Author Topic: Update on Forrest Griffin  (Read 9793 times)

Captain Equipoise

• Getbig V
  • back from the dead...
Re: Update on Forrest Griffin
« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2009, 10:54:29 AM »

Where can he go?   He is a man with a heavyweight frame, with middle weight or lowering punching power, fighting in the light weight division.   There is not way he can go down in weight, his frame is much to large, and he would be killed in the heavyweights if he chose to move up.  He will be relegated to a gate keeper position in the light weight division right next to Jardine.

I want to be clear; I am not a hater nor I am  saying Griffin is a horrible fighter or belittling his accomplishments.  Recently, with the fall of arlovski, sylvia and now griffin, it makes you realize how short the shelf life is for an MMA fighter which  makes Silva, Fedor and probably Machida, barring injury, all the more unusual.

Brilliant assessment! I agree 100%  he's screwed... he has the punching power of a 185'er and the frame of a small heavyweight :S

WeightPSHR

• Getbig IV
  • _____________
« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2009, 11:43:52 AM »
Brilliant assessment! I agree 100%  he's screwed... he has the punching power of a 185'er and the frame of a small heavyweight :S

I agree as well, but everyone acts like Forrest sucks. He has had nothing but top contenders for his young career. Forrest got demolished just like most
fighters when they go against Silva. Forrest may have had some bad losses, but that is what happens when you are going against the best sometimes.

Look at his UFC record. He has nothing to be ashamed of.

Loss      Anderson Silva      KO (Punch)      UFC 101 - Declaration      8/8/2009     1     3:23
 Loss    Rashad Evans    TKO (Punches)    UFC 92 - The Ultimate 2008    12/27/2008    3    2:46
 Win    Quinton Jackson    Decision (Unanimous)    UFC 86 - Jackson vs. Griffin    7/5/2008    5    5:00
 Win    Mauricio Rua    Submission (Rear Naked Choke)    UFC 76 - Knockout    9/22/2007    3    4:45
 Win    Hector Ramirez    Decision (Unanimous)    UFC 72 - Victory    6/16/2007    3    5:00
 Loss    Keith Jardine    TKO (Punches)    UFC 66 - Liddell vs Ortiz II    12/30/2006    1    4:41
 Win    Stephan Bonnar    Decision (Unanimous)    UFC 62 - Liddell vs Sobral    8/26/2006    3    5:00
 Loss    Tito Ortiz    Decision (Split)    UFC 59 - Reality Check    4/15/2006    3    5:00
 Win    Elvis Sinosic    TKO (Punches)    UFC 55 - Fury    10/7/2005    1    3:22
 Win    Bill Mahood    Submission (Rear Naked Choke)    UFC 53 - Heavy Hitters    6/4/2005    1    2:18
 Win    Stephan Bonnar    Decision (Unanimous)    UFC - Ultimate Fighter Finale    4/9/2005

coltrane

• Getbig IV
« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2009, 12:00:36 PM »
I agree as well, but everyone acts like Forrest sucks. He has had nothing but top contenders for his young career. Forrest got demolished just like most
fighters when they go against Silva. Forrest may have had some bad losses, but that is what happens when you are going against the best sometimes.

Loss      Anderson Silva      KO (Punch)      UFC 101 - Declaration      8/8/2009     1     3:23
 Loss    Rashad Evans    TKO (Punches)    UFC 92 - The Ultimate 2008    12/27/2008    3    2:46
 Win    Quinton Jackson    Decision (Unanimous)    UFC 86 - Jackson vs. Griffin    7/5/2008    5    5:00
 Win    Mauricio Rua    Submission (Rear Naked Choke)    UFC 76 - Knockout    9/22/2007    3    4:45
 Win    Hector Ramirez    Decision (Unanimous)    UFC 72 - Victory    6/16/2007    3    5:00
 Loss    Keith Jardine    TKO (Punches)    UFC 66 - Liddell vs Ortiz II    12/30/2006    1    4:41
 Win    Stephan Bonnar    Decision (Unanimous)    UFC 62 - Liddell vs Sobral    8/26/2006    3    5:00
 Loss    Tito Ortiz    Decision (Split)    UFC 59 - Reality Check    4/15/2006    3    5:00
 Win    Elvis Sinosic    TKO (Punches)    UFC 55 - Fury    10/7/2005    1    3:22
 Win    Bill Mahood    Submission (Rear Naked Choke)    UFC 53 - Heavy Hitters    6/4/2005    1    2:18
 Win    Stephan Bonnar    Decision (Unanimous)    UFC - Ultimate Fighter Finale    4/9/2005
Agreed.  Forrest has fought and beaten some of the best out there!  All this talk about him being done is horse shit!

BigNBloated

• Getbig III
  • Always bet on Duke.
« Reply #28 on: August 11, 2009, 12:01:09 PM »
He got straight up embarrased. Rich Franklin got killed way worse than he did. You didnt see his ass running out of the ring crying like a girl. These guys make me sick. You all bitch about Brock. Well guess what, Brock is a real alpha male FIGHTER with charisma and entertainment value. He's what makes a sport like mma exciting.

You have so many pussies like forrest griffin in the sport that think they have mastered the art because they do half assed kickboxing and boxing drills day in and day out. They train with the same group of losers that provide no challenge for them and then when they get matched up with REAL FIGHTERS like BROCK and SILVA they get ktfo'd. These guys need to step their fucking game up or get the fuck out because they are the reason I don't watch ufc anymore. This sport is flooded with little twinks who think its cute to do mma and get their brown belt in full gi bjj when they have no real natural instinct for the game.

coltrane

• Getbig IV
« Reply #29 on: August 11, 2009, 12:04:21 PM »
He got straight up embarrased. Rich Franklin got killed way worse than he did. You didnt see his ass running out of the ring crying like a girl. These guys make me sick. You all bitch about Brock. Well guess what, Brock is a real alpha male FIGHTER with charisma and entertainment value. He's what makes a sport like mma exciting.

You have so many pussies like forrest griffin in the sport that think they have mastered the art because they do half assed kickboxing and boxing drills day in and day out. They train with the same group of losers that provide no challenge for them and then when they get matched up with REAL FIGHTERS like BROCK and SILVA they get ktfo'd. These guys need to step their fucking game up or get the fuck out because they are the reason I don't watch ufc anymore. This sport is flooded with little twinks who think its cute to do mma and get their brown belt in full gi bjj when they have no real natural instinct for the game.

You talk about being a real fighter and mastering the arts etc.  I can see silva in that league, but Brock?  Come on.

BigNBloated

• Getbig III
  • Always bet on Duke.
« Reply #30 on: August 11, 2009, 12:06:58 PM »
Lesnar won the 2000 NCAA wrestling championship as a heavyweight.

Hes an elite athlete. Who the fuck is Forrest Griffin besides an ex cop from Georgia.

BigNBloated

• Getbig III
  • Always bet on Duke.
« Reply #31 on: August 11, 2009, 12:09:00 PM »
My point was that Brock is a naturally talented athlete with the spirit, strength, and mentality of a REAL fighter. 

Archer77

• Getbig V
  • Team Shizzo
« Reply #32 on: August 11, 2009, 12:09:30 PM »
I agree as well, but everyone acts like Forrest sucked. He has had nothing but top contenders for his young career. Forrest got demolished just like most

Loss      Anderson Silva      KO (Punch)      UFC 101 - Declaration      8/8/2009     1     3:23

I wasn't trying to knock Griffin but really take an objective look at him.  He has won against tough competition, and you can't take that away from him.  What is happening is normal.   Like a lot of fighters, Griffins skill set and ability have reached their limited.  The new breed of fighters like Machida and Silv2a aren't going to exchange punches in the middle of the ring and that makes it very difficult for fighters like Griffin.  Silva and Machida will be figured out in time.  I have no doubt about that.  Every sport progresses in increments, with new fighters bringing something different that initially confuses fighters and that is what we are seeing with Silva.

And also, Griffin's fight career might be young, but he isn't.  Age chips away at fighter reflexes and that is especially detrimental to a striker.  As they say, the last thing to go is power.  Griffin lacks the fire power to fall back on, and if he loses any more of his reflexes, he will be certifiably comatose.   Overtime, often a very short period, sluggers like Griffin who take a lot of damage rapidly accelerates the process of decline.
A

WeightPSHR

• Getbig IV
  • _____________
« Reply #33 on: August 11, 2009, 12:11:01 PM »

I have to Thank You for not watching UFC! They are doing all they can to rid of fans with your mentality.
I guess it is working.
No offence bro...you can feel how you want about the pussy fighters.

WeightPSHR

• Getbig IV
  • _____________
« Reply #34 on: August 11, 2009, 12:14:55 PM »

I wasn't trying to knock Griffin but really take an objective look at him.  He has won against tough competition, and you can't take that away from him.  What is happening is normal.   Like a lot of fighters, Griffins skill set and ability have reached their limited.  The new breed of fighters like Machida and Silv2a aren't going to exchange punches in the middle of the ring and that makes it very difficult for fighters like Griffin.  Silva and Machida will be figured out in time.  I have no doubt about that.  Every sport progresses in increments, with new fighters bringing something different that initially confuses fighters and that is what we are seeing with Silva.

And also, Griffin's fight career might be young, but he isn't.  Age chips away at fighter reflexes and that is especially detrimental to a striker.  As they say, the last thing to go is power.  Griffin lacks the fire power to fall back on, and if he loses any more of his reflexes, he will be certifiably comatose.   Overtime, often a very short period, sluggers like Griffin who take a lot of damage rapidly accelerates the process of decline.

I wan't talking about you personally :) I was just saying in genereal. I do agree with some of your anylsis.

BigNBloated

• Getbig III
  • Always bet on Duke.
« Reply #35 on: August 11, 2009, 12:16:33 PM »

I have to Thank You for not watching UFC! They are doing all they can to rid of fans with your mentality.
I guess it is working.
No offence bro...you can feel how you want about the pussy fighters.

Because I dont want to watch a bunch of guys with no talent and no skills lay on each other? I watch guys like Silva because he performs his art to the fucking T. You can't train someone to fight like him. He is just that good. I don't like watching this half assed style of fighting that has taken over. It's boring. Silva got right in Forrests face to bang toe to toe. Thats a true fighter. Sorry if I like entertainment and know what real striking and grappling looks like.

coltrane

• Getbig IV
« Reply #36 on: August 11, 2009, 12:20:24 PM »
My point was that Brock is a naturally talented athlete with the spirit, strength, and mentality of a REAL fighter. 

Your statement was saying that forrest wasn't a  master of the arts etc..  and then went on to indirectly say Lesnar was.   You've gotta be kidding.  He's a wrestler at best.  And VERY new to MMA. 

Putting Lesnar in the same sentence with Silva is a joke.  You must be new to MMA bro.   ::)

WeightPSHR

• Getbig IV
  • _____________
« Reply #37 on: August 11, 2009, 12:22:11 PM »

Because I dont want to watch a bunch of guys with no talent and no skills lay on each other? I watch guys like Silva because he performs his art to the fucking T. You can't train someone to fight like him. He is just that good. I don't like watching this half assed style of fighting that has taken over. It's boring. Silva got right in Forrests face to bang toe to toe. Thats a true fighter. Sorry if I like entertainment and know what real striking and grappling looks like.

No need to be sorry. You can watch whatever you want.
What org do you watch? I am just curious.

coltrane

• Getbig IV
« Reply #38 on: August 11, 2009, 12:23:07 PM »
No need to be sorry. You can watch whatever you want.
What org do you watch? I am just curious.

He watches G.L.O.W.

(if youre too young to know, do a google search)

BigNBloated

• Getbig III
  • Always bet on Duke.
« Reply #39 on: August 11, 2009, 12:27:35 PM »
He's very new to mma, you're right. My fucking point is that he is a real fighter. The other guys are not real fighters. They can train day and night and not even come close being a fighter like Brock or Silvia. They have the power, the stamina, the instincts, the reflexes to dominate. It comes naturally for them. There is a difference between guys who train real hard to act as fighters and the winners of matches like forrest vs silva and brock vs mir. 

WeightPSHR

• Getbig IV
  • _____________
« Reply #40 on: August 11, 2009, 12:29:40 PM »
He's very new to mma, you're right. My fucking point is that he is a real fighter. The other guys are not real fighters. They can train day and night and not even come close being a fighter like Brock or Silvia. They have the power, the stamina, the instincts, the reflexes to dominate. It comes naturally for them. There is a difference between guys who train real hard to act as fighters and the winners of matches like forrest vs silva and brock vs mir. 

What do you like to watch if you don't watch UFC?

coltrane

• Getbig IV
« Reply #41 on: August 11, 2009, 12:33:28 PM »

I guess it's your opinion and you have a right to it.  But I just find it hard to say that he (griffin) isn't a real fighter.  He has fought in lower level mma arenas, and has now rising to the ranks of the UFC.  How can one claim he's not a "real fighter"?   This baffles me.

BigNBloated

• Getbig III
  • Always bet on Duke.
« Reply #42 on: August 11, 2009, 12:33:39 PM »

What do you like to watch if you don't watch UFC?

I did watch Pride. I was watching DREAM there for a minute when I had HD net but now I don't watch any of it.

coltrane

• Getbig IV
« Reply #43 on: August 11, 2009, 12:39:30 PM »
I did watch Pride. I was watching DREAM there for a minute when I had HD net but now I don't watch any of it.

I read somewhere where Spike is going to state to replay all the PRIDE fights.. starts Jan.  FYI

BigNBloated

• Getbig III
  • Always bet on Duke.
« Reply #44 on: August 11, 2009, 12:40:00 PM »
I guess it's your opinion and you have a right to it.  But I just find it hard to say that he (griffin) isn't a real fighter.  He has fought in lower level mma arenas, and has now rising to the ranks of the UFC.  How can one claim he's not a "real fighter"?   This baffles me.

It's cool. I'd compare him to kenflo. You'd more than likely see kenflo and think he's suitable as a cross country runner and Griffin a basketball player if you ran into them. There is a different mold for people who actually destroy others like Silva does and guys like forrest who swing for the trees and think of themselves as a knockout artist.

Stapleton

• Getbig II
« Reply #45 on: August 12, 2009, 11:05:56 PM »

Good point

Signifying Monkey

• Getbig IV
« Reply #46 on: August 12, 2009, 11:11:36 PM »
silva's an old fighter

LMV

• Getbig III
  • Time Out
« Reply #47 on: August 13, 2009, 01:36:28 AM »

RxBandit

• Getbig III
  • Team Germany approved.
« Reply #48 on: August 13, 2009, 03:00:45 AM »
Brilliant, LMV.  ;D
...no question.

Stapleton

• Getbig II
« Reply #49 on: August 13, 2009, 11:41:25 AM »
Read Forrests book.  he praises Anderson a lot (this is before the fight). No wonder he looked so intimidated during the fight. Apparently he'd also a wandy fan.

Pretty funny read but its not a keeper. Borrow it from a library