Author Topic: working around a ruptured bicep  (Read 2502 times)

NaturalWonder83

• Getbig V
working around a ruptured bicep
« on: September 17, 2010, 07:38:27 PM »
tues i had surgery to repair my ruptured left bicep tendon

its gonna be a few months till i can seriously train upper body

what exercises can i do to maintain my upper body?

obviously abs

what about shrugs on a standing calf raise machine where u shrug your shoulders up?

hyper extensions

any advice??
w

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
Re: working around a ruptured bicep
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2010, 08:08:29 PM »

obviously abs

what about shrugs on a standing calf raise machine where u shrug your shoulders up?

hyper extensions

any advice??

PT will tell you what you can and can't do.  Listen
:

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2010, 09:27:58 PM »
PT will tell you what you can and can't do.  Listen
He is PT. ;D
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

benchmstr

• Getbig V
  • Raging drunk
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2010, 09:38:03 PM »

Meso_z

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2010, 05:36:31 AM »

obviously abs

hyper extensions

any advice??

I think you should ask Lee Priest over at MD.
he had the same injury.
seriously.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2010, 07:22:59 AM »
When it happened to me I just concentrated on cardio.  Mainly fast walking on a treadmill.  The jarring of running would hurt my arm.  I really got my self in fantastic cardio shape.  When the cast/splint was removed I could run.  I found the fast walking program really made a big difference in my running.  Got down to a 6 minute mile.  That's 10 mph for a  mile.  I know that's nothing but I was in my late 40's when I ruptured my bicep.

I wouldn't worry about strength training other than physical therapy.  You could injury the repair.  When the doctor gives the okay, start super slow.  It took me 5 to 6 months to get back because of my complete rupture. If yours was a partial rupture repair you will be back faster.  If you think about it; a six month detour is nothing.  I think I was lifting  super light about 2 months after the operation. The first time I could do a complete pull up I knew I would be back soon.  Yes, it was scary to test the repair with a pullup.  I got my docs okay.

Use the time to get cardio fit.  When you start lifting your body fat will be really low.  

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2010, 11:42:33 AM »
:

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2010, 03:45:47 PM »
Physical therapist?
Personal Trainer......lol :D
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

thelamefalsehood

• Getbig IV
  • I love lamp
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2010, 06:37:24 PM »
When it happened to me I just concentrated on cardio.  Mainly fast walking on a treadmill.  The jarring of running would hurt my arm.  I really got my self in fantastic cardio shape.  When the cast/splint was removed I could run.  I found the fast walking program really made a big difference in my running.  Got down to a 6 minute mile.  That's 10 mph for a  mile.  I know that's nothing but I was in my late 40's when I ruptured my bicep.

I wouldn't worry about strength training other than physical therapy.  You could injury the repair.  When the doctor gives the okay, start super slow.  It took me 5 to 6 months to get back because of my complete rupture. If yours was a partial rupture repair you will be back faster.  If you think about it; a six month detour is nothing.  I think I was lifting  super light about 2 months after the operation. The first time I could do a complete pull up I knew I would be back soon.  Yes, it was scary to test the repair with a pullup.  I got my docs okay.

Use the time to get cardio fit.  When you start lifting your body fat will be really low.  

Agreed, I just did cardio and some light leg presses/leg extensions when I could. If you have been in the gym for any appreciable amount of time, your strength and muscle come back rediculously quick.Just be very careful when you do start back on pulling exercises, you have to relearn how to use your bicep properly.

NaturalWonder83

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2010, 06:38:41 PM »
ok
thanks everyone
w

nasht5

• Getbig IV
  • 903 squat 457bench 735 dead - "RAW" (belt & wraps)
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2010, 05:59:31 PM »
I ruptured my right biceps tendon at the elbow in 05 and the left biceps tendon in 07. physical therapy will tell you what you can and can not do. it will be weeks before you can straighten your arm, forget about doing shrugs! for a few months.
sept 10th APF

NaturalWonder83

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2010, 06:58:19 PM »
I ruptured my right biceps tendon at the elbow in 05 and the left biceps tendon in 07. physical therapy will tell you what you can and can not do. it will be weeks before you can straighten your arm, forget about doing shrugs! for a few months.

mine was at elbow too
they did a brand new surgery on me last tuesday-all i have is a gauze bandage over my incision stitches-the doctor is having me get movement back-ive been flexing, supinating, pronating, even straightening my arm already
its just tight-only thing i cant quite do yet is touch my fingers to my shoulder when flexing-but im getting closer day by day
w