Author Topic: Pull-Cord Broke on ceiling mounted Heater ..please help  (Read 8922 times)

Butterbean

• Getbig V
Pull-Cord Broke on ceiling mounted Heater ..please help
« on: December 11, 2009, 02:30:07 PM »
I have a Marvin ceiling mounted heater that I installed in the garage a few years ago.

Today I pulled the string and it broke (came out of the hole).  There is no string on the outside of the heater now or I would just tie it back on.

I've been looking around online re: broken pull-cords on lights (can't find one for a heater) and they say to replace the switch.

Do I really have to do this?

Help please!

Help!  Sync Pulse!! :'(
R

Eyeball Chambers

• Getbig V
  • Would you hold still? You're making me fuck up...
Re: Pull-Cord Broke on ceiling mounted Heater ..please help
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2009, 02:58:51 PM »
That's what happens when your lats get too strong.  You start pulling cords out of ceiling fans/heaters/etc...  ;D
S

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2009, 03:01:19 PM »
I just pulled up a pic of it.  You are going to have to take it apart and tie another string on the switch. (i suggest one of those key strings, you get for ceiling fans you can get at lowes or HD)

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2009, 06:11:41 PM »
That's what happens when your lats get too strong.  You start pulling cords out of ceiling fans/heaters/etc...  ;D

Yes, they were flaring intensely when I pulled it :-[

I just pulled up a pic of it.  You are going to have to take it apart and tie another string on the switch. (i suggest one of those key strings, you get for ceiling fans you can get at lowes or HD)

OzmO, are you saying I probably won't need a new switch :D?  Thanks...I will try to take it apart tomorrow w/o taking it down.  I put enough extra holes in the ceiling just getting the damg thing up there

R

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2009, 06:25:28 PM »
Yes, they were flaring intensely when I pulled it :-[

OzmO, are you saying I probably won't need a new switch :D?  Thanks...I will try to take it apart tomorrow w/o taking it down.  I put enough extra holes in the ceiling just getting the damg thing up there

You should open it up and see.  No need in spending money when you don't need to.  The way you describe what happened doesn't point to a broken switch.  The string should have been attached to a switch.

Is this the heater:?

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2009, 06:30:12 PM »
You should open it up and see.  No need in spending money when you don't need to.  The way you describe what happened doesn't point to a broken switch.  The string should have been attached to a switch.

Is this the heater:?

That's not exactly it but extremely close.  I tried to take pics this aft. right after I did it to post but my camera's flash wasn't working for some reason and there wasn't enough light.  It's almost just like that except that one looks like it may have a light on the end away from the pull cord while mine does not.
R

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2009, 06:38:39 PM »
That's not exactly it but extremely close.  I tried to take pics this aft. right after I did it to post but my camera's flash wasn't working for some reason and there wasn't enough light.  It's almost just like that except that one looks like it may have a light on the end away from the pull cord while mine does not.

Either way just open it up.  The switch should be like the one on a ceiling fan.   

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2009, 06:41:50 PM »
Either way just open it up.  The switch should be like the one on a ceiling fan.  

I will attack it tomorrow.  Thanks OzmO :)
R

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2009, 06:43:29 PM »
I will attack it tomorrow.  Thanks OzmO :)

np  :)

sync pulse

• Getbig V
  • Only be sure always to call it please, 'research'
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2009, 07:05:33 PM »
If it is broken in the on position, you can use an outboard switch.  If it is a 1500 watt heater, use a switch that is rated for 20 amps...

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2009, 07:25:25 PM »
I have a Marvin ceiling mounted heater that I installed in the garage a few years ago.

Today I pulled the string and it broke (came out of the hole).  There is no string on the outside of the heater now or I would just tie it back on.

I've been looking around online re: broken pull-cords on lights (can't find one for a heater) and they say to replace the switch.

Do I really have to do this?

Help please!

Help!  Sync Pulse!! :'(

I don’t know about heaters, but I once replaced the pull chain switch on a ceiling fan/light.
It wasn’t that bad.
Your problem, though, may be a slightly different creature.

Dismantle the unit enough to see inside.
If there is any bit of chain stemming from inside the switch, you may be able to simply attach a longer chain to it.
You can buy chains with extension connection pieces in the lighting dept. at the hardware store.

Unfortunately, it’s MORE THAN LIKELY the chain ripped out of the switch all together.
If so, you will have to replace the entire switch.

Several things:

1.) Try to remove the switch – you’ll have to do this at some point
     regardless. MAKE SURE YOU REMEMBER HOW IT WAS CONNECTED SO
     THAT YOU CAN CONNECT THE NEW ONE!!!
Pay attention to where
     specific wires go, etc.

2.) Contact the heater’s manufacturer to see if they sell replacement parts.
     Sometimes the company will even send you the part for free, so try to
     sound sexy on the phone.

3.) You may even take the switch to a hardware store and ask someone about
     it. Make sure to specify what the switch is for. There are different kinds of
     chain switches that look the same, but behave differently. Electronics are
     often temperamental.

sync pulse

• Getbig V
  • Only be sure always to call it please, 'research'
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2009, 07:31:24 PM »
Now that I have thought about it, you may be able to find a pullchain switch at an electrical supply house/store.  Be sure to get one that can take at least 20 amps.

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2009, 03:57:22 PM »
Thanks OzmO, sync pulse and Montague!

I opened it from the side and after seeing how flimsy and worn the string is in other places, decided to replace the string w/something stronger.  I cut and bent part of a wire hanger and attached it where the string had been and out the hole to operate the switch.

I've got it plugged in and working now and will leave it on overnight to make sure nothing bad will happen.... :-\
R

powerpack

• Getbig IV
  • Time to get Buck wild!
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2009, 11:41:58 AM »

I opened it from the side and after seeing how flimsy and worn the string is in other places, decided to replace the string w/something stronger.  I cut and bent part of a wire hanger and attached it where the string had been and out the hole to operate the switch.

I've got it plugged in and working now and will leave it on overnight to make sure nothing bad will happen.... :-\
What a woman  ;)

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2009, 09:04:29 PM »

Wanna come over and fix my heater?
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2009, 09:58:58 AM »
Wanna come over and fix my heater?
ok

Butterbean

• Getbig V
R

chaos