Author Topic: I saw a show about Japan...  (Read 8825 times)

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
Re: I saw a show about Japan...
« Reply #50 on: November 15, 2010, 11:01:23 PM »
That's interesting as hell!

We had this thing, where we met with Chinese business men.  We had a tall black man in our group, and all the Chinese flocked to him before they left to get pictures with him.
What, like he is some alien? God Damn, people are people...

Cy Tolliver

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #51 on: November 15, 2010, 11:15:18 PM »
What, like he is some alien? God Damn, people are people...

Yup, it was very awkward...  :(
TEAM LAURA LEE!

Parker

• Getbig V
« Reply #52 on: November 15, 2010, 11:16:14 PM »
maybe they were sizing him up for "'Rent a Black Man"

Firemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #53 on: November 15, 2010, 11:17:29 PM »
 Before the age of TV many Japanese and Koreans did not even know that black people existed on this Earth.

Totally true.

KevinP85

• Getbig IV
« Reply #54 on: November 15, 2010, 11:18:37 PM »
maybe they were sizing him up for "'Rent a Black Man"

Hahahaha...

The word "gaijin," is such a funny word for some reason :D

Hearing all this I don't even want to go to Japan, lol.

DK II

• Getbig V
  • Call me 4 steroids: 571-332-2588 or 571-249-4163
« Reply #55 on: November 15, 2010, 11:20:16 PM »

Japanese have a sense of manners that you don't stare at people, Chinese don't have that.

When i see Chinese tourists in Tokyo, they stare at all the Gaijin, point their fingers and so on. Chinese have a funny culture, all other countries would say they are totally rude. They spit where they go, i once got out of a plane with some Chinese guys and the first thing they did was gather round a trashcan and spit into it several times making loud gargling noises...  :-X :-X :-X

A lot of Chinese also have a totally different idea of hygiene....

Cy Tolliver

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #56 on: November 15, 2010, 11:22:52 PM »
Japanese have a sense of manners that you don't stare at people, Chinese don't have that.

When i see Chinese tourists in Tokyo, they stare at all the Gaijin, point their fingers and so on. Chinese have a funny culture, all other countries would say they are totally rude. They spit where they go, i once got out of a plane with some Chinese guys and the first thing they did was gather round a trashcan and spit into it several times making loud gargling noises...  :-X :-X :-X

haha, you know what else these chinese guys did?

They went into some gas station, and they purchased about 55 "Chewy Bars".... WTF  ;D
TEAM LAURA LEE!

DK II

• Getbig V
« Reply #57 on: November 15, 2010, 11:23:11 PM »
Before the age of TV many Japanese and Koreans did not even know that black people existed on this Earth.

Totally true.

Not true, at least for Japan. There were lots of Black GIs in Japan after WW2.
But it's true for China, even today most have never seen a black person in their lives.

DK II

• Getbig V
« Reply #58 on: November 15, 2010, 11:25:11 PM »
haha, you know what else these chinese guys did?

They went into some gas station, and they purchased about 55 "Chewy Bars".... WTF  ;D

Well, you should see how crazy americans are, i see them buy tons of green tea biscuits here...

Parker

• Getbig V
« Reply #59 on: November 15, 2010, 11:29:30 PM »

Hahahaha...

The word "gaijin," is such a funny word for some reason :D

Hearing all this I don't even want to go to Japan, lol.
But, you did...

DK, I think you said that the reason why there are alot of snaggle-tooth Japanese people is because the Japanese view dental different;y than Americans, we are more about the aesthetic appearance of the teeth, and them being white. Whereas the Japanese, as long as they are clean, it's okay. I've looked at several of those J pop magainzes, and the women look "good", but they have some Jagged Edge teeth.

Cy Tolliver

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #60 on: November 15, 2010, 11:30:13 PM »
Well, you should see how crazy americans are, i see them buy tons of green tea biscuits here...

haha, we've got an international store here...

I got about $25.00 worth of Poki, the strawberry is my favorite.  

;D
TEAM LAURA LEE!

KevinP85

• Getbig IV
« Reply #61 on: November 15, 2010, 11:34:48 PM »
But, you did...

DK, I think you said that the reason why there are alot of snaggle-tooth Japanese people is because the Japanese view dental different;y than Americans, we are more about the aesthetic appearance of the teeth, and them being white. Whereas the Japanese, as long as they are clean, it's okay. I've looked at several of those J pop magainzes, and the women look "good", but they have some Jagged Edge teeth.

;) They are some of the nicest and most polite people I've ever met, but from some of the people on this thread I guess if you live there it's a lot different than visiting.

DK II

• Getbig V
« Reply #62 on: November 15, 2010, 11:36:21 PM »
But, you did...

True about the teeth, but it seems to change gradually and it's also important what you want to do. I see more and more people on TV getting their teeth done, but for the normal people it's sometimes horrible what you see. Looks like a grenade exploded in their mouth.

But, if you want to go to the top celebrity-wise, you need good teeth.

DK II

• Getbig V
« Reply #63 on: November 15, 2010, 11:39:42 PM »

;) They are some of the nicest and most polite people I've ever met, but from some of the people on this thread I guess if you live there it's a lot different than visiting.

Isn't that the case everywhere?

Arab countries are said to be nice when you visit (and have enough money), but try to live there and keep you western standard, your wife wearing make-up, daughter running around belly-free and so on... you will get killed.

Also in the US, when you visit, everything is nice, but when i move there, don't speak the language, cannot read/write, totally misbehave everytime i get on the streets, i will have problems, don't you think so?

galain

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #64 on: November 15, 2010, 11:52:20 PM »

Yes - totally and completely 100% true! My dad was half Japanese and half Chinese. As a kid I'd have both grandparents telling me independently - "Your grandmothers people are all barbarians- they have no idea about manners or behaviour" vs "Don't ever forget, everything your grandfathers country has, we had in China thousands of years before. They stole Chinese culture and bastardised it!".

And sweet Jesus - my mother is New Zealander of mixed European background, but essentially a farmers daughter - both of the grandparents had a hard time with my dad bringing a hairy smelly farmers child into the family!

DK II

• Getbig V
« Reply #65 on: November 15, 2010, 11:58:32 PM »
What i think is that manners are a purely cultural thing, one thing you find good mannered is considered bad behavior in another country.

When in Rome, do as the Romans, i live pretty good this way. What i can't stand is people making their own rules or foreigners behaving like they are at home, no matter where they are from and where they are at.

I would NEVER live in some arab country, because i know i can't live by their rules. Same goes for Africa.

WillGrant

• Getbig V
  • Ron is Watching
« Reply #66 on: November 16, 2010, 01:15:43 AM »
I love the Japanese  :)

Parker

• Getbig V
« Reply #67 on: November 16, 2010, 01:40:10 AM »
What i think is that manners are a purely cultural thing, one thing you find good mannered is considered bad behavior in another country.

When in Rome, do as the Romans, i live pretty good this way. What i can't stand is people making their own rules or foreigners behaving like they are at home, no matter where they are from and where they are at.

I would NEVER live in some arab country, because i know i can't live by their rules. Same goes for Africa.

Americans are very open. We will let foreigners come here and criticized us to our faces, we even admit our faults. Hell, we even let people come here and blow stuff up? I mean, how tolerant is that?

I remember when I was at the YMCA as a kid during Summer Camp. We were all taking swimming lessons. This Middle Eastern lady comes in with her kid, and asks the instructor to give her son private lessons. The kid was in the water. The instructor says no, so they lady pulls her kid out of the water and they get back into her big body Benz...Private lesson at the "Y"?

DK II

• Getbig V
« Reply #68 on: November 16, 2010, 01:56:29 AM »
Americans are very open. We will let foreigners come here and criticized us to our faces, we even admit our faults. Hell, we even let people come here and blow stuff up? I mean, how tolerant is that?

I remember when I was at the YMCA as a kid during Summer Camp. We were all taking swimming lessons. This Middle Eastern lady comes in with her kid, and asks the instructor to give her son private lessons. The kid was in the water. The instructor says no, so they lady pulls her kid out of the water and they get back into her big body Benz...Private lesson at the "Y"?

Same in Europe.

What the west should learn from Asia is that these people are very friendly and polite, but also proud and they don't let any foreigner kick their asses around and tell them how to live their lives.

Parker

• Getbig V
« Reply #69 on: November 16, 2010, 02:18:20 AM »
Same in Europe.

What the west should learn from Asia is that these people are very friendly and polite, but also proud and they don't let any foreigner kick their asses around and tell them how to live their lives.
Unless you drop a couple balls on them...then they make cars and electronics that are better than yours...

webcake

• Getbig V
  • Not now chief...
« Reply #70 on: November 16, 2010, 02:23:28 AM »
I love the Japanese  :)

too asian for my liking...
No doubt about it...

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #71 on: November 16, 2010, 03:41:47 AM »
Yes, but this seems to be the case.

Japanese don't see themselves as Asians, they are Japanese. Hard to explain.

That would explain why they seem to have had no problem raping and ramming katana blades up defenceless Korean and Chinese women's vaginas...oh wait, that doesn't explain it. Say what you want about Germany and yes, they overdid the Vergangenheitsbewaeltigu ng thing but at least it was acknowledged that there was wrongdoing; the Japanese seem so out of touch with reality that they refuse to admit that they committed murder, rape, mayhem and general suffering throughout Asia (especially China, Taiwan and Korea). I think when you begin to see yourself as something or someone completely different from other human beings, the potential for monstrosity is mutilplied x100. Just my take and yes I know Japanese don't do things like that today...(except in hentai and film....).
I hate the State.

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #72 on: November 16, 2010, 03:48:46 AM »
BTW, I personally don't want to live in Korea ever again or (probably not) in Japan (only visited but I am too old to learn Japanese and their overcomplicated writing system) but I think there are still good things about these countries just like there is good stuff in every country. I do get tired of the fake ass smiles that Japanese use when talking to you (just be honest, you're in the UK, not in Japan) and when you understand a little about the culture then the fakeness is even more transparent....anyway, Sushi is a good thing and it comes from Japan....
I hate the State.

Lurker79

• Getbig III
« Reply #73 on: November 16, 2010, 05:47:17 AM »
I've lived in Japan for about seven years now, and so far the positives still outweigh the negatives, at least for me. Yes, Japanese are "racist" in the sense that their viewpoint is "Japanese" and "everyone else." I have no problem wanting to keep a unique culture, but their inability to understand and accept even half Japanese or second generation Japanese who come from overseas is maddening at times. Many Japanese that I talk to are convinced racism doesn't exist in Japan, because their concept of racism is blacks getting lynched, burning crosses or Nazis throwing Jews in concentration camps. When I tell them that there is really only one race in Japan, it does give them pause for thought.

Having said all that, Japan is a great place to live, if you can accept a few cardinal rules. As a foreigner, you will never, ever, ever, ever be seen as Japanese, no matter how good your Japanese is, whether you marry and raise kids or get Japanese citizenship. This is not necessarily a bad thing, because on the flip side, the expectations that Japanese have of each other do not apply to us. I work in the school system, so I see first hand how Japanese essentially become Japanese. As someone who was not raised in this culture it seems illogical and ridiculous at times, but it's what made Japan what it is today.

The people who end up hating Japan are the foreigners who come here with certain expectations, or come here because they like manga and think they are fluent because they can say "kawaiiii!" Learning the language is a big bonus, it's definitely helped make my life a lot more convenient and fun. I live out in the country, where no one speaks English. On a personal level, like anywhere, Japanese are very capable of having strong friendships with foreigners. It just takes a bit longer to get over some preconceptions they have.

And I must admit I do have a soft spot for Japanese girls  ;D.

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #74 on: November 16, 2010, 06:34:36 AM »
I've lived in Japan for about seven years now, and so far the positives still outweigh the negatives, at least for me. Yes, Japanese are "racist" in the sense that their viewpoint is "Japanese" and "everyone else." I have no problem wanting to keep a unique culture, but their inability to understand and accept even half Japanese or second generation Japanese who come from overseas is maddening at times. Many Japanese that I talk to are convinced racism doesn't exist in Japan, because their concept of racism is blacks getting lynched, burning crosses or Nazis throwing Jews in concentration camps. When I tell them that there is really only one race in Japan, it does give them pause for thought.

Having said all that, Japan is a great place to live, if you can accept a few cardinal rules. As a foreigner, you will never, ever, ever, ever be seen as Japanese, no matter how good your Japanese is, whether you marry and raise kids or get Japanese citizenship. This is not necessarily a bad thing, because on the flip side, the expectations that Japanese have of each other do not apply to us. I work in the school system, so I see first hand how Japanese essentially become Japanese. As someone who was not raised in this culture it seems illogical and ridiculous at times, but it's what made Japan what it is today.

The people who end up hating Japan are the foreigners who come here with certain expectations, or come here because they like manga and think they are fluent because they can say "kawaiiii!" Learning the language is a big bonus, it's definitely helped make my life a lot more convenient and fun. I live out in the country, where no one speaks English. On a personal level, like anywhere, Japanese are very capable of having strong friendships with foreigners. It just takes a bit longer to get over some preconceptions they have.

And I must admit I do have a soft spot for Japanese girls  ;D.

One thing I don't like about the Japanese is the Tatemae fakeness...here in London I meet Japanese people and I know their smile is about as real as Santa Claus...I don't even want to talk to them because they are so fake. I mean, if you are in the West you can stop pretending you are nice and friendly to everyone because they are not in Japan anymore. I guess if you have ZERO clue about Japanese culture it is a nice thing but it just irks me...
I hate the State.