Author Topic: Christmas Dinner  (Read 6168 times)

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
Christmas Dinner
« on: December 21, 2011, 11:34:49 PM »
What are you having or making?

I'm making Sauerbraten (it's marinading now), spaetzle, red cabbage, & roasted broccoli w/parmesan.  Haven't decided if I should repeat the pecan praline angel food cake or make a apple/pear crisp.

Any thoughts Migs?
:

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
Re: Christmas Dinner
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2011, 01:32:13 AM »
Bought a prime rib roast for Christmas dinner. Haven't decided what we'll have with it. I'm hoping my wife and daughter will come up with something. Of course our daughter will be eating only the sides because she doesn't eat meat. Good thing her huband and son do. I don't think she'd fix them a prime rib roast, so it should be a  real treat for them.

I'm open to hearing any good roasting ideas. Our ovens can roast on convection, I may do that with the probe to insure the meat is cooked to just the right temperature with a little crunch to the outside.

Our son-in-law just arrived about a half hour ago. He's home on a two week leave from Afghanistan. He's been flying from airport to airport since the 18th of this month. All is quite now, I think they went to bed.  ;)

newmom

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2011, 04:15:46 AM »
turkey, mashed potatoes, pops is making his salad (I'll try and load up on that). Asparagus. Pretty simple. Mom is making brie cheese in pastry (gross). For light lunch that day I'm making lumpia and scallops wrapped in bacon

w8m8

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2011, 05:02:30 AM »
What are you having or making?

I'm making Sauerbraten (it's marinading now), spaetzle, red cabbage, & roasted broccoli w/parmesan.  Haven't decided if I should repeat the pecan praline angel food cake or make a apple/pear crisp.

Any thoughts Migs?

Love apple/pear combo anything

I make apple pear sauce instead of apple alone

Bought a prime rib roast for Christmas dinner. 

I'm open to hearing any good roasting ideas.Our ovens can roast on convection, I may do that with the probe to insure the meat is cooked to just the right temperature with a little crunch to the outside.

Migs is a chef ... Princess and Butter are also great cooks .. I'm sure they will have done Prime Ribs before

I've never used a convection oven and have no clue what they do differently than regular ovens TBH

The sear/crunch on the outside is the best part .. I like very rare beef

turkey, mashed potatoes, pops is making his salad (I'll try and load up on that). Asparagus. Pretty simple. Mom is making brie cheese in pastry (gross). For light lunch that day I'm making lumpia and scallops wrapped in bacon

what's in the salad ?

LOVE asparagus

What are you putting in the lumpia ?

YUM .. bacon wrapped scallops are DIVINE !!!

newmom

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2011, 06:00:49 AM »

what's in the salad ?

LOVE asparagus

Oh he makes a heavenly salad. Greens, zucchini, broccoli, cauliflower, onions, tomatoes, cukes, spices (not sure what). Totally healthy

Lumpia I make, just ground meat cooked with Worcestershire sauce, carrots and onions a tad of soy sauce. Place little over a tsp of the mixture in wonton wrapper then fry to a nice golden brown...

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2011, 07:46:50 AM »
Very diff. than the Thanksgiving meal

Ham
 Potatoes
Salad
Rolls
(no cp soup this time!)

Deviled eggs
 Beans
Pie

Prime, I have made Prime Rib Roast a few times a long time ago.  I do have a recipe that was very good but it caused smoke in my kitchen (I don't have a hood thing) so I don't make it anymore...If I remember correctly, you start the oven out very high ..~500+ and then turn it down.  If you want I will look for the recipe for you...it's in the huge messy pile of torn out recipes but I will look for it if you want! >:( ;D

Moms, never heard of Lumpia....may change my name to that.
R

newmom

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2011, 07:48:28 AM »

It's filipino eggroll basically. SOOOO good

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2011, 07:49:18 AM »
Looks kind of good if I'm in a fried mood...any dipping sauce?
R

newmom

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2011, 07:50:29 AM »
Looks kind of good if I'm in a fried mood...any dipping sauce?

I don't use it but I usually make a spicy thai peanut or curry..

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2011, 09:01:47 AM »

I make apple pear sauce instead of apple alone

Migs is a chef ... Princess and Butter are also great cooks .. I'm sure they will have done Prime Ribs before

I've never used a convection oven and have no clue what they do differently than regular ovens TBH

what's in the salad ?

LOVE asparagus

Well then; the pear/apple crisp it is!

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/pear-apple-and-cranberry-crisp-recipe/index.html

I've never done a prime rib (can't get past all that fat)  :-X  but if Ina Garten (Barefoot Contessa) has a recipe out there, it is sure to be awesome.

It's filipino eggroll basically. SOOOO good

The name made me think it was some sort of crab dish.

That reminds me.  I have a bunch of those things in the freezer.  Every year the church has a egg roll sale and my husband buys a bunch.  They're handmade by some local Hmong ladies.    I was trying to come up with a hot hors d' oeuvres for a quick cocktail thingy we have after Christmas eve service.  Thanks for the idea!!!

:

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2011, 09:04:54 AM »

I've never done a prime rib (can't get past all that fat)  :-X  but if Ina Garten (Barefoot Contessa) has a recipe out there, it is sure to be awesome.

Yup
Here it is

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/sunday-rib-roast-recipe/index.html

I love Ina  :)

I don't use it but I usually make a spicy thai peanut or curry..

Recipe please
:

newmom

« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2011, 09:44:46 AM »
Yup
Here it is

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/sunday-rib-roast-recipe/index.html

I love Ina  :)

Recipe please

Ina rocks.

I got the recipe from food and wine magazine

2 large garlic cloves
1/3 cup cilantro leaves
1/3 cup unsalted natural peanut butter
2 tablespoons peanut oil
2 tablespoons ketchup
1 tablespoon Thai green curry paste
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
1 tablespoon Asian fish sauce
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 teaspoon sugar

In a food processor, pulse the garlic and cilantro until finely chopped. Add all of the remaining ingredients except the lamb; pulse until a paste forms. Spread 1/4 cup of the paste over the lamb chops.
In a saucepan, whisk remaining paste with 1/3 cup of water. Warm the sauce over low heat; it should be pourable.

I sometimes make flautas for appetizers..easy and yum

Migs

• Getbig V
  • THERE WAS A FIRE FIGHT!!!!
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2011, 10:06:55 AM »
I'm deboning a chicken, then stuffing it with veal, turkey and ground chicken and roasting it off.  Then also making a beef tenderloin with a remoulade sauce.  I have endive salad with apples and walnuts.  Garlic brocoli florets, mashed potatoes.  I have the smoked salmon tray, cheese and fruit tray, assorted nuts and breads. I baked a trial run of some bread last week.  Then i have a tiramisu cake, gingerbread house (i dunno why), cinnamon swirl bunt cake, pecan pie, turron, pestinos and rosquillas.  I think that's all.

As for the prime rib, often times i go basic.  I like unadultered meat (no homo).  I will make it different ways though.  sometimes just olive oil, kosher salt and pepper.  Or i will cut slit and stuff garlic and rosemary in it.  I also like making an herb crust.  I generally crank it up to about 500 and then taper off the heat.  this gives a nice crust but it will smoke up the place as Stella has mentioned.  I have a hood but it still gets smokey.  I usually open the patio door to vent the place.  definatly use the probe thermometer. I also use a wire wrack to keep the meat from siting in the rendered fat and over cooking the bottom.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2011, 06:55:40 PM »

LOVE asparagus

Convection ovens blow the heat around the oven. This cooks the food faster and tends to give it a nice crust.

My wife likes to say I like the cow still mooing. I miss being able to order steak tar tar. Most restaurants aren't brave enough to serve it these days. My goodness, you and I are more alike every day....see, we both like really rare beef. Who knows what that could lead to?  :)

Asparagus is a great idea for a vegetable with the prime rib. Everyone here like asparagus and I make a really mean hollindaise sauce to go on it.

By George, I think I've figured out the menu for Christmas dinner. In addition to the above I will make Potatoes Anna and the traditional Yorkshire Pudding. I'll let my wife figure out the desert. She's made so many different nut brittles these past few days that any of those would be fine.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2011, 06:59:04 PM »

Prime, I have made Prime Rib Roast a few times a long time ago.  I do have a recipe that was very good but it caused smoke in my kitchen (I don't have a hood thing) so I don't make it anymore...If I remember correctly, you start the oven out very high ..~500+ and then turn it down.  If you want I will look for the recipe for you...it's in the huge messy pile of torn out recipes but I will look for it if you want! >:( ;D

If you can locate that recipe, that would be excellent. I do remember that I need to start out with the oven super hot. We have a down draft on the stove top, but if it gets really smokey, I'll have to open the kitchen door. I am really interested to hear about different rubs that might make for a yummy crust on the meat.

Migs

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2011, 05:29:40 AM »
She's made so many different nut brittles these past few days that any of those would be fine.

she made my nuts brittle   ;D

what?! someone was going to say it, might as well have been me!

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2011, 05:28:24 PM »
she made my nuts brittle   ;D

what?! someone was going to say it, might as well have been me!

You have a dirty (but funny) mind.

I would venture if you tasted my wife's peanut brittle, walnut brittle or mostly her almond brittle, you'd not be cracking jokes about it. Not that I am offended or anything.  ;D

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2011, 08:03:19 AM »
If you can locate that recipe, that would be excellent. I do remember that I need to start out with the oven super hot. We have a down draft on the stove top, but if it gets really smokey, I'll have to open the kitchen door. I am really interested to hear about different rubs that might make for a yummy crust on the meat.

This doesn't have much of a rub but I remember it was good...I also don't remember how much of a "crust" there is.  Princess' recipe looks good too.

Simple Rib Roast
(High Heat Method)

4 1/2 pound standing rib roast
2 to 6 cloves garlic, smashed, peeled and slivered (opt.)
Kosher salt to taste
Black pepper to taste
1/2 to 1 cup wine for deglazing pan.

Place oven rack on the second level from the bottom.  Heat to 500 degrees.

Place roast in 14 by 12 by 2 inch roasting pan, bone side down.  Snuggle garlic (if using) under the fat and spread remainder under the meat.  Season well with salt and pepper.  Roast for 45 minutes.  With meat in oven, reduce heat to 325 degrees and roast 12 minutes.  Increase heat to 450 degrees and roast 15 minutes or until temperature reaches 135 degrees. 

Remove roast from oven and transfter to serving platter.  Spoon off excess fat.  Put pan over high heat and add wine.  Scrape bottom of pan with wooden spoon.  Continue boiling until liquid is reduced by half.  Pour in sauce boat and serve with meat.
R

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2011, 01:40:25 PM »
This recipe sounds good and it is easy as well. Interesting that you turn the heat down for 12 minutes and then back up again for 15 minutes.

I am going to buy the asparagus today, so it is as fresh as possible. Baby asparagus at our local upscale market is currently almost $7 a pound. Of course it is off season for fresh vegetables which probably accounts for the high price. Still, it is worth it since everyone who will be at the dinner table tomorrow evening likes asparagus. I'll get some good red wine at the same time for deglazing the pan and some more for drinking with dinner.  ;)

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2012, 05:46:21 PM »
How did everyone's turn out?

Mine kinda sucked  :( (IMO)  I really shouldn't experiment on friends  :D.  The sauerbraten was dry(roast too lean) and not sour enough, the spatzle was sticky and the pear apple crisp was soupy.  I did a repeat for New Year's with a few tweaks and everything turned out perfect.

:

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2012, 08:40:32 PM »
Everyone loved the Prime Rib, but I thought it was strangely tough and lacking in flavor. I used the probe feature on our oven to insure it was not over cooked and yet it was....again, this is in my opinion.

The Mandoline I bought my wife for Christmas this year came in really handy for the Potatoes Anna. I sliced the potatoes as thin as potato chips. There is so much butter in this dish that we all probably had cholesterol/fat alarms going off from eating it. They do make for a pretty presentation though.

It killed me to spend $7 a pound for baby asparagus. I ended up buying two pounds. Because getting everything on the table at once was a bit much for little old me, I let my wife make blender Hollandaize sauce. Unfortunately, it isn't as good as mine (but we will never tell Margie that).

I have never made Yorkshire Pudding before. I followed a recipe and didn't like the results. My wife makes much better Yorkshire pudding. She makes it is a cupcake tin as opposed to one big baking dish. Her Yorkshire Pudding comes out like tasty popovers. Mine came out looking something like a German Pancake.

As much as I stressed about making a great Christmas dinner, it wasn't the food that made it special, it was having our family and Friends share it with us that won the day.

Migs

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2012, 01:31:11 PM »
mine came out great.  Didn't have too many leftovers either. 

Migs

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2012, 03:31:16 PM »
where is everyone at?  I'm getting angry

YoungBlood

• Getbig V
  • Weee!
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2012, 04:29:26 PM »
where is everyone at?  I'm getting angry

Migs came too late again!

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2012, 04:33:02 PM »
I'm deboning a chicken, then stuffing it with veal, turkey and ground chicken and roasting it off.  Then also making a beef tenderloin with a remoulade sauce.  I have endive salad with apples and walnuts.  Garlic brocoli florets, mashed potatoes.  I have the smoked salmon tray, cheese and fruit tray, assorted nuts and breads. I baked a trial run of some bread last week.  Then i have a tiramisu cake, gingerbread house (i dunno why), cinnamon swirl bunt cake, pecan pie, turron, pestinos and rosquillas.  I think that's all.

Jesus!