Author Topic: Jump squats BEFORE back squats  (Read 870 times)

sculpture

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
Jump squats BEFORE back squats
« on: September 05, 2009, 03:56:51 AM »
Is there any logic to this?

I often do 3 sets 5 reps on jump squats witha ligh weight in the middle of the leg workout but doing it first would serve as a nice warm up to the heavier back squatting and i'm sure there is some science behind it

Can anyone shed some light?

Zach Trowbridge

• Getbig IV
Re: Jump squats BEFORE back squats
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2009, 12:38:09 PM »
Anything dynamic should be done in the beginning of the workout.  You can't be explosive when you're fatigued.

slaveboy1980

• Getbig V
  • Thought is the arrow of time; memory never fades.
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2009, 05:26:55 PM »
Is there any logic to this?

I often do 3 sets 5 reps on jump squats witha ligh weight in the middle of the leg workout but doing it first would serve as a nice warm up to the heavier back squatting and i'm sure there is some science behind it

Can anyone shed some light?

do your explosive work first in a workout. that being said, why would you do jump squats if you arent doing some kind of sport specific training?

just do a fucking normal warm up...reg warm up sets of squats (no high rep shit tho..you want to warm up not make yourself tired) and maybe some stretching if you feel the need.

dyslexic

• Getbig V
  • baddoggy
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2009, 07:35:19 AM »
In the winter months when the gym is cold.. I would imagine "jump-squats" for a warmup could be a real bitch on the knees.

I would just warm up with bodyweight squats or just an empty bar. Follow the motion that you would be using for back squats.

Seems there's some kind of new hype goin on in the gym these days with all the unilateral, jumping, balancing, non-heavy-lifting. I guess they call it functional training. I see guys with the stretch bands doing the suspended cross-chest flyes in the squat rack. They are just inches from knocking their teeth out.

Add a Bosu ball and youve got a complete disaster.