Author Topic: forearms advice  (Read 6914 times)

cpluvcb

forearms advice
« on: November 30, 2005, 02:41:27 PM »
hey guys
 i was wondering, what are the best mass builder for forearms??

thx

mem

• Getbig III
  • lifetime athlete
Re: forearms advice
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2005, 08:37:12 PM »
Been training for over 20 years
and NEVER have done one specific
forearm excercise. You HIT them
with every upper body movement.

Train hard they will come . . . . . .
1 life 1 liver

mar10s

• Getbig III
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2005, 09:56:36 PM »
I don't know if this is really a "mass builder", get a bucket and fill it with sand.  You can then get your hand in there and make a fist...move it all around.  It provides a pretty good burn.  Not too fancy but sometimes its the simple stuff that works...now there's another more natural way to get some forearm and wrist work in there, but i'll leave that one to you to figure out...

mem

• Getbig III
  • lifetime athlete
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2005, 07:45:55 AM »
I wanted to extend that but
the truth (in my case was better)
Medford, m a y b e thats why
I never had to do specific
forearm work . . . .

But then my right arm would be
much-much bigger :-)
1 life 1 liver

bmacsys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2005, 10:14:35 AM »
hey guys
 i was wondering, what are the best mass builder for forearms??

thx

Heavy, strict standing reverse curls and wrist curls on a bench. A couple sets apiece should do. They should be worked directly just like any body part.
The House that Ruth built

mem

• Getbig III
  • lifetime athlete
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2005, 08:14:01 PM »
And (joking aside) on a serious note too - DO NOT use straps when doing back routines . . .
seriously I think I have well developed arms from Y E A R S of bicycling - bar grip . . .
1 life 1 liver

Bear03

• Getbig IV
  • back in the swing of things
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2005, 09:51:34 PM »
I recently started supersetting chest and back, no straps- forearms are as sore as any other body part...
:-)

bmacsys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2005, 09:20:46 AM »
I recently started supersetting chest and back, no straps- forearms are as sore as any other body part...

Forearms are like calves. A very dense muscle that needs direct work.

Bear03

• Getbig IV
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2005, 04:45:48 PM »

Forearms are like calves. A very dense muscle that needs direct work.

um, what?  try, forearms are like calves- a muscle group that tends to be inexorably linked to genetics.  case in point: runners, no direct calve work, great calves.  Baseball players, no direct forearm work, great forearms.

bmacsys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2005, 05:35:21 PM »
um, what?  try, forearms are like calves- a muscle group that tends to be inexorably linked to genetics.  case in point: runners, no direct calve work, great calves.  Baseball players, no direct forearm work, great forearms.

Yes, calves and forearms are alike in that they can be very hard to build if you don't have much to start with. Ok, how many baseball players have forearms like Garvey or Molitor? Not many. But swinging the bat in batting practice a hundred swings a day isn't direct forearm work? I think it is. To generate bat speed forearms and wrist play a big part so naturally if you can hit in the major leagues you have to have strength in your wrists, hands and forearms. Sprinters have big calves but saying they don't get direct calf work is wrong. They aren't lifting but its direct high intensity calfwork none the less sprinting.

Bear03

• Getbig IV
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2005, 05:50:04 PM »
Yes, calves and forearms are alike in that they can be very hard to build if you don't have much to start with. Ok, how many baseball players have forearms like Garvey or Molitor? Not many. But swinging the bat in batting practice a hundred swings a day isn't direct forearm work? I think it is. To generate bat speed forearms and wrist play a big part so naturally if you can hit in the major leagues you have to have strength in your wrists, hands and forearms. Sprinters have big calves but saying they don't get direct calf work is wrong. They aren't lifting but its direct high intensity calfwork none the less sprinting.

The two examples you cited are the two examples i was thinking of.  Yes, these movements intensely stress the respective muscles, however, they are not DIRECT work as you claim necessary for forearms.  Just because the muscle is a dominant contractor in the movement does not mean the muscle is directly stressed.  On the other hand, if you're referring to indirect stress as that which you get by balancing during squats, etc, than yes, direct stress is necessary.  My point is that just the same as swinging the bat can stress forearms along with other muscles, supersetting heavy incline DB presses and chins, bench presses with DB rows, etc, can have a profound effect on the forearm muscles.

bmacsys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2005, 06:05:50 PM »
The two examples you cited are the two examples i was thinking of.  Yes, these movements intensely stress the respective muscles, however, they are not DIRECT work as you claim necessary for forearms.  Just because the muscle is a dominant contractor in the movement does not mean the muscle is directly stressed.  On the other hand, if you're referring to indirect stress as that which you get by balancing during squats, etc, than yes, direct stress is necessary.  My point is that just the same as swinging the bat can stress forearms along with other muscles, supersetting heavy incline DB presses and chins, bench presses with DB rows, etc, can have a profound effect on the forearm muscles.

True enough. Makes sense. I can't deny that though I think most people should throw in some direct fore arm work.

Jr. Yates

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2005, 06:20:55 PM »
mine started to grow really well when i started doing superset-dropsets for Bi's.  Especially heavy hammers into reverse curls....wicked bicep pump and my forearms grow but i don't do this every arm workout however.
bodybuildersreality.com

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2005, 07:44:16 AM »
there's a number of different exercises you can do, i wouldn't do all but let's say pick 3 and do once a week:
wrist curls, reversed wrist curls, hammer curls, wrist roller, behind back wrist curls, bb/db static holds (especially with a thick bar), chins bar hanging, sledge lever.
Z

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2005, 09:48:35 AM »
Well forearm was my weapon in my sport.  I did every exercise you can think of for forearm strngth.  I trained my right forearm just abuot everyday in form or another.  I did allot and I mean allot of gripping exercise.  But, no matter how much I worked my forearm after a tournament my arm was in a sling.  My forearm and elbow region were dying.  Armwrestling works muscles and tendons you never knew you had.  You want big strong forearms, armwrestle every night.  I promsie you your forearms will blow anyone who lifts to get the big and strong anyday.

DFW Muscle

« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2005, 10:00:30 AM »
I work them using a 12" dowl rod with a 10 pound plate at the end of the rod and do forearm "curls" with that.  Works really well for me.

WhiteHulk4

• Getbig III
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2005, 01:09:47 PM »
Been training for over 20 years
and NEVER have done one specific
forearm excercise. You HIT them
with every upper body movement.

Train hard they will come . . . . . .

I used to believe this as well.  However, as my upper arms continued to grow, they made my forearms look more and more pathetic.  I started doing super-sets of behind-the-back barbell wrist curls (fully extending my fingers at the bottom) and E-Z Bar Reverse curls - at the end of my arm routine and my forearms have responded tremendously!

bmacsys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2005, 04:15:29 PM »
Well forearm was my weapon in my sport.  I did every exercise you can think of for forearm strngth.  I trained my right forearm just abuot everyday in form or another.  I did allot and I mean allot of gripping exercise.  But, no matter how much I worked my forearm after a tournament my arm was in a sling.  My forearm and elbow region were dying.  Armwrestling works muscles and tendons you never knew you had.  You want big strong forearms, armwrestle every night.  I promsie you your forearms will blow anyone who lifts to get the big and strong anyday.

All I can think of is seeing that guy on Wide World of Sports as a kid snapping his arm in those arm wrestling championships.

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2005, 08:16:32 PM »
Yes when a arms breaks it is awesome.  I have broke two.  One guy is Texas I broke and then Bruce Wey at the Nationals.  He got back in time to see me win the Nationals that year andhad me sign his cast. Bruce appeared in Over The Top.  He was the guy who drank the motor oil.

Rodwitdabod111

• Getbig II
  • Get Big or Die Tryin
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2005, 05:51:09 AM »
How about wrist curls i usually use 50lbs in each arm
GetBigorDieTryn

bmacsys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2005, 08:55:49 AM »
Yes when a arms breaks it is awesome.  I have broke two.  One guy is Texas I broke and then Bruce Wey at the Nationals.  He got back in time to see me win the Nationals that year andhad me sign his cast. Bruce appeared in Over The Top.  He was the guy who drank the motor oil.

When the arm breaks the other guy is still going full force. Does this cause the other guys bone to literally snap off?

bmacsys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2005, 08:57:16 AM »

Can a guy come back from that type of injury and still be 100%?

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2005, 10:13:03 AM »
Actually in most cases it is called a spiral fracture.  The bone twists and breaks.  I put on a show here at Pearl Harbor and a brother and sister broke their arms.  I was the ref both times.  I swear to god I cannot watch armwrestling anymore.  The sound of the bone snapping is just horrible.  You can ask anyone how I just always now turn away and cover my ears.

And yes you can come back after this.  I actually snapped my tendon.  It was as loud as any broken arm.  The thing the guy literally was laying on my arm and it finally gave.  The ref grabbed my arm and was holding it.  But, it didn't hurt right away and I could bend my fingers and arm so we thought nothing of it.  I mean we checked everything and couldn't see or feel a broken bone.  SO we thought maybe something happened to the table.  Well I went to play Pacman after all this.  Well about 30 minutes later my arm just started hurting so bad.  I look down at my elbow and the entire area was as black and blue as you culd get.  I went to the emegency and they it ended up I had hyperextended my tendon in my elbow.  It took about 3 months to heal.  ANyway, I have seen manybroken arms and have broke two myself and I just can't take it anymore.  Horrible sound especially when the guy jumps around on stage with his arm flailing all around. 

brianX

• Getbig IV
  • Kiwiol has 13" arms!
« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2005, 01:50:23 PM »
Heavy bench presses will build massive forearms.
hahahahahahahahahahahaha

bmacsys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2005, 07:38:53 AM »
Heavy bench presses will build massive forearms.

How? Your forearm is designed to grip and pull. In the benchpress it does literally nothing. I can see if you say back  work but not chest?