Author Topic: Decline press- most underrated exercise  (Read 40561 times)

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
Decline press- most underrated exercise
« on: July 24, 2010, 02:25:37 PM »
the decline press is always hated on. "nobody needs any more lower chest"- commonly accepted among alot of top competitive bodybuilders. the main funtcion of the pectoralis is to pull the arm down and across the body.  key word DOWN and across. out of all three bench variety, incline regular and decline, only the decline puts the arm's ROM directly along the path of the Pectoralis' contraction. anecdotally, the decline allows for the least amount of stress/weight put on the deltoid and makes it much easier to get a full and strong contraction in the pec.

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
Re: Decline press- most underrated exercise
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2010, 05:12:48 PM »
It'll give you tits bro.  I do them randomly maybe 1-2 every couple of months, but when I used them every week, I was only 210-215 and pretty lean, but I developed tits. It is cool to flex them and watch them bounce around and back then some of then girls that hung around thought it was great, but I didn't really dig the shape of my chest like that, so I cut down on them and used more flat and upper movements.

Some guys use a bench with a box under one end for a less decline and use DBs, ever try that? I have not.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

wild willie

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2010, 05:21:14 PM »
the decline press is always hated on. "nobody needs any more lower chest"- commonly accepted among alot of top competitive bodybuilders. the main funtcion of the pectoralis is to pull the arm down and across the body.  key word DOWN and across. out of all three bench variety, incline regular and decline, only the decline puts the arm's ROM directly along the path of the Pectoralis' contraction. anecdotally, the decline allows for the least amount of stress/weight put on the deltoid and makes it much easier to get a full and strong contraction in the pec.
i dig declines big time......imho......it is a pure pec movement.....the stress is off the delts and put squarely on the chest......sensational movement!

chaos

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2010, 05:32:50 PM »
i dig declines big time......imho......it is a pure pec movement.....the stress is off the delts and put squarely on the chest......sensational movement!
Post a pic of your tits. :D

I agree about the shoulder stress, but tbombz is a "bodybuilder", that means a thick, even chest top to bottom.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

dyslexic

• Getbig V
  • baddoggy
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2010, 05:41:13 PM »
So, you either have the ability to build chest muscles or you don't.

Why not just build larger "upper" pecs (yeah, right)-- and then let them sag like old lady tits as you get older?

chaos

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2010, 05:46:58 PM »
So, you either have the ability to build chest muscles or you don't.

Why not just build larger "upper" pecs (yeah, right)-- and then let them sag like old lady tits as you get older?
Maybe I'm not understanding you here..........are you of the theory that you cannot increase the size/thickness of your upper chest?
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2010, 09:52:28 AM »
Most guy's fine the lower pec's (including the outer sides) easy to develop, even with the standard BP or flys. Perhaps too easy to develop, at the cost of making the upper pec's (tend to be much harder to develop) look flat and small.Tragic for a pure BB'er.  Declines (BB/DB) are an excellent lower pec developer, if you are into that heavy lower boob thing. Add regular dip for another way to influence the lowers..

For a different slant, do dips with the knuckles facing forward, and wide out elbows. The stretch can be unbelievable at first. Tends to focus on the inner cleavage (yeah I know, usually a term for women) of the pecs, pec/delt tie in and portions of the upper pec's. Preferred using a "V" bar. Can also have the knuckles facing in. Caution is advised with this exercise. Not for everyone. Good Luck.

F

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2010, 10:49:10 AM »
the idea that thick lower pecs will not look aesthetic, or will somehow look feminine and like "boobs" is just plain rediculous. show me ONE bodybuilder with a massive lower chest and non existant upper chest. and lets see if it looks bad. even in that case, which you wont find because in order for the lower pecs to be massive the upper pecs would have to have gotten worked pretty good as well, the dudes pecs wouldnt look ugly, they just wouldnt look ideal when compared to the top bodybuilders.

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2010, 11:27:52 AM »
Flawed logic in so many ways. Just really think about it. Good luck.
F

BodyMachine

• Getbig III
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2010, 12:06:19 PM »
Most guy's fine the lower pec's (including the outer sides) easy to develop, even with the standard BP or flys. Perhaps too easy to develop, at the cost of making the upper pec's (tend to be much harder to develop) look flat and small.Tragic for a pure BB'er.  Declines (BB/DB) are an excellent lower pec developer, if you are into that heavy lower boob thing. Add regular dip for another way to influence the lowers..

For a different slant, do dips with the knuckles facing forward, and wide out elbows. The stretch can be unbelievable at first. Tends to focus on the inner cleavage (yeah I know, usually a term for women) of the pecs, pec/delt tie in and portions of the upper pec's. Preferred using a "V" bar. Can also have the knuckles facing in. Caution is advised with this exercise. Not for everyone. Good Luck.

JPM

I am one of those that suffer from lower pecs and outer sides that develop MUCH faster/easier then the top of my pecs. My upper pecs look flat in comparison and I'm not happy about that. Aside from the knucles-in dips, what else can I do to develop my upper pecs as fast a possible? (btw its tough to do the dip routine you mentioned as my gym only has the straight [actually slightly bowed out] dip handles).

This is my current routine (started 3 weeks ago)
Incline DB press 2 x 8
Flat DB press 2x8
Incline DB flyes 2x8
Dips (knuckles in as i can, though not perfect 90deg) 2 x failure
(then a couple of triceps exercises)

Your advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks

chaos

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2010, 01:09:15 PM »
the idea that thick lower pecs will not look aesthetic, or will somehow look feminine and like "boobs" is just plain rediculous. show me ONE bodybuilder with a massive lower chest and non existant upper chest. and lets see if it looks bad. even in that case, which you wont find because in order for the lower pecs to be massive the upper pecs would have to have gotten worked pretty good as well, the dudes pecs wouldnt look ugly, they just wouldnt look ideal when compared to the top bodybuilders.
Show me one top bodybuilder that spends alot of time doing decline presses.  You said yourself it s not a common practice.

What is your goal in bringing this up?
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

dyslexic

• Getbig V
  • baddoggy
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2010, 03:41:24 PM »
I can't find any anatomy charts that show separate "upper" and "lower" pectoral musculature...

Man boobs are where it's at.

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2010, 08:31:46 PM »
Show me one top bodybuilder that spends alot of time doing decline presses.  You said yourself it s not a common practice.

What is your goal in bringing this up?
youll have to look pre-2000 for top bodybuilders doing lots of decline. know how guys always say that today's bodybuilders cant match the side chest pose of the guys from arnolds era? DECLINE PRESS.. nobody does it anymore.. everybody is obsessed with getting a "shelf" under their neck from a big upper chest.. that shelf sure does look good, but only if youve already got big pecs

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2010, 08:37:17 PM »
the decline press is always hated on. "nobody needs any more lower chest"- commonly accepted among alot of top competitive bodybuilders. the main funtcion of the pectoralis is to pull the arm down and across the body.   key word DOWN and across. out of all three bench variety, incline regular and decline, only the decline puts the arm's ROM directly along the path of the Pectoralis' contraction. anecdotally, the decline allows for the least amount of stress/weight put on the deltoid and makes it much easier to get a full and strong contraction in the pec.

heres a link to dorian yates giving a lecture on chest training..  check it out.. go to 9:20 for the section where he talks about decline press...  

http://mdtv.musculardevelopment.com/lifestyles/2010-md-spring-seminar/2660-gaspari-nutrition-presents-the-md-seminar-dorian-yates-chest-training.html

also starts at 9:20 here.. but it cuts off before he is finished

chaos

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2010, 08:49:18 PM »
youll have to look pre-2000 for top bodybuilders doing lots of decline. know how guys always say that today's bodybuilders cant match the side chest pose of the guys from arnolds era? DECLINE PRESS.. nobody does it anymore.. everybody is obsessed with getting a "shelf" under their neck from a big upper chest.. that shelf sure does look good, but only if youve already got big pecs

Not just that but the "side chest" has become the "side bicep", the chest is hardly the focus of that pose anymore.

Now I just did a quick google and I couldn't find any pics of Arnold decline pressing, however in this pic here I think you can clearly see that his upper chest is shelf like and the way he holds that pose displays a side chest.......does that mean he didn't do declines? No, but I doubt his chest would have developed any better had he done them often.  I found pics of him flat benching and incline pressing.

If you can find anything else on this, post it up.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2010, 09:19:39 PM »
Ive never liked decline and have always preferred weighted dips to them but I think i may add them in for my chest work out since I am limited in exercises b/c of my bad shoulder

Meso_z

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2010, 07:58:03 AM »
Not just that but the "side chest" has become the "side bicep", the chest is hardly the focus of that pose anymore.

Now I just did a quick google and I couldn't find any pics of Arnold decline pressing, however in this pic here I think you can clearly see that his upper chest is shelf like and the way he holds that pose displays a side chest.......does that mean he didn't do declines? No, but I doubt his chest would have developed any better had he done them often.  I found pics of him flat benching and incline pressing.

If you can find anything else on this, post it up.

If i recall correctly, Serge Nubret did a lot of decline work on his chest pressing-flyes precontest.

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2010, 08:57:33 AM »
The whole of the pectoral muscle structure (major-lower, minor-upper) are worked together when doing declines.The main focus and work load is put upon the lower (major) portion.  The upper pecs (minor) are receiving much less effort. Same thing with the flat BP, the lowers take over the main movement or function. The decline press is indeed underrated , but really not needed by most men. Unless they have a need for thick lower boobs. To hit the lower, inner and portions of the upper pec's the wide gripped dip may be preferred, in most cases..

How bad would that side chest shot of Arnold be if his upper (shelf) pec were flatter and less developed?  The reason that the upper pecs dominate when considering a superior looking total chest.

Body-M: Might try tbe BP to the neck (Gironda style) with a wide grip, elbows back. But have a training partner  (or safe stop's, etc) stand by. Not designed for heavy work, moderate weight suggested as this is a pure BB'ing movement. Go easy and light at first. Can also be done with DB's, with attention to keeping them inline with the throat/neck, elbows wide out. Can do these on a incline bench. Though too high an angle can shift the work load to front delts more than the pec's.  Pec Deck (with elbow pads, not grips held out), with the elbows kept high and inline with the head. Cable crossovers. bend at the elbows a bit. Crossover high to head position. The flat/inclines or knelling  version.  Front presses, or most any other overhead pressing, will hit the upper pecs also, but to a lesser degree. Good Luck.
F

vic86

• Getbig III
  • bring back the 80`s
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2010, 09:05:42 AM »
normally I have tried both lowering bar till chest and going further more till chin, My lower chest got a good pump after the second motion(almost touching the chin).Many a times few forget about excecuting the excercise in the right technique and stop half way during negative,but otherwise how many of you rely on Decline dumbell press?are dumbells really effective ?

dyslexic

• Getbig V
  • baddoggy
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2010, 09:46:04 PM »
I think folks here would be surprised to see just exactly what the pectoralis "minor" looks like, its origins and insertions. If you're thinking it's a big solid muscle group like the pec major, quads, or whatever, you are sadly mistaken.

Take a look:

JasonH

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2010, 07:39:35 AM »
Decline presses are indeed underrated - I prefer them to flat bench anyday. I also do decline flyes which are also good too.

Eyeball Chambers

• Getbig V
  • Would you hold still? You're making me fuck up...
« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2010, 07:52:11 AM »
My upper chest is over developed, I could set a pop can on it, my lower chest is non existent.  I started doing decline mainly on chest day, and I've gained chest strength like never before.  As far as I can tell it does everything flat BP does and more!
S

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2010, 08:28:36 AM »
Dy-Lex: I stand corrected to mislabeling minor and major.

Eye C.: your muscle inserts/bone leverage have a lot to do with the better development of your upper chest. Most of the stress is transferred to the upper potions. I'm guessing that you also have a higher rib box than most. For the most part, top benchers have better strength balance from the upper/lower pecs, anterior delts and triceps. And their all firing off as a almost equal  power unit when pressing.

As stated before, declines are an underrated movement. Most guy's find that regular chest exercises hit the lowers pretty well. If like Eye-C, if one needs declines than do them, but maybe not to the extent of over developing them. Good Luck.

Side Bar: one of my bud's ,who never workout in his life, tried benching for the first time. Put up 230 for a couple of rep's fairly easy. Got up off the bench picked up his 40oz and never was seen to bench again. Weighted  around 220-230 at the time. This was on a stiff, narrow exercise bar, not an Olympic bar. Some are born as natural benchers, most are not.
F

Nasty Nate

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2010, 08:30:11 AM »
Nasser did a lot of decline presses and flyes

Eyeball Chambers

• Getbig V
  • Would you hold still? You're making me fuck up...
« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2010, 08:54:59 AM »
Eye C.: your muscle inserts/bone leverage have a lot to do with the better development of your upper chest. Most of the stress is transferred to the upper potions. I'm guessing that you also have a higher rib box than most. For the most part, top benchers have better strength balance from the upper/lower pecs, anterior delts and triceps. And their all firing off as a almost equal  power unit when pressing.

As stated before, declines are an underrated movement. Most guy's find that regular chest exercises hit the lowers pretty well. If like Eye-C, if one needs declines than do them, but maybe not to the extent of over developing them. Good Luck.

I didn't know a part of getbig existed anymore where people were helpful and polite!   ;D

My chest and ribcage is shaped a lot like tbombz I think.  I remember a picture he posted a while back.
S