Author Topic: which kind of "pec dec" flyes work the chest the best?  (Read 7046 times)

Tom

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
which kind of "pec dec" flyes work the chest the best?
« on: October 22, 2009, 07:10:45 AM »
hi everyone! just wondered which of these 2 types of pec dec flye machines work the chest the best? at my gym, they only have the one where you grab the handles and it's like hugging a tree flye.....

but then there are the pec dec where you have your arms and palms up like a 90 degree angle and you then move your arms together so your palms are touching. i guess that's the best explanation for this kind of flye.

should i do both kind if possible? how is one better? or not?

thanks in advance for the expert advice!

jpm101

• Getbig IV
Re: which kind of "pec dec" flyes work the chest the best?
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2009, 08:11:40 AM »
The 90 degree type, with the elbows on the pads, give better leverage and focus on the pec's themselves.

The type where the arms/hands are extended further from the body (tree hugger) transfer a lot of the resistance on the out stretched handles/arms/elbows and even shoulder joints. Which in return lessens the direct influence on the pec's.

Going to use much more weight on the 90 degree, elbows on pad pec deck style. It also works better when doing reverse rear delt work (arms will be crossed in front of the body to start).  Doing both versions, in the same work out, might be interesting. Probably get a great pump, though a pump does not always mean muscle growth. But the more effective version would be the 90 degree machine, by far. Some find this version can also help their BP, which is only logical. Good Luck.
F

Tom

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2009, 09:58:12 AM »
thanks jpm101 for the advice, however, i think i'm screwed because my gym only has the "tree hugger"pec flye machine! damn! hmm, what to do?! besides doing flyes on the bench! which of course i can't do forever!

perhaps i need to look into joing a more complete gym? will see.

i think in the meantime i'm going to do the other 90 degree angle fly after my chest workout using no weight, but only my bodyweight? what i mean is you know standing or seated and doing the exercise in a kind of isometric slow way with 3 sets of 10 reps.

ALLTRIS

• Getbig II
  • Venom Vince Versace
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2009, 04:26:50 PM »
I personally never felt like flys did much for my chest until my training got advanced wether it was machine or dumbells. Now however I love flys super sets with dips. Still hate the machines, try super setting or cable cross overs a lot guys like those.

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2009, 06:12:52 AM »
Going to use much more weight on the 90 degree, elbows on pad pec deck style. It also works better when doing reverse rear delt work (arms will be crossed in front of the body to start).

Used to use the seated lateral raise machine the same way.
Had to bend about 90 deg. at the hips and plant your head into the back of the seat - a bit awkward, but it gave me a valid justification to moon the old ladies on their way to the Silver Sneakers class when I trained in the morning.

That was my "big middle finger" to society.
 ;)

garebear

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Never question my instincts.
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2009, 06:17:40 AM »
thanks jpm101 for the advice, however, i think i'm screwed because my gym only has the "tree hugger"pec flye machine! damn! hmm, what to do?! besides doing flyes on the bench! which of course i can't do forever!

perhaps i need to look into joing a more complete gym? will see.

i think in the meantime i'm going to do the other 90 degree angle fly after my chest workout using no weight, but only my bodyweight? what i mean is you know standing or seated and doing the exercise in a kind of isometric slow way with 3 sets of 10 reps.
Get an adjustable bench and change the angle.

Better than nothing.
G

YoungBlood

• Getbig V
  • Weee!
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2009, 08:40:24 AM »

I prefer the regular pec dec you see, where your arms are held straight out.
The other version, where your arms are held at 90* angles in an L shape, I do not care- and my shoulders really do not!
I'll use the pec dec here and there, but mainly when I'm sick of flyes.
You can also do Dips for a similar effect, but I prefer to use Dips at the end of my workout.

Deadpool

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2009, 02:00:58 PM »
I was told the pec deck was just a fininshing move and; you should go heavy on dumbbell inclines too as well
X

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2009, 04:44:38 PM »
Try cable flyes. The gym has a tower in the middle with adjustable handle position on both sides so you can go low or high with cable flyes.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

garebear

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2009, 06:38:44 PM »
Try cable flyes. The gym has a tower in the middle with adjustable handle position on both sides so you can go low or high with cable flyes.
Ok. But don't be using it during peak hours. It will make me want to crush you.
G

chaos

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2009, 08:07:19 PM »

LOL, I do it all the time. ;D
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

dyslexic

• Getbig V
  • baddoggy
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2009, 07:49:33 PM »

I agree.

I just got back from the gym. Kinda late for me as I usually hit the weights in the AM.

Couple of fags kneeling on a fkng Bosu ball and doing crossovers expounding on the intricacies of their non-existent chests. Two twinks combined don't make a bodybuilder.

It's damn inconsiderate, especially during peak hour. You could do cable flyes one side at a time if you had half a brain. Good thing I didn't have a workout partner tonight. They may have had to say hello to the wall...

chaos

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2009, 08:23:21 PM »

I agree.

I just got back from the gym. Kinda late for me as I usually hit the weights in the AM.

Couple of fags kneeling on a fkng Bosu ball and doing crossovers expounding on the intricacies of their non-existent chests. Two twinks combined don't make a bodybuilder.

It's damn inconsiderate, especially during peak hour. You could do cable flyes one side at a time if you had half a brain. Good thing I didn't have a workout partner tonight. They may have had to say hello to the wall...
OK tough guy, settle down and take a deep breath. ::)
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

pjs

• Getbig II
  • As I am
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2009, 05:49:16 PM »
hi everyone! just wondered which of these 2 types of pec dec flye machines work the chest the best?

The kind where you lay on a bench and press a barbell.

chaos

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2009, 05:54:11 PM »
You only do one exercise for chest?
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

pjs

• Getbig II
  • As I am
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2009, 06:24:30 PM »
I train lifts, not bodyparts.

I do use assistance/supplemental lifts; such as a DB presses or incline presses. 

My poorly made point to the OP:  It doesn't matter.

chaos

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2009, 06:28:07 PM »
I train lifts, not bodyparts.

I do use assistance/supplemental lifts; such as a DB presses or incline presses. 

My poorly made point to the OP:  It doesn't matter.
The powerlifting board is down a few boards. ;)
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Beefjake

• Getbig IV
  • Oh fuck it.
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2009, 01:21:24 PM »

You could do cable flyes one side at a time if you had half a brain.

Ok - how? If you use any amount of weight? How do you balance yourself doing cable flyes one side at a time?

I of course know but just asking just in case there are any half-a-brainers out here :)

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2009, 01:29:46 PM »
grrrrrrrrr you tell them sister.

chaos

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2009, 02:49:37 PM »
Ok - how? If you use any amount of weight? How do you balance yourself doing cable flyes one side at a time?

I of course know but just asking just in case there are any half-a-brainers out here :)
Have your spotter hold you down on the opposite side from what you're working. ::)
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Fatpanda

• Getbig V
  • One getbigger to rule them all.
« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2009, 04:19:53 PM »
keep in mind:

the 90 degree pec deck can fuck you rotator cuffs, unless you keep your arms parallel  (horizontally) to the ground and bring your arms together tree hugging style. your inner elbow will be hooked around each pad.
175lbs by 31st July

garebear

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2009, 09:20:50 AM »
keep in mind:

the 90 degree pec deck can fuck you rotator cuffs, unless you keep your arms parallel  (horizontally) to the ground and bring your arms together tree hugging style. your inner elbow will be hooked around each pad.

Like a tree hugging hippie.
G

Meso_z

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2009, 10:10:55 AM »
I think the pec deck with the elbows on pads (90 degree), works the pecs better imo

Hulkotron

• Getbig V
  • also shopped my pic you tried to make it subtle
« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2009, 07:30:01 PM »
I've always gotten better pumps from the elbows-straight version of the pec deck, which I think is really all the pec deck is good for (pumps, finishing off a workout).  Nothing wrong with that, but your major chest-builders are always going to be the presses.  Which sort of pec deck your gym has at your disposal is probably not worth fretting over 8)

Flies with the cable crossover towers are a perfectly legitimate exercise even though they hog two towers at once.  The only time I get irritated is when some tiny tit performs his entire workout in there, or when the Gym MacGuyver is there.  You've probably seen Gym MacGuyver at your gym too.  He will haul over an adjustable bench, bosu ball, barbell plate, and resistance band to the cable crossover, from which he will rig up a Rube Goldberg-esque contraption to blast his guns with an eighth of the stack.