Author Topic: When will all the subjectivity fade away?  (Read 2004 times)

dyslexic

• Getbig V
  • baddoggy
When will all the subjectivity fade away?
« on: December 05, 2009, 10:49:41 PM »
How do you light a candle? With a match, or a lighter.

How do you start your car? With the key.

How do you get up the stairs? You climb them.

How do you keep from starving? You eat.

Why is bodybuilding so subjective. How do you get big? You get a thousand different answers and protocols.

What kind of cardio is best HIT or longer duration? Obviously both work well because people go out on a limb to explain why.

What kind of sets, reps, weights? How often? What exercises? How do I get lean? How do I get big? How do I do both?

How do you climb those stairs? Hop on one foot at a time? Walk? Run? Climb backwards? Skip steps?

I suppose in the end, the means doesnt really matter.

Why can't there be one simple answer to each question? Why so much debate? Are bodybuilding and nutrition really that mysterious?

Pretty sure this is barely readable rhetoric. Pay it no mind. Good night.

Big-C

• Getbig II
Re: When will all the subjectivity fade away?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2009, 11:00:02 PM »
The training board would be usless without these questions

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2009, 11:17:43 PM »
when somone finally funds the studies needed to get conclusive answers to these questions.

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2009, 06:32:03 AM »
Everybody likes different methods,and responds better to some that they do to others.......both mentally and physically.

dyslexic

• Getbig V
  • baddoggy
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2009, 06:46:44 AM »
Everybody likes different methods,and responds better to some that they do to others.......both mentally and physically.

I agree. I like different methods too. It's not easy to always track what you respond to best because the changes (hopefully gains) are so sporadic and "long-time-coming"

It just complicates things when you have some that are so dogmatic in their "objectivity" and their science... trying to force you to believe that there is "only one way"

Hence, the training board.. and the all-knowing personal trainers-- and let us not forget the new brand of guru.

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2009, 06:54:39 AM »
It just complicates things when you have some that are so dogmatic in their "objectivity" and their science... trying to force you to believe that there is "only one way"
Mike Mentzer comes to mind.

Lots of ways to reach the destination.

dyslexic

• Getbig V
  • baddoggy
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2009, 03:42:20 PM »

Mike Mentzer comes to mind.

Lots of ways to reach the destination.

But of course! Who else?

It's funny the analogies he used to persuade you into believing his views.

You can also find persuading analogies for this statement: "Lots of ways to reach the destination"

How about this?: Destination: From California to New York: plane, train, automobile... Harley... walk...  ;D

JasonH

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2009, 04:14:55 AM »
Many ways to skin a cat.

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2009, 10:40:14 AM »
sure lots of different types of training illicit muscle growth. butim also sure that for every person, maybe for everybody, there is an optimal way to train to illicit the fastest muscle growth. anther part of the solution, or optimal training plan, would probably include periodization, as even the m,ost optimal trianing set-up would probably still slow down overtime, as yoru body adapts to the stimulus. or maybe you could keep the same traiing program, but just make sur eyour always making progress strength-wise.

the point is that its possible to find the best way to train, althoguh it may have to be on a person to person basis, the only limitating factor is the money to fund the study(s?)

dyslexic

• Getbig V
  • baddoggy
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2009, 10:58:43 PM »
sure lots of different types of training illicit muscle growth. butim also sure that for every person, maybe for everybody, there is an optimal way to train to illicit the fastest muscle growth. anther part of the solution, or optimal training plan, would probably include periodization, as even the m,ost optimal trianing set-up would probably still slow down overtime, as yoru body adapts to the stimulus. or maybe you could keep the same traiing program, but just make sur eyour always making progress strength-wise.

the point is that its possible to find the best way to train, althoguh it may have to be on a person to person basis...

We could copy and paste these statements into almost every training thread these days... but then the big fight would break out i suppose.  ;D

tallandfat

• Getbig II
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2010, 04:13:19 PM »
knowing the answer would end all bodybuilding mag profit

no way!

I do think the huge mass monsters should lose to more symmetrical man

_bruce_

• Getbig V
  • Sam Sesambröt Sulek
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2010, 10:34:09 AM »
I haven't tried too many training methods though I can say for me that the 5x5 strength oriented way was the only one where there have been measurable and steady results.
The biggest low was Mentzer HIT... and it wasn't really fun to do either.
Second lamest for me was a split routine with lots of isolation work. When the pump was gone... so was the muscle.

dyslexic

• Getbig V
  • baddoggy
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2010, 05:57:52 PM »
It's funny how Mentzer's name and HIT routines are reappearing in all the mags.

I guess it's because there needs to be a direct contrast with Hiney's 7th son from a 7th somethin.. oh yeah "FST" that's it.

FST got Jay big and shredded.. not juice and other various assorted "supplements"-- or maybe it was the great variation in tennis shoes during workouts.

Back to the top, I think Dennis Wolf is resorting to HIT after his last competition failed attempt.

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2010, 06:10:12 PM »
i think the subjectivity fades away on an individual basis, not on a collective basis. each person needs to find what works for them. within reason. there are a few rules that everyone should follow.

progressive overload. rest/recovery. lift as heavy as you possibly can in the desired rep range while still keeping decent form. working every muscle equally.

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2010, 07:59:36 PM »
when somone finally funds the studies needed to get conclusive answers to these questions.

i think the subjectivity fades away on an individual basis, not on a collective basis. each person needs to find what works for them. within reason. there are a few rules that everyone should follow.

progressive overload. rest/recovery. lift as heavy as you possibly can in the desired rep range while still keeping decent form. working every muscle equally.
I see your thoughts on the subject have changed, for the better.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!