Author Topic: Marquez/Mayweather vs. UFC 103 PPV buy estimates are in  (Read 3910 times)

*ChuteBoxe*

• Getbig IV
Marquez/Mayweather vs. UFC 103 PPV buy estimates are in
« on: September 23, 2009, 07:05:42 PM »
The real numbers will be out on Thursday or Friday:

While the official numbers have not yet come in the rumor mill is circulating surrounding pay per view buys for this past weekend’s head to head pay per view battle between boxing and the UFC. Officially there is no battle between the two sports but many enthusiasts were anxious to see what would happen when a major boxing card faced off with a major UFC card.

The UFC has generally done better pay per view numbers than boxing but the two sports have never gone head to head on the same day. Both sports have been cautious not to set major events on the same date but a rib injury to Floyd Mayweather Junior back in June pushed the re-emergence of “Money” to September 19. The same weekend, same day as UFC 103. The clash between the aforementioned Mayweather and Juan Manuel Marquez was originally scheduled for July 18..

According the rumor mill boxing dominated the UFC nearly as thoroughly as Mayweather dominated Marquez, at least that night.

If reports are accurate Mayweather/Marquez raked in over 1 million buys at nearly $50 while UFC 103 did approximately 400,000 at nearly $45. You do the math. In reality we may never know the final numbers of the UFC broadcast because it is privately owned and has no legal responsibility to publicly disclose its sales unlike HBO pay per view. Still, you sort of get the feeling that White would love the opportunity to take another stab at boxing and what better way to do that than to point that he went head to head with boxing's bad boy Mayweather…and won.

Dana White prior to this past weekend, “No matter what happens on Saturday night, boxing is in trouble.” He continued, “Nobody is asking to see this Marquez fight. They want to see Mayweather/Pacquiao fight.” In retrospect boxing seems to not be in as much trouble as White thought. Still, there is undeniable truth that the world is waiting to see Mayweather/Pacquiao mix it up but a large number of people decided that they wanted to see Mayweather/Marquez as well. Probably more than anybody would have guessed, well, except Mayweather himself. To be fair-minded, Mayweather is no stranger to trash mixed martial arts either.

In my mind this affirms it. Mayweather is a boxing superstar! Maybe he’s the bad boy of boxing. Maybe you tune in hoping he gets beat. Maybe you’re a diehard fan and salivate at boxing in its purist form. Maybe he's the fighter you love to hate. Maybe Mayweather is the B-side to all these record breaking pay per view fights of which (hold your breath) he is the common denominator. Regardless of why we tune, the fact is, we tune in and that is what counts.

The final purchase numbers may also be affected and blurred by the non-traditional purchasing and viewing methods both sports used.

In addition to purchase via pay per view, the Mayweather/Marquez clash was available in movie theatres nationwide. That had not happened since the days of Muhammad Ali and Sugar Ray Leonard, rarely live and never in full HD. Attendees have reported being able to actually see perspiration flying off the fighters as though they were sitting ringside. (How about doing a fight in 3D...freaky!)Boxing’s counterpart, the UFC, got a little fight-techy as well. UFC fans could watch the fight in a traditional pay per view setting or watch it on their iPhones with the purchase of a 99-cent app and a $45 fee. The UFC even took it a step farther when it aired the undercard on standard cable television in hopes of generating more public interest in the pay per view section.

While both sides downplay the importance of the boxing vs. UFC weekend but now that the pay per view numbers are trickling in it will be interesting to see if it stays that way. Truth be
told, boxing isn’t dead and it owes a big high five to the UFC for forcing it to get back on track. No matter which sport won, or which sport did more sales, a lot of people watched a lot of guys fight this weekend. You gotta love that.

Predictions
 40/61

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
Re: Marquez/Mayweather vs. UFC 103 PPV buy estimates are in
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2009, 07:08:31 PM »
94% of those 1 mill PPV buys were mexicans and blacks.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Geo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2009, 08:15:39 PM »
honestly I really think dana should keep his pie hole shut about boxing PPV's...

at this point the cards sell themselves without dana looking like an idiot and downplaying what HBO is doing on a saturday night....

the competition is'nt with HBO...

the only competition the UFC has is to put on a card that is better (or just as good) as the card they had last..

love both, but the big fight atmosphere HBO generates is always gonna trump any big fight atmosphere the UFC has....

problem is, boxings big fights are far and few between !

Eric15210

• Getbig IV
  • poor people are crazy I'm eccentric
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2009, 08:16:36 PM »
1% asian ppv buyers  ;D
RIP Bob Probert

George Whorewell

• Getbig V
  • TND
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2009, 08:32:20 PM »
Dana is a smart promoter, but he's talking out of his ass on this one.

The UFC card was an absolute joke this time around and despite Meywhethers dominance, that match was 100000x more intereting than the UFC event.

Cotto v. Pacquiao is also a very compelling fight, that IMO is way more interesting than Rua/ Machida. Cotto only lost the title because the other guy ( whose name I cant remember) cheated his ass off ( and later lost to Mosley pulling the same stunt with concrete in his gloves). The problem is that the UFC puts out a new PPV every month, and 50% of the time the card is beyond lame. Boxing only needs like 3 top flight cards per year to generate as much or more than the UFC.

Pacquiao v. Meywhether will break every single PPV record of all time by a mile... thats with the economy in the toilet and with the UFC. That, you can take to the fucking bank. In my lifetime, I can think of maybe 2 or 3 other fights that were as compelling as that fight promises to be. Even if it's 100 dollars a buy, people will flock to order it in droves.

20inch calves

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2009, 08:45:46 PM »
personally i find boxing boring. it will never be what it use to be for me anyways. long live mma  ;D
irongearco.com

Geo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2009, 10:54:29 PM »

Pacquiao v. Meywhether will break every single PPV record of all time by a mile...

I don't think it'll happen..

manny will price himself out of that fight and/or want floyd to come in at 42 or 44...

floyd can sidestep manny and have a big payday with shane..

*ChuteBoxe*

• Getbig IV
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2009, 06:20:54 AM »
The problem with Manny vs. Floyd is Floyd.  He is not willing to do a 50/50 split with Manny even though Manny has proven to be a way bigger draw, and Manny isn't willing to settle for anything less than 50/50 (rightfully so).  Floyd has got to be the most selective "so called" p4p fighter ever.  If he wants to be the real p4p, he should fight the best and he should fight fighters his own size. 
Predictions
 40/61

George Whorewell

• Getbig V
  • TND
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2009, 06:31:33 AM »
Maybe so-- But I feel that in the interest of maxing out money wise, Meywhether will swallow his pride and go 50/50. Pacquiuao is one fighter that has earned that right. Meywhether is an arrogant SOB but hes not stupid. Pacquaio is the champ and if he defeats Cotto, he's beaten everyone Meywhether has ( in some cases twice). Besides aleinating the fans, Meywhether has got to realize how deep the ramifications are to this fight. For the first time in decades, there is an actual p4p best in the world title bout. Historically,financially and otherwise, this is the fight of both their lifetimes.

Pacquiao has a bigger international following, already has the belt, and is the consensus p4p best in the world. I don't think Floyd will screw the pooch by being greedy.

*ChuteBoxe*

• Getbig IV
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2009, 06:39:31 AM »
Maybe so-- But I feel that in the interest of maxing out money wise, Meywhether will swallow his pride and go 50/50. Pacquiuao is one fighter that has earned that right. Meywhether is an arrogant SOB but hes not stupid. Pacquaio is the champ and if he defeats Cotto, he's beaten everyone Meywhether has ( in some cases twice). Besides aleinating the fans, Meywhether has got to realize how deep the ramifications are to this fight. For the first time in decades, there is an actual p4p best in the world title bout. Historically,financially and otherwise, this is the fight of both their lifetimes.

Pacquiao has a bigger international following, already has the belt, and is the consensus p4p best in the world. I don't think Floyd will screw the pooch by being greedy.

I sure hope not, and I still think there is some other tough fights out there for Floyd, but he needs to get the pac-man fight out of the way already, everyone wants to see that, quit being a bitch Floyd.  I just hope Manny gets by Cotto, Freddie Roach has had some trouble getting Manny in the gym for this one, while Cotto is supposedly training like a beast.
Predictions
 40/61

MindSpin

• Getbig V
  • MMA > Boxing
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2009, 03:32:10 PM »
personally i find boxing boring. it will never be what it use to be for me anyways. long live mma  ;D

word.
w

mame09

• Getbig III
  • its simple if it jiggles its fat
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2009, 06:13:27 PM »
is the current state of boxing that bad that a little Filipino is considered p4p the best.

seen mayweathers last fight and it looks like he never left the ring. which leads to one conclusion pac-man is going to get his ass handed to him.

*ChuteBoxe*

• Getbig IV
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2009, 01:59:45 PM »
CEO of Golden boy lays the hammer down on Dana White:

Schaefer questioned the legitimacy of UFC pay-per-view results that were leaked. He said HBO is a publicly traded company that would face serious repercussions for releasing false numbers. The UFC, he noted, is a private company with no such concerns.

“I think the UFC and boxing should be able to co-exist and work together in this thing that we call (combat) sports,” Schaefer said.

“I don’t want to talk (expletive) about the UFC. But Dana White can’t do an interview without knocking boxing. If he thinks we’re idiots and don’t know anything about the pay-per-view business, I’ll make him a challenge.

“I am willing to hire one of the top three accounting firms, at my expense, and do an audit of his pay-per-view results. They are nowhere near what is put into the public. There is talk that UFC 100 did 1.6 million, but it barely broke a million. I am willing to pay to have the audits done to prove this.”
White said he would not allow anyone other than fighters with a contractual right to do so to audit his numbers.

“Do you think I’m (expletive) crazy?” he said.

But he said he thought that the success of the UFC has forced boxing promoters to be better. He called himself a huge boxing fan and said he is pleased if he can help make the sport he grew up following closely better.

He said the success of the two shows on the same night shows the interest in combat sports.

“I’m a true boxing fan and I’m happy for them, but what that number they pulled shows is the promise of combat sports,” White said.
Predictions
 40/61

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2009, 01:24:03 AM »
The UFC card was an absolute joke this time around and despite Meywhethers dominance, that match was 100000x more intereting than the UFC event.
not even remotely ::)  Mayweather looked like he could have ended it early and was dragging it out for show   Nothing special about watching a fight that comes off like that.  The Klitschko vs. Arreola fight was just as fucking lame. The worst of MMA is better than that shit. ::)