Author Topic: Herniated disc  (Read 12067 times)

Alex23

Re: Herniated disc
« Reply #50 on: March 14, 2011, 08:45:37 PM »
Its called a McKenzie exercise (if I am understanding you correctly).  The adjusting, the stim, even the inversion table are things I recommend for patients that come into my office.  Sad thing is that some want that 0 - 60mph cure....

Yes!!!!!!

worked for me; I could actually feel the nerve pathways freeing up as I got better and better.

Took me about 4 month to recover to a point of being able to feel good about every day activities.

Thank you Dr KrackThemSpines  ;D

Adjust/Align/break scar tissues POSITIVELY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Krankenstein

• Getbig V
  • quit·ter : a person can't finish a task
« Reply #51 on: March 14, 2011, 08:49:26 PM »

I just had an MRI and X-rays. Couldn't take the pain anymore.

Ive seen Chiros, Orthos, etc, but never had an MRI.

Ive got: Slight Stenosis
Moderate to severe scoliosis  Whats the measurement of your curve?  Anything above 40 = harrington rods
Facet arthropathy
Foriminal narrowing
Spondylolisthesis congenital most likely....what grade?  If 3+, surgery is not a bad option
Spondyolisis basically means you got spurs on your vertebra...
Bulging Disc multiple, or just one?

Overall we are still in teh "moderate to severe" stages. It doesn't get better with age. You learn to cope and "manage" however you do. Could be a combination of muscle relaxants, exercise, Chiro, Massage, PK's... etc, etc. Stuff like this doesnt' just "go away"- the weardown continues just as it does with anything.

I have recommended this to a few of my patients too.  Its not cheap, but its effective : http://www.backrevolution.com/

The glute/ham can be done on a physio ball....actually Poliquin talks about how Louie Simmons (I think) had people do this with back pain...and it helped them.

Havenbull

• Getbig IV
  • Damn it
« Reply #52 on: March 14, 2011, 08:50:37 PM »
Had a pinched scyatic nerve May of last year from a hernia between the L4 and L5 root... one of the worst pains ever... right leg went painfully numb.  I was cringing prone on a floor in a doctors office.  Couldn't drive... couldn't work... After a script for muscle relaxers (cyclo), tramadol, and Vicadin (last of which I chewed so it would absorb faster), I got an MRI and of course it told me what I already new...

I did contraction / relaxation stretching with a PT... It helped a lot... avoided leg exercises for nearly 6 months.

Now I am back to heavy squating (375 x 6) and sprinting / jogging.  I totally avoid hamstring exercised like seated leg curls and prone leg curles.  Seated leg curls may have started this problem a year ago....

What triggered the event was Stiff Legged Deadlifts... avoid them at all costs... I don't see a benefit.

My right foot seemed like it was 75% numb for 6 more months... pretty good now, by maybe 2% numb still...

Things always get better...  I was 33 when it happened...

Alex23

« Reply #53 on: March 14, 2011, 09:16:28 PM »
Had a pinched scyatic nerve May of last year from a hernia between the L4 and L5 root... one of the worst pains ever... right leg went painfully numb.  I was cringing prone on a floor in a doctors office.  Couldn't drive... couldn't work... After a script for muscle relaxers (cyclo), tramadol, and Vicadin (last of which I chewed so it would absorb faster), I got an MRI and of course it told me what I already new...

I did contraction / relaxation stretching with a PT... It helped a lot... avoided leg exercises for nearly 6 months.

Now I am back to heavy squating (375 x 6) and sprinting / jogging.  I totally avoid hamstring exercised like seated leg curls and prone leg curles.  Seated leg curls may have started this problem a year ago....

What triggered the event was Stiff Legged Deadlifts... avoid them at all costs... I don't see a benefit.

My right foot seemed like it was 75% numb for 6 more months... pretty good now, by maybe 2% numb still...

Good to hear you're feeling better HaveaRedBull... ;D

you're definitely up to something with the seated leg curl... hamstring are definitely a culprit in many cases.. strong hams imbalance will throw away your posture, mess up your piriformis which is often the cause of lumbar misalignment and even nerve inflammation as the sciatic run right next to it; tension can inflame the nerve to the point of numbness...

You overcome = inspiring to all of us.

Don't give up Tacobell, you will recover.

GodSpeed.

Krankenstein

• Getbig V
« Reply #54 on: March 14, 2011, 10:08:23 PM »
Had a pinched scyatic nerve May of last year from a hernia between the L4 and L5 root... one of the worst pains ever... right leg went painfully numb.  I was cringing prone on a floor in a doctors office.  Couldn't drive... couldn't work... After a script for muscle relaxers (cyclo), tramadol, and Vicadin (last of which I chewed so it would absorb faster), I got an MRI and of course it told me what I already new...

Now I am back to heavy squating (375 x 6) and sprinting / jogging.  I totally avoid hamstring exercised like seated leg curls and prone leg curles.  Seated leg curls may have started this problem a year ago....

See, most people think that whatever exercise they were doing when the "incident" occurred is the culprit.  Far from likely.  Think of a stacking weights on a board over two saw horses.  Is it the initial 10lbs, 100lbs, or 200lbs on it that breaks the board?  Nope, its that one final pound that exceeds the boards tolerance causing it to break.  During the time that you are adding weight, the boards "fibers" start breaking down.  You hear it creak, and sometimes crack...yet you still add more weight.  This is so much like peoples low back.  The "I had some low back pain, but it went away after a while" thing sets them up for failure later.  Sure the body is great at healing but sometimes you need to aid that healing with adjunct things (ice, stim, stretching, adjustment, etc). 

Think of this...more fibers of the hamstring complex insert into the sacro-tuberous ligament....tight hamstrings pull on ligament, that stress offsets the waythe sacrum articulates, guess what resides on top of sacrum?  Mr. L5  The L5 disc is the most common disc to fail (in school they say L5 - born to fail).  You can be asymptomatic for a bulge/protrusion.  The reason distraction/traction machines are good is that they reintroduce imbibation into the spinal joints (the pumping action that helps discs stay healthy).  I wish I would have done a few things myself early in my lifting life...my L5 probably wouldnt be as thin as it is right now.  All in all, I dont think I woudl avoid hamstring exercises...just woudl make more sure that they stay flexible...and not have overpowering of the quads.

Oh, if you can..get a foam roller for those IT bands and TFL....your legs will thank you!

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
« Reply #55 on: March 15, 2011, 05:00:44 AM »

Great advice here! (i have "spinal stenosis","Leaking Bulged,Pinching A Nerve Herinated Discs,arthritis "Facet Hypetrophy","disc desiccation" "congenital central canal stenosis",Lower Back Killing me (this pic was like a week or 2 ago) i been rushed to the ER Before (went to "go pee" in the middle of the night and just crumpled to the floor could not get up/move stand up....called 911 *laura to come "break into my house" and take me 2 the hospital..they say i need a back operation but i been doing like what Alex has stated/plus seeing a great chiropractor a couple times a week...and it's been helping!)

seriously mike eat alot of beans, your kidneys around your lower back are inflaming your spine

also eat alot of spinach

spin-ach= SPINE ACHE!

but you really need to eat alot of kidney beans to where your shitting 4-5 times a day
A

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #56 on: March 15, 2011, 05:36:18 AM »
Sounds like a bunch of slack jawed f a g g o t s  in this thread.

newmom

« Reply #57 on: March 15, 2011, 05:41:51 AM »

you're an angry fuck this am...

some sound advice going on in the thread

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #58 on: March 15, 2011, 05:43:49 AM »
you're an angry fuck this am...

some sound advice going on in the thread

Boo hoo, my poow wittle back hurts :'( :'( :'(

Krankenstein

• Getbig V
« Reply #59 on: March 15, 2011, 05:55:19 AM »
seriously mike eat alot of beans, your kidneys around your lower back are inflaming your spine

also eat alot of spinach

spin-ach= SPINE ACHE!

but you really need to eat alot of kidney beans to where your shitting 4-5 times a day

You seriously are one retarded fuck

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
« Reply #60 on: March 15, 2011, 06:24:45 AM »
You seriously are one retarded fuck

most retarted people dont care what you think
A

MB

• Getbig IV
« Reply #61 on: March 15, 2011, 10:33:49 AM »
The most important issue to watch out for is numbness in your legs, feet, & toes.  If the ruptured disc is left pressing on the nerves, get it cleaned up, or you will experience permanent nerve damage/muscle atrophy.  After everything is healed up, I would recommend front squats over back squats to keep your lower back out of the movement.  Also, ditch any deadlift movement.     

SilverSpoon

• Getbig IV
« Reply #62 on: March 15, 2011, 10:49:10 AM »
1)  Ditch deadlifts.
2)  Inversion table
3)  Foam roller.

3 months, and I am damned near cured of all back pain/stiffness.  Feels like my glutes/hamstrings are firing better.

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #63 on: March 15, 2011, 10:52:58 AM »
  Feels like my glutes/hamstrings are firing better.

pics or it didn't happen  {no homo}

Butterbean

• Special Guests
  • Getbig V
« Reply #64 on: March 15, 2011, 10:56:56 AM »
Well, just had an MRI and it turns out I have a herniated disc at L4L5.  Having an epidural tomm, but if it doesn't improve soon it will require surgery.  :-\ >:(

Anyone with recent experience with this shit?

Hope surgery is not required for you, but if so, the relief will be worth it.
R

Krankenstein

• Getbig V
« Reply #65 on: March 15, 2011, 11:06:33 AM »
most retarted people dont care what you think

Because most retarded people say things like you do and therefore should be placated like most do to you on here with a kind "Thanks nice Johnny"....followed by a pat on the head.

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #66 on: March 15, 2011, 11:07:26 AM »
My Aunt had a herniated disc and was in constant pain and couldn't walk.  She had surgery and as soon as she woke up she felt so much better than she had in a long time.

Hope surgery is not required for you, but if so, the relief will be worth it.

Thank God she didn't ask you to walk on her back!

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #67 on: March 15, 2011, 11:09:27 AM »
Because most retarded people say things like you do and therefore should be placated like most do to you on here with a kind "Thanks nice Johnny"....followed by a pat on the head.
You seem to know a bit about all this stuff. Are there a few exercises, a few palliatives, and perhaps a few correctives that you could recommend to all us sufferers?  Thanks in advance.

MORTALCOIL

• Getbig V
« Reply #68 on: March 15, 2011, 11:10:50 AM »

A herniated disc is nothing Calvin can't fix with a couple of bottles of vodka.

newmom

« Reply #69 on: March 15, 2011, 11:11:48 AM »

Thank God she didn't ask you to walk on her back!
;D ;) :D

Krankenstein

• Getbig V
« Reply #70 on: March 15, 2011, 11:12:56 AM »
You seem to know a bit about all this stuff. Are there a few exercises, a few palliatives, and perhaps a few correctives that you could recommend to all us sufferers?  Thanks in advance.

Everything people have said in the thread are things to help.  See a chiro....see a PT...see an ortho....do something proactive.  Last resort...surgery.  Get a couple of opinions too.  The mindset of "it will just go away" is what gets most into trouble.

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #71 on: March 15, 2011, 11:30:06 AM »
A herniated disc is nothing Calvin can't fix with a couple of bottles of vodka.

This.
LOL!!! ;D

>:(

It would be like one of those Wiley Coyote,roadrunner cartoons...you know when Wiley gets run over and ends up flat as a pancake ;D

Alex23

« Reply #72 on: March 15, 2011, 01:34:01 PM »
See, most people think that whatever exercise they were doing when the "incident" occurred is the culprit.  Far from likely.  Think of a stacking weights on a board over two saw horses.  Is it the initial 10lbs, 100lbs, or 200lbs on it that breaks the board?  Nope, its that one final pound that exceeds the boards tolerance causing it to break.  During the time that you are adding weight, the boards "fibers" start breaking down.  You hear it creak, and sometimes crack...yet you still add more weight.  This is so much like peoples low back.  The "I had some low back pain, but it went away after a while" thing sets them up for failure later.  Sure the body is great at healing but sometimes you need to aid that healing with adjunct things (ice, stim, stretching, adjustment, etc). 

Think of this...more fibers of the hamstring complex insert into the sacro-tuberous ligament....tight hamstrings pull on ligament, that stress offsets the waythe sacrum articulates, guess what resides on top of sacrum?  Mr. L5  The L5 disc is the most common disc to fail (in school they say L5 - born to fail).  You can be asymptomatic for a bulge/protrusion.  The reason distraction/traction machines are good is that they reintroduce imbibation into the spinal joints (the pumping action that helps discs stay healthy).  I wish I would have done a few things myself early in my lifting life...my L5 probably wouldnt be as thin as it is right now.  All in all, I dont think I woudl avoid hamstring exercises...just woudl make more sure that they stay flexible...and not have overpowering of the quads.

Oh, if you can..get a foam roller for those IT bands and TFL....your legs will thank you!

How about piriformis problems Dr Klickn'Spine?

Krankenstein

• Getbig V
« Reply #73 on: March 15, 2011, 02:49:32 PM »

How about piriformis problems Dr Klickn'Spine?

Little vague big guy....being that the sciatic nerve bifurcates (runs through) the piriformis muscle...any irritation of the piriformis muscle can potentially cause sciatica-like symptoms.  I remember reading something by Warren Hammer in "functional soft tissue release" that its his opinion that people diagnose things as being piriformis syndrome...when they really arent.

Here is what he says : http://www.kalindra.com/Piriformis/piri_hammer.htm

slate

• Getbig IV
« Reply #74 on: March 15, 2011, 07:33:21 PM »
Everything people have said in the thread are things to help.  See a chiro....see a PT...see an ortho....do something proactive.  Last resort...surgery.  Get a couple of opinions too.  The mindset of "it will just go away" is what gets most into trouble.

I actually disagree, while I was off work for many months when I had my second main episode  I was obsessed with reading the literature on the subject. When I say literature I say the stuff in the top scientific journals like Spine, Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery, Rheumatology, etc.

In the end this much is true according to evidence based studies-this is not theoretical stuff- it is the result of following up thousands of patients;

Most acute episodes of low back pain improve considerably/disappear within 3/4 months basically regardless of what you do. chiros are BS, PT is BS, Falcons peas are as good as all of that and cheaper 

Some episodes that have a clear cause as seen by imaging or even better from your symptoms, can be effectively cured by surgery (key hole, minimally invasive, slash that back wide open- whatever- difference between them is recovery time not long term results)

The remaining end up in chronic back pain, for which statistically nothing really works, again from the most expensive chiro to peas -statistically it is the same.

However that does not mean that it wont work in you case- say peas- after which you will swearing by the peas- problem is it wont work for 99% of comparable people. So someone else will swear by traction-  you can try one by one. Problem is some of them make you worse,not  better. So experimentation has costs.

If possible Learn  to  live with it and avoid heavy opiates since they will only work for a while, then fuck you up and stop working and u are addicted anyway

PS- i am amazed with all this Charo BS- For me it either did nothing or made it worse. There is no evidence what soever chiro is better than falcon's peas