Author Topic: Shelby's in the hospital  (Read 3363 times)

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
Shelby's in the hospital
« on: August 10, 2009, 09:36:15 AM »
She snuck a 1/2 bag of chocolate chips out of the cupboard (same place I keep my protein powder) this morning and I didn't discover it until she ingested all of it  :-[The vet said to get her into emergency right away.  They've induced vomiting and given her charcoal and advise her to remain under hospital care for the next 12 hours.  Seems excessive, but since it's such a high concentration of cocoa and she's only 22 lbs, I guess it can cause serious problems over the course of the day.  :'(
:

tonymctones

• Getbig V
Re: Shelby's in the hospital
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2009, 10:49:22 AM »
sorry to hear that L i hope she is ok

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2009, 11:05:29 AM »
Thank you tony.

The more I read about it, the more worried I'm becoming  :'(

Toxin
Methylxanthines

Source
Chocolate, coffee, tea, theobromine, caffeine, and theophylline.

General Information
Theobromine is found in chocolate, cocoa beans, cocoa bean hulls (landscape bedding), cola, and tea. Milk chocolate contains 58 mg/oz. and unsweetened baking chocolate contains 390 mg/oz.

Caffeine is found in coffee, tea, chocolate, colas, and human stimulants.

Theophylline is found in tea and human and veterinary preparations.

Caffeine and theobromine have an effect on animals similar to that on people. They increase the breathing and heart rate, sometimes causing irregular beating of the heart. They cause restlessness because of the changes of calcium and energy sources at the cellular level. Caffeine also directly stimulates the myocardium and central nervous system.

Note: Some methylxanthines may be reabsorbed from the urinary bladder.

Toxic Dose
Mild symptoms occur with the ingestion of 9 mg per pound of body weight of either caffeine or theobromine. Severe signs occur around 20 mg/lb and seizures and possible death can occur after ingestion of 27 mg of theobromine or caffeine per pound of body weight. Since milk chocolate contains 58 mg/oz of theobromine, this means a dose of less than 1 oz of milk chocolate per pound of body weight could potentially cause death. Less that 0.1 oz of Baker's unsweetened chocolate per pound of body weight could be lethal. Usually the more bitter the chocolate, the higher the level of theobromine.

Signs
Common signs include vomiting, diarrhea, panting, bloating, increased drinking, hyperactivity, restlessness, ataxia, muscle tremors, increased or decreased heart rate, irregular heart rhythm, and increased body temperature. Signs usually occur 6-12 hours after ingestion. Seizures, coma, or death may occur. Less frequent symptoms include abdominal pain and blood in the urine.

Immediate Action
Induce vomiting and seek veterinary attention.

Veterinary Care
General treatment: The induction of vomiting may be continued, gastric lavage is performed, and activated charcoal is administered.

Supportive treatment: IV fluids are given to prevent dehydration and to induce urine production. The heart rate and rhythm are monitored, and medications are given if necessary. The animal is monitored and treated for hyperthermia. Seizures are treated. The urinary bladder may need to be catheterized to prevent reabsorption of the toxin.

Prognosis
Usually recover with hospitalization and aggressive therapy. May be fatal, if enough of the toxin is absorbed.
:

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2009, 11:27:37 AM »
:

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2009, 01:42:46 PM »
Oh no!

Princess what is the update on Shelby?

R

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2009, 03:23:54 PM »
I just heard back from the vet...finally.  She's doing well and showing no signs of distress.  B/P, ECG, temp, etc. are normal.  They want me to check back at 8:30pm to know if she can come home. 

She's at an emergency hospital (which is conveniently located across the street from our vet ~ although it's 20 miles away).  I know the place well.  One Thanksgiving night we had to take Keesha there after she ate an entire drumstick and then another time when her stomach became twisted (gastric distillation) and ultimately had to put her down.  Then with Scout when he must've stepped on a pricker which ended up causing an abscess which caused a huge fever (which can be life threatening).  That happened very quickly.  Now this  ::)  I don't know how this place does it.  Dealing with major emergencies 24/7.  This family of adults came out of a room with their Spaniel while I was (pre-paying) the bill and they were in tears.  I was practically in tears just knowing they must've just received grim news  :'(
:

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2009, 08:13:59 PM »
thats good to hear L i will pray for shelby tonight

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2009, 08:26:39 PM »
Thank you for the well-wishes.  She was able to come home tonight.   :)  She's on a strict bodybuilding diet of boiled chicken and brown rice for two days.  My husband said Scout was crying before we got home  :(
:

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2009, 09:01:09 PM »
awww he misses his friend, good to hear L slip in some creatine and shell be contest ready i no time  ;D

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2009, 06:23:26 AM »
Thank God she is OK!!  That is great to hear!

Poor Scout and your husband, sitting there together crying waiting for their women to come home!
R

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2009, 04:38:42 AM »
Glad she's ok Princess!   The darker the chocolate the more toxic it is to them.  Better to be safe than sorry in that case. 

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2009, 02:31:50 PM »
Puppy adoption fee                     $250.00

Puppy vet check and vaccinations $280.00

Rich dark chocolate chips             $3.50

Emergency Hospitalization            $481.00

Happy and content pups

Priceless
:

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2009, 08:28:47 PM »
awwww scout looks like he is watching over his little sis making sure she is ok.

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2009, 08:33:11 PM »
Good to see everything turned out A-OK.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2009, 06:24:16 AM »
R

Luv2Hurt

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2009, 12:56:17 PM »
Glad to here she is fine.  Must have been a real scare.