Author Topic: chest exercises  (Read 3086 times)

wild willie

• Getbig V
chest exercises
« on: June 02, 2010, 10:05:42 PM »
quick survey here.....

what is the most effective chest exercise?

what is the least effective chest exercise?

FREAKgeek

• Getbig V
  • Fan of the Golden Era
Re: chest exercises
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2010, 06:17:48 AM »
Barbell bench presses are my staple. Some like to use DB's, but all I get is a shoulder workout from them. Dips are good too but positioning is key. Your least effective are the ones you use pussy light weight, squeezy feely stuff like pec deck and flys.

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2010, 06:59:37 AM »
quick survey here.....
what is the most effective chest exercise?
what is the least effective chest exercise?

Are you interested in power or aesthetics?
Personally, I'm not a strength guy and, thus, not overly concerned with power.

1.) I’ve been favoring incline db presses with elbows flared, using a slightly limited ROM (stopping just short of the top).

2.) Dips are typically done with flared elbows and a concave body arch - chin tucked and feet under or just forward of your face. I always go for a deep stretch.

3.) I also like the plate loaded Hammer incline press using an even shorter ROM than the db presses with a brief pause at the top.

4.) Poliquin recommends pec-deck flies with a palms down grip. I tried them like this the other day and they do offer a better, more comfortable feel - particularly when returning to a deeper starting position as I prefer.

These movements have worked well for my chest.
While everybody is different, you may wish to give some of these a try to see how they work for you.

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2010, 09:18:24 AM »
The whole structure of the chest (including the pecs), for me and others I have trained with, the Pullover & Press. Either BB or DB.  Close second are Dips (weighted).

Less productive are strict DB flys. Bent arm flys (becoming more of a combo fly-press with heavier weight) are much better. Most over rated chest/pec exercise, the flat bench press.

A more direct pec exercise are Pec Decks, with the elbows on the pads, as the point of force/resistance. You could include this as one of the better pec movements. Holding handles out and away from the body (as some Pec Decks are designed) reduce most any direct force on the pec's themselves. Good Luck.
F

wild willie

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2010, 09:22:07 AM »
thanks for the input

NaturalWonder83

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2010, 05:18:46 PM »
pushups are good
w

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2010, 05:47:52 PM »
I agree with JPM (as usual).
Flat bench presses - for most trainers - are not the most productive mass builder for chest.

That being said, flat presses performed with a wide-grip and elbows flared, lowering the bar to the clavicles can give favorable results for chest development - particularly in the fibers of the upper pectoral region.

Scott used to do them in this fasion on a Smith.
He'd lower the bar to his Adam’s apple, with his feet placed on the end of the bench.
He would set the safety stops to protect his throat from the bar in the event of a mishap.

I tried these for a while, but stopped due to shoulder discomfort.
I didn’t employ them long enough to notice any kind of size gains, but the PWO soreness the next day indicated the area worked.

benchmstr

• Getbig V
  • Raging drunk
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2010, 06:31:58 PM »
for chest....even though i hate to do them.......flat smith machine bench........nothing builds my chest up faster than that...i only do them maybe once every 3-4 months...i should do them more, but i dont like machines...

bench

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2010, 06:48:20 PM »
The whole structure of the chest (including the pecs), for me and others I have trained with, the Pullover & Press. Either BB or DB.  Close second are Dips (weighted).

Less productive are strict DB flys. Bent arm flys (becoming more of a combo fly-press with heavier weight) are much better. Most over rated chest/pec exercise, the flat bench press.

A more direct pec exercise are Pec Decks, with the elbows on the pads, as the point of force/resistance. You could include this as one of the better pec movements. Holding handles out and away from the body (as some Pec Decks are designed) reduce most any direct force on the pec's themselves. Good Luck.

lately the exercise i feel best in my chest is the flat bench.

i have never really been able to do fly's properly, so i never do dumbell flys of any kind. (at least not on a consistant basis)

some tips on how to do the dumbell fly's effectively? i have truoubles getting the shoulders out of the movement (and sometimes to a lesser extent triceps too)

benchmstr

• Getbig V
  • Raging drunk
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2010, 06:59:21 PM »
lately the exercise i feel best in my chest is the flat bench.

i have never really been able to do fly's properly, so i never do dumbell flys of any kind. (at least not on a consistant basis)

some tips on how to do the dumbell fly's effectively? i have truoubles getting the shoulders out of the movement (and sometimes to a lesser extent triceps too)
when i do chest i usually only do flat bench or incline, and flys.....and lately 2 friends starting working out with me, and it wasn't until then that i noticed that a lot of people cant do flyes right...

i have to show them how to do it, cause i sure as hell haven't been able to explain it to them ;D

bench

dyslexic

• Getbig V
  • baddoggy
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2010, 07:01:05 PM »
Incline BB press

Dips

Cable Crossovers

Toast

benchmstr

• Getbig V
  • Raging drunk
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2010, 07:04:14 PM »
Incline BB press

Dips

Cable Crossovers

Toast
i do a ass load of dips too......but i always considered them more of a tri movement....even though they hit my chest just as well ;D

bench

LatsMcGee

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2010, 12:29:20 AM »
Presses to the neck,  Incline DB Presses,  and Dips have all worked the best for me,  Decline Cable hugs are pretty good as well.  I also like DB Floor Presses. 

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2010, 05:56:17 AM »
Presses to the neck,  Incline DB Presses,  and Dips have all worked the best for me,  Decline Cable hugs are pretty good as well.  I also like DB Floor Presses.  

One of the pros (I think, maybe JOJ) wrote an article not too long ago in a bb mag singing the praises of floor presses for chest.
I was a bit surprised to read this.
I was always taught that the lowest most few inches of the BP is where you see the greatest amount of chest activation, and that is the portion that’s eliminated in movements like floor presses and rack lockouts.
That's why I've always associated them with being more of a triceps move.

I’m not arguing the results - just trying to understand "why."
Are you doing something with elbow positioning, etc.?
It seems db's allow for some freedom/creativity in technique as opposed to a bar.

LatsMcGee

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2010, 02:57:40 AM »
The Floor Press is really good for activating the "upper" pecs much in the same fashion as say inclines or presses to the neck,  the key is to use DBs and contract fairly hard at the top.  I usually compound them with dips.    I probably wouldn't get as much out of them doing them as my lone chest manuever. 

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2010, 04:31:53 AM »
I'll probably try these this week.
Thanks.

dan18

• Getbig V
  • I DID WHAT I DID BECAUSE I DO WHAT I WANT.
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2010, 10:16:00 AM »
DB are the best for chest period less shoulder less tri usage better rom.
i do flat bench and incline with bar once a month.
p

dyslexic

• Getbig V
  • baddoggy
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2010, 02:25:19 AM »
Gotta consider there's a lot of wasted movement in DB presses. Just the hoisting and lowering alone is counter-productive IMHO.

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2010, 08:52:05 AM »
See-Saw DB benches offer a new slant on the usual benching exercises.  Just as the name suggest, press up with the right arm. As you lower the weight down, press up with the left arm, etc, repeating for reps and getting into a See-Saw action.. Just another name for alternate DB bench presses and can work very well. Some athletes use this type of training. Can also use See-Saw's with DB overhead pressing, an exceptional exercise for the delts.

The one arm DB bench press, like doing 8 reps (or so) with the right arm only and than switching over to the left arm  for 8 more reps, seems to put more focus on the side of the chest worked. Grip something solid or have a workout partner hold the free are stable while the other arm does the pressing. Another exercise used by some athletes, from time to time. It can be a very affected muscle and strength builder. Not to mention a balance factor. Of course this type of exercise also works very well with DB overhead presses also.

Personal choice: I prefer a power rack over floor presses. Just for the fact that more different pin positions (ROM) can be setup. All three phases of the push can be hit much better. Anywhere from directly off the chest for 4" to a 5" middle range or a  2" lockout at the top position. And you don't have to bother other people to have them lift the bar to you or even spot you. Good Luck.
F