Author Topic: PRIDE Champion takes humilating loss to TUFer  (Read 9570 times)

Benny B

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Ron = 'Princess L' & many other gimmicks - FACT!
PRIDE Champion takes humilating loss to TUFer
« on: March 31, 2010, 07:09:35 PM »
Kenny Florian chokes out Gomi.

Discuss.
!

*ChuteBoxe*

• Getbig IV
Re: PRIDE Champion takes humilating loss to TUFer
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2010, 08:54:06 PM »
I don't know why Kenny is still at 155?  He'll work his way back up only for BJ to destroy him again.  I can only watch that so many times.  Maybe he'll drop to 145 when he realizes he'll never have the lightweight belt.
Predictions
 40/61

Benny B

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Ron = 'Princess L' & many other gimmicks - FACT!
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2010, 10:08:17 PM »
We need some PRIDE fanboys stuck in 2004 to aid in this discussion! I know there are at least one or two lurking around these parts... :P
!

WeightPSHR

• Getbig IV
  • _____________
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2010, 10:11:18 PM »
I don't know why Kenny is still at 155?  He'll work his way back up only for BJ to destroy him again.  I can only watch that so many times.  Maybe he'll drop to 145 when he realizes he'll never have the lightweight belt.

It does suck for Kenny. He is good, but not quite good enough for BJ. But who else can compete closely with BJ at 170? I am sure Kenny wants to test himself against the best by staying at 155.

WeightPSHR

• Getbig IV
  • _____________
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2010, 10:19:21 PM »
We need some PRIDE fanboys stuck in 2004 to aid in this discussion! I know there are at least one or two lurking around these parts... :P

Agree 100%....It is becoming clearer all the time. PRIDE guys have not fared well in the UFC.

Wonder how FEDOR would do? It's very obvious the talent on the UFC is not like PRIDE talent ;D

Eric15210

• Getbig IV
  • poor people are crazy I'm eccentric
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2010, 05:39:45 AM »
Gomi looked like the TUFer  ;D

The beating Florian gave Gomi was shameful
RIP Bob Probert

RancherRanger

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2010, 07:30:10 AM »
Gomi is past his prime.  If I was Dana I'd make him fight Melvin Guillard next.  If Melvin beats him, I'd cut him.

*ChuteBoxe*

• Getbig IV
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2010, 08:13:17 AM »
It does suck for Kenny. He is good, but not quite good enough for BJ. But who else can compete closely with BJ at 170? I am sure Kenny wants to test himself against the best by staying at 155.

Jose Aldo is fixing to run out of people to beat up at 145, im sure he would love to add Kenny's skull to his pile.
Predictions
 40/61

WeightPSHR

• Getbig IV
  • _____________
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2010, 08:53:02 AM »
Jose Aldo is fixing to run out of people to beat up at 145, im sure he would love to add Kenny's skull to his pile.

Another big reason why Florian wants to stay at 155 is the bigger names, bigger paydays, and more recognition. Let's face it , the 145 class is not the most popular division in MMA. Aldo/Florian would be a great match-up. Perhaps Aldo could move up someday? Just don't see Florian stepping down to the WEC. In his eyes, I am sure he thinks he has a chance against BJ.

K-1

• Getbig IV
  • TEAM NO MERCY!!!
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2010, 09:03:10 AM »
Gomi is past his prime.  If I was Dana I'd make him fight Melvin Guillard next.  If Melvin beats him, I'd cut him.

LOL...because lord knows if Melvin loses.....he'll probably still get a title shot by years end.  ;D

George Whorewell

• Getbig V
  • TND
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2010, 09:12:08 AM »
Florian is second only to BJ at 155 imo. But overall 155 is a pretty deep division-- Sanchez, Guida, BJ, Florian, Diaz, Tyson Griffin, Joe Daddy, that Aussie up and comer that destroyed joe daddy, the guy BJ is fighting at UFC 112, now add Gomi to the mix and on and on. Maybe Florian will earn another title shot down the road and BJ will take him lightly. Who knows--

WeightPSHR

• Getbig IV
  • _____________
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2010, 09:43:14 AM »
Florian is second only to BJ at 155 imo. But overall 155 is a pretty deep division-- Sanchez, Guida, BJ, Florian, Diaz, Tyson Griffin, Joe Daddy, that Aussie up and comer that destroyed joe daddy, the guy BJ is fighting at UFC 112, now add Gomi to the mix and on and on. Maybe Florian will earn another title shot down the road and BJ will take him lightly. Who knows--

A Florian/Diego match up would be good.

MindSpin

• Getbig V
  • MMA > Boxing
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2010, 10:08:17 AM »
Where are the Pride nuthuggers ???
w

*ChuteBoxe*

• Getbig IV
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2010, 11:35:03 AM »
Another big reason why Florian wants to stay at 155 is the bigger names, bigger paydays, and more recognition. Let's face it , the 145 class is not the most popular division in MMA. Aldo/Florian would be a great match-up. Perhaps Aldo could move up someday? Just don't see Florian stepping down to the WEC. In his eyes, I am sure he thinks he has a chance against BJ.

I see Kenny getting one more title shot, and after that I really don't see Dana letting it happen again if he fails.   Although I'd like to see him fight Tyson Griffin or Frankie Edgar.  BJ has Kenny's number no matter what he does, Dana stepped in and suggested Rich Franklin's move up to do the catch weight fights and the 205lb fights since he knew ACE had no chance at 185 with Anderson, I can see that happening with Kenflo if BJ Smokes him again.
Predictions
 40/61

HICKSON

• Getbig IV
  • Bunch of slack-jaw fagg0ts round here.
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2010, 02:09:57 PM »
Come on guys... We have to give Gomi a slight break, Hasn't fought in a cage & has fought only one with a loss to Diaz in the U.S. that shit can play games with your mind right thurr.

Give him 1-2 more fights, if he looks like Vera then thats to bad for the Fireball kid.  :-\
Giving 110%

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2010, 04:54:55 PM »
Agree 100%....It is becoming clearer all the time. PRIDE guys have not fared well in the UFC.

Wonder how FEDOR would do? It's very obvious the talent on the UFC is not like PRIDE talent ;D

really?

big nog - heavyweight champ

rampage - light heavyweight champ

anderson silva - middle weight champ

shogun - should be light heavyweight champ and smashed ufc poster boy chuck liddell, which brings me to my next point chuck was the champ the last time pride aired a show

none of the top guys then (aside from the great fedor) are still top guys today

E
E

MindSpin

• Getbig V
  • MMA > Boxing
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2010, 05:08:17 PM »
Big Nog got demolished by Mir & Cain
Rampage lost to a TUF winner
Of his nearly 30 fights, only 5 were in Pride (11 in the UFC).  Anderson is not really a Pride guy.   
Shogun also lost to a TUF winner.

Earl, come on man.  You have no idea what you're talking about ::)
w

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2010, 05:39:20 PM »
Big Nog got demolished by Mir & Cain
Rampage lost to a TUF winner
Of his nearly 30 fights, only 5 were in Pride (11 in the UFC).  Anderson is not really a Pride guy.   
Shogun also lost to a TUF winner.

Earl, come on man.  You have no idea what you're talking about ::)

none of what you said changes the facts i listed ::), those pride fighters came into ufc and immediately became champs

anderson lost to ryo chonan lol

3 years ago randy and chuck were ufc champs when pride had their last show

both got owned by pride fighters, heck chuck got owned by a TUF loser haha

if you're going to say that the pride big boys from back then aren't any good today,  neither are the ufc stars from those days

the sport has changed, but pride had the best fighters at their peak

E

E

WeightPSHR

• Getbig IV
  • _____________
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2010, 06:54:45 AM »
none of what you said changes the facts i listed ::), those pride fighters came into ufc and immediately became champs

if you're going to say that the pride big boys from back then aren't any good today,  neither are the ufc stars from those days

E

PRIDE may have had the best fighters at one point, but we will never really now. But as you stated, the sport has changed greatly.
Time for Fedor to step up and fight the CURRENT best to maintain his #1 status.

MindSpin

• Getbig V
  • MMA > Boxing
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2010, 08:41:48 AM »

E

TUF guys beating UFC guys does nothing for making Pride guys better.  Oh, and Chuck beat Wandy..ha!
w

WeightPSHR

• Getbig IV
  • _____________
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2010, 08:45:28 AM »
TUF guys beating UFC guys does nothing for making Pride guys better.  Oh, and Chuck beat Wandy..ha!

Can't forget about Heath Herring's amazing run in the UFC. A wet behind the ears Brock ended his career :o

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2010, 11:04:22 AM »
TUF guys beating UFC guys does nothing for making Pride guys better.  Oh, and Chuck beat Wandy..ha!

you mentioned tuf guys to make pride guys look bad, even though tuf guys have beaten ufc poster boys like liddell and ortiz

like i said the sport has changed, there are new young elite fighters and elite fighters from the past either got old or the new blood has surpassed them, but when the two organizations merged almost 3 years ago to the day, pride fighters immediately became the champs

chuck and randy were ufc champs then, i'd say nog looks like a better heavyweight than randy and tim sylvia today, shogun and rampage look like better lhw's than chuck

and they proved it, don't let the facts get in the way of your blind lust for the ufc :-*

E
E

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2010, 11:07:49 AM »
Can't forget about Heath Herring's amazing run in the UFC. A wet behind the ears Brock ended his career :o

when was heath herring ever a champ in pride?  what big wins did he have in pride?

i admit people were wrong to think that pride was "vastly superior" to the ufc, it was close but at pride's peak i still say they had the better fighters at lhw and especially heavyweight

E

E

MindSpin

• Getbig V
  • MMA > Boxing
« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2010, 11:15:43 AM »
you mentioned tuf guys to make pride guys look bad, even though tuf guys have beaten ufc poster boys like liddell and ortiz

like i said the sport has changed, there are new young elite fighters and elite fighters from the past either got old or the new blood has surpassed them, but when the two organizations merged almost 3 years ago to the day, pride fighters immediately became the champs

chuck and randy were ufc champs then, i'd say nog looks like a better heavyweight than randy and tim sylvia today, shogun and rampage look like better lhw's than chuck

and they proved it, don't let the facts get in the way of your blind lust for the ufc :-*

E

I got news for you genius, TUF guys ARE UFC fighters...lol.  

And, when the orgs merged three years ago, Pride guys were made to look like shiat.  Forrest decimated Shogun.  Lesnar embarrassed Heath, Sokoudjou was exposed by Machida, Wandy lost to Chuck, Big Nog lost to Mir, etc.  The only guy that had some success was Rampage, but ultimately he too a TUF winner...Forrest.

The bottom line is that the UFC was and is better than Pride, and Pride is no more.  Gomi's embarrassing loss is a sweet reminder of that :)    
w

WeightPSHR

• Getbig IV
  • _____________
« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2010, 11:25:35 AM »
when was heath herring ever a champ in pride?  what big wins did he have in pride?

i admit people were wrong to think that pride was "vastly superior" to the ufc, it was close but at pride's peak i still say they had the better fighters at lhw and especially heavyweight

E

What IS very obvious is that Fedor can not continue to keep his phony #1 status based on his wins against 'top talent' 5 years ago.
He needs to be fighting guys that are relevant in today's HW division. Rodgers, Arvloski and Sylvia are hardly top of the division. The wins he had in PRIDE have proven to be pretty meaningless in today's MMA as well. No doubt he is a legend for what he DID....but what he DOES now is what I am complaining about.