. Still, Pats over the Eagles in the Super Bowl.

I agree  ;D
D

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2009, 01:04:55 PM »
I don't think he'll struggle.  Camp + 4 pre-season games should take care of it.
Y

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2009, 05:45:32 PM »
It all depends on the Defense...if they get off to a solid start, Brady will have less to do, less pressure, less pushing and a smaller chance of hurting himself.
L

body88

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2009, 10:47:39 AM »
Brady might struggle, so lets say for the sake of argument he's 85% of what he was in 2007.  He threw 50 td's to 8 int's that year.  He'll still be the best qb in the NFL not named Payton Manning.

As I said when dumpster and others were posting ominous articles claiming Brady's career was over  ::) Brady will be fine.  Anyone see the videos of him from the mini camps?  He looks great.  He's never been mobile and his injury was not to the knee he pushes off from. 

jerseyhurricane

• Getbig IV
  • who's next ???
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2009, 12:26:12 PM »

He's never been mobile and his injury was not to the knee he pushes off from. 

If thats the case he should be fine. I've just seen guys like Donovan McNabb, Carson Palmer, and many others struggle at first coming back from a major knee injury.
I Bleed PhillyEagle

body88

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2009, 03:18:30 PM »
If thats the case he should be fine. I've just seen guys like Donovan McNabb, Carson Palmer, and many others struggle at first coming back from a major knee injury.

Don't know about Mcnabb, but Palmers injury was much worse than brady's.  I'm sure he'll struggle at first, but he will still be damn good.

ATHEIST

• Getbig IV
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2009, 03:25:19 PM »

unfortunately i dont think he will struggle, he'll be very consistant as usual. I wouldnt be surprised if he doesnt play a snap in preseason. i wanna see what Fred Taylor has left.

i think my Fins will flirt with .500 this year. i hope they dont spend too much time with the gimmicky Wildcat.

Doug_Steele

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2009, 03:32:48 PM »

unfortunately i dont think he will struggle, he'll be very consistant as usual. I wouldnt be surprised if he doesnt play a snap in preseason. i wanna see what Fred Taylor has left.

i think my Fins will flirt with .500 this year. i hope they dont spend too much time with the gimmicky Wildcat.

You have Chad Henne in waiting and Jake Long to protect him with a good defense! Ronnie Brown and Pat White will help with the Wildcat.
D

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2009, 07:32:35 PM »

palmer made the pro bowl the season after his knee injury

E
E

jerseyhurricane

• Getbig IV
  • who's next ???
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2009, 02:43:58 AM »
palmer made the pro bowl the season after his knee injury

E

It says on wikepedia that Palmer didn't become comfortable on the week until week 9 of that season.
I Bleed PhillyEagle

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2009, 11:25:06 AM »
he still made the pro bowl

E
E

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
  • I can spot crazy pussy....
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2009, 05:11:45 PM »
I'm sure Giselle spent a lot of time suck-starting Tommy back to health. His O-line should be up to the task of protecting him better than ever.

Still can't believe he married that cigarette-smoking, out of touch with reality, brazilian butterface. Why give up all that pussy by getting married? They'll be divorced within three years.

Fuck, jealousy's a bitch.... >:(

Doug_Steele

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2009, 05:32:39 PM »
I'm sure Giselle spent a lot of time suck-starting Tommy back to health. His O-line should be up to the task of protecting him better than ever.

Still can't believe he married that cigarette-smoking, out of touch with reality, brazilian butterface. Why give up all that pussy by getting married? They'll be divorced within three years.

Fuck, jealousy's a bitch.... >:(

She smokes ciggs?
D

body88

« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2009, 06:48:22 PM »
It says on wikepedia that Palmer didn't become comfortable on the week until week 9 of that season.

If you make the probowl you're doing something right.  His injury was more serious than Tom's, also.

body88

« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2009, 06:49:43 PM »
She smokes ciggs?

Yes.  She's hot in person.  She's always walking around the back bay with her dog.

jerseyhurricane

• Getbig IV
  • who's next ???
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2009, 06:51:56 PM »
he still made the pro bowl

E

Wasn't my quote saying Brady will struggle at first and by mid to late season watch out?
I Bleed PhillyEagle

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2009, 07:19:38 PM »

Wasn't my quote saying Brady will struggle at first and by mid to late season watch out?

i saw palmer live against the steelers that season in week 3, he was not struggling

E
E

body88

« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2009, 08:00:39 PM »
i saw palmer live against the steelers that season in week 3, he was not struggling

E

It's 2009.  GH and medicine make major injuries of 15 year ago bumps in the road today.  I bet Brady's on a shitload of gh to recover.

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2009, 09:22:58 PM »
more than likely, i say he'll be fine plus don't forget he has a full year to recover

palmer only had the offseason

E
E

Joel_A

• Getbig III
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2009, 09:45:49 PM »
Brady was never really known for being mobile, so he should be just fine. If he relied too much on running (like Culpepper) he would be in trouble.

jerseyhurricane

• Getbig IV
  • who's next ???
« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2009, 02:51:24 PM »
Brady was always pretty mobile in the pocket.
I Bleed PhillyEagle

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
  • I can spot crazy pussy....
« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2009, 07:54:55 PM »
I always enjoy watching the top players play at the highest level in he NFL. I'm glad he's back and hope he stays healthy.

body88

« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2009, 08:16:25 PM »
Brady was always pretty mobile in the pocket.

He's not "mobile" in the traditional sense. He has an uncanny ability to "shuffle" and step up to avoid the rush.  Brady has three things that make him one of the greatest qb's ever.  An uncanny ability to move in the pocket and sense pressure, extreme intelligence and a freakish work ethic.