Author Topic: Pea Protein Supplement  (Read 969 times)

Armani

• Getbig II
  • 161 confirmed kills and counting
Pea Protein Supplement
« on: August 06, 2012, 12:52:51 PM »
I'm giving this "Optimal Solutions Complete Protein and Shake Mix" a try (picked up on sale at the local drug store).  The protein mix is listed as a blend of pea protein, whey and rice protein.  There is probiotics, digestive enzymes and fiber make it interesting.

Any thoughts on the alternative protein sources. particularly pea.  From my limited reading, I found the following excerpt suggesting some non-bodybuilding benefits:

"Scientists at the University of Manitoba in Winnipeg, Canada, studied the beneficial effects of pea protein and discovered it may help prevent hypertension and kidney disease. According to Dr. Rotimi Aluko, one of the food chemists involved in the study, yellow garden pea's protein lowered the blood pressure of rats suffering from polycystic kidney disease. The study suggests pea protein could delay the onset of kidney disease in people suffering from hypertension, while also maintaining normal blood pressure and extending life for those already afflicted with kidney disease,"

http://www.livestrong.com/article/280194-what-are-the-benefits-of-pea-protein/#ixzz22nVPW2GC

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
Re: Pea Protein Supplement
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2012, 04:18:29 PM »
How does it taste and mix?

Keep in mind plant based proteins are incomplete.
:

Armani

• Getbig II
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2012, 04:48:13 PM »
How does it taste and mix?

Keep in mind plant based proteins are incomplete.

There is no vegetable taste and the texture is somewhat smoother and thicker than whey, very pleasing. I did a little poking around about the incomplete protein aspect of it.  This is what I found (keeping in mind many of these sources are trying to get you to buy a produce).  I is true that pea protein is an incomplete protein as it lacks certain amino acids (i.e.,methionine and cysteine). This can be countered with a well balanced diet in which the missing amino acids can be supplied by other foods.  In sum, I wouldn't rely on it as a sole source of protein but as a once per day, just to keep the diet diversified, it's not a bad choice.

Rammstein

• Getbig III
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2012, 11:02:50 AM »

Armani

• Getbig II
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2012, 12:56:35 PM »
Mix it with rice protein: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pea_protein

There is a rice protein component already.