Author Topic: Decline press- most underrated exercise  (Read 40629 times)

WillGrant

• Getbig V
  • Ron is Watching
Re: Decline press- most underrated exercise
« Reply #100 on: August 15, 2010, 10:33:46 PM »
there is zero lat involvement during any type of press - incline, flat, decline.  the decline actually offers a greater range of motion if your bringing the bar down to mid chest instead of the sternum. 

let me try to get this point across once more for everybody..    the function of the pectoralis is to pull the arm down and across the body.
Sorry man you are dead wrong.
You need to forget function and what not that you are reading from a book,Sure its good knowledge but leave it there. Because of the angle of your torso the lats are engaged and assist with the lift this is a fact proven with EMG testing..hell doin chins puts load on your chest to but most think its a primary pushing movement that builds the chest mass.

As tommy has pointed out and what PLs have known for a long time build up your lat strentgh and this will help your bench as they assit in the movement , this is more so on the decline as of the angle of the torso its Fact.

FREAKgeek

• Getbig V
  • Fan of the Golden Era
« Reply #101 on: August 20, 2010, 04:16:21 AM »
I've come back from a layoff did bench presses with chains and gotten sore lats from it. I've gotten sore lats from doing wrist curls too.

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #102 on: August 21, 2010, 05:45:43 PM »
its always nice to know that getbig is still full of guys who want to make everything personal and resort to name calling, insults, and negativity when they feel they are being "challenged"...  :)

in your own post

Dont let facts get in the way dizzle  ;)

more proof that simply lifting weights doesnt mean you know anything about lifting weights...

http://www.texaspowerscene.com/articles/bodybuilding/benchpress.html

The lats in this case, act as an adductor by pushing the arm toward the midline of the body. The lats however, are thought to play only a very minor part in the actual moving of the bench press. They have been shown to be effective just prior to the bottom phase of the lift (Barnett, 1995)

"Many of us were probably unaware that the lats were even involved in the bench press. However, EMG studies do show that the lats are activated for a short period of time just prior to the start of the bottom phase of the lift. Robinson states "There is no doubt in my mind that the lats are used to help get the weight moving off the chest." However, while the lats are activated briefly in the pressing movement, it should be noted that this activity is considered to be very small when compared to that of the other muscles used in the bench press. In any case, the decline bench seemed to activate the lats much more that either the flat of incline positions.Also the wider the grip the greater the activation of the lats. "While the lats are not so much directly related to the push motion of the bench press, they are directly related to the stabilization of the torso," says Dr. Arria. "This is very important because greater trunk stabilization means that the dynamic load on the muscle is more specific.""

are front delts activated during curls ? are quads activated during rack deadlifts?  is your deltoid being activated when you jerkoff?     

muscles across the entire body start firing when you lift heavy weight, or even a light weight. just because they are firing doesnt mean your actually putting any real stress on them or going to cause them to grow/get stronger. the only muscle getting growing is the one getting a large amount of stress put on it.

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #103 on: August 21, 2010, 06:13:16 PM »
its always nice to know that getbig is still full of guys who want to make everything personal and resort to name calling, insults, and negativity when they feel they are being "challenged"...  :)

in your own post

are front delts activated during curls ? are quads activated during rack deadlifts?  is your deltoid being activated when you jerkoff?     

muscles across the entire body start firing when you lift heavy weight, or even a light weight. just because they are firing doesnt mean your actually putting any real stress on them or going to cause them to grow/get stronger. the only muscle getting growing is the one getting a large amount of stress put on it.

Um, you made this post............

there is zero lat involvement during any type of press - incline, flat, decline.  the decline actually offers a greater range of motion if your bringing the bar down to mid chest instead of the sternum. 

let me try to get this point across once more for everybody..    the function of the pectoralis is to pull the arm down and across the body.
Now you're changing your stance to the muscle "firing" but not being under "real stress".

I'm going to PM Wolfy and see what he thinks and if he'll join our conversation here. :)
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

benchmstr

• Getbig V
  • Raging drunk
« Reply #104 on: August 21, 2010, 09:45:55 PM »
Um, you made this post............
Now you're changing your stance to the muscle "firing" but not being under "real stress".

I'm going to PM Wolfy and see what he thinks and if he'll join our conversation here. :)
there ya go......wolf is the man...

....and tbomz is full of shit about that lat comment...

bench

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #105 on: August 21, 2010, 10:41:16 PM »
tbombz...proving time and time again that simply b/c you lift weights doesnt mean you understand shit about lifting weights... ::)

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #106 on: August 21, 2010, 10:52:43 PM »
its always nice to know that getbig is still full of guys who want to make everything personal and resort to name calling, insults, and negativity when they feel they are being "challenged"...  :)

are front delts activated during curls ? are quads activated during rack deadlifts?  is your deltoid being activated when you jerkoff?      

dont smart off to me you 2 bit tard...I started with a respectful tone and your the dumb ass that took the condescending dousche bag road...as a matter of fact I kept it respectful for many posts until you got to full of yourself

Who said anything about growing or targeting the lats? YOU SAID..."there is zero lat involvement in any type of press"

which is ignorant beyond belief as many here know the lats play a big role in bench pressing...

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #107 on: August 22, 2010, 01:01:35 AM »
in that context, "zero involvement" was not meant as literally zero muscle activity, but that the lats main function is to pulls the arms back and down, and its impossible for them to do any significant amount of the work when pressing a weight away from your body.  :)

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #108 on: August 22, 2010, 05:39:42 AM »
in that context, "zero involvement" was not meant as literally zero muscle activity, but that the lats main function is to pulls the arms back and down, and its impossible for them to do any significant amount of the work when pressing a weight away from your body.  :)

Dizzy,
I've always liked you, and I like a lot of your posts...
But, I can't say it's fair to presume that people would know your intended meaning of that statement without providing clarification.
Even I didn't get the take-home message until your explanation now.

Fatpanda

• Getbig V
  • One getbigger to rule them all.
« Reply #109 on: August 22, 2010, 05:45:27 AM »
who is wolfy  ???
175lbs by 31st July

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #110 on: August 22, 2010, 09:34:54 AM »

Dizzy,
I've always liked you, and I like a lot of your posts...
But, I can't say it's fair to presume that people would know your intended meaning of that statement without providing clarification.
Even I didn't get the take-home message until your explanation now.

its all good, thats why i just took the time to explain it  :)

NaturalWonder83

• Getbig V
« Reply #111 on: August 22, 2010, 10:07:21 AM »
mods
this thread started off kinda interesting-but taylors attitude is really bringing the thread down

i think u should close this thread down or just delete taylors posts so it doesnt get outta control
w

chaos

• Getbig V
« Reply #112 on: August 22, 2010, 10:08:37 AM »
Thanks for your concern gene, I'm watching the situation cosely.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

NaturalWonder83

• Getbig V
« Reply #113 on: August 22, 2010, 10:09:37 AM »
Thanks for your concern gene, I'm watching the situation cosely.
cool thx
w

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #114 on: August 22, 2010, 06:05:19 PM »
mods
this thread started off kinda interesting-but taylors attitude is really bringing the thread down

i think u should close this thread down or just delete taylors posts so it doesnt get outta control
  :-*

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #115 on: August 22, 2010, 07:30:47 PM »
LOL bro, I understand what you meant and youre still very wrong...

again do some research on this...

the lats play a big role in bench presses...

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #116 on: August 23, 2010, 05:38:53 PM »
LOL bro, I understand what you meant and youre still very wrong...

again do some research on this...

the lats play a big role in bench presses...
go ahead and try to get a big bench press and/or big chest by hitting up the rows, pulldowns, and deadlifts. let me know how that works for you.  ::)

p.s. you might want to go read the sections i enlarged from the citations you posted 

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #117 on: August 24, 2010, 12:39:07 AM »
go ahead and try to get a big bench press and/or big chest by hitting up the rows, pulldowns, and deadlifts. let me know how that works for you.  ::)

p.s. you might want to go read the sections i enlarged from the citations you posted 
LOL you dumb fuck...

try and go build a big bench by not having strong lats and see how that works for you....THATS THE FUKING POINT YOU TARD!!!!!!!!!

try and dispute anything anyone has said or do your own research... ::)

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #118 on: August 24, 2010, 10:00:52 AM »
LOL you dumb fuck...

try and go build a big bench by not having strong lats and see how that works for you....THATS THE FUKING POINT YOU TARD!!!!!!!!!

try and dispute anything anyone has said or do your own research... ::)

do my own research? try doign your own research first. copy and paste some article is not doing research. besides, the "research" you posted contained all the "disputing" necessary to prove wrong your notion of the lats as a major player in the bench.  :)

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #119 on: August 24, 2010, 12:07:11 PM »
Kinesiologist, and other teams doing research/study of muscle function, will apply a muscle/neuron blocking element to certain areas.  To observe the response or lack of response to that muscle area/group under a given performance. If one were to apply such an element to the whole structure of the lats/back I would very much doubt that any bench could actually be preformed in any acceptably matter. Or even preformed at all. Back/lats are the basis foundation for benching.  Even the ab's/hips/lower back are involved.

Another example would be if the 3 heads of the triceps were numbed/blocked than nothing much in the way of a curl could be accomplished. Opposite muscle groups work together as a whole for any muscle function. That's why isolation of any single muscle in near impossible. The physics of the body demands joint effort from opposing muscle group; point-counter point.

Focus on and making stronger the upper and lower back gives greater odds of have a very impressive BP. Even the press behind the neck can be a major supplemental exercise for just about every big bencher.

Sorry to disagree with tbomb but he seems to always want to prove a point of fuzzy logic over and over again. Anyway Good Luck with that.
F

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #120 on: August 24, 2010, 01:33:22 PM »
 i never knew that the opposite muscle of the primary mover gets a small amount of ancillary stretching/involvement.

mindblowing information!!!     ;D

lets make this just a little more simple for yall...   what % of the weight being moved during a bench press is being moved by the lats?  ;D

if you want to work your lats, do rows, pulldowns, deadlifts, pullovers, etc. pull the arms down and back. thats how the lats function. 

if you want to work your chest, bench press. oh wait, doesnt the bench build the lats? okay i guess tonymtones and jpm would both advise the bench press for lat training. follow that advise at your own risk..  ;D

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #121 on: August 24, 2010, 01:45:46 PM »
 ;D

i never said they were doing any lifting

agreed that again the lats dont lift the weight...

The lats however, are thought to play only a very minor part in the actual moving of the bench press.

while the lats are activated briefly in the pressing movement, it should be noted that this activity is considered to be very small when compared to that of the other muscles used in the bench press.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #122 on: August 24, 2010, 07:54:40 PM »
do my own research? try doign your own research first. copy and paste some article is not doing research. besides, the "research" you posted contained all the "disputing" necessary to prove wrong your notion of the lats as a major player in the bench.  :)
LMAO bro ya youre right...everyone else is wrong, youre right  ;)

you know often times when you find yourself the only one arguing a certain stance and multiple ppl are on the opposite side of the fence. Those are perfect times to stop, take a step back and reassess your stance with an unbiased eye.

Instead though you have seemed intent on doubling down on ignorance so ill leave it alone. Good luck dizzle in your future fitness related endeavours but please limit your willful ignorance to yourself and dont infect the minds of others...

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #123 on: August 25, 2010, 03:29:27 AM »

I'm going to PM Basile and see if he'll finally weigh in with his "real" secrets of hypertrophy that he's been trumpeting since 2004, but has never let on.

chaos

• Getbig V
« Reply #124 on: August 25, 2010, 05:23:47 AM »

I'm going to PM Basile and see if he'll finally weigh in with his "real" secrets of hypertrophy that he's been trumpeting since 2004, but has never let on.
No need Wolfy was a real big help. ::)

;D
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!