Author Topic: shoulders/lactic acid  (Read 1849 times)

wild willie

• Getbig V
shoulders/lactic acid
« on: May 17, 2010, 07:28:38 AM »
I have not been able to train chest heavy for a couple years now.

well.....last evening I felt great.....worked bench and incline smith machine along with crossovers.....

I had some insane lactic acid in my shoulders......painfully so......I was literally in pain on the drive home....I finally had some relief about 2 hours after the workout.

20 years of training and I've never had lactic acid build up quite like that.....I guess I went heavier than I should have.

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
Re: shoulders/lactic acid
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2010, 02:18:52 PM »
Did you switch up anything like rep schemes or rest periods between sets?

wild willie

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2010, 02:27:42 PM »
i think i came back too quickly...

instead of easing into it....

i probably just went a little overboard for the first time back.....shoulders feel better today.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2010, 04:41:53 PM »
Good.
If it happens again and/or becomes a recurring problem, you may want to consider supplementing with some potassium before training.

Although, that lactic acid buildup does carry some benefits.
Some fairly recent research indicates that elevating your lactate levels during exercise can stimulate pituitary hGH release.
A Romanian exercise scientist made the discovery that the lactic acid pathway is better for fat loss than the aerobic pathway.

In fact, some notable trainers have developed resistance training programs that target lactic acid production for those reasons.

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2010, 01:56:16 PM »
I believe Montague is over thinking this a bit. If WW hadn't trained chest heavy in years what can you expect but pain, though it may not be all due to lactic buildup.

One way to get the body back to normal is to do the same exercise that caused pain in the first place. Benches cause pain, than the next day do light, high rep benches with the bar(or extra light DB's) only. Put a warming agent on the selected body part, along with a heavy sweat shirt.  Want to increase the circulation in the selected area.

Want a higher potential for lactic acid than do SS's, Tri set's, Quad set's, Pre-exhausr, etc. With short rest periods between sets, like 45 seconds. 8 to 10 (or above) sets. If that makes you extra happy, that is. Good Luck.
F

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2010, 02:48:50 PM »
I believe Montague is over thinking this a bit. If WW hadn't trained chest heavy in years what can you expect but pain, though it may not be all due to lactic buildup.

One way to get the body back to normal is to do the same exercise that caused pain in the first place. Benches cause pain, than the next day do light, high rep benches with the bar(or extra light DB's) only. Put a warming agent on the selected body part, along with a heavy sweat shirt.  Want to increase the circulation in the selected area.

Want a higher potential for lactic acid than do SS's, Tri set's, Quad set's, Pre-exhausr, etc. With short rest periods between sets, like 45 seconds. 8 to 10 (or above) sets. If that makes you extra happy, that is. Good Luck.

Ha!
I didn’t even see his first sentence.
I only read the parts about lactic acid & training for 20+ years.
 ;D

What I posted about lactic acid & lipolysis, though, is legit.
Poliquin wrote a few articles (and, I believe, a book) on the subject.
I’m even thinking of trying it.
When I saw lactic acid mentioned here, it made me think of the articles because they were very fresh in my mind.

If you’re interested, let me know.
I’ll send you the link, as it’s a short and provocative read.