Author Topic: I am in the market for a TV  (Read 7363 times)

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
Re: I am in the market for a TV
« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2011, 10:54:51 PM »
Go to a pawn shop, preferably one near a mall or a area known for heroin/crack usage...you'll find what you need for cheap...and possibly brand new...from the mall...

GroinkTropin

• Getbig IV
« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2011, 11:01:12 PM »
Mike, ask yourself what is more important, My credit which will influence your future. So, said T.V. will be used for video games and Blu-Ray movies....sigh....averag e Blu-Ray movie runs around $20 and the average Video Game runs around $65 including tax. So, how about cutting those out and use the money that you spend on movies, Video Games,..etc. paying your old debts?  ???

You claim that you know....do you know that every day that you ignore or stop paying your bills that you will become even more in debt.  :-\ Now, i understand that you wanna watch Blu-Ray movies, so how about joining Net Flix and only paying about $8 a month.  8)

You fail to realize that part of the reason collection agencies will settle is because they pay pennies on the dollar. And I have suffered enough to offset the settlement. What I mean is, you get to settle for less because the shit credit score is a bad punishment in and of itself, you cannot do anything with bad credit! Unless you have a good source of income, which as a full time student I do not have.

GroinkTropin

• Getbig IV
« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2011, 11:01:53 PM »
Go to a pawn shop, preferably one near a mall or a area known for heroin/crack usage...you'll find what you need for cheap...and possibly brand new...from the mall...

Is this a reliable way to get a tv? And I live in the bay area, any suggestions where to go?

Jadeveon Clowney

• Getbig V
  • The life is like a case of chocolate bonbon.
« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2011, 11:02:34 PM »
I hope you're not majoring in political science, english, spanish or some shit like that.

GroinkTropin

• Getbig IV
« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2011, 11:03:42 PM »
I hope you're not majoring in political science, english, spanish or some shit like that.

No sir. Not going to say, though I will say a very intelligent poster on this very forum helped me find my way.

Doug_Steele

• Getbig V
  • I'm totally Brolic, bro!
« Reply #30 on: April 26, 2011, 11:05:46 PM »
You fail to realize that part of the reason collection agencies will settle is because they pay pennies on the dollar. And I have suffered enough to offset the settlement. What I mean is, you get to settle for less because the shit credit score is a bad punishment in and of itself, you cannot do anything with bad credit! Unless you have a good source of income, which as a full time student I do not have.

How have you suffered? What, phone calls from them asking where there money is at? I think i understand you now....you are thinking that with the economy down, you will pay much less then what you owe, correct? What is your current occupation? Do you live on your own or with parents?  ??? I am pretty sure that they cannot call you on your cell, am i right?  ???
D

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
« Reply #31 on: April 26, 2011, 11:06:45 PM »
Is this a reliable way to get a tv? And I live in the bay area, any suggestions where to go?
to some it is...I don't live in the bay area, contact tbombz on which areas...

Many times addicts will steal from electronics stores (and people's house) and pawn the goods at the local pawn shop...many times the said TV is still in the box

Doug_Steele

• Getbig V
« Reply #32 on: April 26, 2011, 11:07:12 PM »
No sir. Not going to say, though I will say a very intelligent poster on this very forum helped me find my way.

So, Bay helped you find your major?  ??? Dr. Chimps  ???
D

BIG ACH

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #33 on: April 26, 2011, 11:21:29 PM »

Panasonic has some great prices on Plasma (and great quality too) - they are one of the few companies REALLY pushing the technology!

Don't get a 3D model, in a few years there will be glasses-free models out!

If you were to get an LCD (or an LED), I would say Samsung or Sony!

And I personally think and LED with 120 Hz refresh rate would be best for video games, just my opinion!

BIG ACH

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #34 on: April 26, 2011, 11:23:37 PM »

And not to lecture you like everyone is  saying, but I would focus on paying the debt instead of getting a TV.

And god.. (not directed to you - cause you said you were paying cash), but NEVER ever ever finance a TV, hell... never finance anything except a house or a car (and a boat if you a living the dream)....

GroinkTropin

• Getbig IV
« Reply #35 on: April 26, 2011, 11:27:31 PM »
How have you suffered? What, phone calls from them asking where there money is at? I think i understand you now....you are thinking that with the economy down, you will pay much less then what you owe, correct? What is your current occupation? Do you live on your own or with parents?  ??? I am pretty sure that they cannot call you on your cell, am i right?  ???

I have suffered because I have to pay cash up front for anything that I buy. I cannot buy a car I cannot pay cash for, and can not lease most apartments. If shit hits the fan, I have only my savings as a backup, I can not live on credit for any length of time.

In all honesty I never realized what having good credit meant until I lost it. And my decision to only settle is based on the fact that one should never pay more than one has to. If you KNOW a collection agency will eventually settle, and can afford to wait, a smart man settles. They pay 8-10 cents on the dollar, just how much profit should I pump into these worthless fucks pockets?

Bottom line- a number of places HAVE agreed to settle, and I would have sent the check, yet they refused to provide for me a deal in writing. Also there is no point in paying a debt unless you know for a fact that the agency will report to the reporting agencies that you have paid, thus giving you back your good credit. If said collection agency refuses to provide a date, IN WRITING, that means they will report when they are good damn ready to do it. Could be years.

Point is- I want my deals in writing, and I want to know when I am getting my good name back, IN WRITING. The collection agencies seem to think anyone trying to settle must NEED credit and thus they have the upper hand, and they attempt to be assholes whenever they can be. They are scum trust me. If they would worth with me, I would have all my debt paid off already.

And FWIW I haven't had a regular job in nearly a year now as I am a full time student.

Firemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #36 on: April 26, 2011, 11:28:28 PM »
to some it is...I don't live in the bay area, contact tbombz on which areas...

Many times addicts will steal from electronics stores (and people's house) and pawn the goods at the local pawn shop...many times the said TV is still in the box

Tbombz doesn't live in the Bay Area.

He lives in Manteca, that's way out in the sticks, not real Bay Area.

GroinkTropin

• Getbig IV
« Reply #37 on: April 26, 2011, 11:28:42 PM »
And not to lecture you like everyone is  saying, but I would focus on paying the debt instead of getting a TV.

And god.. (not directed to you - cause you said you were paying cash), but NEVER ever ever finance a TV, hell... never finance anything except a house or a car (and a boat if you a living the dream)....

I have enough savings to afford both. Not that anyone is noticing what I am actually saying around here...

Doug_Steele

• Getbig V
« Reply #38 on: April 26, 2011, 11:39:11 PM »
I have suffered because I have to pay cash up front for anything that I buy. I cannot buy a car I cannot pay cash for, and can not lease most apartments. If shit hits the fan, I have only my savings as a backup, I can not live on credit for any length of time.

In all honesty I never realized what having good credit meant until I lost it. And my decision to only settle is based on the fact that one should never pay more than one has to. If you KNOW a collection agency will eventually settle, and can afford to wait, a smart man settles. They pay 8-10 cents on the dollar, just how much profit should I pump into these worthless fucks pockets?

Bottom line- a number of places HAVE agreed to settle, and I would have sent the check, yet they refused to provide for me a deal in writing. Also there is no point in paying a debt unless you know for a fact that the agency will report to the reporting agencies that you have paid, thus giving you back your good credit. If said collection agency refuses to provide a date, IN WRITING, that means they will report when they are good damn ready to do it. Could be years.

Point is- I want my deals in writing, and I want to know when I am getting my good name back, IN WRITING. The collection agencies seem to think anyone trying to settle must NEED credit and thus they have the upper hand, and they attempt to be assholes whenever they can be. They are scum trust me. If they would worth with me, I would have all my debt paid off already.

And FWIW I haven't had a regular job in nearly a year now as I am a full time student.

Who was the culprit for that? How do you live? I had to do the Full - Time student and work 40+
D

Firemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #39 on: April 26, 2011, 11:41:50 PM »
 Methyl Mike sounds like the type of guy who compulsively buys all the junk shit they sell around the cash register.

This guy needs an intervention. He isn't grown up enough to handle real money. Give him some monopoly money instead until he learns the ropes.

GroinkTropin

• Getbig IV
« Reply #40 on: April 26, 2011, 11:42:32 PM »
Who was the culprit for that? How do you live? I had to do the Full - Time student and work 40+

You aren't taking the classes I am taking or doing it in the timeframe that I am doing it trust me. Working is impossible.

When you can successfully juggle a full time job with o-chem calc 2 and bio 002 please drop me a line so I can officially proclaim you superman.

And for my path, I must get A's in my classes, no passing with a C bullshit. So yeah, if you think you can do it knock yourself out.

GroinkTropin

• Getbig IV
« Reply #41 on: April 26, 2011, 11:44:03 PM »
Methyl Mike sounds like the type of guy who compulsively buys all the junk shit they sell around the cash register.

This guy needs an intervention. He isn't grown up enough to handle real money. Give him some monopoly money instead until he learns the ropes.

I am a humble Christian, I hardly every buy anything. I do not own a watch and have the same jeans I bought three years ago. Try again...

BIG ACH

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #42 on: April 26, 2011, 11:47:27 PM »
I have enough savings to afford both. Not that anyone is noticing what I am actually saying around here...

Why are you buying a tv?  pay your debt!  lol  ;D Just kidding...  good for you for being able to do both!

Insignia 42" for $429

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Insignia%26%23153%3B+-+42%22+Class+/+720p+/+600Hz+/+Plasma+HDTV/9748831.p?id=1218166511573&skuId=9748831

It's only 720p, but its not bad for the price!

I used to have an Insignia TV at one point, and my current Blu Ray Player and Surround Sound are Insignia, no problems whatsoever!

Firemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #43 on: April 26, 2011, 11:47:33 PM »
I am a humble Christian, I hardly every buy anything. I do not own a watch and have the same jeans I bought three years ago. Try again...

Nice. You are saving 40 dollars on jeans by wearing some shitty 3 year old ones. And you won't spend 20 or 30 bucks on a watch.

But you will buy a 500 dollar TV. An item that is a shitty investment with low resale value. An item you definitely don't need.

Winning  ::)

If you were really frugal you would just spend 50 bucks and get an old tv.
What's wrong with that? Why do you need to get brand new? You trying to impress somebody?

By the way. If you were really a "humble Christian" you wouldn't be on a bodybuilding board like this, and you wouldn't be named Methyl Mike. You seem young and confused.

BIG ACH

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #44 on: April 26, 2011, 11:49:57 PM »

Even Better deal:

Sharp AQUOS 42" LCD 1080p, $499

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Sharp+-+AQUOS+42%22+Class+/+1080p+/+60Hz+/+LCD+HDTV/2380127.p?id=1218323449483&skuId=2380127

Why are you insistent on Plasma?

GroinkTropin

• Getbig IV
« Reply #45 on: April 26, 2011, 11:58:22 PM »
Even Better deal:

Sharp AQUOS 42" LCD 1080p, $499

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Sharp+-+AQUOS+42%22+Class+/+1080p+/+60Hz+/+LCD+HDTV/2380127.p?id=1218323449483&skuId=2380127

Why are you insistent on Plasma?

I am really not. I know very little about tv's, but I hear plasma's have much better blacks and refresh rates, though my info can easily be incorrect.

I want whatever is best for the money that I have, and that looks like a great deal.

Can anyone else chime in? This is a big purchase for me, I want to get it right.

BIG ACH

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #46 on: April 27, 2011, 12:05:17 AM »
I am really not. I know very little about tv's, but I hear plasma's have much better blacks and refresh rates, though my info can easily be incorrect.

I want whatever is best for the money that I have, and that looks like a great deal.

Can anyone else chime in? This is a big purchase for me, I want to get it right.

I've personally always been an LCD/LED man myself (and think I always will be)..

First of all how much sun light does your room bring in?... if it brings in a lot then Plasma is a bad idea as it will just get washed out and you're better with an LCD... if the room is pretty dim in general then Plasma is alright....

Plasma is definitely better in regards to the refresh rate, which means motion will be much more fluid, especially in fast action scenes and during fast moving sports!

The deeper blacks is a bit questionable, some new LCD's and LED's will smoke Plasmas with the contrast ratio, DARKER BLACKS and WHITER WHITES!  

LCD is a brighter Crisper picture, Plasma may seem a bit more dim (If you walk into a TV store you'll be able to identify the plasmas right away when hung up nex to the LCD's and LED's)...

LCD for the win!

Get the Sharp - its a good deal!

And as an FYI - my main TV is a Samsung 46" LCD 1080p, 120 Hz!

Firemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #47 on: April 27, 2011, 12:07:30 AM »
I've personally always been an LCD/LED man myself (and think I always will be)..

First of all how much sun light does your room bring in?... if it brings in a lot then Plasma is a bad idea as it will just get washed out and you're better with an LCD... if the room is pretty dim in general then Plasma is alright....

Plasma is definitely better in regards to the refresh rate, which means motion will be much more fluid, especially in fast action scenes and during fast moving sports!

The deeper blacks is a bit questionable, some new LCD's and LED's will smoke Plasmas with the contrast ratio, DARKER BLACKS and WHITER WHITES!  

LCD is a brighter Crisper picture, Plasma may seem a bit more dim (If you walk into a TV store you'll be able to identify the plasmas right away when hung up nex to the LCD's and LED's)...

LCD for the win!

Why are you encouraging the kid to waste his money? You should be talking him out of it.

BIG ACH

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #48 on: April 27, 2011, 12:08:25 AM »
Why are you encouraging the kid to waste his money? You should be talking him out of it.

Dude says he can afford both paying off his debt and buying a TV?

Not my business to judge him.  Nor am I encouraging.... he wanted advice on a TV, and I'm giving him advice on a TV

GroinkTropin

• Getbig IV
« Reply #49 on: April 27, 2011, 12:09:19 AM »

LCD for the win!

And as an FYI - my main TV is a Samsung 46" LCD 1080p, 120 Hz!

Where did you get your samsung and how much did you pay?

Sounds like exactly what I am going for. And the closer to 50" the better.