Author Topic: Question for the men  (Read 3637 times)

Butterbean

• Getbig V
Question for the men
« on: July 16, 2011, 07:24:48 AM »
How long on average can you listen to someone tell you a story before your mind starts to wander or shut off?

Assuming the subject matter affects your attention span, please list a few subjects in order of your ability to listen.

R

nasht5

• Getbig IV
  • 903 squat 457bench 735 dead - "RAW" (belt & wraps)
Re: Question for the men
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2011, 08:54:30 AM »
first off, take into consideration the story they tell to setup the story.... if the story to setup the story takes more than 60sec then I'm already done.

..... what was your question? ???
sept 10th APF

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2011, 09:42:48 AM »
first off, take into consideration the story they tell to setup the story.... if the story to setup the story takes more than 60sec then I'm already done.

..... what was your question? ???

lol!
R

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2011, 11:11:53 AM »
About 30 minutes to an hour.  I think active listening helps, where you repeat some of the things they've said, sometimes in your own words. 

Arguably the best book I've ever read outside of the Bible (Covey's "Seven Habits") has a chapter that says:  "seek first to understand, then to be understood."  I repeat the "seek first to understand" phrase quite often (to myself) when I'm listening to someone, especially when I disagree with what they're saying. 

Wait . . . you're not talking about spouses, right?   :D

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2011, 12:51:20 PM »
How long on average can you listen to someone tell you a story before your mind starts to wander or shut off?

Assuming the subject matter affects your attention span, please list a few subjects in order of your ability to listen.

LOL.........seconds. ;D
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Andy Griffin

• Getbig V
  • I know my own name, bitch.
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2011, 03:17:06 PM »

Depends on the time of day, if I have any serious issues going on, etc.

One thing that bores me more than almost anything is someone giving every detail of a dream he or she had. 
~

outby43

• Getbig IV
  • Libertarians 2016
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2011, 04:55:02 PM »
Under a minute for sure and that is IF I am interested.  I think it is a lot worse now because we are in this age of point and click, scan for interests, click, scan, read short posts, click.  Our attention spans are decreasing due to the amount of stimuli we have around us now.  Back in the old days a guy could watch the grass grow.

freespirit

• Getbig V
  • Revolt!
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2011, 12:11:02 AM »
Most people have nothing to say. They produce only noise. Fuck that.  >:(

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2011, 03:37:16 AM »
Depends on if they are laughing or not...

newmom

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2011, 03:42:08 AM »
LOL.........seconds. ;D

she's talking about something else

;D

Migs

• Getbig V
  • THERE WAS A FIRE FIGHT!!!!
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2011, 04:13:37 PM »
hard to say.  Depends on the subject but after two minutes if the story or convo sucks, i've checked out, rung for the porter, caled the cab and printed out my e-ticket. 

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2011, 08:47:21 PM »
LOL @ all this "pay attention and listen to me" crap, men start talking about cars, bikes, guns, farts and women immediately go into a coma. ::)
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2011, 07:26:06 AM »

Wait . . . you're not talking about spouses, right?   :D

haha...yes and women in general.

men start talking about cars, bikes, guns, farts and women immediately go into a coma. ::)

:)
R

Migs

• Getbig V
  • THERE WAS A FIRE FIGHT!!!!
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2011, 06:12:07 PM »
most wmoen talk to just hear themselves.  I've hung out with my guy friends and during periods of hours barely talked but still had a great time.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2011, 10:38:37 AM »
haha...yes and women in general.

Ok.  Same answer, unless the story is something historical that involves me (i.e., nagging), in which case I hear Charlie Brown's teacher after about a minute or two.   :)

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2011, 01:13:20 AM »

Subject matter isn't the only thing that holds my attention. If the story teller is animated and interesting they can make any subject worth listening to. If however, someone starts telling me a story when I am already engaged in something else, I may not give it my full attention. I like to think I can multitask and get a kick out of proving it. Sometimes when my wife thinks I am not listening to her, she will ask me a question about what she previously said....more often than not I know the answer. However, it is still rude to not give someone your full attention. Sometimes I can be rude.

The Italian Lifter

• Getbig IV
  • I need an English dictionary!
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2011, 05:44:56 AM »

in all seriouseness it depends on how hot is the girl: if she's not hot i'll just be more sincere with her and don't give a fuck; if she's hot i try to listen and nod here and there
North of Italy