Author Topic: Obama: "If You've Been Successful, You Didn't Get There On Your Own" - lmfao!!  (Read 44932 times)

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
"If you got a business . . . . you didnt create that . . . someone else did"

SLYY

• Getbig IV
  • A mug only your mom could love...

Obama stated, "...Somebody along the line gave you some help."

Obama's exact words:
-"Somebody helped to create this unbelievable American system that we have that allowed you to thrive."  (Our Founding Fathers)

-"A great teacher" (I assume that you are familiar with private schools, guitar teachers, etiquette teachers, etc.)

-"Somebody invested in roads and bridges"  (Are YOU the "government" 333?)

Wrong again.

Oh, and Romney agrees:

Romney's speech:
"I know that you recognize a lot of people helped you in that business. Perhaps the banks. Investors. There’s NO question your mom and dad, your school teacher, the people who provide roads, the fire and police."  

Next?

whork

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!

Seriously SLYY has owned your ass like 10 times in this thread why do you keep lying?

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
 :D

SLYY

• Getbig IV

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
Seriously SLYY has owned your ass like 10 times in this thread why do you keep lying?

Absolutely true

the only conclusion can be that 333 is just not that bright and really can't understand what SLYY is saying

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
Again, obama said - if you have a buisness, you didn't build that.   If he was even referring to the system we have here, he is wrong since the tax revenue generated by the businesses are was created and sustains the system since the govt has no resources without borrowing or taxing said businesses. 

so what ever meaning you place on obamas statement he is wrong.

SLYY

• Getbig IV
Again, obama said - if you have a buisness, you didn't build that.   If he was even referring to the system we have here, he is wrong since the tax revenue generated by the businesses are was created and sustains the system since the govt has no resources without borrowing or taxing said businesses.  

Asked...

Where does the govt get the $$$$$ to build roads and bridges?  

and answered counselor...(a few times now and by your own post nonetheless)

Posted on July 15, 2012

Obama: "If You've Been Successful, You Didn't Get There On Your Own"

PRESIDENT BARACK OBAMA: There are a lot of wealthy, successful Americans who agree with me -- because they want to give something back. They know they didn’t -- look, if you’ve been successful, you didn’t get there on your own. You didn’t get there on your own. I’m always struck by people who think, well, it must be because I was just so smart. There are a lot of smart people out there. It must be because I worked harder than everybody else. Let me tell you something -- there are a whole bunch of hardworking people out there. (Applause.)

1.  Somebody invested in roads and bridges.

2.  There are some things, just like fighting fires, we don’t do on our own. I mean, imagine if everybody had their own fire service. That
     would be a hard way to organize fighting fires.

Again, your question is answered by your very own post...in Obama's EXACT words.  Also, Romney agrees with Obama 100% on this issue.

Next?

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
Why "You Didn't Build That" Stings the Successful
by David Frum  | July 27, 2012 4:55 PM EDT

President Barack Obama addresses a crowd in the pouring rain during a campaign stop at Walkerton Tavern in Glenn Allen, Va., Saturday, July 14, 2012. (Steve Helber / AP Photo)

Jonathan Chait stirred up trouble today. Chait suggested a racial undercurrent in the reaction to President Obama's now-notorious "you didn't build that" comment.

Racial undercurrents eddy through everything, but I've got a more parsimonious theory about why the president's words in Roanoke, Virginia, on July 13 have jolted so many people—including many who are not usually prone to be ignited by the usual pretend outrages.

Compare & contrast the president's words to the now-famous words of Massachusetts candidate for U.S. Senate Elizabeth Warren, from whom he apparently borrowed the frame of his Roanoke speech.
Warren:

There is nobody in this country who got rich on his own. Nobody.

You built a factory out there? Good for you. But I want to be clear: you moved your goods to market on the roads the rest of us paid for; you hired workers the rest of us paid to educate; you were safe in your factory because of police forces and fire forces that the rest of us paid for. You didn't have to worry that marauding bands would come and seize everything at your factory, and hire someone to protect against this, because of the work the rest of us did.

Now look, you built a factory and it turned into something terrific, or a great idea? God bless. Keep a big hunk of it. But part of the underlying social contract is you take a hunk of that and pay forward for the next kid who comes along.
Warren is offering a single message: your success was made possible by the contributions of others, now you must contribute in turn. Nobody would seriously dispute her claim. We're just left to haggle over price: Should the successful pay forward 36% of their success or 39% or 28% or what.

Contrast President Obama:
There are a lot of wealthy, successful Americans who agree with me—because they want to give something back. They know they didn’t—look, if you’ve been successful, you didn’t get there on your own. You didn’t get there on your own. I’m always struck by people who think, well, it must be because I was just so smart. There are a lot of smart people out there. It must be because I worked harder than everybody else. Let me tell you something—there are a whole bunch of hardworking people out there.

If you were successful, somebody along the line gave you some help. There was a great teacher somewhere in your life. Somebody helped to create this unbelievable American system that we have that allowed you to thrive. Somebody invested in roads and bridges. If you’ve got a business—you didn’t build that. Somebody else made that happen. The Internet didn’t get invented on its own. Government research created the Internet so that all the companies could make money off the Internet.
Obama combines two ideas: the familiar and broadly acceptable idea in Elzabeth Warren's speech—and a second, much more destabilizing idea.
I’m always struck by people who think, well, it must be because I was just so smart. There are a lot of smart people out there. It must be because I worked harder than everybody else. Let me tell you something—there are a whole bunch of hardworking people out there.
Obama's second idea is that success is to a great extent random, a matter of luck. You think you succeeded because you were smart or hard-working? Listen—a lot of smart and hard-working people don't succeed.

This second idea is not original to the president, obviously. In fact, Friedrich Hayek often made a similar point, suggesting that a big part of capitalism's PR problems originated in the fact that markets did not distribute their rewards according to ordinary ideas of moral deservingness. Yet it's also true that we badly want to believe that success is earned and is deserved. A universe that distributes its rewards randomly is a frightening place—and even worse is the suspicion that success is often seized precisely by the undeserving. In the words of the old doggerel:
The rain it falls alike,
On the just and unjust fella.
But mostly on the just because
The unjust has the just's umbrella.
In this particular election cycle, the argument that the successful are almost by definition deserving and that the unsuccessful are correspondingly undeserving has exploded into noisy public controversy.

The president appears to have heard that argument, and it irks him. And when it came time to reprise Elizabeth Warren, he allowed pieces of his rebuttal to the claim to drift into a speech that was probably meant to adhere to the safer ground that she had previously staked out.

In Elizabeth Warren's version of the speech, taxes can be conceived as something like a fee. You want roads, police, a skilled work force, an uncorrupt judiciary, and a military to protect you from foreign invasion? Of course you do! Well, they must be paid for—and it is reasonable to ask those who benefited most from public goods to pay most for those goods. Again, we can argue about how much "most" should be, whether 28, 36 or 39%, but in principle: not so shocking.
President Obama's stray sentences however point to a bolder conclusion. If it's not brains or work that account for success, what is it? The answer must be … luck. Not maybe entirely luck, but luck to a great degree. By definition, however, luck is amoral. Nobody can deserve luck, otherwise he wouldn't be lucky. To the extent success is due to luck, success is undeserved—and to the extend that success is undeserved, the successful have no very strong claim to the proceeds of their success. Whereas Warren suggests that the wealthy should be taxed to repay tangible benefits they have personally received, Obama is indicating a possibility that the wealthy should be taxed … because their wealth is to a great extent an accident of fate.

This argument is not developed by the president. Indeed, he quickly drops it. Nor does he build any very radical policy conclusions upon his argument: he's proposing only the restoration of the Clinton tax rates—the tax rates that prevailed during the greatest period of private fortune-building since the 1920s. Yet people who believe in the morality of the market are not wrong to hear in those few stray sentences of the president a more radical critique of their core belief than is usually heard from American politicians.

Those who say that the Republicans are taking the president's words out of context to misrepresent him make a serious mistake. Even if we concede that the "that" in "you didn't build that" refers to roads, bridges and the Internet (and it's not so clear that it does, but let's concede it anyway), even if we restore the context in full, the president is still delivering the shocking news, as unwelcome today as it was when first propounded, that:

the race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, neither yet bread to the wise, nor yet riches to men of understanding, nor yet favour to men of skill; but time and chance happeneth to them all.
To be sure, other politicians have declared that "life is unfair." But that instruction is usually directed to society's losers. Obama is—almost uniquely—directing the message to society's winners, including the very grand winner who will soon be nominated to run for president against him. They're not used to it, and they don't like it, not one bit.

SLYY

• Getbig IV
Why "You Didn't Build That" Stings the Successful
by David Frum  | July 27, 2012 4:55 PM EDT

I love your inability to respond in anyway except with these long uninformed articles that have been disproved over and over in this thread. 

P.S.  Romney agrees 100% with Obama.

doison

• Getbig IV
  • Rum Ham
I love your inability to respond in anyway except with these long uninformed articles that have been disproved over and over in this thread. 

P.S.  Romney agrees 100% with Obama.

So Romny's just as bad as Obama?

We should vote for Obama then, right?
Y

SLYY

• Getbig IV
So Romny's just as bad as Obama?

We should vote for Obama then, right?

They both agree on the issue regarding people needing help in order to have a successful business.

Vote for whoever you want.  At least now, you will make a more informed vote.

doison

• Getbig IV
  • Rum Ham
They both agree on the issue regarding people needing help in order to have a successful business.

Vote for whoever you want.  At least now, you will make a more informed vote.

I choose not to reward failure. 
Y

SLYY

• Getbig IV

I choose not to reward failure.  

At least now, you will make a better informed decision.

Vote for whoever you want.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
Again, obama said - if you have a buisness, you didn't build that.   If he was even referring to the system we have here, he is wrong since the tax revenue generated by the businesses are was created and sustains the system since the govt has no resources without borrowing or taxing said businesses. 

again - everyone knows that Obama was referring to roads and bridges with the "you didn't build that" comment

you've had this explained to you repeatedly

the only conclusion is that you're a profoundly stupid person and truly can't understand it

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
Wreck-It Barack Column: Unscripted Moments Damage Obama’s Carefully Built Image
Freebeacon ^ | July 27, 2012 5:00 am | Matthew Continetti
Posted on July 28, 2012 2:08:26 PM EDT by parisa

One cannot help noticing the struggle between Barack Obama’s natural instincts and the serene and benevolent persona he projects to the world. Beneath the visage of a cosmetically populist, post-racial, post-partisan reformer who wants to “perfect” America and to have “millionaires and billionaires” “pay their fair share” is just another condescending, self-important, sarcastic, academic liberal Democrat, who believes in false consciousness and in scholastic theories that success in life can be attributed to birth or luck or community but not to individual effort and grit. Obama may be talented at self-fashioning, but he cannot maintain his public face constantly. The mask sometimes slips.

The real Obama emerges. He lets loose in the self-consciously ironic and pretentiously omniscient argot of the American ruling class, lecturing audiences in what he, Elizabeth Warren, and the segment producers at MSNBC treat as the new catechism. The reaction to these gaffes is always the same. His remarks spark justified criticism. There is a frenetic effort to paper over his comments and restore the impression that he is just another dad who wants to take care of one big American family. He and his lieutenants and other members of the “truth” posse indulge in mock outrage. They say the president’s words have been distorted, that he did not really say what he said, that he meant something else entirely. The activity is convulsive and furious because David Axelrod and David Plouffe understand that an unplugged Obama will damage his brand. He is not actually likable at all. And he is liable to wreck years of hard work and mythmaking the moment he goes off script.

That is the “context” behind the president’s July 13 outburst in Roanoke, Virginia:

There are a lot of wealthy, successful Americans who agree with me—because they want to give something back. They know they didn’t—look, if you’ve been successful, you didn’t get there on your own. You didn’t get there on your own. I’m always struck by people who think, well, it must be because I was just so smart. There are a lot of smart people out there. It must be because I worked harder than everybody else. Let me tell you something—there are a whole bunch of hardworking people out there. (Applause.)

If you were successful, somebody along the line gave you some help. There was a great teacher somewhere in your life. Somebody helped to create this unbelievable American system that we have that allowed you to thrive. Somebody invested in roads and bridges. If you’ve got a business—you didn’t build that. Somebody else made that happen. The Internet didn’t get invented on its own. Government research created the Internet so that all the companies could make money off the Internet.

The focus has been on Obama’s words in the second paragraph: “If you’ve got a business—you didn’t build that. Somebody else made that happen.” But this misses the point. Whether or not “you didn’t build that” refers to the “roads and bridges” of the previous sentence is irrelevant.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
333 - you didn't get to that shitty place where you're at on your own either

without government guaranteed student loans you never would have become the dumbest lawyer on the planet

how about you stop constantly reposting other people words and use some of your own for a change

Are you still pretending to not understand what "you didn't build that means" or shall we assume you're really too dumb to understand

Either way is fine and we can wrap up this 14 page beatdown

SLYY

• Getbig IV
Wreck-It Barack Column: Unscripted Moments Damage Obama’s Carefully Built Image
Freebeacon ^ | July 27, 2012 5:00 am | Matthew Continetti
Posted on July 28, 2012 2:08:26 PM EDT by parisa

One cannot help noticing the struggle between Barack Obama’s natural instincts and the serene and benevolent persona he projects to the world. Beneath the visage of a cosmetically populist, post-racial, post-partisan reformer who wants to “perfect” America and to have “millionaires and billionaires” “pay their fair share” is just another condescending, self-important, sarcastic, academic liberal Democrat, who believes in false consciousness and in scholastic theories that success in life can be attributed to birth or luck or community but not to individual effort and grit. Obama may be talented at self-fashioning, but he cannot maintain his public face constantly. The mask sometimes slips.

The real Obama emerges. He lets loose in the self-consciously ironic and pretentiously omniscient argot of the American ruling class, lecturing audiences in what he, Elizabeth Warren, and the segment producers at MSNBC treat as the new catechism. The reaction to these gaffes is always the same. His remarks spark justified criticism. There is a frenetic effort to paper over his comments and restore the impression that he is just another dad who wants to take care of one big American family. He and his lieutenants and other members of the “truth” posse indulge in mock outrage. They say the president’s words have been distorted, that he did not really say what he said, that he meant something else entirely. The activity is convulsive and furious because David Axelrod and David Plouffe understand that an unplugged Obama will damage his brand. He is not actually likable at all. And he is liable to wreck years of hard work and mythmaking the moment he goes off script.

That is the “context” behind the president’s July 13 outburst in Roanoke, Virginia:

There are a lot of wealthy, successful Americans who agree with me—because they want to give something back. They know they didn’t—look, if you’ve been successful, you didn’t get there on your own. You didn’t get there on your own. I’m always struck by people who think, well, it must be because I was just so smart. There are a lot of smart people out there. It must be because I worked harder than everybody else. Let me tell you something—there are a whole bunch of hardworking people out there. (Applause.)

The focus has been on Obama’s words in the second paragraph: “If you’ve got a business—you didn’t build that. Somebody else made that happen.” But this misses the point. Whether or not “you didn’t build that” refers to the “roads and bridges” of the previous sentence is irrelevant.

This has got to be the best article you have posted so far.  It makes zero sense. The part of the article that attempts to prove its point says, "'If you’ve got a business—you didn’t build that. Somebody else made that happen.' But this misses the point."  Okay, it misses the point, let's read on.  "Whether or not 'you didn’t build that” refers to the “roads and bridges' of the previous sentence is irrelevant."  Okay, so this line is irrelevant. 

The article states that one line "misses the point" and the other "is irrelevant."  So, what are you/the article asserting?  Do you read ANYTHING before posting it on getbig? 

Wow, hey 333386...do have anymore of these gems?

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
Since Obama was not able to coherently articulate what he meant since he is a bumbling stuttering idiot, perhaps we should just let his word salad stand as is.

SLYY

• Getbig IV
Since Obama was not able to coherently articulate what he meant since he is a bumbling stuttering idiot, perhaps we should just let his word salad stand as is.

The speech is fine as it stands.  It says the exact same thing as Romney's speech.  It should be re-titled, "Unscripted Moments Damage Romney and Obama’s Carefully Built Images."  Of course, the proof your article uses to assert this theory must have been thought of by a 1st grader who takes the short bus to school.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana

the verdict is in

you're too stupid to understand what he said

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
that guy who ran a world record 400m dash...

he didn't break that world record.   the people who biult the track had a lot to do with it.

SLYY

• Getbig IV
that guy who ran a world record 400m dash...

he didn't break that world record.   the people who biult the track had a lot to do with it.

According to Romney and Obama, but for the people who built the track, that guy would not have had a place to run on to break a world record.  If it weren't for the roads to the Olympic games, he would not have made it there to set a world record.  

Moreover, without the help from teachers or more specifically in your example, coaches, that guy would not have ran a world record.

Romney and Obama may have been onto something...  

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
  • Roger Bacon tries to be witty and fails
Seen Obama's newest commercial where he backpedals clarifies on that comment?

SLYY

• Getbig IV
Seen Obama's newest commercial where he backpedals clarifies on that comment?

Any such commercial is only needed for people too stupid to comprehend what he stated originally in his speech.

Have you seen Romney's speech, where he says the same thing as Obama?