Author Topic: Manwife  (Read 8873 times)

BayGBM

• Getbig V
Manwife
« on: October 27, 2010, 10:38:04 AM »
The other day I was having brunch with a casual (single) friend, and he asked me where my hubby was.  I told him he was at home doing the laundry.  My friend was surprised.  When he asked more… I told him my hubby does our laundry every weekend.  He takes away my basket of dirty clothes and brings it back with everything neatly folded including my shirts, socks, and underwear; he makes me hang up my own shirts.  He also does all the cooking (I do the dishes often but not always).  I do not come to the kitchen until I hear the phrase “your dinner is ready.”  If he is coming home late or going out of town, he will make my dinner(s) the night before so all I have to do is microwave it/them.  My friend seemed alternately surprised and envious.  He said I was “spoiled.”

I told him, I wasn’t.  My wife would do those things if I were straight, and I expected my man to do them as well; if he didn’t want to do them, I would replace him with someone who does.  The converse is also true; if he were not happy he could replace me with someone else.  I explained that there are plenty of men out there who are very domestic and specifically want that role.  He seemed surprised by this.  At one point in the exchange he asked, “what do you do for him?”  I said, “Let’s just say, I keep him very happy…” And I do.  ;)

Btw, my other half is not a stay at home house-husband; he is a Ph.D. with a very successful career of his own.

I throw it up to you getbiggers… am I spoiled or is my friend just jealous?

Butterbean

• Getbig V
Re: Manwife
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2010, 10:54:01 AM »
I don't know if your friend is jealous or not...could be...but you are definitely spoiled....but there's nothing wrong w/that as long as you're not spoiled "rotten."

My hub and I spoil each other....nothing wrong w/it if it makes you both happy.

R

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2010, 10:56:05 AM »
I don't know if your friend is jealous or not...could be...but you are definitely spoiled....but there's nothing wrong w/that as long as you're not spoiled "rotten."

I spoil my husband and he spoils me....nothing wrong w/it if it makes you both happy.

That was my thought. I do spoil him.  8)

powerpack

• Getbig IV
  • Time to get Buck wild!
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2010, 10:58:07 AM »
Seeing that this is a guy talking about another guy I am not sure what to say really
But you are spoilt, there are very few working woman out there who would do that for their man.

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2010, 11:02:49 AM »
That was my thought. I do spoil him.  8)

"Spoil" is a weird word the more you look at it/write it....but obviously it's about doing things that make the other happy.  Seems like maybe some people think certain actions might make them feel like a servant or something but many others don't feel that way and actually enjoy making the other happy. :)
R

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2010, 11:08:26 AM »
Seeing that this is a guy talking about another guy I am not sure what to say really
But you are spoilt, there are very few working woman out there who would do that for their man.

Yeah, seems like couples where each person works full-time would split the housework/cooking more evenly between them....so yes Bay is extra spoiled!  But if his friend enjoys his role it seems to work for them.
R

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2010, 11:18:08 AM »
I agree, “spoiled” is a funny word.  Put it this way: I keep him happy and he keeps me happy.  But I’m not one of those people who swears up and down that “we will be together forever.”  How many (celebrity) couples have you heard say that only to watch them break up the next month?  I’m not trying to be callous… only realistic.  The nicest thing we ever say to each other is “I don’t deserve you.”  We both say this on occasion when we are feeling mushy.

Tom and Nicole  "...on our honeymoon the rest of our lives"?  Not exactly.  :-[

Even for non celebrity couples like Laura and Mike love only lasts . . . as long as it lasts.  :-\

Sorry, didn't mean to go off subject. ;D

w8m8

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2010, 01:21:22 PM »

I don't think you're spoiled .. it's being who you are and having what you want .. with a partner who is also satisfied having the same privileges

Spoiled to me has a selfish connotation .. and seems more one sided

I don't think your friend was jealous either .. maybe a bit envious or surprised but not jealous

love is multi-faceted and complex .. and I believe that when it's gifted to us .. it should be handled with utmost care and complete respect .. it has no chance of lasting without a mutual emotional bond that feels equal to both people .. once any part of it is damaged it cannot be the same .. it can be repaired in ways but never restored to the original brilliance

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2010, 11:14:54 AM »
He is a sucker for fresh flowers... so i spoil him!

(not bad for a cell phone pic)  8)

newmom

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2010, 11:17:49 AM »

and as much as you appreciate what he does for you, I bet he appreciates those flowers

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2010, 11:20:30 AM »
They smell so good!  I can literally smell them from one floor up and on the stairwell.  Maybe I'm a sucker for flowers too!  :D

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2010, 03:12:39 PM »

I LOVE stargazers!  They smell so wonderful!  Pull the pollen/stamens off (like the one in the forefront) and they will last much longer.  Pretty arrangement.
:

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2010, 03:44:51 PM »
I love the stargazer scent, but I think the iris is my favorite looking flower.  The colors (blue/purple & yellow) are so bright and in such contrast! :)

Why would pulling the stamens off make it last longer?  ???

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2010, 07:48:11 PM »
I love the stargazer scent, but I think the iris is my favorite looking flower.  The colors (blue/purple & yellow) are so bright and in such contrast! :)

Why would pulling the stamens off make it last longer?  ???

I don't know, but that's what the professionals do.  Once that orange pollen starts to drop onto the petals, the flower discolors, dries up and dies quickly.  Plus, whatever that pollen dust drops on (furniture, cloth, etc), it stains yellow  :(  The stage they're at now, they will pull off easily and not make a mess.  Try not to let the dust fall as you're doing it.  I also trust that you recut the stems and replace the water (warm) every other day to make them last longer too.
:

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2010, 09:01:56 PM »
I was told to cut the stems and refresh the water; I didn't realize it had to be warm water, but I suppose that does make sense.  Still, if you have two or three vases of fresh flowers in the house... cutting stems and refreshing water starts to become a bit of a messy chore.  >:(

I wish you could smell this arrangement via the internet!  Ahhh!  So fresh!  Now, if only I could smell those flowers while sleeping on that $800 pillow!

Btw, I asked the florist if they had a program or discount for frequent buyers... they said no.  I was surprised!  Maybe I should go to a new florist!  >:(

Migs

• Getbig V
  • THERE WAS A FIRE FIGHT!!!!
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2010, 09:05:12 PM »
$800 pillow? wtf?

BayGBM

• Getbig V

Alex23

« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2010, 09:09:43 PM »
The other day I was having brunch with a casual (single) friend, and he asked me where my hubby was.  I told him he was at home doing the laundry.  My friend was surprised.  When he asked more… I told him my hubby does our laundry every weekend.  He takes away my basket of dirty clothes and brings it back with everything neatly folded including my shirts, socks, and underwear; he makes me hang up my own shirts.  He also does all the cooking (I do the dishes often but not always).  I do not come to the kitchen until I hear the phrase “your dinner is ready.”  If he is coming home late or going out of town, he will make my dinner(s) the night before so all I have to do is microwave it/them.  My friend seemed alternately surprised and envious.  He said I was “spoiled.”

I told him, I wasn’t.  My wife would do those things if I were straight, and I expected my man to do them as well; if he didn’t want to do them, I would replace him with someone who does.  The converse is also true; if he were not happy he could replace me with someone else.  I explained that there are plenty of men out there who are very domestic and specifically want that role.  He seemed surprised by this.  At one point in the exchange he asked, “what do you do for him?”  I said, “Let’s just say, I keep him very happy…” And I do.  ;)

Btw, my other half is not a stay at home house-husband; he is a Ph.D. with a very successful career of his own.

I'll be your part time "manwife" anytime Bay... weighting in an offer from Yelp right now so we might be moving back up...

;D

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2010, 09:13:33 PM »

I'll be your part time "manwife" anytime Bay... weighting and offer from Yelp right now so we might be moving back up...

;D

Don't come up here--or else! You've been warned... Slurp!  :P

Migs

• Getbig V
  • THERE WAS A FIRE FIGHT!!!!
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2010, 09:18:30 PM »
that's just crazy

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2010, 09:26:28 PM »
I was told to cut the stems and refresh the water; I didn't realize it had to be warm water, but I suppose that does make sense.  Still, if you have two or three vases of fresh flowers in the house... cutting stems and refreshing water starts to become a bit of a messy chore.  >:(

I wish you could smell this arrangement via the internet!  Ahhh!  So fresh!  Now, if only I could smell those flowers while sleeping on that $800 pillow!

Btw, I asked the florist if they had a program or discount for frequent buyers... they said no.  I was surprised!  Maybe I should go to a new florist!  >:(

The warm/room temp water is less of a shock to them.  If you don't cut them, at least change out the water and NEVER let the water get below the stems.

In this day and age I'm sure there are plenty of establishments that would want your frequent business and be willing to provide something extra.
:

Playboy

• Getbig V
  • If the bar ain't bending, you're just pretending
« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2010, 04:45:44 AM »
The other day I was having brunch with a casual (single) friend, and he asked me where my hubby was.  I told him he was at home doing the laundry.  My friend was surprised.  When he asked more… I told him my hubby does our laundry every weekend.  He takes away my basket of dirty clothes and brings it back with everything neatly folded including my shirts, socks, and underwear; he makes me hang up my own shirts.  He also does all the cooking (I do the dishes often but not always).  I do not come to the kitchen until I hear the phrase “your dinner is ready.”  If he is coming home late or going out of town, he will make my dinner(s) the night before so all I have to do is microwave it/them.  My friend seemed alternately surprised and envious.  He said I was “spoiled.”

I told him, I wasn’t.  My wife would do those things if I were straight, and I expected my man to do them as well; if he didn’t want to do them, I would replace him with someone who does.  The converse is also true; if he were not happy he could replace me with someone else.  I explained that there are plenty of men out there who are very domestic and specifically want that role.  He seemed surprised by this.  At one point in the exchange he asked, “what do you do for him?”  I said, “Let’s just say, I keep him very happy…” And I do.  ;)

I would think your friend is more envious of you. Its very hard to find a good partner who will go out of their way to do things for you and vice versa.

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2010, 06:35:37 AM »
I have cut the stamens off w/scissors..less messy than pulling imo.

Beautiful arrangement Bay!
R

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2010, 07:31:22 AM »
I have cut the stamens off w/scissors..less messy than pulling imo.

Beautiful arrangement Bay!

I think I'll need the flower trimmers used by the gardeners.  Scissors can work in a pinch but they aren't made for this specific task.  :-\